Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I am going to up grade my irons from taylormade burners to the ping i20s, do you think its worth gettnig properly fitted for them or using them straight off the shelf from my local dealer?

I would take advantage of the fitting for sure. My measurements showed I should be upright but when I hit them at my fitting, std was best. ping offers this so do it if you can to make sure your lie angle is correct. It makes a difference on the course.

Ran out of time to get my round posted up today. Hopefully, I'll have it up this weekend. May get called in to work so we shall see.

Was an interesting round, did a little Tin Cup action on the 1st tee. 46 with an 11 on #1? Yeah, interesting round. :bulgy-eyes:

Ok, so finally was able to hit this club outside. Borrowed a 7 iron demo club from my favorite mom and pop shop for the weekend. I hit the range today with it and I'll be on the course tomorrow.

Hitting this thing out side made a world of difference. You can spend all day long on the lm but until you get it out side, you can't appreciate it. IMO, that is. I hit this along side my Mizuno's that has the DG X100 shaft. The i20 has the Ping stock shaft in Stiff. I was surprised at how well the ball come off the i20. I was definitely a club to club and a half longer than my Mizuno's. It was such a pleasure hitting this thing. It was just fun to hit. I was really surprised at the forgiveness of this stick as well. I think just about any decent ball striker can use it, it's just that easy to hit. Turf interaction is fantastic. It cuts through the turf with ease if you catch one heavy and doesn't punish you nearly of what you deserve.

Question for all you shaft guru's. I think TC and my swing specs are very similar. (ss - 91, tempo - 6, etc) With the stiff stock offering the ball went high. Not ballooning high, just high. Definitely higher than my Mizzies. With those, I got that sweet penetrating ball flight. Has anyone tried the i20 with any other shafts like the KBS Tours? Wondering if those will bring the ball flight down. The x100 is a great shaft, but to echo TC, if I try and play more than 18, they wear me out. At 130 grams, I definitely want a lighter shaft. just not sure I like that high of a ball flight. That would be a pain to try and manage on a windy day.

At any rate... Not trying to blow sunshine up everyone's dress, but if you haven't hit the i20, you should. And especially outside. I can't wait to hit this on the course tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone moved from the Callaway Razr X Tours to these? If so, any chance of an opinion on how they compare?

Ok, so finally was able to hit this club outside. Borrowed a 7 iron demo club from my favorite mom and pop shop for the weekend. I hit the range today with it and I'll be on the course tomorrow.

Hitting this thing out side made a world of difference. You can spend all day long on the lm but until you get it out side, you can't appreciate it. IMO, that is. I hit this along side my Mizuno's that has the DG X100 shaft. The i20 has the Ping stock shaft in Stiff. I was surprised at how well the ball come off the i20. I was definitely a club to club and a half longer than my Mizuno's. It was such a pleasure hitting this thing. It was just fun to hit. I was really surprised at the forgiveness of this stick as well. I think just about any decent ball striker can use it, it's just that easy to hit. Turf interaction is fantastic. It cuts through the turf with ease if you catch one heavy and doesn't punish you nearly of what you deserve.

Question for all you shaft guru's. I think TC and my swing specs are very similar. (ss - 91, tempo - 6, etc) With the stiff stock offering the ball went high. Not ballooning high, just high. Definitely higher than my Mizzies. With those, I got that sweet penetrating ball flight. Has anyone tried the i20 with any other shafts like the KBS Tours? Wondering if those will bring the ball flight down. The x100 is a great shaft, but to echo TC, if I try and play more than 18, they wear me out. At 130 grams, I definitely want a lighter shaft. just not sure I like that high of a ball flight. That would be a pain to try and manage on a windy day.

