Shot Scope X5 Watch

Lamkin Sonar midsize. C130 (2022 model) bag. Nothing crazy.

It's just weird. SS has been great about replacing them and all, I just don't know how I've had two break now so close together.
I’ve had two of the older flat ones break but none of the newer ones break to date.

Another noob question, how do you use the tracking + gps mode? Do you launch the tracking directly from the watch? Or do you launch first the tracking from the smartphone? I've been trying to find it out through the topic but I have not seen nothing about this (but probably it have been already discussed).
There are some good videos on YouTube that explain the basic functionality of the watch, and some that provide some great tips on the best way to use it. Just search YouTube for "X5 golf watch". The phone is only used for firmware upgrades, synching any course changes to the watch, and to offload from the watch and upload the completed round(s) to the Shot Scope servers. Using the app on the phone can optionally be used like other golf apps on the phone while on the course to see whole hole views and get yardages in addition to what is shown on the watch. However, the watch does not need to be "connected" to the app while playing.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this watch. I had battery longevity issues with my first X5. When CS could not diagnose the issue, it replaced the watch. It seemed to be better.

I hadn’t used the watch in almost two months. Last Friday, I was headed out on a road trip that include one round of golf on that same day. I checked the night before to make sure the watch was properly plugged in to charge. I checked the battery in the morning and it said “100%.” I put the watch on as I walked out the door. The drive was about four hours. We arrived about 45 minutes before our tee time. I hit balls, but waited to start the round until just before our tee time. By the 14th hole, the battery display indicated that I was running out of power. The watch kicked me out of my round just as I finished the 16th hole and the watch went dead.

Man, I am SOOOOOOO frustrated. I don’t know what to do next. I never had these problems with the V3,

I have such a love/hate relationship with this watch. I had battery longevity issues with my first X5. When CS could not diagnose the issue, it replaced the watch. It seemed to be better.

I hadn’t used the watch in almost two months. Last Friday, I was headed out on a road trip that include one round of golf on that same day. I checked the night before to make sure the watch was properly plugged in to charge. I checked the battery in the morning and it said “100%.” I put the watch on as I walked out the door. The drive was about four hours. We arrived about 45 minutes before our tee time. I hit balls, but waited to start the round until just before our tee time. By the 14th hole, the battery display indicated that I was running out of power. The watch kicked me out of my round just as I finished the 16th hole and the watch went dead.

Man, I am SOOOOOOO frustrated. I don’t know what to do next. I never had these problems with the V3,
Did you have the watch on or off on the 4 hr drive. If it was searching for location it could have led to the 55% of your battery draw. I’m not sure even out of round if on range swings if the watch sends off readings although not shown but still getting location.

The V3 seems to be more stable than X5 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know right…I don’t know what to do on the course without it.
Use your range finder, get a PuttView green book. And a pencil.
Go old school, it will take your concentration to the next level.

I have an X5 on order and am anxious to try it vs. my Arccos which I've been using for years. Quick question (I haven't read all 165 pages yet - phew) - how do you manage two sets of clubs? I keep a set at each course.
You would have to either swap tags or purchase additional tags.
Then set up your digital bag.
Activate the clubs you will be playing. And store the clubs you won’t be using. This is done easily on the computer using drag. Drag out then drag in.

Hoping to better utilize the watch this year during the round for hazards and putts. I struggle there.

Use your range finder, get a PuttView green book. And a pencil.
Go old school, it will take your concentration to the next level.
Fun thing I typically carry a yardage book with me 80% of the time I play. Take notes on greens and layouts, however the data the X5 and Shot Scope provide are instrumental in me playing smarter and knowing my yardages and typical misses.

On some holes where the greens are under maintenance and we have temp green, the watch obviously does not go into the putt mode/screen. Any way to get to that screen and 'finish' that hole?
Great question.
This is definitely a customer support question.
I would be figuring out how to pin collect be walking to where it recognizes the green then doing manual corrections on the computer. Your putter should still be recognized on the GPS track wherever you have used it to stroke.

Fun thing I typically carry a yardage book with me 80% of the time I play. Take notes on greens and layouts, however the data the X5 and Shot Scope provide are instrumental in me playing smarter and knowing my yardages and typical misses.
I’m sure. I totally agree when you step up flip your wrist and have an immediate starting point for yardage based club selection.
I have learned to shoot mounds traps and pins with my rangefinder. For confirmation and to educate myself on the total picture.

I’m sure. I totally agree when you step up flip your wrist and have an immediate starting point for yardage based club selection.
I have learned to shoot mounds traps and pins with my rangefinder. For confirmation and to educate myself on the total picture.
Agree with you there. I carry a rangefinder and will have it right in front of me, but the amount of times I reach for it would better be left in the carrying case. 😂

Is there any way to verify all the tags are working properly?
The watch will indicate which tag it is reading.
You will have to do this at a course.

Edit: didn’t know the X5 has a tag read test function. But it does.

Last edited:
Agree with you there. I carry a rangefinder and will have it right in front of me, but the amount of times I reach for it would better be left in the carrying case. 😂
I pushcart golf, it’s always in front of me.
Before I used to make an effort to grab and shoot. Now it’s automatic. Especially for confirmation how deep the pin is on the green, or the face of the bunker to carry.

Got my replacement charger in the mail last night. Hoping that round 2 with the X5 is a bit better experience for me, I’ll have to get used to wearing a watch again but I would like to get back to stat tracking. I think I’ll try using the putter tag this season and get away from manual putting.

I have an X5 on order and am anxious to try it vs. my Arccos which I've been using for years. Quick question (I haven't read all 165 pages yet - phew) - how do you manage two sets of clubs? I keep a set at each course.

Would love to hear your preferences.

I really would prefer the X5 even at the higher cost, simply because of looks and function but man does it seem like there are more issues with it than the x3 which seems pretty darn stable.

I've always had an issue with the fact that the V3 would always connect to the app on the first try, but the X5 would take several attempts. I don't recall exactly what caused me to do this, but I signed out of the app and deleted it. Went into the Bluetooth settings and "forgot" both devices. I then downloaded the app again, signed in and paired both the V3 and the X5 with the app. Since doing that, the X5 has connected immediately on the first attempt.

I've always had an issue with the fact that the V3 would always connect to the app on the first try, but the X5 would take several attempts. I don't recall exactly what caused me to do this, but I signed out of the app and deleted it. Went into the Bluetooth settings and "forgot" both devices. I then downloaded the app again, signed in and paired both the V3 and the X5 with the app. Since doing that, the X5 has connected immediately on the first attempt.
Yep. If I recall, there was an issue on IOS, I know I had it for a while on my X5 but I also used Android on the V3 and there were no issues.

I did the same thing as you, just remove and restart and it's been working great so far.

Yeah I was having the same issue connecting to the app. Pretty sure I haven't since the last firmware update

i've tried to search along the topic, but I have not found anything related, so I am afraid the answer is NO, but... does the X5 have the function to recommend the best club depending on the distance to the hole?

i've tried to search along the topic, but I have not found anything related, so I am afraid the answer is NO, but... does the X5 have the function to recommend the best club depending on the distance to the hole?
Nothing that I've seen. However, you don't always want the longest club. One of the nice things about SS is that once you get your distances you can also see hazards and possibly lay up to a number you're comfortable with.

200 to the pin, but it's protected by a forced carry just short of the green you might want to pick a club that only gets you 150 so you can have a 50 yard shot into the green rather than try to force 200 in case you land short - or something like that.

What it does is give you the information to make an informed decision an in the app you can also see your average distances so you know what you're working with.

Negative

I need to try this.

Back