I disagree with the vast majority here apparently. I play in a 5-some almost every Fri mid afternoon, and if we're not waiting on anyone, we play the course in 4hr 15 min top. Only time we've ever gone over that is when waiting on 3s or 4s in front of us.

And I walk. (other 4 ride).

To blanket every 5 with an automatic snail pace is ridiculous. I also know of several members at my home course that play as 5s every week and play faster than most 4s.

BUt if you were a 4some you would play in less than 4 hours, instead of 4:15. 4:15 isn't a terrible pace, but its not exactly ideal either.

Most of the courses in the Houston area don't allow 5 somes at all...however my home course being in a more rural area and privately owned does...and it gets frustrating when you get behind them as a 3 some....there is one group that plays every Sunday about 1 pm....15 guys that play as 3 5 somes....and out of the 15 maybe 4 or them can break 100....if you get behind them you're screwed.

I dont understand why they just wouldnt go 4,4,4, and 3.

I have no issue with 5somes if the course is packed or the group is fast. A 5some that holds up play is a no no. But I've played in 5somes that are faster than foursomes.

I dont understand why they just wouldnt go 4,4,4, and 3.

Probably some sort of organized game.

That is why our course has 5somes on fridays, they have an organized game that is played in 5somes. I still hate it.

BUt if you were a 4some you would play in less than 4 hours, instead of 4:15. 4:15 isn't a terrible pace, but its not exactly ideal either.
This every course time for a foursome. So it is ideal for the course and keeping up with the pace of play.

If the course is empty or near empty, I see no issue with it. But if it's crowded, I don't think it's a good idea. Even if they keep up with pace of play, other people are gonna see it. You'll prolly have a ton of pissed people, and probably some who will then think they can go off in 5somes as well.
This is a big thing. We've had people say they saw so and so doing it, why can't they?

I disagree with the vast majority here apparently. I play in a 5-some almost every Fri mid afternoon, and if we're not waiting on anyone, we play the course in 4hr 15 min top. Only time we've ever gone over that is when waiting on 3s or 4s in front of us.

And I walk. (other 4 ride).

To blanket every 5 with an automatic snail pace is ridiculous. I also know of several members at my home course that play as 5s every week and play faster than most 4s.
But to think this is the rule rather than the exception is even more ridiculous. If you allow it for one group you HAVE to allow it for all groups. So you just don't allow it for ANY groups.

I say that if a group is going to go out as a fivesome, and the course says it's OK, then make them buy that other seat in the cart and pay for another round too. Split the cost between the five.

This weekend we nipped that in the bud by pairing up a group of five guys by sending them out 3 and 2, and pairing up another twosome with the two and a single in one of the carts the three had. No way to break into a fivesome at that point. Unless one of them decided to walk. Helped that the course was packed and we had no open tee times during the time these groups went out.

This every course time for a foursome. So it is ideal for the course and keeping up with the pace of play.

The problem is, you obviously are playing with quick players. But if they let your 5some outh, then they have to let the next 5some out. If that is a group that plays in 4:15 as a 4some, they will play in 4:45, and now we have reached ridiculous length rounds.

I prefer to attack the slow play problems of the 4somes in front of you.

Who would have thought this would turn into a slow play thread? I bet even Nostradamus couldn't have predicted that.:act-up:

If your group can keep up and the course allows it, I have no problems with 5. I know we have a group where we had 5's play and keep right up on a group of 3 before. We've had times we've played the last couple holes as 6 because it was so slow. It's all about pace of play. Heck, I wouldn't care if a group played 10 if they kept up. All I'm looking at is the time, not the number of bodies.

Should have let that guy hop in his car and drive on home.....

We had a 5-some in front of us yesterday that lasted for 2 holes. Pro came out and one of the group was asked to withdraw. Weekend mornings are not the time for that stuff. I have no problem with it late in the day when the course is empty.

The problem is, you obviously are playing with quick players. But if they let your 5some outh, then they have to let the next 5some out. If that is a group that plays in 4:15 as a 4some, they will play in 4:45, and now we have reached ridiculous length rounds.

