PING G430 Fairway Woods and Hybrids Preview

The rdx is actually a little lighter than the Alta in the hybrid. But don’t think it’s counterbalanced. So the red might feel heavier when swinging it.
I bought the 5h blind as I originally purchased a Titleist TSR2 24* turned up 2 but the delivery time was so far out after I ordered it I switched to the Ping blindly. It definitely goes high which I love as it stops really well. I have a few par 3s at my course that call for that club off of the tee so it’s perfect for my CC which is mostly where I play

The rdx is actually a little lighter than the Alta in the hybrid. But don’t think it’s counterbalanced. So the red might feel heavier when swinging it.
I will either see about the RDX red or Alta Sr as the Alta reg. does play a little stiffer, heavier, and off the deck the trajectory is a little lower than I would like. There is only a 3-gram difference between the 2 of them with the RDX being the lighter one.

Gonna have some fun the rest of the season I feel like with this club.
IMG_8829.jpegIMG_8828.jpeg

I used my G430 5w 4x today. Really good strikes so off to a good start. I didn’t hit it on the range so hopefully I can get some time there this week to figure it out a bit better

I used my G430 5w 4x today. Really good strikes so off to a good start. I didn’t hit it on the range so hopefully I can get some time there this week to figure it out a bit better
I wonder if the 5W would be a better option than the 4H that I’m not getting along with. Hmmm?

I wonder if the 5W would be a better option than the 4H that I’m not getting along with. Hmmm?
Check out the 7w then as that’s more of a comparable distance wise. My 5w has more pop than my 4h for sure

Check out the 7w then as that’s more of a comparable distance wise. My 5w has more pop than my 4h for sure
My guy at the golf shop was telling me 7W also but ultimately I exchanged the 4H for the 5W. I like the bigger head, adjusted the loft to 19*, and can choke up a little if need be.
The 7W is 21* and my 5 iron is 22* and +.5" in length.

I really don't think I could've gone wrong either way but I have one more exchange left in case I want to go to the 7w.
IMG_1316.jpeg

My first 2 shots with the 5w, so glad I got the idea here to swap out the 4H for it, so much easier to launch straight.IMG_1322.png
IMG_1321.png

Just can't say enough good things about the 430 FW clubs.

So many great shots into the green today with the 3W and 5W.

Normally, I would be in those bunkers. lol.
IMG_1339.png

possibly bit of an off question…if so, please point me to the right forum.

I’m looking for some G430 hybrid advise here. Unfortunately I do not have much options and patience for a full fitting and willing to take an educated gamble…

Currently play a G25 23* std TFC189 (??) stock shaft hybrid and hit this about 185yrds
To match the recent upgrade/ update of my set, I’m looking for the G430.

I was fitted for the G425 driver 2 years back at 10.5* with a Tensei Raw Orange 65 Stiff shaft. I have a 95mph-ish SS.

I didn’t like the CB shafts in the driver at all..

Last year I was fitted for i525 irons (5-GW) with AWT 2.0 stiff shafts.

I am pretty pleased with the above set-up and am now looking for a hybrid, preferably Ping, with the right shaft.

Based on my current game, I assume (yeah, I know) a 22* loft would work and with the newer tech on the club would give me a few extra yards…I only need 10 or so more and mid to high flight to have the ball stop on the green.

Pings webfit suggests the #4- 22* with the Project X HZRDUS Red RDX 70 5.5 shaft, which seems a little light. I tend to go for the HZRDUS Red RDX 80 6.0

Any suggestions or ideas (besides getting fitted)??

thanks!

Ouch! I hit a little high on the face. It's such a low profile club there really isn't much room for error but I didn't expect the face to look that. I understand the crown part but the face markings was a disappointment.

Ping said it's normal wear and tear meanwhile the club is 2 weeks old.

I'm not so sure they're using the same high quality durable material they once did or just the lighter weight material has it's drawbacks in the durability department.

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpeg
    IMG_1360.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 31
Ouch! I hit a little high on the face. It's such a low profile club there really isn't much room for error but I didn't expect the face to look that. I understand the crown part but the face markings was a disappointment.

I'm not so sure they're using the same high quality durable material they once did or just the lighter weight material has it's drawbacks in the durability department.
It's the face wrap technology IMO - 400/410 werent prone to showing these marks

My 3 and 5 woods after a few weeks of ownership look like they’ve been used as tiles on a spacecraft after re-entering the atmosphere. I laugh looking at them now lol

My TSi3 head has a single scuff mark after two years of use

My g430 7w after a few weeks of use. Nothing really going on there.

