jacob1

Needs more cow bell
Reaction score
Handicap
What are something's you do to get more shoulder turn? I can turn fairly well but my left arm doesn't stay completely straight. If I keep it straight I don't get as much turn. Any excersices or ideas on making this better? Thanks.

Is your left shoulder under your chin with your current swing?

Do some yoga to improve flexibilty.

Yes it is. Maybe my expectations are a little high????

I would say too high, mis-directed maybe. If you have made you back swing and your left shoulder (right hander) is under your chin or moving your chin out of the way, you have competed your back swing.
My guess is you are looking for more power?!
Are you turning against a solid base? Meaning is the flex in your knees remaining through out the swing? If not you could be losing power.
Are you casting the club or releasing the club too early in the down swing? Also a big area of power loss.

I would say too high, mis-directed maybe. If you have made you back swing and your left shoulder (right hander) is under your chin or moving your chin out of the way, you have competed your back swing.
My guess is you are looking for more power?!
Are you turning against a solid base? Meaning is the flex in your knees remaining through out the swing? If not you could be losing power.
Are you casting the club or releasing the club too early in the down swing? Also a big area of power loss.
Yeah my kness are staying bent. I am looking for some more yards. The only other thing is I know my club doesn't parallel to the ground over my head it's more straight up over my head. I guess I'm losing power there. I have a driver lesson for Tuesday so maybe I'll get it figured out.

What are something's you do to get more shoulder turn? I can turn fairly well but my left arm doesn't stay completely straight. If I keep it straight I don't get as much turn. Any excersices or ideas on making this better? Thanks.

I use a nautilus machine at the gym which involves kneeling on a padded apparatus and twisting my lower body about 90* or so while the upper body remains stationary and facing front. I can adjust the tension (measured in pounds) as needed to increase the resistance as I twist my lower body in either direction.

This exercise has proved invaluable in not only increasing my shoulder turn, but increasing the speed of my turn (via the hips clearing out faster) as well.

Yeah my kness are staying bent. I am looking for some more yards. The only other thing is I know my club doesn't parallel to the ground over my head it's more straight up over my head. I guess I'm losing power there. I have a driver lesson for Tuesday so maybe I'll get it figured out.

Not having a parallel shaft is not causing a power loss. Try holding the angle created by the club and your left arm almost til the point of impact. Combine this by holding your back to the target a fraction of a second longer on your down swing. These two items combined will generate some serious angles and club head speed.

Your left arm doesn't have to stay completely straight. A little flex will not hurt the out come in the down swing.
Tadashi70 makes some very good points to look out for with the completion of your swing.

Getting parrallel is overrated. JB Holmes and Gary Woodland don't get the club to parrallel and they hit it a mile. There's also this guy who has won twice on the PGA this year who doesn't get to parrallel, Tiger Woods. Getting to parrallel is overrated.

Not having a parallel shaft is not causing a power loss. Try holding the angle created by the club and your left arm almost til the point of impact. Combine this by holding your back to the target a fraction of a second longer on your down swing. These two items combined will generate some serious angles and club head speed.
Thanks for the tip!

Getting parrallel is overrated. JB Holmes and Gary Woodland don't get the club to parrallel and they hit it a mile. There's also this guy who has won twice on the PGA this year who doesn't get to parrallel, Tiger Woods. Getting to parrallel is overrated.

While that may be true for most touring pros, I think for the rest of us, getting the shaft to parallel helps immeasurably in generating clubhead speed. Of course, too much of anything isn't a good thing, so I don't recommend going beyond parallel ala John Daly.

If getting to parallel isn't natural for someone, due to flexibility or technique, then forcing themselves to get there can introduce more swing problems than just a lack of clubhead speed.

If getting to parallel isn't natural for someone, due to flexibility or technique, then forcing themselves to get there can introduce more swing problems than just a lack of clubhead speed.

