Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Wow. That's really a good deal.

Nice! I thought it was $18 per club and I was uber-bummed! When I am swinging my best I have a hard time not hooking these. Was flag hunting on a par-3 last Friday to the right side of the green position and it was looking great with a line headed right at it...and then hooked and managed to completely miss the green to the left. *rage*

Just to follow up, got the i20's back today. They look nice, PING cleaned them up some too and painted the dot the new yellow color. Turn around was very fast - I shipped them ground which was four days each way. Turn around was two weeks including shipping, the Thanksgiving holidays and the weekends. So they basically got them and had them out the door the next day it appears.

$18 bucks for all 8 clubs, plus shipping.

Haven't hit them yet to see what difference the adjustment will have, hope to do so at the range possibly tomorrow night.

I had mine re-fitted by PING with a change to yellow dot as well and fell in love with the sticks all over again.

Just to follow up, got the i20's back today. They look nice, PING cleaned them up some too and painted the dot the new yellow color. Turn around was very fast - I shipped them ground which was four days each way. Turn around was two weeks including shipping, the Thanksgiving holidays and the weekends. So they basically got them and had them out the door the next day it appears.

$18 bucks for all 8 clubs, plus shipping.

Haven't hit them yet to see what difference the adjustment will have, hope to do so at the range possibly tomorrow night.

That's pretty amazing, man. Good to see you're gonna have them for Myrtle.

Congrats to KellyBo -- I think you'll zero in the distances pretty quickly. It is hard not to gush over these irons, since they meet just about every need (want really!) that I have. Pretty, consistent ball flight (forgiving too), and have a fantastic feel on good shots. I know exactly how I've hit one of these.

Except for the PW... I hit every club well in this set UW, 9-5Iron except that one club. Probably mental, but it almost seems as if the lie is different from the others. Does anyone know of a simple way (without buying a new widget or driving 80 miles) to check lie angles. Just hoping...

Thank You.

Steve

Hit the freshly re-tuned i20's on the range tonite. Turf interaction was great, smooth even divot shape and not digging on toe or heel. Very happy with the look at address, they seem "right". So forgiving. I've been playing these little blade irons the past month or so, which is fun and I love the feeling, but wow the forgiveness on off center hits was super. So far glad I had them brought down from white to yellow dot. I've worked hard this year to improve my swing form and think I do not need so upright now. Hoping to game these irons all through 2013.

I have had I20's for about a month now and am still loving these clubs. I shot my best back 9 holes ever in my two years of golf, I shot a 36 (par is 32 on the back at Lynnwood Muni). The front was not so nice to me with a 48 but I always have to warm up a little before I play better. This muni course doesn't have a range so I didn't get a warm up but that is no excuse just very happy with these irons. I also pulled the trigger on G20 Driver and love that too. I wish I was good enough to provide any real decent feedback on these but I am very pleased with how forgiving they are and also feel like I can grow a lot with these irons. Can't wait to get back out there on Friday...rain or shine I have been hitting the links very hard with 2-3 times a week this past few months.

Still loving the i20's, but am considering replacing the PW with something thinner soled. Maybe a s56 or a Vokey or something. I like to open my club up to control distance on approach shots and I just don't feel 100% confident that I can do it with the i20 sole. Probably a mental thing.

Anyone in the senior age bracket playing these in stiff flex? Just curious about the ball flight, spin, etc.

Edit: What type of ball flight do the stock stiff shafts provide for you young bucks? My average swing speed with a 7i is 81 mph.

Last edited:
Can't believe I forgot to update this thread after the weekend! First off OG, I'm seeing a lower ball flight with the CFS stiff. I came from Cleveland traction 85 regulars though so that's to be expected. It's no issue though because I'm seeing some great spin with these.

Hit these irons pretty well at the invitational weekend. I think that the warmer weather and me finally getting into a groove is the reason why I was seeing more distance. Especially on Sunday. Striped a bunch of shots long. It's looking like I'll be at about the same distances as my previous irons. Shot shape right now is just a tiny bit of a fade, but it's coming around. I'm extremely pleased with this purchase!

Can't believe I forgot to update this thread after the weekend! First off OG, I'm seeing a lower ball flight with the CFS stiff. I came from Cleveland traction 85 regulars though so that's to be expected. It's no issue though because I'm seeing some great spin with these.

Hit these irons pretty well at the invitational weekend. I think that the warmer weather and me finally getting into a groove is the reason why I was seeing more distance. Especially on Sunday. Striped a bunch of shots long. It's looking like I'll be at about the same distances as my previous irons. Shot shape right now is just a tiny bit of a fade, but it's coming around. I'm extremely pleased with this purchase!

Yea I was thinking that per average a stiffer shaft will lower the ball flight. How about shot dispersion? Did you notice any less sidespin?

Yea I was thinking that per average a stiffer shaft will lower the ball flight. How about shot dispersion? Did you notice any less sidespin?

Good swing is still a good swing, but I feel like the dispersion is a little tighter for me. I'm also hopeful that the random bomb won't be in the equation as much.

