Playing partners/ Attitudes???

I'm really really curious as to how fast JB actually plays. I consider myself a quick player but it sounds to me like he runs around the green looking at his putts and then goes lol

JB, I checked after you made the announcement. It is 5 hours from me. Still thinking about it though..

Its a lot longer than 5 hours from us and we are going...hehe

I'm really really curious as to how fast JB actually plays. I consider myself a quick player but it sounds to me like he runs around the green looking at his putts and then goes lol

Fast. I dont run around the greens, because I dont look at putts too often from multiple angles. I figure all of that out on the way to my ball. I take no practice swings and when its my turn to swing, I am ready and hit. I play 18 holes by myself in about an hour and in my regular twosome in 1:45. Its not fast or running for us, just our pace that we play.

I play with people that have bad attitudes all the time. One guy in particular, just always pissed off it drives me nuts.

I usually have a good attitude, some days I am in a deep bad funk and get upset sometimes more so then others but I try not to vocalise it.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I just tune them out. Only make comment for their good shots, never point out bad ones...You will just about run into all kinds of people. Just like game of golf. Some days you play well, some days you won't.

Don't let those negative people bother you. Use that to make yourself a better player.

Awe man, if you told me it was a cast 4 iron, I was there with you till the end. :D

I never knew if I hit a good shot until I looked up with cast clubs (DCI's). Just give me a 30 year old set of Staffs or Hogans (with good shafts) and I'll be happy. :D

I don't care if someone has a bad attitude, I just don't understand it. It's not worth it to get so mad over a game. To me at least.

He's pretty fast. And playing with him you naturally speed up too. I just started to slow down a little since playing with him in Florida in 2010.

I have a guy in my normal group that is like this, just a bad attitude while he is doing bad and I try to tune it out but I end up getting that negative energy and cant seem to shake it. As a result I end up blowing up on the back or whatever and its just a frustrating day. But today I am sure the guys I was playing with werent too happy with me. There is no excuse and I should know better to keep my temper in line but it was just a frustrating day. Shot 37 on the front and then on 13 the cup wasnt put in right and I had a birdie putt that was dead center pop out of the hole. Just frustrating and it just went downhill from there including 3 double bogeys on the last 5 holes...Lesson learned. Don't be that guy...

It sounds to me like I could handle it. I enjoy a fast round of golf. I just can't stand slow golfers who take 3 practice swings and thik they're about to hit into the 18th hole at Augusta so thru take their sweet time

Played with two guys who got really mad at each other and wouldn't even talk to each other for half the round. The silence between friends really effected my game since they invited me to play with them and I didn't really know either of them well.

How many of you have to play with people that are either slow as hell or have terrible attitudes? As of late, it seems I have been "lucky" enough to been matched with this type of player. For the last 6 or 7 holes of our club championship yesterday, I heard more of "this game sucks", we may as well go back in and drink", we all suck", and on and on.. It got so bad I was a heartbeat from telling them to go.....

I have learned to tune (or try to) this stuff out but it does make for a long day.. How many other of you folks deal with this?

I used to be one of these people.. It's pretty shameful, but it is what it is.. I got my index pretty low out of college and would get really frustrated when I returned to the game and found myself in the mid-80s and pushing my index to about 8 for a while... Getting serious about the game this year meant getting serious about the experience.. I have an index, and I consider it to be a really good one, but my goal on the course is the experience with people. I decided that it's an expensive game and I should start getting a lot more joy out of it or find another hobby that provides that for me.

I can't really speak for playing with randoms, but being selective about the people I play with has really added a lot of joy to my experience on the course. I feed off them, and they feed off me, and regardless of the scorecard, and the occasional 5 second rage on bad shots, we all leave feeling good about the day. I hope you're able to find the same.

(And I second JBs comments about playing with THPers... I've yet to have a bad experience with a THPer, you simply can't go wrong there!)

With having been in retail mgmt for over 20 years, attitude is always just a given and glad I'm out of that now. It has helped with being able to just brush a lot of it off on the course. Although I do play with a buddy that was an auditor for the company and his fuse is actually inverted, not short. I have known him for 13 years, but it still gets on my nerves at times and embarassing if we are paired up with anyone else. I just play my game and let it go unless he gets out of hand and it is starting to affect the other players, then I step in and simply ask him to STFU...quietly of course.

I have one playing partner that I love to death but has some annoying habits:

1) For whatever reason he can never follow his ball. I'm talking he'll stripe one right down the middle of the fairway and seriously ask where his ball went. Or he'll hit when we aren't watching and ask where his ball went. I'll ask "well which direction do you hit it?, "I don't know" lol

2) He takes minimum 3 of the biggest practice swings you've ever seen, on every stroke.

3) He has no idea of playing pace. If he has a bad shot he'll sulk for 10s and then take a few more practice swing, though the guys behind us are our tail.

4) He refuses to give up looking for a stray ball. I look for maybe a minute but if it's in a heavily wooded patch I realize there is little to no chance of finding it so I drop and continue. He'll look for what seems like 10 mins...again even if people are behind us.

