Recap - The Morgan Cup [Spoilers]

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations to Team Paradise in winning the Morgan Cup.

What a weekend! If you missed any of the action, you can find tons of video here.

What started as a brief idea between GG and myself was turned into reality thanks to two great equipment companies and 16 phenomenal participants. Over the next week, you are going to get to see a ton of great stuff from the event such as more video, still pictures and golfers cutting promos. This thread is about something a little different though, and we hope you guys enjoy the feedback you get here. We are putting this thread up for the participants and everybody else that was involved to share their thoughts, feedback and input on what they experienced over the last 6 months and more specifically over the last 3 days.

I will let the guys share most of their feelings and keep mine to a minimum as I think mine will be fairly well documented in some videos that will be up this week.

The participants that made their way to the Reunion Resort made the Morgan Cup what it was this weekend and what it will be remembered as. An event unlike any other and a weekend that I know I will never forget. It was a combination of the tour experience, the equipment, the competition and the special bond that each person in attendance will share forever, that made this truly exceptional. The 16 men that competed and those around that made this all possible are part of a special fraternity that I know personally, I will never forget.

Each personality that was part of this, added to the uniqueness of the Morgan Cup and helped transform our "vision" from idea to reality right before our eyes. This was something magical to witness and something myself and GolferGal will never forget.

Thank you all for the wonderful weekend and we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Congrats Team Paradise! Well done on both teams

Congrats to paradise and everyone involved

JB,

You'll have to help pick out the avatar for OG when you get well rested.

I kind of got the feeling JB wanted this thread for the participants to post their thoughts

Congrats Team Paradise. Thank you GG and all the volunteers who helped with the event. The videos really just pushed it over the top

Congrats Team Paradise!! This was awesome to watch and to follow all weekend.

• Admin
I kind of got the feeling JB wanted this thread for the participants to post their thoughts

That is correct. We dont mind banter of course, but hopefully its not 3 pages deep before any Morgan Cup members have a chance to post their thoughts.

JB,

You'll have to help pick out the avatar for OG when you get well rested.

Remember -- It is only for one week guys! Go for it.

Great job JB and I am proud of P4B for fighting hard. Great show guys!

Great event THP! Thanks to the sponsors and the participants for making this enjoyable for us watching at home.

Congratz!

I'm going to post more in a couple of days when I get home and begin to collect my thoughts better.

What an amazing experience this whole process was!!! Definitely an honor to be one of the 16 that competed over the past two days. Congratulations to Team Paradise for winning the Morgan Cup. It was well earned, and I commend all the golfers for what I thought was a very high level of play under heat and humidity, some rain, and a whole lot of nerves. I know we all spoke about the support of the forum as a whole, which we all really appreciated.

My feet are exhausted, my arms are limp, and I may not swing another club for a couple of weeks, but there is no question that this was the most unique and special golf event I have or ever probably will be a part of. To that end, I would like to thank TaylorMade Golf, Callaway Golf, and Reunion Resort for sponsoring the golfers and hosting the event respectively, which I will expand on at a later date.

A huge thank you to JB and GG for envisioning something of this magnitude and having the faith and drive to make this experience possible. You both continue to amaze me and I am very honored to be a part of your THP Family and to consider you both great friends.

Finally, to the 15 other players, I very much enjoyed expanding on our existing friendships and meeting the couple of you that I had not met previously. This was an exceptional group of guys, which I think is apparent to anyone who watches the videos. As you all disperse to the various corners of North America in the coming days, please travel safe, and I look forward to sharing the thoughts, memories, and stories of this weekend with you for a long time to come.

Great event. Great job everyone. Great vision by JB and GG. Congratulations to Team Paradise. :)

I'll be second, as I suspect most of the others are doing a little celebrating, while after today's matches, it was time for me to start winding down. There have been many comments through the months in regards to the vision of JB and GG when it comes to The Morgan Cup. Over five months ago when I was lucky enough to qualify as a participant, I was excited about having the chance to to get together with people I had come to know online and play in a golf tournament and meet them in person. I was of course excited to be sponsored by a great company like TMaG, but at that point it was somewhat of an abstract concept and added bonus.

As time passed, the excitement of course grew as the participants got to know each other better, especially in my case and I would assume Ary's, JRod's, and DD67's, as I/we were the participants who had never attended an outing. But something else also happened for me when our Tour Rep would contact us, asking us what we specifically wanted for equipment. First the putter, which came custom built and personlized. Then the woods built to our specifications. Then the wedges. In between this were the requests for clothing sizes, ball preferences (down to what numbers we wanted on the balls). It was almost surreal when a box would arrive with exactly what you wanted. Strange as it may sound to some, for me, the Staff bag was the topper.

As TMC grew nigh, the excitement among the participants became palpable. Lots of contact regarding plans for lodging, dining, practice rounds, etc. To be honest, I kind of lost control of my life in the anticipatory excitement. lol. I could barely work for weeks. Thank God for my wife who has been carrying me like young Marc Gradillas carried me through a few holes in the middle of the first scramble round.

