Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

Does anyone know how much upgraded shafts cost through Ping? I've found a list of the shafts they offer but no prices.

this is a great feature about this driver.....if feels powerful in your hands

I was really happy with this driver. I thought that the head was super forgiving and packed a ton of punch. I am curious if a different shaft would give me better results though. Either that or I could learn how to swing a golf club properly.

I bought the G20 after 18 holes demoing it. Stuck with the stock tour stiff shaft on an 8.5 head. Absolutely amazing forgiveness, feel, and distance! So glad I purchased this stick! Bye-bye Adams 9064LS DFS!

But which shaft were you hitting? There are two different versions, a Tour and a non Tour shaft.

I was using the non-Tour shaft. So does the Tour shaft give a lower launch, because that's what I definitely need? I love the way the ball comes off the face. It feels really great and is very forgiving. The ball just balloons on me with the stock shaft though.

I have the non-tour shaft and would say I have a higher launch (but that could just be my swing)...

I was using the non-Tour shaft. So does the Tour shaft give a lower launch, because that's what I definitely need? I love the way the ball comes off the face. It feels really great and is very forgiving. The ball just balloons on me with the stock shaft though.
The tour shaft has a lower kickpoint which I am led to believe results in a lower flight. My G20 has a tour shaft which I got because I was launching the standard shaft too high. Now I have improved my swing that the tour shaft with 8.5 loft launches too low, although if you play off 5 you should be pretty up to speed with what suits you.

The tour shaft has a lower kickpoint which I am led to believe results in a lower flight.

Actually a LOWER kickpoint will promote a HIGHER launch. You might think of it like this: The low kickpoint is down low on the shaft, closer to the head of the club. This cause the shaft to KICK in at the last moment in the downswing launcher the ball higher.

A HIGHER kickpoint will promate a LOWER lauch. With the kickpoint closer to the grip end the shaft acts more like a solid piece and is more stable in the hitting area = more control, lower flight

My G20 has a tour shaft which I got because I was launching the standard shaft too high.

If I understand you correctly with this statement, you are saying what I just pointed out above - lower kickpoint on the stock shaft lauched the ball HIGHER, so you got a TOUR shaft which has a high kickpoint = lower launch.

Now I have improved my swing that the tour shaft with 8.5 loft launches too low, although if you play off 5 you should be pretty up to speed with what suits you.

I still like that swing of yours, it is GREAT !!! Please post up some more videos !! Thanks !

omikey am I right in thinking that the Tour shaft has a stiffer tip when compared to the non tour offering? This would lead to lower ball flight?

I still like that swing of yours, it is GREAT !!! Please post up some more videos !! Thanks !

omikey am I right in thinking that the Tour shaft has a stiffer tip when compared to the non tour offering? This would lead to lower ball flight?

That's what 'I THINK' .... I'll go do some research to verify it ....

Perhaps someone with the 'real knowledge' will see this and help us out.

Current Driver: G20 10.5* standard stiff shaft
Previous Driver: TM SF 2.0 9* Regular

I haven't been posting much in this thread and I really should be. This is an amazing game improvement driver. I went from a SF 2.0 to this club. At first I was concerned about losing the lighter and longer club and how that would effect my driver speed. I have to say that this has made no difference and I actually feel that I'm swinging this club much better and the monitor numbers at time of purchase show no loss in swing speed. The distance on the course speaks to that as well as I'm driving it further than ever before. I am in the midst of lessons and have had dramatic improvements with overall swing and release and this driver performs so well. It has a huge sweet spot and this makes for great distance. The rounds I have been "on" I was averaging just over 250 and bombed one 275, huge for me. Now I have lost the swing during the course of my lessons. Dramatic changes in all ball striking occur but I still manage to get off some good drives at times. Just like any other club it's not going to turn your swing into something that its not. But it can mask a few flaws and help you stay in play.

Good stuff. Glad to see it's working well for you when your swing is on point. I need a new driver and this certainly seems like a realistic possibility - I love the look and obviously it's bringing some results for people. My game is weakest off of the tee so it'd be huge if I felt comfortable with my driver.

