SeeMore Putters MSeries Review - Forum Testing Review

Its Skygolf for my SGX GPS. I can tell you though golfshot for phones has a stats only app I believe that is GREAT as well and you can email the stats image to yourself.

Yeah I use Golfshot to keep my scores and stats. I like it because you keep your score for each round on it and it keeps your stats without having to do anything extra. Its actually Golfshot Lite because it doesn't include the gps function.

This was from the email it sends after you save a round, I cut the round out of it and pasted it in paint.

7_1_2012.jpg

As always, each new review post will include links to my previous one's in the "Reference Link" section, as it gets to be more and more crowded with additional review/thought posts those links will obviously go into spoiler tags.

REFERENCE LINKS:

• Initial Thoughts/Process: CLICK HERE
  • Pre SPi Putting Breakdown: CLICK HERE
  • SeeMore mSeries Fitting PART 1: CLICK HERE
  • SeeMore mSeries Fitting PART 2: CLICK HERE
  • Stance Evolution and Medicine Ball Aid: CLICK HERE
  • Round 1, 2, and 3 General Rundown: CLICK HERE
  • Round 4 Rundown and mFGP2 Thoughts: CLICK HERE

ROUND/PUTTING GREEN RUNDOWN
:

Date: 7/6/12
Played: 27 Holes
Weather: 101* and 5-10 MPH Winds

Round(s) Rundown:
7_6_12cimarron9.jpg

Total Putts: 17
GIR's: 7/9

7_6_12cimarron18.jpg

Total Putts: 34
GIR's: 15/18

I will only be documenting the putts for the complete 18, I did not record any locations or putts in my notes for my "warm up" nine.

Spoiler
Hole 1:
  • 5 inch par putt after chip
    • Made
Hole 2:
  • 27 foot downhill and slight right breaking birdie putt
    • Miss - good lag, did not play enough break at all...or apparently any at all
  • 2 foot straight par putt
    • Made
Hole 3:
  • 22 foot uphill right to left EAGLE putt
    • Miss - Great line actually, I just didn't get it up the hill AT ALL
  • 5 foot straight in birdie putt
    • Made
Hole 4:
  • 13 foot downhill right breaking birdie putt
    • Miss - Played 2 balls outside left of the cup and had perfect pace burning the edge
  • 8 in par putt
    • Made
Hole 5:
  • 18 foot right to left downhill sliding birdie putt
    • Made - This was hitting the cup or going 5 feet bast the hole, perfect line, dang it felt good too
Hole 6:
  • 6 foot slightly left breaking par putt after chip
    • Miss - This one stung, literally lipped out off the right edge, I gave the break too much credit
  • 5" bogey putt
    • Made
Hole 7:
  • 11 foot birdie putt, no real break
    • Miss - Just a total miss-putt, I caught it out on the toe somehow and of course it was well short
  • 2 foot par putt
    • Made
Hole 8:
  • 19 foot birdie putt with a double break
    • Miss - Played too much break right, PERFECT lag distance though
  • 3 foot par putt
    • Made
Hole 9:
  • 21 foot birdie putt with uphill and downhill left break
    • Miss - BURNT the edge! Best putt of the day distance and line wise
  • 1 inch par putt
    • Made
Hole 10:
  • 28 foot birdie putt slight right break and uphill
    • Miss - True lag putt here to get within 3 feet though as I was unsure about the break
  • 3 foot par putt
    • Made
Hole 11:
  • 3 foot birdie putt after chip
    • Made
Hole 12:
  • 9 foot birdie putt with left to right break
    • Missed about a cup right and long of the hole
  • 3 foot par putt
    • Made
Hole 13:
  • 12 foot par putt pretty much straight
    • Miss - Just didn't get it to the hole
  • 2 foot par putt
    • Made
Hole 14:
  • 14 foot birdie putt with a right to left break
    • Miss - Actually on line decently well but long and a cup outside the left edge
  • 3 foot parputt
    • Made
Hole 15:
  • 10 foot par putt straight at the hole
    • Miss - Jammed the snot out of the putter head to start the stroke, embarrassing really
  • 3 foot bogey putt
    • Made
Hole 16:
  • 29 foot birdie putt double breaker
    • Miss - Toed the putt again, pretty sure I was so worried about stubbing it this was the result
  • 9 foot par putt breaking right
    • Miss - Gave it a great run about 1/2 cup right of the hole though with a MUCH better stroke
  • 6 inch bogey putt
    • Made
Hole 17:
  • 27 foot birdie butt moving right to left
    • Miss - Missed it on the high side and past the hole, not a bad miss from that distance
  • 1 foot par putt
    • Made
Hole 18:
  • 12 foot birdie putt that was pretty straight forward
    • Miss - Gave it a scare, just a hair short
  • 8 inch par putt
    • Made