It was such a relief when the day of departure finally arrived. I was one of the first to arrive in FL, and at that point the excitement shifted back to the people. Got to play a fun practice round the first day with biggsy and cg13, my first experience with the FL heat and FL golf in many years. And I played really well. That evening other participants poured in. We had a great dinner with JB, GG, and more than half the participants. You could hear the excitement in the frantic conversations at dinner. Personal info shared, people talking at the same time, old guys dining and dashing. It was awesome.

The next day everyone got to town, practice rounds were played, and the big cookout, which CG13 salvaged by turning into a cookin due to the deluge. Lots of speculation, and some nervousness, during that little gathering about what to expect on media day. Starting the next morning, for me at least, the focus shifted from people back to the event itself.

I'll admit to some trepidation regarding media day. All unfounded. This was such a cool thing it's a little hard to describe. It was so well run, we were made so at ease, that six hours on the range on what was probably the hottest of my days here went by fairly quickly. The scope of what was going on also became obvious. Cables run, cameras set up, volunteers helping, GG running it all like the pro she is, Ben Kember rotating from the range to the video equipment, participants sidling up to the camera for both fun and serious comments. It was fantastic. One thing that was probably not apparent was the camaraderie and little practice competitions that went on down on the range. Closest to the pin contests, driving contests, guys sharing their thoughts on their clubs, guys explaining the shots they were trying to hit, etc. It was by far the most fun I have ever, ever had on a driving range. In fact, I'm convinced I played well in the matches because of the number of little 60-120 yard shots I hit while messing around with One-T on one side of me, and Coolbreeze on the other. It was just so cool. We shot video promos for all our equipment. While this could have easily been grueling and maybe even terrifying, we were gving some basic guideance by TM and Cally reps, then were basically allowed to be ourselves. I really hope the sponsors are pleased with what we did, because I think everybody did a great job. It was apparent the guys were thrilled to give something back to their sponsors.

The venue itself suited the competition I think. The large range allowed plenty of room for us to spread out on media day, yet there was room for Resort guests at the same time. The golf courses were not overly difficult, yet challenging enough while offering quite a few risk/reward scenarios to really make for some fun and exciting match play golf. The matches were just so much fun. It's hard to describe.

I'll back out now, because this is tremendously long already. I still have a million impressions I want to share about my teammates, all 15 of them if you know what I mean, and the matches themselves. I'll share them going forward. Pardon me if I did too much, or tried to do too much, in this first post.

Thank you so much to JB, GG, TMag, Callaway, and Reunion resort for a chance of lifetime. Aside from some family stuff, it was the coolest thing I've ever been a part of. And I've been around the old block a time or two.

Thanks,
Kevin Dunn

Last edited:
Congratulations Team Paradise! What an incredible event put together by TaylorMade, Callaway, and THP, among others. It sounds like a lot of things had to come together to make this work, and it was a success. Way to go all of those involved! You are all winners! :clapp:

I am about to pass out from exhaustion just an absolutely EPIC weekend, the most fun I've had on the golf course. The match play was the best way to host this event and it was a blast.

So many great memories, great action, awesome company, and fantastic sponsors. I cannot ever completely express how thankful I am to be a part of this and I hope we represented the forum and sponsors honorably.

It truly was the amateur event of a lifetime, thank you for everything you have done JB and GG.

You two have to be the most amazing people to have us all to your home, host us graciously, and provide these amazing venues for us, I consider myself very lucky to have been a part of this.

I will post my recaps later as im literally falling asleep typing this!

Congrats to team Paradise, and congrats to all who got to participate in this epic event! Looking forward to reading your thoughts. What a memorable event it must have been for all.

Congrats to Team Paradise and to all 16 lucky guys that got to participate in this amazing event! A big thank you to JB and GG for their vision and months of hard work and to SethO, Tadashi, CoolBreeze, The Aninilhator and all the others who volunteered their time to help out, and of course a HUGE thanks to Taylormade and Calloway for treating 16 regular guys like first class PGA tour pros! And finally to Reunion Resort for hosting this incredible event!

I'm sitting in the Orlando airport right now, still can't believe that this weekend had come to an end, it's an event I'll never forget. Much more after I get back home.

Sent from Tapatalk

Excellent stuff guys. I'm slowly trying to make my way through the videos, the chat and everything else I have to catch up on but this has been just amazing! Congrats to Team Paradise, and congratulations and thanks to everyone involved. Something really special just happened.

Great initial thoughts too, Kevin. Looking forward to reading more from everyone.

I have the long and lonely trek back to the land of corn. This was the coolest event I have ever had the fortune to be involved with, once I'm home I will give a detailed recap. I was able to get a refund for that 2nd plane ticket home, no longer a need to travel here with that damn monkey on my back again!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Team Paradise won the event, but how could we say that anyone lost in Fla. The Morgan Cup was awesome. Congrats to all of the participants, and to the volunteers for pulling it off.

Just woke up and Ill be leaving soon to the airport with OEM and Biggsy. Ill have a full recap after I get home and get my blackberry. What a week. I cant even tell you all how fun and.wonderful this experience was. The hardest part is saying our goodbyes until we all get together again.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

ad696d0e-3dbe-13ab.jpg

Good Morning Beautiful.

Congrats to Team Paradise and an even bigger congratulations to JB and GG for making their dream a reality. Hopefully this will be an ongoing event that grows along with THP itself!

Back