At any rate... Not trying to blow sunshine up everyone's dress, but if you haven't hit the i20, you should. And especially outside. I can't wait to hit this on the course tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had similar problems with the CFS stiff, so I opted for the KBS tour stiff 120grams, which tightened my dispersion and brought my launch angle down a little. I was going to consider the c-tapers, which are even lower but generally my ball flight is quite low anyway, so the tours seemed to do the trick. Try both the tour and the c-taper if you can and you'll definitely see a lower launch angle in my opinion.

Last edited:
*tries to act composed* ok, so just got word that my i20's arrive in on Monday. I seriously cannot wait. I'm off to play my monthly medal with my mp52's and then retire them to the attic (unless they win me the medal of course, then they sleep in the bed beside me).

Last edited:

i was wondering why you want to change from the MPs to these,feel wise MPs are better and forgivness only comes into it from the 5/4/3 all the others are the same,well they were to me,not having a go at you just wondering if you just fancied a change

i was wondering why you want to change from the MPs to these,feel wise MPs are better and forgivness only comes into it from the 5/4/3 all the others are the same,well they were to me,not having a go at you just wondering if you just fancied a change

I'm moving from MP52 to i20's. There's very little difference in the feel department to be honest, also there is more forgiveness up through the entire set, especially off toe hits, plus there is also added yardage. That's my opinion anyway.

Got to the range early this morning. Just wanted to concentrate on hitting the sweet spot instead of off the toe like I've been doing with these. Moved a hair closer to the ball and started hitting at a flag 170 yards away with a 7I. First 50 balls I came up short. Just still not extending the left arm through the swing and the result is the club is not reaching the ball like it should. Thus toe shots. The crazy thing is the distance I was still seeing. I was only coming up about 10 yards short

Grabbed the W and just started concentrating on full extension of the left arm backward and forward. It's the backward move that is the key. If I give it a nice wide back, then it's easier to extend going through. Started hitting the ball really well and right on center.

Grabbed the 7I again with my final 10 balls and now just launched some shots right onto that green. Little tailwind behind so that is why I was seeing 170. Finally cleaned a club that had some marks on the center. Man do these irons feel great when struck well. Just a nice soaring ball flight that goes and goes. Turf interaction is fantastic with these. The sole really does a great job of contacting the ground and just keeps going without getting too deep. My divots were nice and thin. Enjoyable ending to my session

Nice update Chunky, glad you are starting to feel comfortable with these irons, and you are seeing some incredible distance there. 170 yard 7 irons are pretty large, like Phil Long.

Paleface hit the nail on the head. To me, there is more forgiveness in the i20's, especially on toe hits. I'm not into the whole "distance" ban wagon thing but it was nice hitting the 7 iron 185 instead of the 6. Again, this is just me, I don't expect everyone to think like I do. However, the i20's are no aluminum baseball bat, but I do think the Mizunos have a better feel. (not referring to the whole forged vs vast thing either) :)

Nice update Chunky, glad you are starting to feel comfortable with these irons, and you are seeing some incredible distance there. 170 yard 7 irons are pretty large, like Phil Long.

Haha did I not say there was a tailwind? Probably a good 1 club wind up there.

My coach picked these up the other night and started taking some swings. Man did these babies do different things with his nice swing. He was hitting some tremendous shots. High/low, fade/draw. He went in and ordered his set right then and there.

Like the recent posts. Helps me get through the doldrums of a full work weekend.

Has anyone moved from the Callaway Razr X Tours to these? If so, any chance of an opinion on how they compare?

I played the RXT's w/ KBS Tours in xstiff for the bulk of last season. Great iron! One thing you probably like about the RXT's, because I sure did, was how petitie they look at address. The i20's are a lot like they. You know you have a club in your hands that offer a good amount of forgiveness but looking down at address you get that "player's" iron sense. I prefer the leading edge and playability of the i20s a bit more. The RXT's were great for straight and high balls for me but I can manipulate the flight of the ball a bit better with the i20s.

