Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Got fit for my i20s today...should be here in a week or two, thanks for all the great reviews.

I am really interested in these clubs as a golfer returning to the game after a 12 year lay off and am wondering what is the highest handicap that these clubs are aimed at. I used to play off 12 but having just picked the sticks again last month, I find myself playing off double that.

I have always had a soft spot for pings since my first real set of clubs which was my dad's old Ping Karsten 2's (wish I still had them.........). I almost like the G series, mainly because it does not have a hosel, like my old Pings, but the soles are way too big for me. The i20, as many have said does look good, but after being away from the game for so long I am a bit lost with all the advances in technology.

From a playability an forgiveness perspective how would the i20's stack up to my 15 year old Lynx Black Cats. I have hit the Pings, but only down the driving range and whilst all was good, I think that we all know the the game gets a lot tougher when there is real grass under the ball and you can't just reload, forget the last shot and take another swing.

Any and all advice welcome

Thanks all

Tim

Ps great thread, took ages to read but all good info

Sent from my iPad

I'm still very interested in these irons. KellyBo is hitting hers great these days and the darn things look so pretty :D

OG, pull the trigger man!

I am really interested in these clubs as a golfer returning to the game after a 12 year lay off and am wondering what is the highest handicap that these clubs are aimed at. I used to play off 12 but having just picked the sticks again last month, I find myself playing off double that.

I have always had a soft spot for pings since my first real set of clubs which was my dad's old Ping Karsten 2's (wish I still had them.........). I almost like the G series, mainly because it does not have a hosel, like my old Pings, but the soles are way too big for me. The i20, as many have said does look good, but after being away from the game for so long I am a bit lost with all the advances in technology.

From a playability an forgiveness perspective how would the i20's stack up to my 15 year old Lynx Black Cats. I have hit the Pings, but only down the driving range and whilst all was good, I think that we all know the the game gets a lot tougher when there is real grass under the ball and you can't just reload, forget the last shot and take another swing.

Thanks all

Tim

Sent from my iPad

These irons have plenty of forgiveness packed into them (imo), but I wouldn't exactly call them GI irons. Your best bet is going to be to try them out for yourself a few additional times and see if you can repeatedly handle them.

I am sorry, I can't compare to your previous irons as those were out right around when I first stepped foot on a golf course. I would imagine, assuming you hit them well, you would see a dramatic improvement over your current sticks. Good luck.

Am loving my i20s. One thing I've noticed though is that the stock stiff CFS shafts seem to launch so high.

I wonder if I'm losing distance as they go up rather than forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am loving my i20s. One thing I've noticed though is that the stock stiff CFS shafts seem to launch so high.

I wonder if I'm losing distance as they go up rather than forward?

That will depend on the combination of loft and spin, do you have access to a launch monitor anywhere?

That will depend on the combination of loft and spin, do you have access to a launch monitor anywhere?

Yeah - probably going up there today so will have a bit of a test.

Was hitting 7 irons which just seemed to go up into the stratosphere!

Yeah - probably going up there today so will have a bit of a test.

Was hitting 7 irons which just seemed to go up into the stratosphere!

High can be a good thing, it just all depends on the launch and spin which will ultimately control the carry distance. Good deal that you have access to a LM, they are life savers when the questions start to pop in our minds.

High can be a good thing, it just all depends on the launch and spin which will ultimately control the carry distance. Good deal that you have access to a LM, they are life savers when the questions start to pop in our minds.

This is true of course!