I prefer to attack the slow play problems of the 4somes in front of you.
I've been granted special permission to play as five and no one was allowed. It's up the course who plays as five and who doesn't. I suspect it's rare at most course but if the group keeps up there should be any issue.

This is a big thing. We've had people say they saw so and so doing it, why can't they?

But to think this is the rule rather than the exception is even more ridiculous. If you allow it for one group you HAVE to allow it for all groups. So you just don't allow it for ANY groups.

I say that if a group is going to go out as a fivesome, and the course says it's OK, then make them buy that other seat in the cart and pay for another round too. Split the cost between the five.

This weekend we nipped that in the bud by pairing up a group of five guys by sending them out 3 and 2, and pairing up another twosome with the two and a single in one of the carts the three had. No way to break into a fivesome at that point. Unless one of them decided to walk. Helped that the course was packed and we had no open tee times during the time these groups went out.
Why is it a HAVE to let every group play as 5 if one group plays. It's up to the course and its open to everyone. You don't like them and that's fine but if they aren't holding people up and it's rare I have no issue. Paying for the additional seats is ludicrous

I don't understand the hate from so many people on playing 5's. It happens...deal with it or don't pay your money to the course and find somewhere else to play. If it is allowed then it is allowed. If I have four good friends that want to play I'm not going to tell one no you can't play golf with us because you were the last to ask. I know that all four of the courses in my area allow it as long as you schedule it with them in advance.

A lot of it depends on how "educated" the players are at ready golf and keeping things moving. Heck, with the 3 others I usually play with, our rounds almost always take over 5 hours. Doesn't help they all are always 100+, but they all also have no clue how to move at a steady pace, no matter how hard I try to move them along.

I don't understand the hate from so many people on playing 5's. It happens...deal with it or don't pay your money to the course and find somewhere else to play. If it is allowed then it is allowed. If I have four good friends that want to play I'm not going to tell one no you can't play golf with us because you were the last to ask. I know that all four of the courses in my area allow it as long as you schedule it with them in advance.
I'm glad you voiced your view point so strongly. Some people don't like them and you evidently do. I'm glad you can play 5 with you buddies, problably a good thing.

Not sure why the buddy got so angry and threatened to leave. He must have had a bad experience in/behind a 5some before.

As a general rule of thumb I don't think 5somes should be allowed, but if I had to play in one I would just politely ask the other 4 to make sure and let anyone and everyone that wanted to play through do so since 5somes technically are very slow.

Though you put 5 scratch golfers together and they'll probably finish a round in less than 4 hours.

Why is it a HAVE to let every group play as 5 if one group plays. It's up to the course and its open to everyone. You don't like them and that's fine but if they aren't holding people up and it's rare I have no issue. Paying for the additional seats is ludicrous

Because you have people complaining about why can they but not us. The additional seat thing was kind of tongue in cheek.

Although what if the cart is needed because they are short on carts? So maybe not so tongue in cheek. What if a course has 72 carts. That's good for 144 players, basically two foursomes on each hole. On a busy day you want to play a fivesome and another group just like you wants to play a fivesome later on, spaced throughout the day. You're "keeping up", but there is still not enough carts for the foursomes down the road. How is that fair to the foursome, who has to wait for carts to come in? What if they want to be a fivesome too but are told no, even though you and some groups just like you are all over the course in fivesomes?

No one should get special privileges, that's entitlement that gives golf a bad name. Sorry Freddie, I hate seeing fivesomes, I won't play in fivesomes, and I don't think anyone should be allowed unless everyone is allowed. Hopefully the course just says no to all of them. And sorry, that includes your fivesome.

Because you have people complaining about why can they but not us. The additional seat thing was kind of tongue in cheek.