PERFORMANCE THOUGHTS:

First off, the full 18 was my best round EVER!!

I played an initial 9 to warm up as the range was closed and then just went right back to the first tee to play 18 and it was 27 holes of the best golf of my life.
  • 27 Holes:
    • 17/34 putts hitting 7/9 and 15/18 GIR's
But I had more putts on the full round than your last two, that isn't an improvement! Wrong. I will take 34 putts all day long and twice on Sunday when they come because of having 15 birdie (or better) attempts on the round. The funny thing about putting is its easy for alot of people to have a low putt number if they aren't hitting alot of greens. With my "old ways" I could have a round of 26, 27, 28 putts and be pumped but I'd only hit maybe 7 GIR's on the day. More GIR's equal more putts, they just do.

Now, does that mean I'm satisfied about my day with the mFGP2 and the SPi method? Heck no. Reflecting on it there are still some glaring issues for me:
  • Two three-jacks in 27 holes.
    • Better, but 3-putts can kill a round. I look at the one in my 18 and realize that meant me BREAKING par.
  • Stubbing the putter.
    • Only happened a couple times on the round today, better, but I have to work harder at it.
  • Toe putts.
    • I don't know where these came from, but I knew where I caught them the moment the putter face met the ball.
I'm a finicky OCD teacher (just look at my formatting in my write ups lol) and will always dwell on the needed areas of improvement more, but there really are some good things I'm starting to see:
  • Stance and posture.
    • Practice at home and repetitions are paying dividends here, and surprisingly quick for me. I'm not having to continually close my stance and am addressing the putt with the proper upright posture. Plus, it doesn't feel uncomfortable (Maybe still a tad but NOTHING like at first).
  • Line and trusting it.
    • Because my stance and posture combined with the RST take so many of the variables out of the equation (like my old open stance and cutting across the putt) the ball actually is tracking on the line I'm picking now. It may not be the right line every time, but it is improved.
  • Distance control.
    • I've struggled so far trusting the rock of my shoulders for distance and keep the hands and arms out of it. This round was MUCH better, I had some BIG lags and even dropped a bomb on one. Any improvement no matter how small is still improvement and practice with my medicine ball is really helping.
It was a good day on the course to say the least. As my distance control improves and acclimates I really think its only going to get better as well.

THE mFGP2:

So, I know some are likely thinking with this testing, "What about the actual putters?" and might be taken aback by how much has actually been about the SPi method instead. The obvious answer is the one that I really do believe in, for me to fully appreciate the putter and to talk about it completely the method is a HUGE part of that. Would I have seen putting improvements with the mFGP2 in my old stance and technique? Probably from the RST but I don't believe I would have gotten as much out of it. The SPi method and the SeeMore putter to me really do go hand in hand.

