PING i230 Irons and iCrossover

Hit the 2 iCrossover today with a regular flex. Was surprised how well I hit it. I’ve had some recent success with Mizuno 4 Fli-Hi however it’s just a little short to fit my bag at 21°. A #3 in iCrossover could be just the fit. Couldn’t believe how high I hit it. And off the tee it seems like it could be “Fairway Finder” like the adjustability of the club. Might pick one up tomorrow at PGATSS.
Well, I have a #4 iCrossover incoming - I was able to find one with the Alta CB Regular Flex in stock at Carl's.
I have some tournaments coming up where a club that can give me a straight tee shot and be a "Yardage Eater" in the fairway is going to come in handy.
Think I would have preferred the #3 however the season is close to an end and I'll put this to use until then and this is one is adjustable, so I can loft it up close to a #3 if I need to.

Well, I have a #4 iCrossover incoming - I was able to find one with the Alta CB Regular Flex in stock at Carl's.
I have some tournaments coming up where a club that can give me a straight tee shot and be a "Yardage Eater" in the fairway is going to come in handy.
Think I would have preferred the #3 however the season is close to an end and I'll put this to use until then and this is one is adjustable, so I can loft it up close to a #3 if I need to.

How's launch window with icrossover? 7wd high or ......

How's launch window with icrossover? 7wd high or ......
Higher than my 7w for sure - I just don't hit fairway woods well.
I do much better with Utility Irons, I think I have a more consistent swing with them.
I'll actually have it tomorrow.

I put my #4 iCrossover in the bag on Saturday and I can honestly say, it's not leaving anytime soon.
Don't know what it is however I just hit these UT irons straight either off the deck or tee'd up.
And here is the thing, all the reviews note how this is a "Better Player" club and here I'm a "Bogey Golfer" having success with it.
First time I hit it, I got 6 yards less that I wanted this club to fit in my bag in very wet conditions.
Little too much draw on it, so I made 1* Flat and that seemed to get to go straight.
On the 17th hole, which was a 169 yd Par 3 uphill. I hit the perfect tee shot, high and straight, that left me about 6 feet from the hole, which I made par.
I adjusted the sleeve last night to make it +1*/-1* Stronger/Flat to see if I could squeeze a couple of more yards out of it at 21.5* and took the 7w out of the bag

Overall after 1 round, I'm really liking it and need to make sure that I don't overanalyze my yardage as this time of year I'm just not going to get the same distance out of it as I would have 6 weeks ago.

I put my #4 iCrossover in the bag on Saturday and I can honestly say, it's not leaving anytime soon.
Don't know what it is however I just hit these UT irons straight either off the deck or tee'd up.
And here is the thing, all the reviews note how this is a "Better Player" club and here I'm a "Bogey Golfer" having success with it.
First time I hit it, I got 6 yards less that I wanted this club to fit in my bag in very wet conditions.
Little too much draw on it, so I made 1* Flat and that seemed to get to go straight.
On the 17th hole, which was a 169 yd Par 3 uphill. I hit the perfect tee shot, high and straight, that left me about 6 feet from the hole, which I made par.
I adjusted the sleeve last night to make it +1*/-1* Stronger/Flat to see if I could squeeze a couple of more yards out of it at 21.5* and took the 7w out of the bag

Overall after 1 round, I'm really liking it and need to make sure that I don't overanalyze my yardage as this time of year I'm just not going to get the same distance out of it as I would have 6 weeks ago.
Bump for @gkeller813 - Didn't want to Hijack the other thread.....

IMG_8751.png
This was not necessarily an iron that was on my radar this year, but I really enjoyed getting some swings on it today. Bit of a thicker topline than what I’ve been playing this year, but delivered really good results for me - spin was higher, well struck shots had a great feel, and I was seeing some really nice shot shapes. I’m planning on another iron fitting in January and these will be on the hit list.

View attachment 9217412
This was not necessarily an iron that was on my radar this year, but I really enjoyed getting some swings on it today. Bit of a thicker topline than what I’ve been playing this year, but delivered really good results for me - spin was higher, well struck shots had a great feel, and I was seeing some really nice shot shapes. I’m planning on another iron fitting in January and these will be on the hit list.

They’re super good irons.

They’re super good irons.
Just re-reading through this thread and there’s a lot of feedback that mirrors my thoughts from today regarding the consistency. My fitter also put a shaft in my hands I’d never tried before and it seemed like a really nice combo (Project X IO). I’ve never played a Ping iron before but I could see this one being a contender to change that!

