I understand what your saying but if its a private course who ever says it has to be a democracy or fair? A public city, county or township muni where "your" or "my" tax dollars besides the greens fees are part of the economics of the courses existance is one thing and we can argue it should then be the same for all in that case. I wouldnt disagree with that and would side with you there. And I'm not sure if we are talking private vs muni. But for private, they can and should be able to do what they want. Things arent always fair and unfortunately thats just the way it goes for us sometimes.

If it's a private course, they can (and definitely should be able to) make whatever rule they want. People pay up knowing the rules. They don't want me there anyway, most likely.

Play as many as you want! Golf is supposed to be fun! I myself think they should outlaw speed golfers!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

5somes are the plague of golf.

I hate slow play, and personally prefer to play in 3 somes, but an old man once told me, 5 somes do not make a round slow, 5 slow golfers make a round slow.
I have played behind some 3 somes that were 100 times slower than a lot of 5 somes.

But I do understand where you are coming from.

I dont think 5somes should be allowed on the golf course. The game is slow enough as it is.

Done it twice this year, one course advised us that if were to be slow that they would have to split us up into three and two. We kept pace but I am a high handicapper and two of the guys in this particular group made me look like a pro.

The other course was a private country club, we let a threesome play through and kept a reasonable pace.

A lot of it depends on how "educated" the players are at ready golf and keeping things moving. Heck, with the 3 others I usually play with, our rounds almost always take over 5 hours. Doesn't help they all are always 100+, but they all also have no clue how to move at a steady pace, no matter how hard I try to move them along.

I don't know how you do it....I'd make them play a scramble or something haha!

I don't know how you do it....I'd make them play a scramble or something haha!

That's why I can't wait for October, even though the season will be almost over. Then I don't have to feel bad about trying to use those passes my dad bought.

Well people can b*tch and complain all they want about what they think should happen or should not happen, but until you step out onto the limb and try to do something about it that is all it is. If a course lets 5 people play in a group and you dont like it dont play there anymore, problem solved.

Well people can b*tch and complain all they want about what they think should happen or should not happen, but until you step out onto the limb and try to do something about it that is all it is. If a course lets 5 people play in a group and you dont like it dont play there anymore, problem solved.

That's fine, and completely true. But go back and look at the posts. A lot more people don't like them than do.

Do complain about it. Our course stopped allowing fivesomes last summer because enough people complained.

Could you not have played as a 3 and 2 :confused2:

At our old course we had "special privileges" and did a 5some regularly. We all play fast are rarely had held anyone up. The club pro occasionally joined our group as the fifth. The pro told us they'd had some complaints but his response was "they're good golfers and no one plays faster." Usually ended the complaints. My new home course will not allow them. It was only an issue once. We were planning a surprise party for my dad's 60th. An extra brother in law showed up for the round. My dad, decided to bow out once we had five and they wouldn't allow a 5some. I think some common sense needs to be used when dealing with 5somes.

I disagree with the vast majority here apparently. I play in a 5-some almost every Fri mid afternoon, and if we're not waiting on anyone, we play the course in 4hr 15 min top. Only time we've ever gone over that is when waiting on 3s or 4s in front of us.

And I walk. (other 4 ride).

To blanket every 5 with an automatic snail pace is ridiculous. I also know of several members at my home course that play as 5s every week and play faster than most 4s.

+1 doesn't bother me a bit but then for me it just boils down to playing on courses that are rarely ever crowded.

That's a very touchy subject at most golf courses. I see both sides of the coin, and it was always a fight with the members of the course I worked at. We didn't allow anything more than 4 to a group. BUT....We had one group of guys (members) who always played a 5 and gambled at the same time. They didn't do this all the time, but I'd say every other weekend they would. The thing was, they were all in there own cart, and they played quick. Most of the time they were waiting for the foursome in front of them, and very rarely did they take over 2hr 15 minutes a side. With that said I had a different group of 5 that were VERY slow...they were always looking for there ball and backing everyone up. They would complain if anyone in the shop said anything to them since "the other group always gets to".
Personally, as long as your staying on pace and not holding anyone up, and or letting two or threesome groups play through, then you have my blessing. BUT if you start backing up everyone, taking to long or are not on pace...I WILL ask you to split it up.

Easier to just allow it or not. That prevents the "Why do they get to arguments" and having them do it regardless of what you tell them. It's bad enough having to deal with the asses who do it even though they are told that it isn't allowed.

On a different vein, we stopped having a walking rate this year. You can still walk, but you are paying for a cart. DId this because so many people were getting a cart for one person, the other person walked, and by the second hole we had two riders.

Had some complaints at first, but when you explain why, at least 95% of tghe people say they understood. Most would say, "If I am paying for it, I'm taking a cart then!" The one out of 20 who copped a b*tch about it, dealt with it the first time, and I don't know if they ever came back. No big deal, play is up a ton over the previous five or six years.

I live on a golf course and overlook two holes, a par 5 and a par 4. I see fivesomes playing quite often, even on Saturday mornings, and they manage to keep up with the pace. Of course, this is a private course, the players here generally like to move things along, and the Saturday morning players are decent players usually. I agree that it could be much more problematic at certain courses, or with certain types of golfers. So I would understand a given course or club deciding that they will not be permitted.

I do believe, however, that the issue of whether fivesomes should be permitted as an abstract question is different than how the potential problem should be handled when one is at the course and there are friends involved. I don't see the need for confrontations or rudeness.

Seen it go both ways

Played in a fivesome once, all of us walking (and old), we played through a twosome (in a cart) at the turn (they offered as they knew they were holding us up).

Played behind a fivesome last week that added an hour to our round, (they were buddies of the ranger and were incredibly slow). We had complained to the ranger earlier in the round but they never sped up and the ranger avoided our group after we spoke to him about the pace. Finally lost it and called the clubhouse and begged them to do something as multiple groups were waiting at the tees behind them, they actually played the last five holes at pace.

Played in a sixsome once and was close to quitting golf for life, course was empty but that was the most agony I have ever experienced on a course.

Personally believe fivesomes should not be allowed on a course, just too slow as a rule. Seen plenty of fivesomes that can really move along but how do you say no to the slow ones which are the majority.

I don't particularly like seeing 5somes on the course. I automatically expect them to slow down play. But truth is it depends on who is in that 5some. I've been stuck behind twosomes that might as well be 5somes. I rarely see rangers on the courses I play anymore and I think you need them to push slow players to help avoid confrontations between groups.

Played 5 for the first time the other day. Started as 3 but as we made the turn a 2some was waiting on ten. There was a twosome so slow in front we played as five and were waiting entire back nine in them

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

I dont understand why they just wouldnt go 4,4,4, and 3.

Because they want to play together. Because each group has cash games going. Numerous reasons.

Back