Shallowing the Club

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw this video the other day and found it absolutely fascinating how little the last couple lessons I took talked about the right elbow. We know I am long, we know I'm dealing with over the top (especially with driver), yet that discussion has never made it's way to getting the right elbow into a better place as we drive down through the zone.

Long story short, I took this swing thought to the course today, and I swear it helped. Not on the way back, but absoluuuutely on the way through getting that right elbow underneath early.

Curious to hear what you guys think about your right elbow and whether you've used that to shallow.

I saw this video the other day and found it absolutely fascinating how little the last couple lessons I took talked about the right elbow. We know I am long, we know I'm dealing with over the top (especially with driver), yet that discussion has never made it's way to getting the right elbow into a better place as we drive down through the zone.

Long story short, I took this swing thought to the course today, and I swear it helped. Not on the way back, but absoluuuutely on the way through getting that right elbow underneath early.

Curious to hear what you guys think about your right elbow and whether you've used that to shallow.

I need to try it out. Path is not good at the moment. Trackman on range a week ago confirmed it.

Yes, feeling like I'm keeping my elbow tucked on the way back and make it feel like it attaches to my right ribs in transition and thru the ball has been a HUGE part of the OTT work I've been doing since the start of the year. It's still not 100% grooved.

The issue is I get on the course and fall back into the old swing because even though it's bad its familiar still.

Last edited:
So this is something I've been working on off the tee. I have a terrible issue coming over the top that usually manifests itself as I get too quick on the down swing. I've been focusing on getting my elbow down and in, mainly on driver, but it can also creep in and affect my irons from time to time. When I get to the tip of my driver swing, my first movement is to get the elbow in and down, then fire my hips and arms. I'm doing the exaggerated movement he says you shouldn't have to do though haha. Instead I need to focus on keeping the wrist flat and elbow in.

I’ve been trying to focus lower half first to allow the club to settle but this had me intrigued. Be interested to see what others say

I like this videos going to watch it a few times..

I’ve been trying to focus lower half first to allow the club to settle but this had me intrigued. Be interested to see what others say
The lower body is what brings the elbow down to the hip, not the conscious bringing/pulling it down to there. I have been told I uhh… shallow the club a little. All it feels like I’m doing is rotating really effing hard.

Thank you.

I needed to see this as it’s exactly the issue I think I’ve been having. Will work on this tomorrow.

Yes, feeling like I'm keeping my elbow tucked on the way back and make it feel like it attaches to my right ribs in transition and thru the ball has been a HUGE part of the OTT work I've been doing since the start of the year. It's still not 100% grooved.

The issue is I get on the course and fall back into the old swing because even though it's bad its familiar still.
Glad I’m not the only one that reverts back to the old swing.

The lower body is what brings the elbow down to the hip, not the conscious bringing/pulling it down to there. I have been told I uhh… shallow the club a little. All it feels like I’m doing is rotating really effing hard.
Thanks. Want to be my coach?

i’ve tried this and it was a temporary fix that eventually stopped working. so far the most success i’ve had fixing path has been to flex the left wrist in the backswing and keep it flexed into transition. brain knows that the face is shut so if i want to hit the ball online i have to swing from the inside.

I had a big dump/flip as a kid. Took a lesson and I forget the exact phrasing but we worked on "getting the right elbow through" or something to that effect. Could definitely see it helping.

This spells out my big swing fault. Has been for years. I need to work on that elbow position and straight left wrist.

I am not at all convinced that one body part will save another in the golf swing.

I am not at all convinced that one body part will save another in the golf swing.
Agree. It all works together or it is all just compensation.

I've posted a ton about this. Done a bunch of videos for forum members. Normally, my main thought is to create an arm frame and drop it down before doing just about anything else. With the driver of it being getting that elbow in front quickly.

Is this where you keep a towel under your elbow on your side through your swing and try not to drop it? Right for y'all, left for me because I'm broken and stand on the wrong side of the ball.

The lower body is what brings the elbow down to the hip,

Everything is senantics and word salad and how you interpret things in the end, but that... oof.

The lower body is what brings a ton of people outside, and over the top. They get a good position at the top, and the lower starts and pulls their hands outside before they can come down on plane. The lower body doesn't "drop" anything.
Again, in the end it's all what words make it make sense to any one person though.

Last edited:
That video really simplifies how to get the right structure at the top to help shallow the club. I've never thought of it this way but am going to try this out

I’ve tried using the elbow as my focal point. It made a robotic swing even more herky jerky. It worked a bit, but then I tried the skipping rocks thing and that messed me all up. At least he talks about the hands pushing down even though he shows the hands facing the sky while making the skipping rocks motion. I like the positioning talk in the backswing but it’s too hard for me to switch my focus to different parts of my body. It might work for others but I make it look like I have zero coordination.

I legitimately have no idea what my right elbow is doing at any point in the swing. All my feels are in my left arm for whatever reason.

Completely agree. My lower body is significantly improved but does not come close to fixing my OTT. My big issue is swinging down at the ball with my arms.

Completely agree. My lower body is significantly improved but does not come close to fixing my OTT. My big issue is swinging down at the ball with my arms.
Same. Tightness in my lower back has 100% encouraged overactive hands, which has encouraged an overactive right elbow to square.

This is one of the first videos I've seen on the YT that talks sense into the right elbow rather than putting the head 'in a place' which is damn hard to do.

Oddly enough I was working on sending the butt of my club straight down at the ball before rotating my hips to stop fading it. I didn’t understand why I was slamming the face closed but after using that move I kept it square longer like the example in the video. It’s just weird how the same action causes different results in golfers.

Same. Tightness in my lower back has 100% encouraged overactive hands, which has encouraged an overactive right elbow to square.

This is one of the first videos I've seen on the YT that talks sense into the right elbow rather than putting the head 'in a place' which is damn hard to do.
Yeah I've tried the right elbow alone with help of something in between my arms and it helps, but adding the alignment stick behind me like in the video is a huge help for me. Then try to visualize it there when it's gone.

Back