Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

i'd have:

cink: have to agree, he's playing well, is pretty solid in all aspects of the game and has a track record over there.
TW: really has to make it, and imo, this is something that he needs. he needs to reconnect, bond with some dudes, have fun, be relentless and ruthless inside the roaps. rory's called him out, and i think that will fire him up.
ZJ: very consistent and with the right partner (bubba/DJ/Phil) could be a great pairing.
fowler: would love to see him make the team. he's fearless, got good nerves, can make tons of birdies and putts, and i think would bring a fresh fun approach.

i can't wait either but i think that the US pairings will have to be just about as good as they've ever been. i wouldn't want pavin's job in this one at all. what do you think will be some of the most productive pairings for the US side?

Boy TC I am struggling with that one and I have to admit I am lost here. My biggest problem with the makeup of the US team is not the quality of the individual players but the pairings that Pavin is going to have to put together and the pairings he is going to have to go up against. Don’t worry about criticizing the picks I am making here as I am in no position to make what I think will be the toughest pairings decision any US cap has had to make in a long time. I am going to take a shot here just to get the ball rolling and give people something to play with. These pairings are not ranked by productivity as much as they are an effort to make some pairings that I think will work.

So maybe Cink with DJ, Stricker with Kutcher. Maybe ZJ with Tiger. Phil with Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson with Fowler, Furyk with Overton. Watson with Fowler is either a huge gamble or could be a real hot combination and in that case that could be a very productive combination or a giant bust. I could see changing Cink with Stricker and Furyk with Overton is a complete guess on my part. In fact that is the way I feel about the whole deal on the US side. It looks to me like either magic or mayhem.

Remember when Phil and Tiger were paired together and basically got pummeled?

Boy TC I am struggling with that one and I have to admit I am lost here. My biggest problem with the makeup of the US team is not the quality of the individual players but the pairings that Pavin is going to have to put together and the pairings he is going to have to go up against. Don’t worry about criticizing the picks I am making here as I am in no position to make what I think will be the toughest pairings decision any US cap has had to make in a long time. I am going to take a shot here just to get the ball rolling and give people something to play with. These pairings are not ranked by productivity as much as they are an effort to make some pairings that I think will work.

So maybe Cink with DJ, Stricker with Kutcher. Maybe ZJ with Tiger. Phil with Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson with Fowler, Furyk with Overton. Watson with Fowler is either a huge gamble or could be a real hot combination and in that case that could be a very productive combination or a giant bust. I could see changing Cink with Stricker and Furyk with Overton is a complete guess on my part. In fact that is the way I feel about the whole deal on the US side. It looks to me like either magic or mayhem.

Remember when Phil and Tiger were paired together and basically got pummeled?

I think your pretty close, although I'd put Fowler with Furyk and let Watson and Overton get with it. Fowler is strong, but someone with experience would be nice and Watson/Overton don't seem the type to play well with others, lol. But, to strong personalities might do their own job to the same goal.

edit: boy, I don't envey Pvin, lol. The more I think on it this will be tough. At least with this crew personalities shouldn't be too much of a hot spot.

Last edited:
Yea I know the Fowler, Watson pairing is a real gamble. A rookie like me could throw that one out there but Pavin would probably be criticized to death for doing that. But that is the problem. The Euro’s will be the home team so they will be able to match their pairings to the US pairings. The Euro’s have so many young guns/rookies on their team that there are bound to be some matchups of rookies bashing away at each other. I have Fowler there for the fun of it anyway. I have to think Glover will get the nod from Pavin.

I definately think four captains picks makes way more sense as it gives the captain a chance both to match up players that might play well as a team and that have a good chance to compliment the automatic picks and pick guys that are hot at the time of the Ryder Cup.

Any opinions about how what is billed as a purpose built course (said to have been built specifically to host team events like the Ryder Cup) is going to impact the match? I guess it is a pretty long course. One write up said that there are no signature holes but half of the holes have water and it is a risk/reward kind of a course. Beyond the obvious home court kind of advantage, anyone have any idea whether the course itself will favor one squad over the other based on the players we know about at this point?

Your Corey Pavin, who you got

Your Corey Pavin, who you got

Ok, we have threads talking about the ryder cup and all that, no oh so and so doesn't deserve this honor or what, no bashing others picks. Your Corey Pavin, who you got and why?

I got
Tiger Woods --> world number one you gotta take him
Ricky Fowler --> a lot of hype around this kid he has really good game and i think he can help pick it up
Zach Johnson --> real close to qualifying pretty good cup record i gotta go with the hot hand
Stewart Cink --> again hot hand and good veteran presence on the team

Good idea for a thread, you've still got 1 pick left Mr. Pavin...who else you got?

