One Tour Banning Belly Putter...For Now

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The Gecko EuroPro Tour is banning the belly putter for now. Not the most well known golf tour, but perhaps it may generate some conversation?

Latest Rules Update
September 04, 2011

This is to inform all professionals competing on the Gecko EuroPro Tour that until further tests can show that there is no unfair advantage gained by the use of the belly putter.

Belly putters will be banned from all Gecko EuroPro Tour events from immediate affect.

All queries should be directed to Tour director Paul Netherton

Sorry about the broken English, but this is a direct quote from their website.

http://geckoeuroprotour.com/

Wonder what they would do if Eldrick, Lee or Phil showed up with their galleries and wanted to play with a belly putter.

Wow this is nuts. Wonder if anyone else will follow suit?

It's funny how they keep mentioning the fact that Phil likes his belly putter from 10 ft in but is having problems adjusting to the longer putts. They are not easy as some think especially from long distance. If anything they are a disadvantage from 20 ft out and especially uphill long putts...

It's funny how they keep mentioning the fact that Phil likes his belly putter from 10 ft in but is having problems adjusting to the longer putts. They are not easy as some think especially from long distance. If anything they are a disadvantage from 20 ft out and especially uphill long putts...

Umm OG? Did you read the first post? hehehe

Umm OG? Did you read the first post? hehehe

Yep but I'm just saying there will be some talk about other tours using them now. People thinking they are an automatic crutch need to try one for a week or two if you can even stand it that long. Heck I had one of those breast putters for about two weeks and tried to give it away. Nobody wanted it so I put it out by the dumpster at the golf course. Nobody wanted it so I moved it back in and put $15.00 on it and it finally sold. Those things are not that easy to adjust to!

I do have a belly putter on order but it will be the last one I try and only because it is a Ghost Spider putter. It felt really good in the store but we shall see after it hits the green grass......

Wow this is nuts. Wonder if anyone else will follow suit?

I doubt we will see many other Tours but a ban on it. They say that they are banning it to see if it gives an unfair advantage, but for the most part, through the play of the folks with the long putters, it hasnt SHOWN an unfair advantage. It's not like it's a magical putter that makes everything go in without effort, a lot of guys have tried them and said they putted worse with them. Everyone has their own feel for the game, for some it works, some it doesnt.

I doubt we will see many other Tours but a ban on it. They say that they are banning it to see if it gives an unfair advantage, but for the most part, through the play of the folks with the long putters, it hasnt SHOWN an unfair advantage. It's not like it's a magical putter that makes everything go in without effort, a lot of guys have tried them and said they putted worse with them. Everyone has their own feel for the game, for some it works, some it doesnt.

And it's not like this is a major (or really, even a minor) tour anyway.

Going to have to watch I cant see it catching on with the Ban

And it's not like this is a major (or really, even a minor) tour anyway.

I still see it as quite a big thing. A pro tour is effectively going against R&A/PGA directive. Not that there's anything to stop them banning it, but it's quite a move.

Did you guys see Feherty a couple weeks ago when Bones said if there was one rule he could change on the PGA tour, he would ban the belly putter - he thinks it's terrible. Now his guy is using one!? I agree with him by the way, I hate 'em.

Did you guys see Feherty a couple weeks ago when Bones said if there was one rule he could change on the PGA tour, he would ban the belly putter - he thinks it's terrible. Now his guy is using one!? I agree with him by the way, I hate 'em.

Have you ever tried one and if not what do you hate about them?

I personally do not care for them, but they are legal as approval of the PGA and the R & A has stated, so I have nothing against them. I kind of think this Gecko EuroPro Tour may be seeking the limelight as much, if not more, than they are seeking to see if there is an unfair advantage. As others in this thread have already mentioned, it certainly does not appear to give any distinct advantage.

No one cares what the caddies think. Why do you "hate em"? I own one and have used it a little but not for several months. As long as they are legal, I could care less who uses them. The human still has to to make the stroke. I think everyone is making too big a deal out of them. They have been around a long time. Until someone one putts every hole, I don't see the issue.

Even though we have seen a big jump in technology the past ten years or so, the average scores have pretty much stayed the same and most course records have stood for years. I say let technology run its natural course. There have been limits set, and that should be good enough. I hate the idea of rolling back technology a lot more than I hate long putters. The groove rule was a huge mistake that has done nothing but cost the OEM's and players a lot of money. It did nothing to change the pro players who make up 0.001% of all the worlds golfers.

I think the Lizard Tour is using the fact that belly putters are in the news right now as a way to draw some attention to themselves.

Have you ever tried one and if not what do you hate about them?

