Rapsodo MLM2PRO Personal Launch Monitor

May sound stupid but I’ve kept mine in the case and inside the original box when not using it. I’m over paranoid like that but seems as if I might need to continue this.
The box (and the shipping box as well) did not protect my original one. But, it was quite a jolt (judging by the dents). Anyway I am going to simply add a layer of foam between the top and the device - when/if I take it anywhere. For now it's got a home in the garage sim.

I'm not an engineer by training, but I have been working with them for 40 years so I am sort of the Holiday Inn Engineer (hahahahahah).

I think a simple fix is to recess the glass slightly, it's flush with housing and that is a recipe for disaster (as we have seen), or, use a stronger type of glass - I have to wonder what a ball would do or an accidental tap with a club or just simply a subtle drop or knocking over the tripod - all things that in the golf environment would not be out of line.

I hope it gets resolved as an inline change for future buyers - as I am really sold on it after the session I noted above - the real world data was fresh in my head so I going on the sim/monitor replicating it pretty close was a genuine positive.

That's a valid point, and much the same thought I had when @JW Smoove's test unit's glass mysteriously self-destructed.

I wouldn't have expected @Johan185 to get his fixed or replaced for free, but, the veracity of his and JW Smoove's accounts aside: This is sports equipment that will be used in a potentially challenging environment, not a piece of Ming Dynasty porcelain. It's bound to be subjected to a degree of rough handling--dropped, knocked over, bounced around, struck by errant golf balls, etc., and, not only does it appear it might be a bit delicate, but, Rapsodo has no repair capability for this $700 product.

Even if Johan185 had said he'd accidentally struck the device with something, knocked it over, or whatever: I'd still find this unacceptable.

Since my recent experience I started to pay more attention to the actual unit when I practice. Versus looking at the data and swing video after my shots.

@Duffer Seamus

As you had speculated. When I am practicing indoors, which is basically 100% of the time now, the ball does bounce back towards the Launch monitor directly behind me.

The golf ball isn't really moving at a high speed, at least when compared to the speed it is traveling when hit towards the net in front. But, I can definitely see how a golf ball might have deflected and bounce right towards the launch monitor on the floor. This could easily explain my experience of damaging the unit while not being rough and keeping it in the case 24/7 when not in use.

The design virtually requires lining up the launch monitor, the golf ball and the ball flight of the golf shot for best data collection. This direct line-up almost guarantees that some errant shots will bounce back towards the launch monitor from time to time.

In my setup the ball appears to bounce straight back about 10 percent of the time.

I am now pondering how to collect the data and avoid any further damage to my unit.

Obviously, hitting a golf ball 60 to 120 mph (calculated ball speed) indoors carries some risk.

Now that I know the risk, and delicate design of the Rapsodo MLM2PRO, I think some type of protection is warranted. I am now placing a soft blanket apron around the base of the MLM2PRO for deflection and protection of the unit. So far, while the actual cameras and radar screens are unprotected, this approach has resulted in deflections of the errant shot away from the unit.

Hopefully my experience will help others avoid my mistakes.

Attachments

• 161742.mp4
    817.9 KB
I “catch”/deflect the ball after it comes off the net. Before i watch the video. I’ve not had any issues but as noted could easily see it happening.

@JW Smoove

I do try to catch those rascals, but at 60 my reflexes limit my response times. 😆

@JW Smoove

I do try to catch those rascals, but at 60 my reflexes limit my response times. 😆
HA! I am 63 with a bum knee - I know exactly what you mean. I am using mine in the garage. I have a carpet remnant I got from a local store that dampens the return a lot maybe that's why I am able to catch them I can say - I also miss one or two -but those are more often than not coming straight back - they are going at an angle wide of the Rapsodo mark (so to speak).

On a positive note.

Who has enjoyed playing Simulator Augusta National on their Rapsodo MLM 2 Pro?

I shot a 84 on the back Nine.

As noted elsewhere, The Out of Bound Stakes are too close to the playing area. And the 12th hole is brutal, even with zero wind and soft greens. LOL

On a positive note.