I've got:
Tiger- no way he doesn't make the team, none.
Zach Johnson- ice water in his veins, rock solid pick.
Stewart Cink- tons of experience to help offset having 6 rookies on the team
Rickie Fowler- 2010 version of AK (2008 Ryder Cup stud)

My picks must be:

Tiger - no one in their right mind would leave out the world's best no matter what form they are in. Especially when playing match play against him, just his presence will be a factor
Zach Johnson - he's just a solid player and can be counted on when you need to.
AK - the young ones seem to have no fear and they just go for their shots no matter what. If AK is on, he'll be unbeatable. Hoping for an Ian Poulter 2008 performance from AK.
Rickie Fowler - Same reason as AK. He's another on/off player, but 2010 suggests he's pretty much "on" right now. And I wanna see him in the Ryder Cup gear!

The grammatical error in the title of this thread kills me haha.

dude i don't speak no engrish jus bad engrish

Tiger - a few weeks ago I would have left him off the team but he is playing well enough to be on the team and they need him for the money he will generate.
Zach Johnson - he has been playing better and not enough other Americans playing better.
Stewart Cink - Solid team mate even though his game hasn't been the best this year but he is getting better lately.
Rickie Fowler - His energy will be good for the team and I think he will do well regardless.

Tiger Woods - I think its been said already, gotta pick him and I think hes starting to come around with his game. No better place then the Ryder Cup.
Zach Johnson - He's playing good, steady golf.
Rickie Fowler - I think its important to get the young guns started early and Rickie is fearless too. Let'em loose!
Ricky Barnes - Team Rick!

Tiger - looks like he is rounding in to form
Zach Johnson - nice wedge player, the stage won't be too big for him
Stewart Cink - Like Tiger, seems to be playing better as of late
JB Holmes - why not add another bomber right? Ryder Cup experience, I would take him.

I wanted AK when we started talking about it minutes after the PGA Championship, but he has not been playing well.

I'm concerned that picking Tiger will be a big mistake. His historical stats are not especially good, he wasn't much of a team player before, and since he has made such a mess of his life, there is no reason to believe that he will do any better. I'm sure he will be picked, I'm just not convinced that he will be a positive force on our team.

Good idea for a thread, you've still got 1 pick left Mr. Pavin...who else you got?

I've got:
Tiger- no way he doesn't make the team, none.
Zach Johnson- ice water in his veins, rock solid pick.
Stewart Cink- tons of experience to help offset having 6 rookies on the team
Rickie Fowler- 2010 version of AK (2008 Ryder Cup stud)

Tiger - a few weeks ago I would have left him off the team but he is playing well enough to be on the team and they need him for the money he will generate.
Zach Johnson - he has been playing better and not enough other Americans playing better.
Stewart Cink - Solid team mate even though his game hasn't been the best this year but he is getting better lately.
Rickie Fowler - His energy will be good for the team and I think he will do well regardless.

This- for pretty much the same reasons

The grammatical error in the title of this thread kills me haha.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that was MY corey Pavin. Back in the box Corey, back in the box.

You guys see Tiger's interview after his round today? When asked if he hopes to get a call today from corey he said. "I hope so. I hope he's still got my number" Deep down even Tiger knows he should be on that team, No question.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that was MY corey Pavin. Back in the box Corey, back in the box.

You guys see Tiger's interview after his round today? When asked if he hopes to get a call today from corey he said. "I hope so. I hope he's still got my number" Deep down even Tiger knows he should be on that team, No question.

Looks like Tiger is having fun again...he's on my team for sure!

Looks like Tiger is having fun again...he's on my team for sure!

yeah your right. He was smiling and appeard much more relaxed during the interview.

I think Bo Van Pelt would be good in matchplay. But Id take Tiger, Rickie, ZJ and Leonard[he could throw the dagger at mooby again, plus hes playing pretty good.].

Zach, Tiger, Rickie and........... Hoffman?

Zach, Tiger, Rickie and........... Hoffman?

They really interviews hoffman hard about the chance to be a captains pick for the ryder cup. I felt bad that they were getting his hopes up because I don't think he has a chance. It is just too late to make a hard run at a position. Had he been hot for a couple weeks, or even for something longer than just today I think he would have a chance... but with only having one dominate round in the past several week he would be a tough pick.

I would still take Cink, because he is a proven winner on a links course

Back