PING i230 Irons and iCrossover

Going out again today with some better weather and on a course I’m more comfortable on. Going to really try and put these irons to the test today

I know power spec'ing these is popular but has anybody gone retro specs on the i230s? What'd you see vs. standard specs?

I know power spec'ing these is popular but has anybody gone retro specs on the i230s? What'd you see vs. standard specs?

These clubs have some spin even in power specs ... I'd get on a monitor and see what happens.

A buddy of mine just got the i230s and he is a very good golfer but he is hitting the crap out of them. I used to have i200s which I hit really well and seeing how he hits the i230s has me wanting to try them.

I can’t see a reason to go retro spec. Unless you’re 7i SS is on par with Rory or Cam Young, I think it would do more harm than good. They spin like crazy

Just got done with my second round and I’m starting to feel a lot more comfortable. Distances more in line with what I’d expect. Hit a couple off the toe that still hit greens. Spun a few about 5ft back. Went 7/13 with these today which I’ll happily take. I’d expect that number to go up as I get used to them.

Oh not to mention, the feel is incredible. Solid feedback on mishits but pure or even semi pure strikes feel buttery soft. They cut through the turf like a hot knife through butter

These clubs have some spin even in power specs ... I'd get on a monitor and see what happens.

I can’t see a reason to go retro spec. Unless you’re 7i SS is on par with Rory or Cam Young, I think it would do more harm than good. They spin like crazy
Oh I know they spin! I’ve had them in the bag since they came out. Honestly I’m just looking for a way to free up a club, was thinking about trying a 47 PW to 52/58 wedge setup and I know retro specs get me there.

Sim league tonight with the new irons. Looking forward to getting some data with these clubs. I expect the spin to read more absurd than it actually is given it’s a trackman in a very dim room with a heavily abused RCT but we’ll see how it goes!

Was not a good ball striking day but the i230s really shined. Didn’t really end up short on many shots which was a surprise because I could barely find the club face. There were even 1 or 2 where I was expecting to come up well short and I flew the green.

Still need to get used to the long irons but I don’t think distance is going to be as big a concern as I was expecting. Even yesterday, I carried a 196 yard uphill par 3 and ended up pin high. Contact wasn’t even great. Can’t wait for the season to ramp up so I can put some more work in

Pretty solid practice session. This is with my 8i. 5i was a little more toe side. Only complain is it’s nearly impossible to get these black marks offIMG_5540.jpeg

Anyone have any ideas to get the black marks off the face? Starting to bug me because I can’t see my contact.

Today was a solid practice session with the short and mid irons. Struggled with the 4 and 6. I was playing around with trying to work the ball and it was going pretty good. Really itching to get these on the grass range but we still have a while to go

Absolutely brutal simulator session with the i230s. Really need to get these outside.

Not putting too much stock into it as I wasn’t really getting along with the mat. I will say the shots I hit did show a surprising amount of forgiveness

I’ll just leave this here….dont mind the toe. I was…experimenting.

Still trying to figure out the 4i but overall I’m really loving these. They have a really nice snap to them when you find the sweet spot. Also a really piercing ball flight.

IMG_5575.jpeg

Looks like you are getting these dialed! My only complaint is these irons spin to the moon. I back up 6 irons. I am hoping my ping fitting will either put me in the blue print S or find a better shaft for me with these to curb some of the spin.

Looks like you are getting these dialed! My only complaint is these irons spin to the moon. I back up 6 irons. I am hoping my ping fitting will either put me in the blue print S or find a better shaft for me with these to curb some of the spin.
Yeah I agree, it’s gonna take some getting used to but if I can get my distances down I won’t really care. I have x100s in there now but was thinking of going Tour Issue or maybe even C Tapers down the road

Ball striking has been good indoors with these. Starting to figure out the long irons although the seem to be launching a little low.

Hoping to get out Sunday morning before the Masters. Going to try playing from the back tees to get a little more action with these

Finally going to be playing a round in decent weather this weekend. Last round was a grind but hit some really good iron shots. Was able to figure some things out with my set up and it gave me some really really good distance.

One thing I will say about these is how easy they are to control. Hitting fades and draws is pretty easy and despite how much they spin, I’ve had some success controlling that as well.

Ball striking wasn’t the best but still managed to hit greens on poor strikes

Back