That's what 'I THINK' .... I'll go do some research to verify it ....

Perhaps someone with the 'real knowledge' will see this and help us out.

Frank .... here's what I found, and supports what we're thinking/saying:

The TFC 169D Tour shaft features a slightly stiffer tip and less torque with 6-9 grams more heaviness than the non Tour offering. Launches the ball lower with less spin and offers a tighter feel for extra stability and control.

I went and hit clubs today with a fitter (call it a pre-fitting)...about 5 balls each with Nike, Cobra, R11, RBZ, Adams Speedline and the G20. The G20 felt awesome and was STRAIGHT. I have a Titleist 909D in my bad and struggle mightily with it, have a very pronounced fade (I play a draw with all other clubs). Trackman had the G20 grouping about 5 yards right of my target and all balls were dispersed within about 5 yards of each other. Zero evidence of fade. To borrow Greg Norman's line, they were driven up a gnats ass. I should be happy, right? Well the Speedline was good enough to prevent me from making a purchase ... about 15 yards longer, maybe 15 yards right of target on average and the dispersion patter was about 12 yards. My SS is about 104. G20 distance was about 245, Adams was about 260. It was cold and rainy with range balls. So do we give up a little distance for super straight and tight dispersion or do we acknowledge that all Adams shots were in the fairway and go with the added distance? Both felt great.

I went and hit clubs today with a fitter (call it a pre-fitting)...about 5 balls each with Nike, Cobra, R11, RBZ, Adams Speedline and the G20. The G20 felt awesome and was STRAIGHT. I have a Titleist 909D in my bad and struggle mightily with it, have a very pronounced fade (I play a draw with all other clubs). Trackman had the G20 grouping about 5 yards right of my target and all balls were dispersed within about 5 yards of each other. Zero evidence of fade. To borrow Greg Norman's line, they were driven up a gnats ass. I should be happy, right? Well the Speedline was good enough to prevent me from making a purchase ... about 15 yards longer, maybe 15 yards right of target on average and the dispersion patter was about 12 yards. My SS is about 104. G20 distance was about 245, Adams was about 260. It was cold and rainy with range balls. So do we give up a little distance for super straight and tight dispersion or do we acknowledge that all Adams shots were in the fairway and go with the added distance? Both felt great.

Which shafts did you hit in the G20 and the Adams? Depending on which head you like better by looks/feel, you can special order a shaft to either improve the distance a little with the G20 or the accuracy with the Adams.

Which shafts did you hit in the G20 and the Adams? Depending on which head you like better by looks/feel, you can special order a shaft to either improve the distance a little with the G20 or the accuracy with the Adams.
I'm not sure. He was doing me a favor letting me hit so I was trying not to take advantage and be there too long. I think the G20 was the stock stiff shaft. I remember the Adams was 55g and stiff. I guess I need to go back and do a proper fitting - I'll take my time and pay closer attention if I'm paying for the service.

I'm not sure. He was doing me a favor letting me hit so I was trying not to take advantage and be there too long. I think the G20 was the stock stiff shaft. I remember the Adams was 55g and stiff. I guess I need to go back and do a proper fitting - I'll take my time and pay closer attention if I'm paying for the service.

Ok - the shafts definitely could contribute to the 15 yard distance difference and accuracy difference. And for Ping, there are 2 stock shafts, 1 being a "Tour" version which has a higher kickpoint and lower spin. So maybe you were hitting that one - it would be a very big difference from the stock Adams 55g shaft. Good luck on your next fitting - looking forward to reading the results.

I traded in some stuff for this driver in a 12 degree yesterday. I was hitting it really well on the launch monitor so I took it to the course for nine holes on the way home. I am MUCH more accurate with this driver than I ever imagined! I love the looks, sound, feel, and seeing more fairways is kind of odd for me. Now I have to learn how to hit balls out of the fairways :bulgy-eyes:. I'm pretty good out of the woods (give lessons from there if ya need em) but this fairway thing is going to be kind of weird :D. This driver and an E6 golf ball could be unfair :bananadance:

Back