I haven't and I didn't mean I hate using them; I dislike watching them in action and IMO they change the activity of putting completely. Yes someone still has to make the stroke, but I'm guessing Rocco can't tee off with his "V-harness" on so why would we allow someone to connect the club to their body. I'm sure eighteen people will tell me how one has nothing to do with the other, and I understand many feel differently about the belly putter, but I just can't go for it.

No one cares what the caddies think. Why do you "hate em"? I own one and have used it a little but not for several months. As long as they are legal, I could care less who uses them. The human still has to to make the stroke. I think everyone is making too big a deal out of them. They have been around a long time. Until someone one putts every hole, I don't see the issue.

Even though we have seen a big jump in technology the past ten years or so, the average scores have pretty much stayed the same and most course records have stood for years. I say let technology run its natural course. There have been limits set, and that should be good enough. I hate the idea of rolling back technology a lot more than I hate long putters. The groove rule was a huge mistake that has done nothing but cost the OEM's and players a lot of money. It did nothing to change the pro players who make up 0.001% of all the worlds golfers.

Really?! One of the most famous caddies in the world and his opinion is irrelevant. Where exactly would that put yours on the importance scale?

This has nothing to do with technology and doesn't compare in any way to grooves or driver heads. Those clubs are still swung with two hands on the grip as they should be.

We do have several should belly putters be legal or used or whatever threads. Should we just merge this one into one of those?

Really?! One of the most famous caddies in the world and his opinion is irrelevant. Where exactly would that put yours on the importance scale?

This has nothing to do with technology and doesn't compare in any way to grooves or driver heads. Those clubs are still swung with two hands on the grip as they should be.

Bones opinion appears to have not been at all important to the one person closely connected to him, Phil. Outside of that, it is simply another opinion, just like mine, which really means nothing to many. I respect your opinion, I was simply asking why you do not like them. Many will also not agree that the long putter is not related to other equipment issues. Long driver shafts, large driver heads, balls that spin, balls that don't spin are all part of todays current equipment rules and make the game very different than the game invented all so long ago. Hard to address one, while over looking another.

We do have several should belly putters be legal or used or whatever threads. Should we just merge this one into one of those?

I agree. This is not the first time this topic has been touched here and it will not be the last.

Do you hate it when they are "anchored" in? What about the style that Adam Scott uses? I have played around with one, and really liked the feel. It was 43", but i did not anchor it into my stomach, just liked the feel of the longer grip/shaft and felt I putted great with it.

Go ahead and merge, keep all the belly putter talk in one place, as this one is starting to mirror the one that has been around.

The Gecko EuroPro Tour is banning the belly putter for now. Not the most well known golf tour, but perhaps it may generate some conversation?

Latest Rules Update
September 04, 2011

This is to inform all professionals competing on the Gecko EuroPro Tour that until further tests can show that there is no unfair advantage gained by the use of the belly putter.

Belly putters will be banned from all Gecko EuroPro Tour events from immediate affect.

All queries should be directed to Tour director Paul Netherton

Sorry about the broken English, but this is a direct quote from their website.

http://geckoeuroprotour.com/

Thanks for the update Sean. Even if it is only for a little bit - nice job creating free advertising by their PR department. Everyone is going to get up in arms. Then they'll allow them again. But it was smart thinking on their part.

I have tried two belly putters and two long putters and never found an advantage in either one. I was REALLY hoping for an advantage at the time because my putting was the one thing that kept my scores from dropping. I tried every technique I could and still could not find that advantage some seem to thing these magic weapons bring. In fact my putting got worse because I could not stay with one long enough to develop any sort of skill with it. Like I said earlier I am going to try one more of them. If the Ghost spider 43 incher does not work, I am through with them, at least until something comes out that peaks my attention again... lol

Gray:

I experimented with both the belly putter and ski pole style putters when my stroke went south.. more like toilet bowl swirly. I was real comfortable from 10 and in but lag putts were horrendous for a long time. Ultimately I ended going back to a conventional length putter.

Alex

BTW... I'm not saying that I'm like Phil.

I have tried two belly putters and two long putters and never found an advantage in either one. I was REALLY hoping for an advantage at the time because my putting was the one thing that kept my scores from dropping. I tried every technique I could and still could not find that advantage some seem to thing these magic weapons bring. In fact my putting got worse because I could not stay with one long enough to develop any sort of skill with it. Like I said earlier I am going to try one more of them. If the Ghost spider 43 incher does not work, I am through with them, at least until something comes out that peaks my attention again... lol

For what it's worth, because of the big change from traditional putters, Johnny Miller says you've got to hit AT LEAST 1,000 putts with a long putter before you'll know whether it works for you or not.

Thanks for the update Sean. Even if it is only for a little bit - nice job creating free advertising by their PR department. Everyone is going to get up in arms. Then they'll allow them again. But it was smart thinking on their part.
I'm sure that's it Tim. :) However, I'm sure they'll allow them when they complete their study.

Back