Shaft Flex; Are you right?

that's really cool, after that what did you do next? Did you get fitted or play the driver you had with a regular shaft?

Oh, I went back to my clubs...it was just a one time thing from a guy that was trying to be nice so I wouldn't have to rent clubs on a trip. My timing has to be spot on with a regular shaft, but if it is, it goes a mile. But stiff shafts are for me and my swing. I've tried X stiff but I get the driver about 5 yards off the ground.

Oh, I went back to my clubs...it was just a one time thing from a guy that was trying to be nice so I wouldn't have to rent clubs on a trip. My timing has to be spot on with a regular shaft, but if it is, it goes a mile. But stiff shafts are for me and my swing. I've tried X stiff but I get the driver about 5 yards off the ground.

Yeah me too, If I get carried away, I start hooking really badly but with a slow smooth swing the regular gets my club face squared nicely, and with the stiff, It really takes me hardest swings, but when I start slowing down my swing, my face doesn't square at impact so I have to remind myself to not slow down or I'll slice it.

The GolfTec pro recommendation was to use the softest shaft that could take my strongest swing and the regular couldn't

I've been fit numerous times over the past three years and they have all suggested the same flex.

I really need to get fit. Maybe when the new Classic comes out hopefully with adjustability I can get fit for some Miyazakis.

I thought I have gotten older for stiff/firm and got fitted at golfsmith . The driver is stiff, wood is stiff, but irons jpx825pro were regular (last set in store). I went to another store and a previous years model jpx800 pro is stiff shaft. I am sticking with last year's stiff for now but one of these days, I will get it professional professional fitted set.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree, but with the right X, you would be deadly! I've seen it. Whatever flex you swing brother, you can hit that pill.

I've been fit numerous times over the past three years and they have all suggested the same flex.

Ya, we all know you swing the big boy clubs...and do it like no other!

It's crazy cause the Fujikura Blur TP 65 in stiff really fits my swing, but then I hit the R11s with the stock stiff and it doesn't work for me, today I went to try out the R11s with the stiff stock shaft and I was hitting it 258-264 on the launch monitor, but I wasn't squaring the face on time so I was getting some nasty slices, but the regular was straight and the Blur I have was relatively straight. I think the blur I play has a softer tip or something, I don't know but it fits me better, but then again the RIP phenom regular let me bomb the crap out of the R11s straight 250 and a great ball flight.

I think it's important to note that you can reg, stiff or x but only one will maximize your results. So just because you hit something straight doesn't mean it a good fit.

I called Robin Arthur about his Excalibur shafts and he fitted me over the phone and I could not be happier. Stiff is what I am playing and it it is what he reccommended. These shafts are in a R11 head and a RBZ fairway head and do they go. Nice mid boring flight and no issues with the wind

I think it's important to note that you can reg, stiff or x but only one will maximize your results. So just because you hit something straight doesn't mean it a good fit.

I'm excited for my fitting in two weeks. Also a little worries that as my swing evolves and progresses from continued lessons that things will change. I guess that's part of the game.

According to the launch monitor and the ten it was a good fit...

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I think I know what you are talking about as I have had this issue in the past. You put so much hook spin on the ball that you hit what I call a "heavy" ball it drops quickly and it is more of a swing issue. I think it is from trapping the ball with a closed or closing clubface.

Last edited:
I used to just stick with what I had, but everybody I talked with said that my senior flex graphite irons were too flexy for me. (I was 13 when I got them and now I am 14) Looking at I15's regular

I believe that my woods are ok as stiff flex, and the shafts that I have and are marked stiff are working ok. But, I've been playing this season with DG S300 which I think is not the right shaft nor flex for me. I went and got fitted for new iron shafts (I got a set of Miura heads, and I'd like to build them my self) and the result was either DG XP Regular or KBS Tour R+, and I love the feel of the KBS shaft. But, as the recent events regarding Morgan Cup, I will make my decisions later :)

The longer the club, the more important the right flex is, that's what I think and believe in.