Here's the worst

5) He celebrates like he just won the Master's after every good shot (He's a bogy golfer). G-forbid he makes a birdie, he'll drop his putter, throw his hands up, and yell some celebatory statement. The only thing that comes to mind is, "bro, act like you've done it before"

6) I'm probably 5-10 strokes better than him yet his creative score keeping allows his scorecard to look quite similar to mine. He always asks how I'm doing at the turn and after 18 and always takes great pride in beating me. Saturday he shot an 88 and I shot a 90. He had such a smug grin though I resisted the urge to say "you DO realize you beat me by 2 strokes though I chunked 4 chips and oh yeah...I am literally 2 days into a completely new swing"

I got a good lashing from my instructor once for having pity parties. He made me see how my negative attitude was hurting my game. I think between him and reading some of the Rotella books I am way more positive than before. Now I just watch others be negative and it makes me realize how I used to be and how it makes those around you feel. Golf should be enjoyable but we can make it really miserable if we try to be perfectionist.

I have a tendency to get down on myself and whine a little and I hate it. When I was in the middle of my iron fiasco I was bitching and moaning the whole time and felt terrible for bhilln. Poor guy probably never wants to play with me again. Normally I try to keep a pretty positive outlook though.

I found myself getting down on myself a little bit this past Saturday golfing with tnolan. Everything that could go wrong went wrong on the front 9 and I was uncharacteristically doing a little b*tching about it. Beginning of hole 11 I actually apologized to him about it because I never play that upset. After that, I just relaxed and settled down, and played the best golf I'd played all day.

I think that there is a line between being critcal on yourself and taking it out on yourself and when you get to that point where your game is falling apart a little bit over a few holes or round and your really moaning about it, it effects the people that you play with, and makes the experience bad for them. You just have to be able to draw that line of being critical and going crazy and recognize when you cross it. Saturday I crossed it a bit, recognized it, toned it down, and actually played better because of it.

I will admit that I used to be one of those guys who would get upset and then I'd stop talking to everybody in the group and just appear to be a huge a-hole even though I was just mad at myself. As I've matured, I've learned that life is just too short to spend it being upset, especially when you are suppose to be doing something you enjoy. After I started making jokes after bad shots, I started to play a lot better golf. Generally if the guys I'm playing with or myself are having a bad day playing, we usually spend most of the round laughing.

I have pretty lucky in that I haven't played with anybody who has behaved like I've read in this thread. In high school there was a guy who used to throw his clubs, but I never picked up his bad habit.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be SUPER, SUPER competitive. I hated losing at tiddly winks! But, after my big "C", nothing bothers me anymore. I just enjoy being out and playing with my buds.

It's very rare I get paired with negative people. Maybe once a year and I try to kill them with kindness or make them laugh. I've gotten pissed once or twice but like I said its rare.

I'm like JRod as well, had a tendency to get down on myself when things weren't going my way and would just stop talking and try and work it out somehow on my own. Now, married, a career and 3 kiddos later, I'm just happy to be outside and on the course. Just really a change of attitude for the best. One of my best friends plays golf super fast and I love playing with him when he's in town. I use to think I was a pretty quick player till I met him. He takes no practice swings, gets up on the box, couple of waggles and bang! I work to keep up with him but it's great for my game! 1 hour round of golf.......that is quick JB!

I used to get that way when I would play poorly. I have high expectations for myself and can get really pissed when I don't live up to them. I have gotten much better recently, I will still get aggravated when I hit a really poor shot, but usually shake it off pretty quickly these days. I certainly and am enjoying myself more these days.

Generally, I rarely play with those with bad attitudes. I know that I used to smack a club against the ground and get a little upset. What can i do about a bad shot, make a better one. I feel as though as soon as your not having fun out there, then things really can get worse. Being able to laugh about a poor shot is 'almost' as fun as making a good one. I do not mind when people joke around on the course. It lightens the mood and since the last time I checked, non of my partners were close to being great amatuers.
Slow play can bother me. I like to get into a good rythem. Yet, the flip side is turning your game around to match the pace of play. This is something that a good group helps with by conversing in light hearted ways. If your backed up straight, I beleive why not try to get to know a littel about your partners and have some good talks. I play a lot with people I just meet so having a good attitude is always a plus. Albeit I do get down a bit, only till the next shot. I try to sprinkle some humor into the mix if that happens.

i try to ignore negative attitudes on the course. although i break myself on very rare occasions. as for slow play not in my group. i walk ahead even if they are playing to slow for my liking. people can take subtle hints and pick up their pace.

i just can't stand those playing partners that has tantrums as if they're single digit handicaps, i mean they hit slices, clearly 20+ handicaps but chucking they're clubs as if the clubs were the problem, bad attitude.

I have a different problem with a playing partner. I play with a co -worker that has to "ball hawk" every course.If we are waiting on the group in front ,he disappears into the woods and comes out with pockets fulll of balls. If we are alone and can make good pace ,he insists on looking for balls every time one of our shots goes near the woods. If mine goes into the woods, I take a guick scan if its possible with the terrain-no more than two minutes and then I take my medicine and hit again.This guy literally has 3-4 crates of found balls in his garage at any time.He just drives me and the other players in our group crazy with the ball hunting.We have just driven the carts away and left his a** in the woods at times.

Back