Although what if the cart is needed because they are short on carts? So maybe not so tongue in cheek. What if a course has 72 carts. That's good for 144 players, basically two foursomes on each hole. On a busy day you want to play a fivesome and another group just like you wants to play a fivesome later on, spaced throughout the day. You're "keeping up", but there is still not enough carts for the foursomes down the road. How is that fair to the foursome, who has to wait for carts to come in? What if they want to be a fivesome too but are told no, even though you and some groups just like you are all over the course in fivesomes?

No one should get special privileges, that's entitlement that gives golf a bad name. Sorry Freddie, I hate seeing fivesomes, I won't play in fivesomes, and I don't think anyone should be allowed unless everyone is allowed. Hopefully the course just says no to all of them. And sorry, that includes your fivesome.

There must be in cart shortage in the midwest. I have never ran into an issue with a course not having enough carts, but you are always bringing it up.

I had never heard of a 5 ball till I came here. I don't know of any course in the UK that would allow a 5some. I've yet to come across it, but the course I play regularly allows them. I gotta say, it's ridiculous and others have said, shouldn't be allowed.

Wouldn't the extra person just go out as a single in their own cart anyway? Or do a lot of courses not allow singles on busy days? I've never understood all the ins and outs of tee times. If I want to golf at either of my two closest courses, I just show up, pay and wait my turn at the 1st tee. I've never been placed with anyone.

There must be in cart shortage in the midwest. I have never ran into an issue with a course not having enough carts, but you are always bringing it up.
Courses have a finite number of carts. And if any are broken down for whatever reason, that cuts into it. It doesn't happen often, but yeah, courses run out of carts and people have to wait for them to come in. Happened to our course a few weekends ago when we had about 260 players, most of whom were foursomes one right after the other.

Wouldn't the extra person just go out as a single in their own cart anyway? Or do a lot of courses not allow singles on busy days? I've never understood all the ins and outs of tee times. If I want to golf at either of my two closest courses, I just show up, pay and wait my turn at the 1st tee. I've never been placed with anyone.
During busy times, you're going to be hard pressed to go out as a single when there are foursomes all around you. That's costing the course three tee times. If there are open spots, sure, but singles, and especially walk ups get paired up when the tee sheet is full. And going back to the cart thing, a bunch of singles (either singles or threesomes who take two carts and only have three riders), take up the available carts. If it's packed, that's a bad thing for people who haven't shown up for their later tee times yet.

144 players equals 36 four balls at 10 min per tee time that is 6 per hour and more than enough carts if pace of play is 4.4 hours.
And so what if people are complaining. Life ain't fair sometimes. I've let 5 smokes go and I've said no to others on the same day. I've played as 5 and been denied as 5. It is what it is. If the group can keep up then have at it.

144 players equals 36 four balls at 10 min per tee time that is 6 per hour and more than enough carts if pace of play is 4.4 hours.
And so what if people are complaining. Life ain't fair sometimes. I've let 5 smokes go and I've said no to others on the same day. I've played as 5 and been denied as 5. It is what it is. If the group can keep up then have at it.

Tee times ten minutes apart would be freaking awesome. Not many courses do that though.

"And so what if people are complaining"? Are you serious there?

Tee times ten minutes apart would be freaking awesome. Not many courses do that though.

"And so what if people are complaining"? Are you serious there?
I know you don't venture out of KC that often but 10 minute times is pretty common but even at 8 minutes there are enough carts.

and yes I'm serious about complaining. It's a choice of the shop to make and not the rule. Special occasion arise and people need to understand that.

No one should get special privileges, that's entitlement that gives golf a bad name. Sorry Freddie, I hate seeing fivesomes, I won't play in fivesomes, and I don't think anyone should be allowed unless everyone is allowed.

I understand what your saying but if its a private course who ever says it has to be a democracy or fair? A public city, county or township muni where "your" or "my" tax dollars besides the greens fees are part of the economics of the courses existance is one thing and we can argue it should then be the same for all in that case. I wouldnt disagree with that and would side with you there. And I'm not sure if we are talking private vs muni. But for private, they can and should be able to do what they want. Things arent always fair and unfortunately thats just the way it goes for us sometimes.

Back