However, that is my personal opinion on it and I'm sure many out there believe in their technique and just want to hear more about the putter, so, I'll indulge everyone a bit.
  • Looks
    • I still love the finish today as much as the first day I held it in hand, the PVD on the mFGP2 is astounding in look while at the same time I have had ZERO glare issues on the course in the sunny Oklahoma days.
    • The overall shape of the mFGP2 is still my favorite putter headshape ever. I love the way that it naturally squares to the ball while at the same time not having the harsh lines that you can see on alot of square style shapes out there. It all just flows.
  • Alignment
    • RST works, we know this. It absolutely takes things out of the equation and streamlines.
    • The alignment lines on the putter are perfect. Yesterdays round simply reaffirmed it for me that the single topline combined with the dual flange sitelines make this a cinch to line up, it all comes down to whether or not you trust the line you picked and not the instrument in your hand.
  • "Feel"
    • I HATE talking about feel in putters, I do. To me feel is nothing more than vibrational feedback to the hands as well as the sound your ears get from the ball contacting the putter face. So, that's where my focus will be with feel.
    • The feedback to the hands so far for me has been very good. With the mFGP2 I know for a fact I can feel where on the face I make contact with the ball. I know when I toe it or heel it because of the vibrations I get back in my hands. I also know when I hit the sweetspot because it feels like NOTHING to my hands, I love that.
    • The sound is key for me. Its why I flow towards milled putters rather than inserts, the more sharp the "click" the more I like it. The mFGP2 it is not as crisp of an audible note as I would like, but more than enough for me to get what I want out of it. It is very good, just not the best I've heard.
All in all, the mFGP2 is just a super nice all around flatstick IMO. I have gotten several comments on it already because it is so unique and the fact is there is NO other mid-mallet putter out there like this one. I look forward to reflecting over this more and more down the road.

PARTING THOUGHTS:

In all honesty, just seeing improvements overall and taking note of how things are truly starting to become a natural habit for me is all a pretty big deal. Obviously there is still a long way to go and I'm in no way saying that anything is the best thing ever, but I will openly say that I am becoming a better putter. When some of us see improvements we automatically anoint it the best and that we will never change, its easy to do and golfer nature. I just shot the best round of my life and the mFGP2 and SPi method absolutely had a TON to do with it. However, I fully understand this is a game that comes in ebb's and flows. There will be more good days ahead and there will be some disheartening ones too. I know the mFGP2 is a good one and I know the SPi method has made me better, but I want to take it all the way before I personally declare anything one way or the other. I just want to do my due diligence.

GREAT ROUND! You matched a great ball striking day with a good putting day.. Always fun when you put both together! Remember to take the putter wide on the back swing - let it arc naturally and don't force it inside. Keep up the great work!

It's interesting that they are having stand more upright. Is that true for everyone or just for the particular stroke and/or putter you are using?

Hey Pmoa!

Like Jman said, standing taller allows you to rock your shoulders to control the length of your stroke. When you are more bent over from the hips the shoulders tend to get more rounded which restricts them from rocking naturally. Also, your eyes will be inside the ball (shooting for just inside the heel or on the heel of the putter) - From there, you can make a natural arc putting stroke.

Not secret, you missed it in the what did you buy thread lol

I got an m5x in order to get a limited edition SeeMore headcover I wanted to steal from Brady and that doesn't even fit it essentially.

Putter is a bonus. I have problems.

HAHA Yes, my SPi head cover won't fit the m5x...

Hey Pmoa!

Like Jman said, standing taller allows you to rock your shoulders to control the length of your stroke. When you are more bent over from the hips the shoulders tend to get more rounded which restricts them from rocking naturally. Also, your eyes will be inside the ball (shooting for just inside the heel or on the heel of the putter) - From there, you can make a natural arc putting stroke.

Brady is it possible to putt well with a non upright stance?

I'm not Brady, but I would think the answer is yes. Jack Nicklaus, anyone?

Yep. Actually, before I was selected for the mSeries testing, I was originally going to try and improve my putting by becoming Jack Nicklaus. I'm finding however, that the SeeMore method is
significantly easier to pull off. :alien:

Review date: 7/9/2012

Well, now that the 100 degree weather has finally broken, I decided to head to the practice green on my lunch break today.

I think more than anything, what I can say has improved for me so far is confidence. I've spent the last week in the air conditioning doing drills with the medicine ball to get my pendulum working, lining up the triangulator to get my eyes working, and getting a feel for the m5x to get my mind working. So far the benefit of even spending that time at home instead of on the course is that knowing that those three things can actually all work at the same time is a huge boost to my confidence level.