No one is forcing anyone (or asking them to force themselves) to get themselves to parallel. We're discussing the benefits of getting to parallel. If they can't get to parallel, then they can't.

I'm just trying to fiqure out why a lot of the guys I play with out drive me by 40 yards. Most of us are all the same size. Hopefully my lesson Tuesday will answer a lot of those questions. On a deferent note I hit my irons ALOT better than the guys I play with so if I could fiqure out the driver I should be able to drop some strokes and eventually break into the 80's

I'm just trying to fiqure out why a lot of the guys I play with out drive me by 40 yards. Most of us are all the same size. Hopefully my lesson Tuesday will answer a lot of those questions. On a deferent note I hit my irons ALOT better than the guys I play with so if I could fiqure out the driver I should be able to drop some strokes and eventually break into the 80's
It could be a number of factors:

Optimized driver loft, shaft flex, ball speed and spin rates;

your strength, flexibility, and of course, golf ability and technique.

While that may be true for most touring pros, I think for the rest of us, getting the shaft to parallel helps immeasurably in generating clubhead speed. Of course, too much of anything isn't a good thing, so I don't recommend going beyond parallel ala John Daly.

While some think a parallel shaft is optimal it really has no bearing on the amount of power it produces. I can get the club to a perfect position at the top of my swing but with out the proper delivery it's meaningless.
That being said a parallel club with good mechanics can not the ball a country mile. But trying to achieve a parallel position with understanding that there are so many other factors just looks good.
As others have stated getting to parallel is always the answer. In fact I would argue that a great deal of power is lost in amateur swings trying to get to that position. I would much rather see someone load correctly then try to get the club to parallel

The part about being a better iron player tells me that you are releasing the driver to early in your swing. And I bet as omega eluded to your loft and shaft combo my also be contributing to your distance lose.

The part about being a better iron player tells me that you are releasing the driver to early in your swing. And I bet as omega eluded to your loft and shaft combo my also be contributing to your distance lose.
I'm not sure what you mean by releasing the driver early? Casting?

While some think a parallel shaft is optimal it really has no bearing on the amount of power it produces. I can get the club to a perfect position at the top of my swing but with out the proper delivery it's meaningless.
That being said a parallel club with good mechanics can not the ball a country mile. But trying to achieve a parallel position with understanding that there are so many other factors just looks good.
As others have stated getting to parallel is always the answer. In fact I would argue that a great deal of power is lost in amateur swings trying to get to that position. I would much rather see someone load correctly then try to get the club to parallel

Yes, getting the shaft to parallel is not the end all be all of achieving power in a golf swing. But if you can do the other things right (takeaway, maintaining width, proper angles, etc.), then getting the shaft to parallel will aid in achieving power during the swing.

I'm not sure what you mean by releasing the driver early? Casting?

Yes, casting. In a traditional golf swing some coaches teach 'holding the angle created by the club and left arm' it sounds like you may be releasing the angle at the top of your swing instead of at your right hip or lower.
Now some schools of thought teach an early release. I don't know which your pro teaches from so I would ask. But based on the info I have read from you, you are a victim of early release. Which kills club head speed and consistent solid contact.

And I bet as omega eluded to your loft and shaft combo my also be contributing to your distance lose.

On a side note, that's why I take others' ball reviews with a grain of salt (not to completely discount their review, of course). The reviewers may not have my swing speed, angle of attack, compression of the ball, swing plane and path, etc. that I do.

What works for others may not work for me, and vice versa.

Now some schools of thought teach an early release. I don't know which your pro teaches from so I would ask. But based on the info I have read from you, you are a victim of early release. Which kills club head speed and consistent solid contact.

Which schools of thought teach an early release? Just curious. I can't see how an early release could help one's golf swing when it comes to delivering power but I could be wrong.

I think your right on the money. I just took some practice swings with my driver and my natural swing is to release it about a foot before I get to my right leg. I will report back after my lesson on Tuesday. Thanks so much!

Back