Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Nice looking clubs IMO. Looking forward to learning more about them.

Took these out yesterday with the driver and got a few swings in. Nice and high ball flight and I liked the shaft quite a bit with a smooth tempo swing. They definitely have a softer and more muted sound than the G15s which translates nicely to a softer feel. Was able to hit shots right, left and high, but did struggle if I wanted to hit a lower knock down shot (not that most need that). Distance was good and one thing I noticed that I really liked was that balls caught a groove thin or a groove thick had almost no distance loss whatsoever.

More testing coming up soon.

JB, Can you give us an indication on distance of these vs. the G15's or do you need to get more time in with them? I have never hit the G15's but I have heard others say that they may be shorter than other GI/SGI irons.

Took these out yesterday with the driver and got a few swings in. Nice and high ball flight and I liked the shaft quite a bit with a smooth tempo swing. They definitely have a softer and more muted sound than the G15s which translates nicely to a softer feel. Was able to hit shots right, left and high, but did struggle if I wanted to hit a lower knock down shot (not that most need that). Distance was good and one thing I noticed that I really liked was that balls caught a groove thin or a groove thick had almost no distance loss whatsoever.

That is awesome. I remember the G15's were seriously forgiving. Not quite Di11 forgiving though. I really can't wait to take these out for a spin:rockon:

Played these irons today and came away pretty impressed. While they are quite different from I normally play, if your goal is high and straight, it is really hard to find a knock in these. I want to add that if someone liked the feel of the R9 irons from TaylorMade, they will like the feel of these. They have that nice muted and soft feel at impact and a great plush sound. Different from other sounds of previous versions of Ping clubs in my opinion.

Interesting you say that JB because I didn't like the R9's but liked the G15's. Supposedly the 20's feel better than the 15's. Man I can't wait to hit these. Really want to try the new shaft also:ping:

Interesting you say that JB because I didn't like the R9's but liked the G15's. Supposedly the 20's feel better than the 15's. Man I can't wait to hit these. Really want to try the new shaft also:ping:

Was it the sound/feel that you disliked about the R9s?

Was it the sound/feel that you disliked about the R9s?

I know I am in a very short group that didn't like the R9's but they felt clunky to me. I would have just said it was a bad day but I hit them a lot. I loved the looks of them and wanted to like them. Just didn't. Felt like I was constantly mishitting it just slightly off the sweet spot if you know what I mean.

I know I am in a very short group that didn't like the R9's but they felt clunky to me. I would have just said it was a bad day but I hit them a lot. I loved the looks of them and wanted to like them. Just didn't. Felt like I was constantly mishitting it just slightly off the sweet spot if you know what I mean.

Was it the muted feel perhaps? If so, I very much look forward to your feedback on these.

Was it the muted feel perhaps? If so, I very much look forward to your feedback on these.

It might have been. I will see if the range has an R9 that I can hit tomorrow to get that feeling back again. I don't normally mind muted though. Clunky is the only word that comes to mind for me right now though. The R9's had the KBS 90's stock also right?

It might have been. I will see if the range has an R9 that I can hit tomorrow to get that feeling back again. I don't normally mind muted though. Clunky is the only word that comes to mind for me right now though. The R9's had the KBS 90's stock also right?

That is correct. I have to admit when I hear clunky describe R9s and not G15s, I do chuckle slightly, but that is what makes this game great. Its different for different people.

That is correct. I have to admit when I hear clunky describe R9s and not G15s, I do chuckle slightly, but that is what makes this game great. Its different for different people.

LOL I didn't even see that. I'm not talking about the look though as I LOVED the look of the R9's. Thought they were real sleek looking. But when it came down to the feel of the club the R9's were the clunky ones and the G15's were smooth. I hit the 15's nicely. I still have dreams of the 4I in that set. It was automatic.:ping:

LOL I didn't even see that. I'm not talking about the look though as I LOVED the look of the R9's. Thought they were real sleek looking. But when it came down to the feel of the club the R9's were the clunky ones and the G15's were smooth. I hit the 15's nicely. I still have dreams of the 4I in that set. It was automatic.:ping:

Just giving you a hard time. I know what you mean. It seems that us golfers only have certain descriptives.
Clunky
Buttery
Chunky
Clanky
Smooth
Harsh
Buttery
Clicky
Buttery
Tinny
Buttery
And from Johnny Miller...Juicy
And of course Buttery.

Mmmmmm butter. You missed Razry as apparently a lot of irons have some Razr in them:glasses-nerdy:

JB,
How would you rate the distance of these compared to the G15's? Are they noticeably longer?

JB,
How would you rate the distance of these compared to the G15's? Are they noticeably longer?

I have not noticed any distance gain at all. They seem to be the same to me.

I have not noticed any distance gain at all. They seem to be the same to me.

Thanks JB. Looking forward to hitting these.

you forgot silky lol
Just giving you a hard time. I know what you mean. It seems that us golfers only have certain descriptives.
Clunky
Buttery
Chunky
Clanky
Smooth
Harsh
Buttery
Clicky
Buttery
Tinny
Buttery
And from Johnny Miller...Juicy
And of course Buttery.

I've always been interested in G15s, and now the G20s, since I think that they look so much better but the sole width concerns me in a couple of situations: hard/thin lies and chipping (pw/9i). These are situations that I routinely face from July - Sep. I can get hard, packed lies even in some fairways that were drowned and baked. Can anyone speak to the performance of these irons in those situations? I can only imagine that they're great from normal lovely fairways and rough but I really am concerned about thinning and sculling the troublesome lies.

This is one of the reasons why the G15's didn't end up in my bag...loved their forgiveness, accuracy, and distance (although not longer than the CG16's) but I was concerned about the turf interaction

I've always been interested in G15s, and now the G20s, since I think that they look so much better but the sole width concerns me in a couple of situations: hard/thin lies and chipping (pw/9i). These are situations that I routinely face from July - Sep. I can get hard, packed lies even in some fairways that were drowned and baked. Can anyone speak to the performance of these irons in those situations? I can only imagine that they're great from normal lovely fairways and rough but I really am concerned about thinning and sculling the troublesome lies.

THP should have sent a set to me! I am looking at the G20's and will probably get fitted on Monday!

THP should have sent a set to me! I am looking at the G20's and will probably get fitted on Monday!

I agree. THP should send a set of irons to everybody looking for them

Sweet you know my order. Just extra non clunky.

I still really like the looks of these irons.

You mention almost no loss of distance on slight miss hits, but can you tell me if the ball flight remained the same, especially when you were a little thin?

you forgot silky lol

And of course workable...hehehe

Thanks for your support! So when are they being shipped?

Back