The green had 3 pin locations, so I decided to try something that sounded fun and would break up the repetition of putting over and over from the same location. I chipped 3 balls, one to each pin location, and then putted out for some up & down practice. After putting out, I moved my chipping spot until I had worked my way all the way around the green. Sometimes from the fringe, sometimes back in the rough ... I left myself some interesting putts.

I had the green to myself, so I had time to really get settled into my routine and take my time with each putt. Results were a bit of a rollercoaster. I felt great over every single putt, but not every one of them ended up great.

Three balls from nine different chipping locations = 27 attempts to get down in one

Of those 27 attempts:
Three were butted up against the fringe, at various distances. I totally botched all three of these and ended up with a three putt for each.

Six were within 5' of the pin. I made four of the six, lipped one out that had too much speed, and pushed one off line that never had a chance.

Eight were either pin high or slightly above the hole, with a mix of left to right breaks. Zero made. These plagued me in the speed control department. Over half were 'tentative' strokes. I was scared to blow them by the hole, and instead never gave them a chance to get there.

Nine were below the hole between seven and twelve feet. I made two of the shorter ones outright. Three had poor speed and didn't make it to the hole, leaving me with four feet or so. The other four were left close for tap-ins.

One glorious 30 footer. Uphill, three feet of break left to right. The ball left the face on line, curled towards the hole, and fell in with almost perfect speed. I almost did a Tiger fist pump.

Yep. Actually, before I was selected for the mSeries testing, I was originally going to try and improve my putting by becoming Jack Nicklaus. I'm finding however, that the SeeMore method is
significantly easier to pull off. :alien:

never heard of him? does he use a SeeMore?

I knew the answer to that question. I want to know if Jack is the exception to the rule. I am thinking of all the great putters of the last 30 years and the vast majority if not all were upright.

HAHA Yes, my SPi head cover won't fit the m5x...

As much as it hurt me (ha!) biting the bullet of getting an m5x in order to get the SPi cover that doesn't fit it was well worth it, it looks AWESOME in my collection!

I knew the answer to that question. I want to know if Jack is the exception to the rule. I am thinking of all the great putters of the last 30 years and the vast majority if not all were upright.

You know, the more I think about it, I kind of think so in the way that in a non upright putting stance I could go on major HOT and COLD streaks, but with the more upright stance I seem to be more constant...I know its early, but that's just what is rattling around in my head and seems to be kind of true historically when we look back, ya know?

So 2 career rounds and an even round of 72 being posted here in the last 2 days? Come on guys..........really?

I didn't need a lot of pushing in this thread to begin with but this is above and beyond. More like crazy!?

Exciting to stay the least!

Review date: 7/9/2012

Well, now that the 100 degree weather has finally broken, I decided to head to the practice green on my lunch break today.

I think more than anything, what I can say has improved for me so far is confidence. I've spent the last week in the air conditioning doing drills with the medicine ball to get my pendulum working, lining up the triangulator to get my eyes working, and getting a feel for the m5x to get my mind working. So far the benefit of even spending that time at home instead of on the course is that knowing that those three things can actually all work at the same time is a huge boost to my confidence level.

The green had 3 pin locations, so I decided to try something that sounded fun and would break up the repetition of putting over and over from the same location. I chipped 3 balls, one to each pin location, and then putted out for some up & down practice. After putting out, I moved my chipping spot until I had worked my way all the way around the green. Sometimes from the fringe, sometimes back in the rough ... I left myself some interesting putts.

I had the green to myself, so I had time to really get settled into my routine and take my time with each putt. Results were a bit of a rollercoaster. I felt great over every single putt, but not every one of them ended up great.

Three balls from nine different chipping locations = 27 attempts to get down in one

Of those 27 attempts:
Three were butted up against the fringe, at various distances. I totally botched all three of these and ended up with a three putt for each.

Six were within 5' of the pin. I made four of the six, lipped one out that had too much speed, and pushed one off line that never had a chance.

