Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Looking at the specs they seem to have a lot of bounce. Seven degrees in a 6 iron seems like a lot...no? Anyone have any issues with this...or see any specific benefit?

I have a little video some pages back that shows the sole compared to other clubs. I was a little hesitant with that bounce as well. I've had no issues at all with turf interaction. Think it's one of the strengths of the i20s actually. Also, I recall reading somewhere Ping's explanation for the amount of bounce on the i20s. Can't recall where, try to find it for you.

edit: If you check out that vid you will see the distinct relief under the lead edge. This really helps on fatter shots (let's the bounce do its thing) and will be very handy when things get bone dry in the summer.

Thanks Yoccos and Griff.My concern would be hitting clubs with this much bounce off of tight dry turf. I guess the relief would help prevent hitting the ball thin?

Thanks Yoccos and Griff.My concern would be hitting clubs with this much bounce off of tight dry turf. I guess the relief would help prevent hitting the ball thin?

It would prevent the club from snagging on the ground or bouncing right off the turf into the ball. Would probably be thin and maybe even bladed. I haven't hit off hardpan yet, but based on my past experience with other clubs that have a similar sole design that relief helps a ton.

It would prevent the club from snagging on the ground or bouncing right off the turf into the ball. Would probably be thin and maybe even bladed. I haven't hit off hardpan yet, but based on my past experience with other clubs that have a similar sole design that relief helps a ton.

I've played them off hardpan with no issues. In Oklahoma, we have a lot of hardpan. It does seem like a lit of bounce to the initial look but its a PING design characteristic they have always had, except maybe in the S lines. Its just part of their whole design for the club and I honestly think it works great in the end, they brought it all together.

Killer recap Jman! Great round as well.

I can't agree enough about being aggressive. Not sure why, could be my setup. Whenever I "go easy" I'm not too happy with the results.

The little 7I punch shot I've done once. Worked for me too.

Glad you commented on forgiveness. I can't argue with you that these are not too punishing on misses. It's hard to believe that a cub like this can still make something out of very little. I've hit some so far out on the toe I shouldn't have been allowed to even switch clubs for the next shot.

Exceptional work as usual Jman!

Thanks Griff, the chip/putt/pitch 7i is one I used to use a LOT. Always been good to me when you have the feel down, sometimes simple is better.

Awesome stuff JMan....sounds like you're really comfy with thess right away!

Thanks buddy. I'm more so than I thought I would be seeing how impressed I was with the J40's. This was a round where you look down at the scorecard at the end and it doesn't feel like you shot that.

Thorough feedback Jman, thanks.

Gracias Kmac, its appreciated.

Good stuff so far guys.... the claims so far of the forgiveness in this clubhead have me intrigued for sure. If I'm going to move off of my current set, its going to be to a club that gives me a little more on mis hits.

JMan, sounds like the C-Tapers are working out for you in these clubs. I'd say there's a really good chance the C-Tapers will be in my next set of irons (currently hitting the X-100s into the stratosphere with my swing changes).

I hear that Ping's swingweight is quite low versus many other clubs. Has this been an issue for anyone so far?

Jman: I hate you a little right now. You'll see why later

Honestly I've never considered Ping much before but this thread has me really intrigued. What really impresses me about Ping is their devotion to custom fitting. Has anyone gone through their nFlight fitting process?

I've done it twice now. I know Sean has a thread on the boards about his experience recently as well.

Looking at the specs they seem to have a lot of bounce. Seven degrees in a 6 iron seems like a lot...no? Anyone have any issues with this...or see any specific benefit?

Issues for me? Yes but that all has to do with a "flaw" in my swing that I'm never going to "fix" or change. Ping will do a tour grind on the irons for you to remove bounce if you want.

Good stuff so far guys.... the claims so far of the forgiveness in this clubhead have me intrigued for sure. If I'm going to move off of my current set, its going to be to a club that gives me a little more on mis hits.

JMan, sounds like the C-Tapers are working out for you in these clubs. I'd say there's a really good chance the C-Tapers will be in my next set of irons (currently hitting the X-100s into the stratosphere with my swing changes).

I hear that Ping's swingweight is quite low versus many other clubs. Has this been an issue for anyone so far?

