I have yet to have one blow up on me when installing and I've done 3+ sets of clubs this year.
I care more about removing...I installed a putter grip on one club and now want it on another without having to buy a new one. *smacks forehead*

I bought a black PVC tube to protect against anything blowing. $4 from home depot and it works like a charm.

Nice tip thanks.

Whenever it's time to regrip his clubs, my ex BIL usually just buys new clubs!

I care more about removing...I installed a putter grip on one club and now want it on another without having to buy a new one. *smacks forehead*

my trick for removing is to take something small that you can stick under the the bottom of the grip. I use one of the pins you would use for blowing up a basketball. It allows the air to escape so the grip doesn't blow up.

I have a small needle hooked to a small hose and bottle and inject solvent under the grip. Usually, I use a tee to cap the end hole, stick the needle into the underside of the grip, pump a little solvent in, and it will come right off. No risk of blow ups. It works 95% of the time. Next time I do it, I will video it. So much easier and safer IMO.

Last edited:
my trick for removing is to take something small that you can stick under the the bottom of the grip. I use one of the pins you would use for blowing up a basketball. It allows the air to escape so the grip doesn't blow up.

Nice tips thanks..

I have a small needle hooked to a small hose and bottle and inject solvent under the grip. Usually, I use a tee to cap the end hole, stick the needle into the underside of the grip, pump a little solvent in, and it will come right of. No risk of blow ups. It works 95% of the time. Next time I do it, I will video it. So much easier and safer IMO.

That would be much appreciated, thank you.

I really don't want to go out and buy another $20 SuperSlim since this older putter just sits in the other bag and the grip was used 2x...

Regripped the putter this afternoon, took all of 5 minutes from the grip being posted through the door to it being fitted and aligned. Used loads of solvent to make sure the tape and grip were well coated, the grip just slid on with ease

im going to do mine for the first time and was wondering i have the grips the 2" tape and also my wife bought me some white spirits for the solvent but when i smell the white spirits im a bit concerned that my grips will smell for weeks of the white spirits,or am i just been daft thanks

I use white spirits for my solvent so don't worry. The smell goes away after a day or so. I did all mine 2 weeks ago and there is no smell at all. After a round any smell will have disappeared

I use white spirits for my solvent so don't worry. The smell goes away after a day or so. I did all mine 2 weeks ago and there is no smell at all. After a round any smell will have disappeared

thanks very much MikeF for the advice

any recommendations on a cheap vise that will do the job? I'm thinking of getting one since I'm going to probably learn how to reshaft my clubs later.

You honestly don't need a vice to regrip. Just make sure you use plenty of solvent and also coat the inside of the grip with solvent. It should slide on easy.

any recommendations on a cheap vise that will do the job? I'm thinking of getting one since I'm going to probably learn how to reshaft my clubs later.

I used this, its just a black and decker table with a vice. Then I throw a rubber shaft clamp in the middle to protect the shaft.
2384.jpg

I have a golf headquarters really close to me and they only charge like 3-4 bucks per club to do it. I figure for that price why not let them do it.

because 10 clubs is $40 on top of the price of the grips. I can regrip all my clubs for that price

because 10 clubs is $40 on top of the price of the grips. I can regrip all my clubs for that price

and if you get lucky with timing you can get slightly blemished grips from golfmsith for under $2 each and have everything done for under $30. Personally it is more about being able to do things myself. I don't fancy myself an intellectual so working with my hands is a plus :act-up:

i guess if you were regripping all your clubs it would be worth it, i have never done my irons so its usually only 1 or 2 clubs.

At the end of the day it is down to the individual, I prefer to do my own, not only does it save me money but I also enjoy doing it.

At the end of the day it is down to the individual, I prefer to do my own, not only does it save me money but I also enjoy doing it.

I get what you are saying, i just dont want to mess it up. lol

to be honest you would find it very hard to mess up should you decide to try yourself. Try it on a spare club or an old one that you no longer use. You will be surprised at how easy it actually is

to be honest you would find it very hard to mess up should you decide to try yourself. Try it on a spare club or an old one that you no longer use. You will be surprised at how easy it actually is

i actually just bought a grip for my putter today, i will have to look into doing it myself. Im sure there is plenty of info out here on how to do it.

youtube has plenty of video tutorials to show you exactly what to do

I recently had my clubs regripped for less than $5 a club. I think it was worth the money to get someone else to do it if you can find a good deal. By the time you buy all of the tools, etc it probably ends up costing about the same.

I recently had my clubs regripped for less than $5 a club. I think it was worth the money to get someone else to do it if you can find a good deal. By the time you buy all of the tools, etc it probably ends up costing about the same.

That's true. But if you buy the tools, that's an expense you won't have the next time you go to do them. Only reason I don't do my own so far is I live in a condo and don't have a spot to do them. hope to change that though soon.

As has been said, the tools are a one time expense. To be honest you don't need a vice. Everyone should have a stanley knife or hook blade and some sort of solvent in the house anyway. All you would need then is the grips and tape

Back