Playing partners/ Attitudes???

Whether I play well or play badly, the key word is play. It is a game, I'm out to enjoy the challenges, playing bad, find a way to play better. Playing good, don't get complacent, keep on concentrating on the next shot. I strive for the same demeanor regardless of how things are going. Ball in a divot today, third shot to #10, 92 yards, nope, no whining, just concentrate on hitting it down into the divot. I pulled the 60, hit my best shot of the day, made the 3 foot birdie putt. Then went on to shoot even on the back. It was a conscience decision to NOT complain or whine about the ball in the divot and that led to the birdie.

JB, I checked after you made the announcement. It is 5 hours from me. Still thinking about it though..

I'm driving that far to the North Carolina event because of a scheduling conflict on the weekend of the Atlanta event which is only 2 hours away. Getting together with my THP friends is easily worth a 5 hour drive. Go for it fb.

I've been paired with a few slow players.. although I don't care for slow play I dislike "bad attitude" golfers more... unfortunetly a guy I play with alot now is one of them... after every bad shot he says he sould quit golf & how much he hates golf & why he wastes $$ golfing, ect... I try to not let it effect my game but it usaully does. Guess i need a new golf partner. :curse:

Bad attitudes never really bother me actually. I just laugh at them and call their bluff. "I should just quit this game" to which I'll reply "Who's stopping you?" I get really annoyed however with arrogant, elitist golfers. They act like I have no business being on a course because I sprayed a tee shot on a hole with a fairway 20 yards wide. I was once joined with a threesome at a local muni course and they wouldn't tee off untill I tucked my shirt in...like wth?

Attitudes are infectous. I play with my brothers about two or three times a year and they show up to the course about 5 mins before tee off smell of booze from the night before and have about another 7 on the course they are known to throw clubs beat in there bags and cuss up a storm they also provide me with a cheering section where they do something in my backswing and laugh and cheer when I hit a bad shot. It's not a fun 18 holes I only do it because it's one of the things my dad enjoys getting a round with his three boys. I know of one more round this year with them but have made it clear that I will not play with them anymore it destroys my game and enjoyment and come home miserable.

dont golf with too many slow people, but a few guys have serious attitude issues. Don't get me swong, I take the game serious and am as competitive as the next guy, but throwing hissy fits when something goes wrong just baffles me. To me, its just not worth getting worked up over.

You better be competitive since you have me on your team this weekend....everything is getting left out on the course :)

Dan

Bad attitudes never really bother me actually. I just laugh at them and call their bluff. "I should just quit this game" to which I'll reply "Who's stopping you?" I get really annoyed however with arrogant, elitist golfers. They act like I have no business being on a course because I sprayed a tee shot on a hole with a fairway 20 yards wide. I was once joined with a threesome at a local muni course and they wouldn't tee off untill I tucked my shirt in...like wth?

I never tuck my shirt in. And unless it was a course rule i would have just teed off and waited for them to follow.
They can sit there all day for all I care. Insisting someone else adhere to your clothing standards on the course is asinine.

I'm fortunate in that most of the regular gang I play with are very cool. We play pretty quickly, and seem to have a great time together. That is why I sometimes dread tournaments....you never know who you might draw in that group.

I am a pretty quick golfer, walking or riding. I often amaze the starter at a local course when I show up 2hrs before sundown and get 18 in with time to spare in a cart and shoot high 70's/low 80's. I play in a weekly skins/cash game at the same course and it takes around 5 to 5.5 hours to complete a round in foursomes. It kills me to play that slow and even in the heat I've started walking the course instead of riding in the cart to keep up some kind of rhythm. I've been told that some of the older gentlemen slow down on purpose to irritate the younger golfers who like to play quick. I got stuck with a group a few weeks ago with a really, really slow player and a guy who threw his sand wedge from a green side bunker over the green and onto the cart path about 30 yds on the other side of the green. He cussed after every missed putt and slammed clubs into the ground after errant shots. I normally take this in stride, but for some reason this guy got to me and my game with south. I have asked the Pro to not pair me with him anymore or I will take my business else where.

I never play with people who scream and throw fits. I want to enjoy myself on the course, so friendly competition and banter is totally fine, screaming and acting like a two year old is not. Over here they never pair you up with strangers unless you specifically ask them to, so no risk of being stuck with people you don't want to play with. That said I have met a lot of nice people on the course, it's usually pretty easy to quickly gauge how people are going to behave on the course and whether or not I want to be part of that.

I give a lot of credit to those of you who are able to just "shake it off". I have been working VERY hard on the mental part of my game. This has helped very much. I am also a VERY competitive person. I understand their actions to a point.

There is a separate issue I am starting to believe comes into play though. While most people I know respect me for my ability, some people really hate getting beat by a handicapped golfer. (I lost my left arm years ago) I hear the comments, and I see the pressure they put on themselves NOT to get beat by me. I often see their behavior change during a match. I try and make a little humor about it but with some, it is in vain..

There is a separate issue I am starting to believe comes into play though. While most people I know respect me for my ability, some people really hate getting beat by a handicapped golfer. (I lost my left arm years ago) I hear the comments, and I see the pressure they put on themselves NOT to get beat by me. I often see their behavior change during a match. I try and make a little humor about it but with some, it is in vain..

Funny you should mention that but I find some of the same. It's not like missing an arm but missing an eye is a handicap unto itself. I am always up front about it because I have a hard time with distance judgment and if I pull it into the trees I may need help being able to tell where it went in.
I am pretty self deprecating when it comes to one eyed jokes or even the "blind in one eye and can't see out of the other" thing when someone says it out loud. I have had people who thought they offended me in some way but I will usually come back with "yup, that's me".
As for the trying to beat you thing I never really thought about it but it explains some "gamesmanship" I have had to deal with this summer. Usually it just fires up my competitive side and I will do my best to beat the guy.

Back