Picked up a set of i20 irons over the winter after coming accross this thread. I had been playing TM r7 irons for about 5-6 yrs. Prior to that I had Ping i3 irons. Found a set of barely used green dots, +3/4 inch, with stiff Cushin shafts, 1/4 club strong 4-U with oversize grips on Ebay--exactly what I was looking for. Added a 3, SW and LW. Have been able to play about 4 rounds with them. Did a 2 day golf school down in Orlando to escape the bitter cold PA winter and get a quick golf fix. My instructor tried them out and loved them. I really do like the clubs. Really feel solid. Distance is slightly longer than my old r7s (the +1/4 club strong lofts are probably about the same as the standard loft in the r7s). Swing weight is D4 with added length and the Cushin so the club is not too light. They seem plenty forgiving, especially on toe hits. The long irons--3 and 4 are really easy to hit. The lob wedge is my usual chipping club and it's turf interaction seems great. Not sure how well I'll be able to hit flop shots with the amount of bounce the club has--I seldom attempt them anyway but for routine chips it feels really nice. Just noted that Rocco Mediate is playing them in this week's Senior Tour event--not being sponsored by Ping so it is by his choice.

Picked up a set of i20 irons over the winter after coming accross this thread. I had been playing TM r7 irons for about 5-6 yrs. Prior to that I had Ping i3 irons. Found a set of barely used green dots, +3/4 inch, with stiff Cushin shafts, 1/4 club strong 4-U with oversize grips on Ebay--exactly what I was looking for. Added a 3, SW and LW. Have been able to play about 4 rounds with them. Did a 2 day golf school down in Orlando to escape the bitter cold PA winter and get a quick golf fix. My instructor tried them out and loved them. I really do like the clubs. Really feel solid. Distance is slightly longer than my old r7s (the +1/4 club strong lofts are probably about the same as the standard loft in the r7s). Swing weight is D4 with added length and the Cushin so the club is not too light. They seem plenty forgiving, especially on toe hits. The long irons--3 and 4 are really easy to hit. The lob wedge is my usual chipping club and it's turf interaction seems great. Not sure how well I'll be able to hit flop shots with the amount of bounce the club has--I seldom attempt them anyway but for routine chips it feels really nice. Just noted that Rocco Mediate is playing them in this week's Senior Tour event--not being sponsored by Ping so it is by his choice.

congrats on your purchase and welcome to THP! you should go over to the check in desk and say what's up. Glad you could find your specs on eBay in good shape. I went from blades to the i20s and the forgiveness you get with them is amazing. I think a lot of guys are finding the long irons easy to hit. I get excited whenever I have a chance to hit my 5, 4, or 3 because I feel confident with them.

Enjoy your new set!!

Still love my I20s best thing I have ever ever brought EVER!!!! Love the feel when you flush one and the forgivness when you slightly mishit them.

Thanks. The clubs were in great shape. After 3-4 rounds can't differentiate the Ebay set from the additional new clubs I bought to fill out the set. Was a bit reluctant to buy off Ebay, but seller had picture of serial # and suggested I contact Ping--they confirmed the authenticity and specs--in fact, the seller had not mentioned that the clubs were 1/4 degree strong so that was a nice surprise--as I approach 60 I can use all the length I can get. I had thought about trying the G20's but couldn't get past the very chunky looks. The i20's seem to be more than forgiving enough. I thought I could use new clubs to try help turn my game around--been playing about 15 yrs, and was down to an 8 HCP for about 2 yrs but have been in a funk for the past 1 1/2 yrs--probably mostly mental--and HCP has ballooned up to 12. Hopefully these can help to reverse the trend and I'll get back to single digits--especially since I plan on retiring in the next year.

Thanks. The clubs were in great shape. After 3-4 rounds can't differentiate the Ebay set from the additional new clubs I bought to fill out the set. Was a bit reluctant to buy off Ebay, but seller had picture of serial # and suggested I contact Ping--they confirmed the authenticity and specs--in fact, the seller had not mentioned that the clubs were 1/4 degree strong so that was a nice surprise--as I approach 60 I can use all the length I can get. I had thought about trying the G20's but couldn't get past the very chunky looks. The i20's seem to be more than forgiving enough. I thought I could use new clubs to try help turn my game around--been playing about 15 yrs, and was down to an 8 HCP for about 2 yrs but have been in a funk for the past 1 1/2 yrs--probably mostly mental--and HCP has ballooned up to 12. Hopefully these can help to reverse the trend and I'll get back to single digits--especially since I plan on retiring in the next year.