I also think the i20's just look better, especially the cavity design. I like the brushed nickel finish on the RXTs but I thought the cavity was a bit of an eye sore. The RXTs feel much heavier in the head but they get through the ball like a ramrod. I could play either set to be honest. I like the stock shaft in the i20s much better than the DG series in the Cally's.

I think you should hit the 20s and see what you think. They're a very different iron.

Ok. Because of you goofs I took the plunge today at a demo day:)
i20, 5-UW, +2 long, xstiff CFS, silver dot, black/red multicompound midsize
He said about a week or so to get them. That's too long. hehe!

Does THP get a kickback? Now where is the forum that makes me putt like Luke Donald?

Ok. Because of you goofs I took the plunge today at a demo day:)
i20, 5-UW, +2 long, xstiff CFS, silver dot, black/red multicompound midsize
He said about a week or so to get them. That's too long. hehe!

Does THP get a kickback? Now where is the forum that makes me putt like Luke Donald?

I hope yours don't get delayed. My buddy's will now take 2.5-3 weeks to get them because of a huge back order.

Tap before talk.

I hope yours don't get delayed. My buddy's will now take 2.5-3 weeks to get them because of a huge back order.

Tap before talk.

it'll be 8 weeks on Monday for me. I barely remember what they look like it's been so long.

Wow... That's crazy! I wouldn't tolerate that. I wonder what compensation they are going to offer every customer with a delay like that. Not acceptable.

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

The weather this week has done nothing but piss me off. In addition to onlt having one day this week I could actually get out and hit some balls (and the day having 25MPH winds) I chose to go to the range rather than the course because at the time I was waiting on the two drivers, fairway wood, and a couple putters to come in (yes, ho).

REFERENCE LINKS:
  • Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE
  • Third Round: CLICK HERE
  • Wear Report: CLICK HERE
  • Fourth Round: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 4/12/12
Played: Range Session
Weather: 75* and WINDY, 25+ MPH winds

Range Work:
Do you ever have those days where you just have this feeling your swing isn't there or won't be there? This was that day for me, so I went into the range session with no set plans of what I would hit and in what order, I just wanted to hit what I felt like and not push the issue. It turns out that with the 25 MPH wind gusts that was a solid idea, just pick a club and let it work how you feel it. My only focuses really were on taking clean divots and keeping that damn deceleration tendency of mine out of the picture.

For the sake of making this thing readable, I've broken the session into categories, hopefully keeping me from rambling too much.

Wedges:
I figured since I wasn't "feeling it" on the day starting in with the wedges and just focusing on my tempo and turf interaction with a variety of different shots, good decision it seems.

Began with the good ole LW (57*) and just taking partial wedge shots at the 25 yard and 50 yard markers on the range. Because of the wind I had to work a bit on playing them back a bit more and trying to keep it down but not totally squash my spin, something I'm not used to doing by any means. I really am impressed with the forgiveness of the set wedges more than I thought I would be, still not sure its a game changing factor for switching from, say, SCOR's or 588's but I honestly thing it wouldn't hurt you all that much (if any) either, maybe just mentally for some because they love their Vokey's so much, I dunno. The grind on the LW, and the others for that matter, may be the great equalizing factor on that topic though. I was able to flight the shots as I wanted into the wind and honestly I think it was a great thing to have to do.

After the initial LW I pulled out the SW (53*), UW (49*), and PW (45*) and worked on the same things, flighting my shots into the wind and I spent some effort on adjusting my grip position (up or down) to effect the distance (a-la the SCOR method). Honestly, the SW and the UW gave me no problem with any of these shots much like the LW. The combo of the WRX grinds and the forgiveness naturally in the club quite the little duo IMO.

The PW though I struggled with. Flighting wasn't an issue but controlling the run out and spin was, this left me baffled on the range and it wasn't until I got to thinking about it later at home that I realized the shafts were the difference there. The PW has the C-Taper in it while the other three are packing the Spinner's, sooooooo duh.