Also my g425 5w after 2 yrs. I kinda like the wear. At least shows me where I’m catching it

IMG_9027.jpegIMG_9028.jpeg

My 3 and 5 woods after a few weeks of ownership look like they’ve been used as tiles on a spacecraft after re-entering the atmosphere. I laugh looking at them now lol

My TSi3 head has a single scuff mark after two years of use
The face of this PING product is a ‘PVD’ finish, which is an industry standard with all golf clubs boasting a dark or black finish. ‘PVD’ or Physical Vapor Deposition is a process in which golf clubs are placed in a vacuum chamber where they are exposed to a high temperature and a vaporized form of various materials that are bonded to the club head through condensation. The result is a very thin layer of metal material that is "extremely durable" and tends to have "great cosmetic appeal" depending on the types of metals that are deposited to the substrate surface. On metal woods the appearance is a polished look found on the sole as well as the dark finish on the face. With that being said, it does and is expected to wear over time and with consistent use.

I will never be a fan of this gimmicky PVD finish that adds nothing to performance but makes your clubs look like garbage in a short period of time. What was wrong with just the old plain silver finish?

Anyway, the place I got it from let me switch it out for a Stealth 2 16.5* 3 wood at no charge.
IMG_1364.jpeg

The face of this PING product is a ‘PVD’ finish, which is an industry standard with all golf clubs boasting a dark or black finish. ‘PVD’ or Physical Vapor Deposition is a process in which golf clubs are placed in a vacuum chamber where they are exposed to a high temperature and a vaporized form of various materials that are bonded to the club head through condensation. The result is a very thin layer of metal material that is "extremely durable" and tends to have "great cosmetic appeal" depending on the types of metals that are deposited to the substrate surface. On metal woods the appearance is a polished look found on the sole as well as the dark finish on the face. With that being said, it does and is expected to wear over time and with consistent use.

I will never be a fan of this gimmicky PVD finish that adds nothing to performance but makes your clubs look like garbage in a short period of time. What was wrong with just the old plain silver finish?

Anyway, the place I got it from let me switch it out for a Stealth 2 16.5* 3 wood at no charge.
View attachment 9206840

I don't let it bother me.

I don't let it bother me.
I really wish it didn't bother me because it's a great club.

Other than the initial cosmetic appeal I fail to see the purpose of it.

Ping is not the only one who uses this PVD process either in their clubs so I would love to know the real reason they use it.

I really wish it didn't bother me because it's a great club.

Other than the initial cosmetic appeal I fail to see the purpose of it.

Ping is not the only one who uses this PVD process either in their clubs so I would love to know the real reason they use it.

Black just looks cool….

Some might claim it will reduce sun reflections on the clubface…but that’s just marketing bs I think.

Fairways & Greens

Black just looks cool….

Some might claim it will reduce sun reflections on the clubface…but that’s just marketing bs I think.

Fairways & Greens
It doesn't look cool after a short while when the black wears off then you have a two-tone face. That is unless you evenly hit all over the face of the club. lol.

My conspiracy hat says the industry does this on purpose to make the clubs look older than they really are so you will buy sooner.

It doesn't look cool after a short while when the black wears off then you have a two-tone face.

I’d sign up for this two-tone any day of the year…
0900da9930be4987849992a34750ddf5.jpg

Fairways & Greens

I’d sign up for this two-tone any day of the year…
0900da9930be4987849992a34750ddf5.jpg

Fairways & Greens
It's one thing hitting a wedge dead center but hitting a fairway wood dead center is another story.

My FW would never look like that. 😂

Look what Daddy came home with after 3 dismal rounds with the Stealth 3 wood. I will just have to live with the scratches as there is no denying it's superior performance.
IMG_1374.jpeg

I’ve been struggling with a hook in my G430 3-wood, paired with Tour 2.0 chrome 75S. Went to the range yesterday and grabbed an old HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g shaft that was sitting in my garage. I immediately started hitting long, towering straight balls. Wish I had tried the swap months ago! The Chrome shaft is good but my tempo must be a bit quick for it. May look to grab a Smoke Black shaft for my 5-wood as well!

Back