Eight were either pin high or slightly above the hole, with a mix of left to right breaks. Zero made. These plagued me in the speed control department. Over half were 'tentative' strokes. I was scared to blow them by the hole, and instead never gave them a chance to get there.

Nine were below the hole between seven and twelve feet. I made two of the shorter ones outright. Three had poor speed and didn't make it to the hole, leaving me with four feet or so. The other four were left close for tap-ins.

One glorious 30 footer. Uphill, three feet of break left to right. The ball left the face on line, curled towards the hole, and fell in with almost perfect speed. I almost did a Tiger fist pump.

So would you say the work you put in at home helped or hindered you? Were you able to bring any if the feelings from home to the course?

Certainly, anything is possible... Consistency is the key to the SPi method however and a hunch over/non upright posture makes the shoulders more rounded. From there, it is more difficult for the shoulders to rock back and through because they are restricted. Also, standing taller allows the eyes to be inside the ball which is another SPi trait to consistency. I can say from experience, before switching to a SeeMore about six years ago, I was very bent over from the hips with my eyes outside the ball.. I am a much better putter now with the SPi method for sure. Hope this helps!

So would you say the work you put in at home helped or hindered you? Were you able to bring any if the feelings from home to the course?

The work at home absolutely helped me. While I obviously wasn't putting lights out yet, I certainly felt like I could have. The feeling of confidence absolutely stayed with me.

Just caught up again, keep bringing it guys, great thread.

Small update in my testing

Small update in my testing

Since getting my mFGP2 and meeting with my SPi instructor, I have had some of my best putting rounds ever: 24 (chipping into every green due to horrible play left mostly short putts, shot a 90), 28 and 28. While I LOVE this putter, the big difference has been the SeeMore methods. My favorite is the medicine ball routine, I had a bit of a forced "sbst" stroke before and this is helping considerably with my stroke staying in my shoulders. I have been taking it to the course with me and using it a bit on the putting green before my rounds.....use it from time to time on the course too, stares usually ensue.

I'm still lining up left of my intended line too often, but using the triangulator is helping train my eye a little better. I'm just so used to what "looks" like I'm on line it's making a true line seem like I'm starting it right, I'm sure I'll adjust to that though.

The RST is still factoring in to less putts too, it actually makes it hard to not be squared up, but that doesn't help as much when you're lining up left like I tend to do. That's where the triangulator comes in to help save the day (or round, I guess), John worked with me a good bit on tracking the line with my eyes a couple times just before stroking a putt, but in my stubbornness, I fall into old habits and it costs me a stroke usually.

It's just nice having friends ask what I'm doing so different when we get to the green even though they're ahead of me by quite a few strokes, at least I'm getting them on the putting side.

Again, MANY THANKS to THP and SeeMore!

great job everyone so far, keep bringing it!

Certainly, anything is possible... Consistency is the key to the SPi method however and a hunch over/non upright posture makes the shoulders more rounded. From there, it is more difficult for the shoulders to rock back and through because they are restricted. Also, standing taller allows the eyes to be inside the ball which is another SPi trait to consistency. I can say from experience, before switching to a SeeMore about six years ago, I was very bent over from the hips with my eyes outside the ball.. I am a much better putter now with the SPi method for sure. Hope this helps!

It does, I was just wondering, thanks for taking the time to answer

Jman is gonna be the big test for this he's taller than me and was using a 33.5 usually I believe before the see more which is a 36" huge difference in posture there.

Jman is gonna be the big test for this he's taller than me and was using a 33.5 usually I believe before the see more which is a 36" huge difference in posture there.

You mean like this? LOL

DSC_0164.jpg
DSC_0163.jpg

You mean like this? LOL

DSC_0164.jpg
DSC_0163.jpg

Something like that yes. Was I right with your old length? I'm pretty sure the Roko I bought from you is 33.5 and the shortest putter I've ever owned.

Something like that yes. Was I right with your old length? I'm pretty sure the Roko I bought from you is 33.5 and the shortest putter I've ever owned.

Yep, I played 33, 33.5, and 34. Just felt comfortable for what I was doing, little did I know what I was doing was hideous.

Back