Good luck I believe you made the right choice to help you, but i would say that I have never hit a ball like I do with the I20s on a consistant basis, yesterdays range session consisted of mainly 7 irons to a 140 yard flag which I would say 58-60 was on the green 25-30 inside 8 feet which I have never done with my over irons before.

I think there are a lot of guys on this site who have played these and seen their game improve--and they are just fun to hit. There should be lots of golf in your near future then and hopefully a southward trending handicap.

Good luck I believe you made the right choice to help you, but i would say that I have never hit a ball like I do with the I20s on a consistant basis, yesterdays range session consisted of mainly 7 irons to a 140 yard flag which I would say 58-60 was on the green 25-30 inside 8 feet which I have never done with my over irons before.

Good stuff, man.

Gosh you guys are making it hard for me to choose my next set of irons :banghead:. I have my mind set on a set 5 - PW Bridgestone J40's and then I read this thread and get pumped for these :confused2:. Dang ya!

Gosh you guys are making it hard for me to choose my next set of irons :banghead:. I have my mind set on a set 5 - PW Bridgestone J40's and then I read this thread and get pumped for these :confused2:. Dang ya!

Did I mention I have scored in the 70s in my last 3 rounds with these? They just inspire pure confidence every time I line a shot up.

Did I mention I have scored in the 70s in my last 3 rounds with these? They just inspire pure confidence every time I line a shot up.

See what I mean :bulgy-eyes:

Have you tried the i20s ole? I'm bias but compare them head to head I'm willing to bet the i20s win lol

I've hit my wife's pings however they have women's shafts and are two degrees upright. With that said, I did like the feel of the ball coming off the club face.

Go try them, you know you want to, that and you know it makes sense.

haha then i would be one of you elitist. lol Heck my wife is now an elitist :bulgy-eyes:

I still try to use these every now and then and I just can't make them work. Sad story I was expecting so much =(

Thanks all

Tim

Sent from my iPad

Might be late in my reply, just saw this.

I was in the same situation. Just returned to golf after a 11 year break. I knew I needed something more forgiving than my Mizzy blades now. I demoed just about every SGI iron on the market last summer. One guy at GS suggested I give the i20s a try based on my old HC and irons. Just seemed to be to much club for me, but I tried them anyway. All I have to say is that they are very forgiving, and feel great on pure shots You know where you missed on bad one, but not punishing like my blades, on the hands and the shot. The guys at PGASS were insistent that I need more of a SGI iron, and me try the G20, JPX800, AP1, Redlines, Razr X and a few other I can't remember now. I ended up getting the Redlines, but could never bond with them, so I went back to my blades. Even had me thinking about just buying a newer cavity back forged Mizuno set. But, I gave the i20s a go on the monitor pretty much every time I demoed another iron. The more I tried them more I noticed they felt as good as the several forged clubs I tried, but flew straighter, higher, and longer for me.

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of i20s, 4-pw. I am carrying 5-pw in bag lately, but the fact I could hit the 4 iron so well pushed me over the edge on the i20s. The i20s are very forgiving, but look like a players club at address, and feel like one too. I am easily 10-15 yards longer,
when my swing is working, with the i20s than any irons I have played before. I was blowing my approaches over the greens the first few rounds until I learned to trust the i20s.

My miss is usually either on the tow, fat, or both. I grabbed a 6 iron instead of a 7 for a 163 yard approach Friday because I was stiff and it was cold out. I caught it very fat and the ball ended up just short on the fringe of the green. Good thing I caught it fat or it would have been over the green. I am still amazed at how forgiving these are. I have hit so many terrible shots with the i20s that have ended up way better than they should have.

You can't let her in doors out do you, men are supposed to be the stronger sex lol.

Don't keep after him to buy the Pings. I like winning! ;)

I've never felt confident with my irons until now. It's always been my weakest area but now I think it's my strongest. Took me a few rounds to realize I was delofting the club by pressing too much which caused a bunch of thinned shots.

Back