Just re-reading through this thread and there’s a lot of feedback that mirrors my thoughts from today regarding the consistency. My fitter also put a shaft in my hands I’d never tried before and it seemed like a really nice combo (Project X IO). I’ve never played a Ping iron before but I could see this one being a contender to change that

I was the same way never tried a Ping club. Fitter had me try them. Said a lot of local mini tour guys and college kids were putting them in the bag. I decided to try them and loved them. There very very good irons

Got fit into these yesterday and I honestly wasn’t expecting it. Between Srixons and Titleist, these were definitely the best overall feel but the shortest in distance. They were quite forgiving as well. Ended up ordering 4-PW with DG x100s. Should have them in 2-3 weeks

Got fit into these yesterday and I honestly wasn’t expecting it. Between Srixons and Titleist, these were definitely the best overall feel but the shortest in distance. They were quite forgiving as well. Ended up ordering 4-PW with DG x100s. Should have them in 2-3 weeks
Sweet dude. Guessing you were between zx7 and t150? You do anything with lofts? Also how much shorter are we talking?not that you need extra distance.

Sweet dude. Guessing you were between zx7 and t150? You do anything with lofts? Also how much shorter are we talking?not that you need extra distance.
ZX5, ZX7 and T150. Fitter kept ZX5 as an option to see if there was any benefit to the forgiveness. Lofts stayed the same since they’re only 1* weaker than T150 and ZX7. I230s I was consistently carrying 170. A mishit would be 165. T-150 was about 175 on my best strikes but my poor strikes were 160. ZX7 was close to 180 but I didn’t like the feel as much and couldn’t find a shaft combo that felt comfortable. The ZX5 I was carrying 185 but there were some “jumpers”. They basically performed the same as my ZX5s now but felt a little firmer in the MKii. I230s definitely had the best consistency.

ZX5, ZX7 and T150. Fitter kept ZX5 as an option to see if there was any benefit to the forgiveness. Lofts stayed the same since they’re only 1* weaker than T150 and ZX7. I230s I was consistently carrying 170. A mishit would be 165. T-150 was about 175 on my best strikes but my poor strikes were 160. ZX7 was close to 180 but I didn’t like the feel as much and couldn’t find a shaft combo that felt comfortable. The ZX5 I was carrying 185 but there were some “jumpers”. They basically performed the same as my ZX5s now but felt a little firmer in the MKii. I230s definitely had the best consistency.
How would you compare the forgiveness of the i230s and ZX5 Mk II? I’d imagine ZX5 Mk II would be more forgiving but how much so?

How would you compare the forgiveness of the i230s and ZX5 Mk II? I’d imagine ZX5 Mk II would be more forgiving but how much so?
Probably pretty close. I saw better spin out of the i230 across the board, especially on mishits.

I mean honestly they were more similar than you’d think. The key difference between the i230s and most other irons is that they’re just not as long. As far as forgiveness goes, I’d say they were pretty similar to the ZX line. On mishits with the i230s, I would really only lose about 5 yards. On a pull they performed the best. The ZX5s I wouldn’t really lose distance on mishits but I’d feel it more and on a pull they would go 5-10 yards further.

I really couldn’t put a swing on the ZX7s for whatever reason but I’d say they’d be pretty close to the i230s.

My general observation is that Srixon probably offers the best combo of distance/forgiveness while Ping had the best feel and forgiveness. Keep in mind I was unable to hit anything Callaway.

I've been playing various Ping irons for almost 20 yrs and have really enjoyed them. Never felt like they let me down on performance or forgiveness. I'm sort of looking elsewhere now (Cobra really has my eye) but i know i'll have to give the the i230's a consideration when i go for a fitting...

I keep putting these back in the bag. They are shorter and I can suck back a 6iron if I wanted too because of the crazy amount of spin I get. But they are just on auto pilot and can seem to hit every one well and they are super consistent.

I must admit I never considered Ping Iron as a Feel Club. I played my Zings since they 1st came out until 2022 when I purchased ZX5s. I would try friends Irons on Course and the Zings were so much better, but Feel, no idea what that meant until I hit my 1st Srixon. Glad to hear Ping has it all now. Maybe one day I'll grow up to be like @OldandStiff and buy more sets to play with, like a used i230. 😀
P.S. picked up mint condition Eye 2s for my Son ($76) in 2022 and hit them... still not the Feel of my 5s.

I have my i230's with Dart 90 Shafts in power specs and before my shoulder injury late in the Summer, I enjoyed them immensely - forgiving, pleasant feel, consistent, and good distance. I am starting up playing again after a 6 month recovery - first range session ... I was surprised at the ease of my return with these irons.

First round outside with these. Definitely need to work with them on the range but all things considered I was very happy with them. Turf interaction was really good and they felt magnificent.

They definitely spin like crazy so I’m going to have to figure out distances and maybe mess around with some different balls. I think once it warms up I’ll be back to my normal distances.

I still really like the i230s they aren’t in the bag right now, but with how well I played last year with them I could see them returning

I love my i230s with Axiom 105X. They're definitely in the bag for this year. I have, though, thought about going retro spec 4-PW, a 52/58 wedge setup (from the retro spec'ed 47 degree PW), and going 3W, 7W, hybrid, then 4 iron on down, on the long end. Just feel like a higher-lofted hybrid would give me some options out of the rough -- a "get out of jail" sort of club during these wet, shaggy early-spring months in the Chicago area.

Back