One Tour Banning Belly Putter...For Now

I guess I have to throw out a different take than I'm seeing here so far. It's not like these are brand new and just invented, or just starting to hit the pro level circuts. How can they outlaw a product like this BEFORE the testing begins? I could see a product being brought out, tested and no approved, but this is already being accepted. I personally don't like them, but thats beside the point.

For what it's worth, because of the big change from traditional putters, Johnny Miller says you've got to hit AT LEAST 1,000 putts with a long putter before you'll know whether it works for you or not.

Then that's the problem with myself and many other amateur golfers who have tried and failed. We hate to put in the practice time in the hot summer months stroking the flat stick to get better. Also I know for a fact the older you get the more it hurts your back standing over putts, trying to hone your skills. Good point.

I personally do not care for them, but they are legal as approval of the PGA and the R & A has stated, so I have nothing against them. I kind of think this Gecko EuroPro Tour may be seeking the limelight as much, if not more, than they are seeking to see if there is an unfair advantage. As others in this thread have already mentioned, it certainly does not appear to give any distinct advantage.

I think the Lizard Tour is using the fact that belly putters are in the news right now as a way to draw some attention to themselves.

Thanks for the update Sean. Even if it is only for a little bit - nice job creating free advertising by their PR department. Everyone is going to get up in arms. Then they'll allow them again. But it was smart thinking on their part.

I'm sure that's it Tim. :) However, I'm sure they'll allow them when they complete their study.

That is really the only feasible reason for this announcement.

It's not like the rules committee can keep up with all the changes. If I remember correctly there weren't any rules in place for MOI/COR until after the technology exploded. The new groove rule is an attempt to keep every golf course in the world from having 550 yard par 4s. So, now that more players are using the long putter, and winning with it, it isn't so inconceivable that the governing bodies of golf now focus their efforts on seeing if there is an advantage to using this long club and, if so, handle it as they see fit.

I say ban them at every level below seniors.

For what it's worth, because of the big change from traditional putters, Johnny Miller says you've got to hit AT LEAST 1,000 putts with a long putter before you'll know whether it works for you or not.

Who is Johnny Miller? His opinion may be worth less than mine.....:D

It's not like the rules committee can keep up with all the changes. If I remember correctly there weren't any rules in place for MOI/COR until after the technology exploded. The new groove rule is an attempt to keep every golf course in the world from having 550 yard par 4s. So, now that more players are using the long putter, and winning with it, it isn't so inconceivable that the governing bodies of golf now focus their efforts on seeing if there is an advantage to using this long club and, if so, handle it as they see fit.

I say ban them at every level below seniors.

The groove rule was changed because of the world class play of 0.001% of all the worlds golfers. Has the groove change worked or changed anything on tour, or are the courses still under attack? Par is still safe at my home course. Our course record was set in the early 60's. Now I'll get back on topic....

The groove rule was changed because of the world class play of 0.001% of all the worlds golfers. Has the groove change worked or changed anything on tour, or are the courses still under attack? Par is still safe at my home course. Our course record was set in the early 60's. Now I'll get back on topic....
Agree with you 100% Hoosier. Yes, back on topic. lol

No one cares what the caddies think. Why do you "hate em"? I own one and have used it a little but not for several months. As long as they are legal, I could care less who uses them. The human still has to to make the stroke. I think everyone is making too big a deal out of them. They have been around a long time. Until someone one putts every hole, I don't see the issue.

Even though we have seen a big jump in technology the past ten years or so, the average scores have pretty much stayed the same and most course records have stood for years. I say let technology run its natural course. There have been limits set, and that should be good enough. I hate the idea of rolling back technology a lot more than I hate long putters. The groove rule was a huge mistake that has done nothing but cost the OEM's and players a lot of money. It did nothing to change the pro players who make up 0.001% of all the worlds golfers.

How did the groove rule cost a lot of players money?

I really see no reason for this. Snobbery if you ask me. Since every pro can use one where are they coming up with this ruling?

How did the groove rule cost a lot of players money?

Back off topic......

The cost of new wedges. They don't hand em out for free to everyone that was forced to change. The OEM's spend millions because of the change.

Back on topic again......

This here is a basic summation of why I don't like the belly putter. "I can't stand the belly putter. I think it should be abolished. Putting is a difficult skill, and the best putters always seemed to overcome those tingling fingers and hands we all feel over a short putt. The broomsticks and bellies fundamentally change what that all-important 14th club is supposed to do and be."

That was written by Damon Hack (whether I should be echoing the opinion of a dude named hack is another matter) on golf.com's pga tour confidential. Now my feeling (which is his feeling) is based off of zero research, just a feeling I get (which is why I waited for someone, in this case Hack, who I assume is more knowledgeable and has done research on the subject).
I believe in the idea that putting is being able to control the nerves, keep the hands steady and make a good stroke, at a good pace and on a good line, especially those tweener putts. If it is true that belly putting simply takes the hands/nerves/and ultimately stroke out of the equation, then I think that's not golf.

