Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I know it's still way early, but I'm wondering if you guys are seeing durability issues? I read on a few other forums that the i20s wear pretty quickly. That sure doesn't sound like typical Ping and the matte finish that they use. How are they holding up so far?

I've only got two rounds under my belt so far and haven't noticed anything. What kind of issues are others seeing?

I've only got two rounds under my belt so far and haven't noticed anything. What kind of issues are others seeing?

Word is the finish is wearing off very fast and that Ping may have even made some changes to help the issue.

I am not really noticing significant wear. I have hit a crap ton of balls too. Maybe I need to clean my clubs. As a comparison, my new Cally wedges have significant wear on the face in only a few range sessions

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Word is the finish is wearing off very fast and that Ping may have even made some changes to help the issue.

SO the finish is wearing off to what? Raw?

What's PING going to do about the irons that may be experiencing finish problems that people already own?

SO the finish is wearing off to what? Raw?

What's PING going to do about the irons that may be experiencing finish problems that people already own?

Yeah the matte finish is wearing off to whatever is underneath it and rather quickly.

Yeah the matte finish is wearing off to whatever is underneath it and rather quickly.

Well, if that happens to mine then PING will be hearing from me for sure. In my experiences with them in the past they're very awesome to deal with.

Well, if that happens to mine then PING will be hearing from me for sure. In my experiences with them in the past they're very awesome to deal with.

Yes, supposedly (and some posted pics to prove it) that the soles are now raw and the face shows significant wear after not too long. PING has always had finishes that last forever but many are comparing these to the s56 finish. Someone mentioned that PING would re-coat the irons for the individual, but I can't remember the charge.

Yes, supposedly (and some posted pics to prove it) that the soles are now raw and the face shows significant wear after not too long. PING has always had finishes that last forever but many are comparing these to the s56 finish. Someone mentioned that PING would re-coat the irons for the individual, but I can't remember the charge.

I hope there would be none. I am not seeing anything like this myself so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Guessing Ping will take care of any issues that may arise. They are awesome that way. 10 days and counting...

This is why I haven't commented on the wear in any of my reviews yet, I haven't been playing them long enough to form a complete judgement on it. All in due time.

Nice shot up there Colt!

Still keeping my eye on the finish. Will update if I notice anything. So far so good.

I noticed my finish wearing when I went to a range with a sandy base under the turf. If you are hitting on a range with more soil, I did not notice it as much.

I am hoping the weather holds up with Saturday as it is the only chance I am going to get to play until maybe Monday, and that would be range time.

As for wear, I do see a little where I have been hitting them most consistently, but this is no different than what I see on my 3w and hybrid.

Mine are definitely wearing down. And they are doing it rather quickly.

Hadn't heard anything about them wearing down to raw though. Mine is more just the darker finish on the groove area wearing off.

I had decided to just deal with it. However, my tune will change if the soles start going RAW!

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Well this is my first post on the forum and I can't thank you guys enough for the reviews. I hit a demo 7 iron and loved it but just couldn't convince myself to make the plunge. But after reading all the reviews here, I am getting fit tonight for a new set.

So thanks again for all the great information.

Well this is my first post on the forum and I can't thank you guys enough for the reviews. I hit a demo 7 iron and loved it but just couldn't convince myself to make the plunge. But after reading all the reviews here, I am getting fit tonight for a new set.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Beast mode from tapatalk

Welcome sighman. Let us know how they work for you. Welcome to THP!

Sighman... You won't be sorry you made the purchase.

yep

yep

This sight will cost you! But man is it fun...

What a range session!

I think I legitimately want a 3-iron.

Write up as soon as I can get it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a range session!

Even with my limited use of it, the 3i is definitely a winner.

Ha

Ha

First post on here.

Ordered I20 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, and 5i-LW on Monday and then found this site Mnday night. First let me say I hit my G2 3i about 215-220. I went into the fitting just knowing they were going to tell me I needed hybrids and I was going to have to show them that I certainly did not NEED a hybrid. And I was right!! I hit the snot out of the 3i and 4i. But then I hit the I20 hybrids. The good hits were good with both. The bad hits on the irons sliced like they always do. The bad hits on the hybrids.....still went pretty straight and a loooong way. Just for what it's worth.

Simply cannot wait for these irons to get here. You guys got me like a kid at Christmas. Thanks for all the info.

First post on here.

Ordered I20 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid, and 5i-LW on Monday and then found this site Mnday night. First let me say I hit my G2 3i about 215-220. I went into the fitting just knowing they were going to tell me I needed hybrids and I was going to have to show them that I certainly did not NEED a hybrid. And I was right!! I hit the snot out of the 3i and 4i. But then I hit the I20 hybrids. The good hits were good with both. The bad hits on the irons sliced like they always do. The bad hits on the hybrids.....still went pretty straight and a loooong way. Just for what it's worth.

Simply cannot wait for these irons to get here. You guys got me like a kid at Christmas. Thanks for all the info.

glad you found us! congrats on your purchase!

First post on here.

Welcome to THP! Sounds like the i20s are a great fit for you.

What a range session!

Multiquote fail on me. Got 18 lined up on a pretty challenging course tomorrow. Can't wait to hear about your session Jman.

Back