Who has enjoyed playing Simulator Augusta National on their Rapsodo MLM 2 Pro?

I shot a 84 on the back Nine.

As noted elsewhere, The Out of Bound Stakes are too close to the playing area. And the 12th hole is brutal, even with zero wind and soft greens. LOL
Oh snap. I’ll need to do that next week!’

@Duffer Seamus
But, I can definitely see how a golf ball might have deflected and bounce right towards the launch monitor on the floor. This could easily explain my experience of damaging the unit while not being rough and keeping it in the case 24/7 when not in use.
That's certainly plausible, but, one would think you'd have noticed something like that right off when taking it out of the case before use or putting it back when done.

Now that I know the risk, and delicate design of the Rapsodo MLM2PRO, I think some type of protection is warranted.
When I was still considering an R10 I was looking at after-market alignment stands and there are some available with an integral Plexiglas screen that slots into the front of the stand, in front of the R10. Perhaps somebody will come up with a like product for the MLM2Pro?

I responded to that point here.
So the post after I replied.
Eh?
confused.gif

No, the post after @The Golfing Engineer replied to my prior comments. Closest posts by you were a day before and 3½ hours later. (The "here" is a hyperlink. Perhaps that escaped your attention and I should have written it "--> here <--", for clarity?)

Last edited:
That's certainly plausible, but, one would think you'd have noticed something like that right off when taking it out of the case before use or putting it back when done.

When I was still considering an R10 I was looking at after-market alignment stands and there are some available with an integral Plexiglas screen that slots into the front of the stand, in front of the R10. Perhaps somebody will come up with a like product for the MLM2Pro?

Eh?
confused.gif

No, the post after @The Golfing Engineer replied to my prior comments. Closest posts by you were a day before and 3½ hours later. (The "here" is a hyperlink. Perhaps that escaped your attention and I should have written it "--> here <--", for clarity?)

Indeed, your description is what happened.

I used the unit one day. Everything was perfect at the start.

After 1.5 hours of practice and simulator golf late at night, I shut everything down. I was tired and not paying much attention when I put the device away. I did not see any damage when I stored the MLM away.

Then the next day when I went to setup another session I detected the damaged screen. To say that I was a little upset is an understatement.

I was shock to find the unit damaged. And I started looking for potential causes.

It was perfect, based on my recollection, the night before. What had happened?

I honestly can't say.

A plexiglass may have prevented my situation.

Now we know to be careful with this delicate device.

Que Sera Sara.

Cheers.

The morning after.

Literally.

✌️ ☮️

Finishing up at the gym and headed to the range to enjoy this lower 60s weather and do some work w/ the Rapsodo.

Finishing up at the gym and headed to the range to enjoy this lower 60s weather and do some work w/ the Rapsodo.
Range session complete. Love this thing. It only missed a couple of swings so I think it was the charge issue so for those using it, make sure you have a good charge on the unit to capture as much data as you can. I cannot express how happy it makes me to hear my numbers in my AirPods and see auto replay of my swing and the tracker! IMG_8179.png

Range session complete. Love this thing. It only missed a couple of swings so I think it was the charge issue so for those using it, make sure you have a good charge on the unit to capture as much data as you can. I cannot express how happy it makes me to hear my numbers in my AirPods and see auto replay of my swing and the tracker! View attachment 9205222

Nice job.

20230916_125515.jpg

This one's for @Kodi'aK and the other Left dot fans.

Had an email that came through over the weekend about getting a personal launch monitor for the winter. Can't remember who the sender was, but this unit was the first unit mentioned in the email. As we enter the last part of the required testing period, of the testers that were selected, who would buy this unit outright if we had to send it back? I will be the first to say, I'd be going the following week or as soon as I sent back, I would order online. Done and Done.

Numbers are spot on with this thing! 75-80% swings while doing drills.

Finally got to use the unit with the young lady I am coaching and she loved it. I did as well from the side of teaching. Was really cool for her to hear the numbers and see the flight path and video of the swing. Keep in mind this girl is 11 and just starting but she really really liked the opportunity that this unit presented for her to learn.
IMG_8204.png

Back