Other Clubs:
I honestly ended up pitching, flopping, flighting, whatevering the wedges for so long that by the time I wanted to switch I only had about 25 balls left. Honestly though looking back this was a good thing since I was swinging into 25 MPH gusts.

I actually left the 7, 8, and 9 in the bag and just spent the last 25 on the 4, 5, and 6 because of the wind. The goal was to work on those flighted wind balls that I will openly admit I suuuuuuuck at. About 16 of the balls were absolutely terrible, I mean pure stink, and I don't say that because it was bad contact or swings but instead because I failed at keeping them down and the wind killed me. Even with the lower launching CT's I was being punked by the winds as far as distances were concerned but the ballstriking was clean for not feeling it. Yes, I had a couple traditional fatties (they need loving too) and some legit toe strikes but again the i20's rewarded me with playable shots...they just would have been more playable with no wind haha.

About 9 of the balls, 5 with the 4i coincidentally, I got it right and hit some of the best wind balls I ever have. Kept it back, kept it down, and the club just worked. I can't ask for more than that with my game.

Ending Thoughts:

A good day for not feeling it. The i20's just let me have fun when I started with my wedges and I think that took my mind off of things and just let me flow on the range messing around with stuff. It really was just fun even thought I was out there alone and being sand blasted with the wind gusts.

Again simply just a positive outing even though it wasn't much. I keep waiting for that round or session where nothing works and I just get pissy like a little teenager but I haven't seen it yet. I like the i20's so far because if you just let them work, they really seem to do just that. They won't be miracle perfect shots every single swing, but they are more than good enough so far to keep me happy as a lark.

I really do need to get the flip-cam out for you all and I really will, this session I was just too pissy and didn't want to fight the wind, I apologize to ya all.

You've been waiting 8 weeks on yours? Madness.

Yep, 8 weeks. Mad i know. The combo of being a leftie, ordering with KBS shaft and being caught up in the middle of their face wearing issue pushed the delivery out. I'm based in Ireland too so not sure if the UK get a lower stock level than in the US. My friend is 9 weeks waiting. His clubs came in and then were recalled. They'll be in Monday so i'm sure the wait will be well worth it.

I really do need to get the flip-cam out for you all and I really will, this session I was just too pissy and didn't want to fight the wind, I apologize to ya all.

No apologies needed Jman. Great review as usual. I seem to be playing in nothing but windy conditions at the moment. It really throws off your swing over 18 holes i think. I'm hoping that those KBS tours keep low for me and i don't regret not choosing c-tapers. I'll know next week. Four rounds of golf planned with my i20's in what looks like will be wet n windy conditions. Oh well, better than no golf.

Wow... That's crazy! I wouldn't tolerate that. I wonder what compensation they are going to offer every customer with a delay like that. Not acceptable.

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

I agree flix but they've apologized and given me a free club for the trouble. I guess delays happen. Should be sorted Monday.

I'm moving from MP52 to i20's. There's very little difference in the feel department to be honest, also there is more forgiveness up through the entire set, especially off toe hits, plus there is also added yardage. That's my opinion anyway.

I recently changed from MP52 to i20. I spent over 2 hours today on the range with them. I can do anything with the i20 clubs that I could with the MP's but the MP's cannot give you the forgiveness that i20's can. I agree with the feel and feedback. Mp's are smooth but the i20 is very close. Forgiveness is the main reason I changed and could not be happier. These clubs are for real. I could go on and on but I already have

Nice write up Jman! I agree with you on the set wedges. I am struggling a little with greenside chips and distance control, can't get comfortable with the UW for chips. Pitches and full shots are perfect. The 54 may take over as I'm running the 50 too much. 54 is a little more loft than I prefer on chips, but that club has been really good for me. Holed out the 54 on a chip Friday. That's 3 weeks in a row the 54 has holed something out. One was during a test and wasn't scored, other 2 went on the card.

I have one post in the waiting, just need the hour to hour and half to do it right. Had a wild round with a wild swing.

Back