Now i'm stating this, again, with no proof other than the words of a person who I assume knows more than I do about it, so I'm prepared to be very wrong; but at the current time, it's how I feel.

IMO, you can't knock something till you try it, so, I'm going to build one of my customs up and try it. If I hate it I'll say so, if I don't I'll say so. I was always a knee-jerk "anti" guy, I don't think that's fair of me having not tried it to see what my fuss is all about.

Bottom line is its legal right now, get over it. I personally don't give a crap what this "tour" says. Nothing from the PGA so whatever. Just a pub stunt IMO.

I really see no reason for this. Snobbery if you ask me. Since every pro can use one where are they coming up with this ruling?

I was thinking of the same thing. How is it considered an "unfair advantage"? Every player had the opportunity to use or not use one.

Absolutely ridiculous. Some mini tour wants to ban it but the euro tour and the PGA wont.....that's just some little unknown tour trying to get noticed and in the news. Stuff like this really drives me up a wall. Be content with what you are and be quiet. When the European and American PGA tours do it, then people can care about it.

BulldogsGolf

Absolutely ridiculous. Some mini tour wants to ban it but the euro tour and the PGA wont.....that's just some little unknown tour trying to get noticed and in the news. Stuff like this really drives me up a wall. Be content with what you are and be quiet. When the European and American PGA tours do it, then people can care about it.

BulldogsGolf

My thoughts right here.

My local putt-putt place has also banned belly putters. This seems like a huge push, brace yourself, the PGA Tour is next... :bulgy-eyes:

This is nothing more than a stunt in my eyes. They want media attention and they got it at the expense of pissing 1 or 2 guys off. Big deal lizards, big deal.

My local putt-putt place has also banned belly putters. This seems like a huge push, brace yourself, the PGA Tour is next... :bulgy-eyes:

This is nothing more than a stunt in my eyes. They want media attention and they got it at the expense of pissing 1 or 2 guys off. Big deal lizards, big deal.

As you can see, I agree with you Thainer, but I do have to say I feel you are biased due to actually using a belly putter (an :odyssey: none the less......). :D

wow....there are so many threads about belly putters and the like,and every one ends up being the same debate about whether we like them or not and if they should be banned.

i don't see what the problem is,technically you are allowed to use any club in your bag if i'm correct for putting....driver,3 wood,wedge and so on and know one has an unfair advantage over someone else because anyone can use the belly putter if they wish to do so.belly putters aren't winning every week so whats the problem.look at adam scott for instance,he went through a spell where he practically dissapeared off the face of the planet and struggled real bad with his putting.now he's doing well again and putting very well with the broom handle,making a good living again and giving us good entertainment......who cares if its down to the broom handle or not and if it is then well done to the man.in my opinion it would be difficult as hell to putt with one of those things.

There will be a lot more of this at the end of the year and would be surprised if the PGA doesn't.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

My reason for thinking long and belly putters should be banned is based upon the change in the traditional swinging of a club. With all other clubs in a bag, a golfer must contend with swing path, alignment, face, etc. With a long or belly putter, one is allowed to virtually, I don't think completely, eliminate a factor in swinging a club; maintaining a square face to target or intended line. With a "normal" putter, one picks a line, judges speed on the line and strikes the ball squarely. If a pressure putt or the hands are a little sweaty or some other factor, one's hand(s), arm(s) or shoulder(s) could turn slightly resulting in a push with the heel coming through before the rest of the face or a pull with the toe coming through before the rest of the club. Because of the pendulum effect created by anchoring the club to one's body, I feel one does receive an advantage by lessening the chance of striking the ball with a non-square face upon an intended line.

Because of the pendulum effect created by anchoring the club to one's body, I feel one does receive an advantage by lessening the chance of striking the ball with a non-square face upon an intended line.

Good post Aries, it's for this exact reason they should be banned. Anchoring the putter is like a third hand on the club and isn't making a stroke on the ball IMO.

Because of the pendulum effect created by anchoring the club to one's body, I feel one does receive an advantage by lessening the chance of striking the ball with a non-square face upon an intended line.

Good post Aries, it's for this exact reason they should be banned. Anchoring the putter is like a third hand on the club and isn't making a stroke on the ball IMO.

I just don't see the use as a "advantage". They are legal, so everyone is free to use them. I just don't see the evidence that the guys using them are making more putts per round than those that choose to stay with a conventional length putter. It is simply just another putting style. To win you must hit great tee shots, great iron shots and have a great wedge/short game. Putting is just part of the equation.

Back