Not for me G4L. Ping will give you whatever SW you want when you order if you feel they are too light.

Not for me G4L. Ping will give you whatever SW you want when you order if you feel they are too light.

Good to hear. I can honestly say I'd never considered gaming Pings before, and yet, here I am all of a sudden.

The CT's just fit my swing well, let me take the shaft out of the equation in the testing since I already new that. I do love them though.

I thought the same of the swing weights, thats why I got all of mine bumped up to at least D2.

I bumped up the wedge SW's, irons left alone.

What's great about Ping is if I found the iron SW to not be to my liking I just send them in and they change it. If my lie needs adjusted send them away and they come back adjusted with new paint fill. If for some reason I need a little less bounce on my 5I, send it in and they grind it down. Sky's the limit.

I bumped up the wedge SW's, irons left alone.

What's great about Ping is if I found the iron SW to not be to my liking I just send them in and they change it. If my lie needs adjusted send them away and they come back adjusted with new paint fill. If for some reason I need a little less bounce on my 5I, send it in and they grind it down. Sky's the limit.

Yeah, that is pretty cool for sure. Just don't treat your clubs like I treat my sideburns... trim a little off one side, try to even up the other, and so on until you are burnless.

Yeah, that is pretty cool for sure. Just don't treat your clubs like I treat my sideburns... trim a little off one side, try to even up the other, and so on until you are burnless.

Well, at least they'll grow back :D

Great job with the reviews so far. Does anyone know if the heads can be bent for stronger lofts or will the material not allow it without risk of breaking?

Mine were bent 1* strong

D2 here also - I think all Ping does is change the weight of the insert in the clubhead - nice and easy...

The CT's just fit my swing well, let me take the shaft out of the equation in the testing since I already new that. I do love them though.

I thought the same of the swing weights, thats why I got all of mine bumped up to at least D2.

I take huge divots and what I found when I hit the 7i on the range is a much shallower (sp) divot and it was wonderful.

This!! Turf interaction with my steep swing is fantastic. Less stress on my hands and fingers as well. Loving the bounce on these!

Way to be Chunkylate on the reply buddy. Hehehehe

Haha busy busy at work so catching up when the bosses go out to lunch. Just don't tell Yorkem!!

Haha busy busy at work so catching up when the bosses go out to lunch. Just don't tell Yorkem!!
Better late than never Chunky! :) Actually, thanks to everyone with all the very informative responses. THP is the best place for reviews on the web by far.

The i20 is slightly lighter than my MP-52s but not enough to make me change timing. I've said it in this thread before but I absolutely love these clubs. Feel on solid shots is great, mis-hits still fly good distance. Had 160 on par 3 Sunday, hit it thin but straight at target. Probably went 145. Very windy Sunday and had to play several knockdown shots. Very easy and solid feel.

If I could find one bad thing with these irons, it's the stock Ping grips. I don't know if I will start the summer with them on. Everything else is a 10 to me

Oh man. Not a review. Just a huge statement.

On Sunday I got my first eagle on a par 4!!!

i20 6i, 174 out, steady wind in my face and slightly right to left. Hit a beauty of a fade that held up against the wind nicely, dropped about a foot in front of and slightly to the left of the flag. Ball commenced to roll its happy butt right into the hole.

Tiger fist pumps ensued.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

i20 6i, 174 out, steady wind in my face and slightly right to left. Hit a beauty of a fade that held up against the wind nicely, dropped about a foot in front of and slightly to the left of the flag. Ball commenced to roll its happy butt right into the hole.

That Lee Westwood grin ensued.

Had to FIFY Colt!

Congrats on the eagle brother.

Had to FIFY Colt!

Congrats on the eagle brother.

Hehehe... works for me. Not much of a Tiger homer anyway. I don't know what happened. The ball went in the hole and my right arm just started spasming up and down.

Warning: i20's cause weird involuntary celebratory dances.

And a hefty bar tab ensued I hope - congrats Colt!

Tiger fist pumps ensued.

I know it's still way early, but I'm wondering if you guys are seeing durability issues? I read on a few other forums that the i20s wear pretty quickly. That sure doesn't sound like typical Ping and the matte finish that they use. How are they holding up so far?

Back