After getting on the monitor again on Saturday morning I'm sure I'm in the right flex but am no sold that I have the right shaft. My swing speed was consistent with both my R9 and the R11s which was between 104.3-105.5 when I swung inside myself. So I'm confident that a stiff shaft is what best fits me.

I am a 6 handicapper. I have a Taylormade burner driver 2009 model 9.5 degrees and 3 wood with regular shaft. They are very light. I hit them well (driver 260 yds + carry) but the trajectory is very high and distance not too great. I also have a Mizuno MP 8.5 degrees driver stiff shaft set at standard positions. It goes about 15-20 yds longer and has a mid trajectory. The drivers are not fitted for me. I wonder if the Buner distance is less due to the regular shaft.

I am a 6 handicapper. I have a Taylormade burner driver 2009 model 9.5 degrees and 3 wood with regular shaft. They are very light. I hit them well (driver 260 yds + carry) but the trajectory is very high and distance not too great. I also have a Mizuno MP 8.5 degrees driver stiff shaft set at standard positions. It goes about 15-20 yds longer and has a mid trajectory. The drivers are not fitted for me. I wonder if the Buner distance is less due to the regular shaft.

I'd say that you have it figured out. A stiffer/lower launching shaft could make up for that difference.

What a great thread and great discussion. It just goes to show the importance of finding a professional and truely getting fit into your equipment. As a former GolfTEC employee I can tell you they do a GREAT fit! They help weed through the shaft selections better than just about anyone I have come across.

I have the benefit of working in the business, I have a full repair shop at work, and I am a fitter for most club companies. Looking at my sig you will see that I have changed out the shafts in every club in my bag (not the putter) in the last couple of weeks. I have made a couple of swing changes, and my ball flight has changed. As a result the equipment I was playing just didn't give me the flight I need. When it comes to making changes it isn't about what a shaft is designed to do, it is how it performs in that piece of equipment, and who does the install. You can change how a shaft plays and feels if you don't know what you are doing putting it in.

I have a number of golfers ordering shaft pull online and they bring them in for me to install. These things have been tipped, butt cut, and all kinds of things. They freq out all over the board. My advise is to buy new, uncut, and have a professional prep it and install it.

What a great thread and great discussion. It just goes to show the importance of finding a professional and truely getting fit into your equipment. As a former GolfTEC employee I can tell you they do a GREAT fit! They help weed through the shaft selections better than just about anyone I have come across.

I have the benefit of working in the business, I have a full repair shop at work, and I am a fitter for most club companies. Looking at my sig you will see that I have changed out the shafts in every club in my bag (not the putter) in the last couple of weeks. I have made a couple of swing changes, and my ball flight has changed. As a result the equipment I was playing just didn't give me the flight I need. When it comes to making changes it isn't about what a shaft is designed to do, it is how it performs in that piece of equipment, and who does the install. You can change how a shaft plays and feels if you don't know what you are doing putting it in.

I have a number of golfers ordering shaft pull online and they bring them in for me to install. These things have been tipped, butt cut, and all kinds of things. They freq out all over the board. My advise is to buy new, uncut, and have a professional prep it and install it.

I was fit for my driver and have been extremely pleased with the results. I have an X stiff in my Titlesist 910D2 9.5* Driver, Tour Stiff in my 2H RBZ Hybrid, and Stiff in my Cleveland HiBore 21* 3H.

Irons are Project X 6.5's and I've been playing them for about 4 months now and love the ball flight and results.

My question is about Hybrid shafts as I have always had trouble hitting 3W and 5W, I choose to hit a 16.5* tour hybrid and a 21 degree hybrid instead. Any suggestions on hybrid shafts based on my current club/shaft selection? Especially with the RBZ Tour Hybrid, I really have to focus on my swing to avoid snap hooks.

Last edited:
Back