Shaft Flex; Are you right?

I can't see crap from the pictures, but the graphs look cool! Can I get a paintfill...JK U. Work it brotha

I can't see crap from the pictures, but the graphs look cool! Can I get a paintfill...JK U. Work it brotha

Yeah I can't read the numbers but I can still see the dispersion at the top right which is what I wanted to show lol. My girlfriend was taking the pictures lol

Won't go there on the reason for the blur, just thankful she was able to assist!

Won't go there on the reason for the blur, just thankful she was able to assist!

haha, nah she just took it a bit too far away that' all, but next time we go she's gonna help me out, she always helps me with my THP videos

Those of you that have not been properly fit for the correct shaft, do you hit more than one club? What I mean is if you by club x in regular flex, do you hit every regular flex in club x that the store has in stock?

Those of you that have not been properly fit for the correct shaft, do you hit more than one club? What I mean is if you by club x in regular flex, do you hit every regular flex in club x that the store has in stock?
That's something I was eluding to in my original post. I think most amateur golfers look at shaft flex being a constant throughout brands, rather than thinking one stiff may be another regular, etc.

That's something I was eluding to in my original post. I think most amateur golfers look at shaft flex being a constant throughout brands, rather than thinking one stiff may be another regular, etc.

I'm guilty of this, but trying to get better.

My assumption is that forum answers will be a little different than what happens with most people. I think people see themselves in a flex and go with that more often than not.

Talking to the guys at my club is always interesting and I honestly think it all goes back to ego and masculinity. I talked to a 75 year old guy that was still not really in agreement that he should be playing the SR flex high-loft driver I watched him get fit for, even though he admitted to hitting it better than his old driver. He also objected to playing from the forward tees even though he rarely cracked 180 yards off the tee. Another guy just had hip and shoulder surgery, yet almost seemed ashamed to admit that he'd be recommended an R flex graphite iron shaft.

I was guilty of this until I learned the ways. I'm glad I did. It really did make my game more enjoyable and lowered my HC.

I'm guilty of it as well. I bought my RBZ 3W off the rack and lucked out that it fit me 'LIKE A GLOVE'. But I have done the same with other clubs and they didn't fit. I know prior to THP I'd just buy with out really any research. I thought I knew best

I bought my RBZ 3W off the rack and it was terrible for me. With my new Oban shaft it has become one of my favorite clubs. Just like with a pair of pants everyone is different and you need to try on a few pairs to see what fits best.

Seeing as I don't get to try many things at all, I don't know to be honest. I see pretty good results with what I currently have in the bag, so I figure it is alright for my swing.

Just a thought on this. I play my iron shafts in stiff steel shafts, my hybrids in regular flex graphite driver and 3-wood regular flex graphite. A mixed bag but my ball flight is straight for the most part.

Cobra actually prints the swing speed range that they recommend on the stock AMP shaft. Cobra has never struck me as a pro-fitting OEM. They just expect people to look at the shaft and pick based on that number, and often people don't even know their swing speed number.

When I ordered my PX shafts I went and got fit for my frequency number. I went in convinced it would be 5.5 but ended up at 6.0

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

If I have a lot of wierd spin (topsin, duckhooks) could this be a shaft issue? Do I need a lower spin shaft, diff. flex etc... I was sorta fitted (for flex not shaft) and have a reg flex C. Kua.

If I have a lot of wierd spin (topsin, duckhooks) could this be a shaft issue? Do I need a lower spin shaft, diff. flex etc... I was sorta fitted (for flex not shaft) and have a reg flex C. Kua.

I am not expert, but it could be. I got fitted (sort of) this year and it has made a big difference in terms of accuracy and consistency. My old driver was a stiff flex and found out that it was not what I needed. I would say get fitted if you can.

I play what works for me. Truth is, companies have actually been labeling shafts stronger. Today's stiff, at least in many shafts that can be found stock in GI irons is actually closer to a senior flex in frequency. I've been told that it is to boost the ego of players who think they should be hitting a stiff because they don't want people to know they play a regular/ weaker flex. (Although some shafts, like the kbs tour actually play very strong to flex, over 6.5 if I remember correctly). Just food for thought.
I have all my clubs frequencied to about 5.6-5.8, and I prefer a stiffer tip section. I had no idea about all this until I met several club builders who fit me to my current set.

Unless you're hitting the top half of the ball you're not getting topspin. No way to answer your question without some sort of fitting.

Its just like a weird flight that goes for 150yds than sharply finds the ground. Wish I didn't have such a poopy swing haha.

I am not expert, but it could be. I got fitted (sort of) this year and it has made a big difference in terms of accuracy and consistency. My old driver was a stiff flex and found out that it was not what I needed. I would say get fitted if you can.

me too, I hit the RIP Phenom in the launch monitor and it was perfect, the Regular was getting me mainly 250 draws, and a few straight drives. (the dispersion was the best for me) The stiff wasn't getting it done for me

For the longest time, I only liked low launch shafts because when I hit a Kusala Blue in S flex, it felt like a noodle. When I hit a mid-high launch shaft in X, it felt fantastic and I picked up considerable distance compared to the lower launch shafts I was using. Not only is flex important, but so is flex profile.

For the longest time, I only liked low launch shafts because when I hit a Kusala Blue in S flex, it felt like a noodle. When I hit a mid-high launch shaft in X, it felt fantastic and I picked up considerable distance compared to the lower launch shafts I was using. Not only is flex important, but so is flex profile.

EXCELLENTLY stated Seth. Couldn't agree more, that's how I felt after putting the Blue 83X in my 5W, night and day. It ALL plays a role together, not just one or the other.

I need to get to the Callaway Performance fitting center at Mirimichi this winter. I really want to get reliable information on what I need as far as that goes.

Last year I had to borrow clubs and they were senior shafted irons and regular shafted Woods. I could not hit the irons to save my life. I tried to slow down or speed up and nothing worked with those senior shafts. I was way too far out in front and would slice em 60 yards. However, the regular shafted woods I was hammering. I started using the 3 wood on par 3's and choking down to get it on. No point in this other than saying I hit a regular shafted driver quite well!

Last year I had to borrow clubs and they were senior shafted irons and regular shafted Woods. I could not hit the irons to save my life. I tried to slow down or speed up and nothing worked with those senior shafts. I was way too far out in front and would slice em 60 yards. However, the regular shafted woods I was hammering. I started using the 3 wood on par 3's and choking down to get it on. No point in this other than saying I hit a regular shafted driver quite well!

that's really cool, after that what did you do next? Did you get fitted or play the driver you had with a regular shaft?

Back