Anyone in the senior age bracket playing these in stiff flex? Just curious about the ball flight, spin, etc.

Edit: What type of ball flight do the stock stiff shafts provide for you young bucks? My average swing speed with a 7i is 81 mph.

OG we have about the same swing speed and I went with hardstepped regulars. I much preferred the feel of these over the stiffs and they are lighter as well. Ball flight is a little lower than my x20, I really like it. I think you would get a slightly lower flight from these compared to RBZ's.

Mike

What type of ball flight do the stock stiff shafts provide for you young bucks? My average swing speed with a 7i is 81 mph.

I have the stock CFS stiff shafts. I don't find them to be particularly stiff. I demoed the shaft in R or S and went with S just in case I didn't want the R to get out of hand, but as much as anything to be honest they felt about the same to me and I thought the S flex might be better resale value. The PING fitter guy said I could hit either but recommended the S.

As far as ball flight I am kind of a medium to high ball hitter and they go med-high as well for me but do not balloon.

p.s. My 6i swing speed is 85 so we are pretty similar swing speed.

I have been interested in updating the clubs that have graced the bag for nearly 12 years as my handicap is now down to 16 and I don't think these clubs I have will get me much further. I have never been a fan of the new "Game Improvement" type clubs with the larger, somewhat ugly heads ( to me anyway) and have been interested in more of a players iron. My local pro shop let me borrow a green dot i20 7 iron for a week or two to game on my home course and I am truly amazed at how well I hit this club. I hit it a full club length further, way more accurately with a nice baby draw that is pleasing to the eye. I am now hitting more GIR with this club which sets up a lot more par and birdie opportunities.I am so sold on this one club that I have organised a full Ping club fit in early January.

I have started reading this novel of a thread ( I'm up to page 60) and all I can say is thanks to all you guys for such a hugely informative thread that has helped my decision, although to be honest, even if I hadn't read one word, this iron I have here has sold itself.

Cheers, Dave.

OG we have about the same swing speed and I went with hard stepped regulars. I much preferred the feel of these over the stiffs and they are lighter as well. Ball flight is a little lower than my x20, I really like it. I think you would get a slightly lower flight from these compared to RBZ's.

Mike

Is this the Ping steel shaft regular that you are referring to?

I have the stock CFS stiff shafts. I don't find them to be particularly stiff. I demoed the shaft in R or S and went with S just in case I didn't want the R to get out of hand, but as much as anything to be honest they felt about the same to me and I thought the S flex might be better resale value. The PING fitter guy said I could hit either but recommended the S.

As far as ball flight I am kind of a medium to high ball hitter and they go med-high as well for me but do not balloon.

p.s. My 6i swing speed is 85 so we are pretty similar swing speed.

Yea I think that I could game the factory (Ping) stiff,providing they are as stout as say a Project X 5.5 etc.

Is this the Ping steel shaft regular that you are referring to?

Yes this is Ping's CFS shaft. My fitter said I could go with stiff, but after trying both the regular felt much better to me. So I hardstepped them just to make sure I wouldn't over power them and it's worked out really well. If you're looking to get your right to left shot shape back going a little softer in the shaft could help.

It took me a week to read this whole thread. Santa in the brown suit (the ups guy) just dropped off my new i20s thanks THP.

It took me a week to read this whole thread. Santa in the brown suit (the ups guy) just dropped off my new i20s thanks THP.

YEAH!!! Welcome to the Army, bro. Enjoy the sticks. They'll be good to you.

I posted in another thread - went to regrip my 7 iron an they had a set if 3-LW in MINT condition. Yes that's 11 clubs - they ended up costing me half the price of a new set.

They are black dot with stock CFS stiff shafts in 3-W and the regular in U, SW & LW. The shop has already told me they'll do a good deal to swap them out for stiff shafts.

Have them loaded in the car for our road trip - cant wait to get them on the course!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it coming fellas. Yet another testament to these irons. The fact that they are no longer the "new hotness" out on the market yet they continue to sell like hot cakes.

The local Roger Dunn still can't keep these in stock.

Got in a nice soggy round in today. It was drizzling and foggy so the ball wasn't going as far but these irons delivered. Really starting to get into a good groove with these. These are really great irons. I can't recommend them enough to anyone who's in the market.

I still love my i20's, not a chance in hell they will leave my bag during the 2013 season.

Posted via TapaTalk.

I am more and more confident with these irons. Have to admit that there was a bit of an adjustment coming from SGI irons to these but now I'm hitting them so well. I still have some misses and they can be pretty ugly but that's becoming a lot less often. Can't wait until I figure out my distances a little better. Originally thought I might have made a mistake getting these but now I am so glad I did.

I am more and more confident with these irons. Have to admit that there was a bit of an adjustment coming from SGI irons to these but now I'm hitting them so well. I still have some misses and they can be pretty ugly but that's becoming a lot less often. Can't wait until I figure out my distances a little better. Originally thought I might have made a mistake getting these but now I am so glad I did.

You whooping up on OG?

Posted via TapaTalk.

Back