Official NCAA Basketball Thread (Spoilers)

For everyone that is still waiting to fill out their brackets....Kyrie Irving returned to practice for Duke today! There's a chance that he'll return to the Duke lineup this weekend. Irving returns to practice and I get picked for the Morgan Cup? Best day ever!

For everyone that is still waiting to fill out their brackets....Kyrie Irving returned to practice for Duke today! There's a chance that he'll return to the Duke lineup this weekend. Irving returns to practice and I get picked for the Morgan Cup? Best day ever!

what? I thought he would get a medical redhirt for missing so many games. I guess it doesnt matter since he will prob leave early.

what? I thought he would get a medical redhirt for missing so many games. I guess it doesnt matter since he will prob leave early.

Medical redshirt was never going to happen because there's no way he'd stay for 4 years at Duke. He's been running on his own for about a week or so, today was his first practice with the entire team. Coach K said that if Irving plays this weekend, it will be spot minutes coming off the bench. Even if he's at like 80% of what he was earlier this year, it's a game-changer for Duke.

Medical redshirt was never going to happen because there's no way he'd stay for 4 years at Duke. He's been running on his own for about a week or so, today was his first practice with the entire team. Coach K said that if Irving plays this weekend, it will be spot minutes coming off the bench. Even if he's at like 80% of what he was earlier this year, it's a game-changer for Duke.

I agree...that guy is nasty! well congrats to you for that. Michael Jordan is supposed to suit up for Carolina

wow, how low budget is TruTv?
It feels like they've never shown anything live before. Commercialls coming on too late, Sound levels way off between in game and commercials. Man I hope none of the games I want to watch are on this channel. Plus its's the only march madness channel I get that's NOT in HD.
@cjap sorry to hear about your region not getting TRUTV. but youre not missing much.....

truTV was formerly CourtTV. ITs carried in HD & looks fantastic thru Dish Network, channel 204.

Anyone else chipped off that they consider these first four games the "First Round"? The CBS announcers have said multiple times that the winner has advanced to the "2nd round". Now I just noticed they have all the Thursday/Friday games scrolling on the bottom of the screen listed as "2nd RD"... What's the problem with calling it the "Opening Round" or something else... I understand not wanting to refer to it as the "play-in" game... But how can you call it the First Round when less than 12% of the teams participate.

truTV was formerly CourtTV. ITs carried in HD & looks fantastic thru Dish Network, channel 204.

Anyone else chipped off that they consider these first four games the "First Round"? The CBS announcers have said multiple times that the winner has advanced to the "2nd round". Now I just noticed they have all the Thursday/Friday games scrolling on the bottom of the screen listed as "2nd RD"... What's the problem with calling it the "Opening Round" or something else... I understand not wanting to refer to it as the "play-in" game... But how can you call it the First Round when less than 12% of the teams participate.

I hate that too.

Something I will never understand is why they call the 2 games that are going on tonight first round games and saying there advancing the the second round if they win. But yet its actually the first round there advancing to. They need to come up with something different than first round when actually its just a game deciding if they get to play in the first round.

edit: haha whoops. I just skimmed big time, already been said above.

yeah i agree, i don't get it either. They used to correctly call it a play in game and the thursday/friday games the first round. not sure what pc horse they got on that they felt the urge to start calling the play in games the first round. the espn headline "unca first 16 seed to win in first round" umm no.

President Obama Picked Kansas in his bracket this morning.

President Obama Picked Kansas in his bracket this morning.

I seem to remember his bracket last year did pretty good, I could be mistaken. It was great to listen to sports talk this week, all the ESPN guys have a bunch of different combos for their final fours!

must be pining for votes in the midwest. i'm not hatin', i'm just saying no politican does anything in public without an agenda to it, it's business

I seem to remember his bracket last year did pretty good, I could be mistaken. It was great to listen to sports talk this week, all the ESPN guys have a bunch of different combos for their final fours!

Other than Kansas going out in round two maybe. I think most people's brackets sucked for the most part last year.

I hear Keith Bartlow of Purdue is hurt and won't play. that could be a huge break for kansas cause they could potentially meet in the elite 8. Purdue's got some seniors who could make a run, losing bartlow would really hurt because they're not all that deep.

I heard he was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. The reason was because he punched Ryne Smith in the face at practice and gave him a concussion.

I heard he was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. The reason was because he punched Ryne Smith in the face at practice and gave him a concussion.

you are correct. i was originially misinformed. He is suspended, but i had no knowledge of the reason until now. Obviously you don't want to go around punching anybody, let alone teammates, but i'm a little surprised he's suspended indefinitely for it. stuff happens, there's always that famous story of competitiveness of Jordan punching steve kerr out in practice.

Top seeds for the 2011 tournament:

EAST: Ohio State (32-2)
WEST: Duke (30-4)
SOUTHWEST: Kansas (32-2)
SOUTHEAST: Pittsburgh (27-5)

Someone please explain to me when Kansas became part of the southwest and when a City in Penn became part of the southeast. Obviously someone missed geography class a few days in a row

Only 1 hour til tip off.

First buzzer-beater of the tournament: Matt Howard of Butler lays the ball in at the buzzer to give Butler a 60-58 win over Old Dominion. The good karma from last year's tournament is still with Butler!

First buzzer-beater of the tournament: Matt Howard of Butler lays the ball in at the buzzer to give Butler a 60-58 win over Old Dominion. The good karma from last year's tournament is still with Butler!

that was a crazy ending!

Another upset, Morehead State hits a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to go, then they blocked Louisville's 3-point attempt at the buzzer to win 62-61!

Good, only had Louis winning one game anyway
Another upset, Morehead State hits a 3-pointer with 4 seconds to go, then they blocked Louisville's 3-point attempt at the buzzer to win 62-61!

Maybe we should move all this talk into the contest thread for those competing.

Buzzer-beater #3 out of 4 games today: Temple wins by 2 points when Fernandez hits a leaner with 0.4 seconds to go. Hopefully the tournament stays this exciting the entire time!

Back