I'd keep it open till the pro had a look. My last lesson had me just trying to get the club vertical because I was going too far back. The pro will be able to tell in just a few swings what you ought to be doing.

Which schools of thought teach an early release? Just curious. I can't see how an early release could help one's golf swing when it comes to delivering power but I could be wrong.

Watch David toms swing, he has very little wrist set and relies on rotation through the ball to get the club on plan and generate solid contact.
Jimmy B also comes from the school of early release rotation or connectivity.

I'd also recommend getting a full length mirror (they're inexpensive at any Home Depot or Lowes) and video camera for driving range practice sessions.

They're great for getting feedback on your swing to see if you're achieving the "proper" angles at all parts of your swing.

I'm self taught and have a decent looking swing with relatively decent results (9 handicap).

I'm just trying to fiqure out why a lot of the guys I play with out drive me by 40 yards. Most of us are all the same size. Hopefully my lesson Tuesday will answer a lot of those questions. On a deferent note I hit my irons ALOT better than the guys I play with so if I could fiqure out the driver I should be able to drop some strokes and eventually break into the 80's

I had a similar problem, i went to a pro-shop and recommended a different shaft for my driver and to relax my swing, and i gained about 30 yards.

I'm guessing that releasing early is also the reason I tend to hit the driver right and my irons have a little left to them.

I had a similar problem, i went to a pro-shop and recommended a different shaft for my driver and to relax my swing, and i gained about 30 yards.
Nice results!

Watch David toms swing, he has very little wrist set and relies on rotation through the ball to get the club on plan and generate solid contact.
Jimmy B also comes from the school of early release rotation or connectivity.

I just watched this video of Toms' swing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS98FY5bKhA

While Toms does have relatively less wrist cock than the average pro, he still does have a noticeable wrist cock at the top of his swing and maintains it all the way to the moment of impact, where he releases his wrists. Toms use of rotation is the same as other touring pros.

Personally, I would not characterize Tom's wrist cock has "very little wrist set".

Yes, getting the shaft to parallel is not the end all be all of achieving power in a golf swing. But if you can do the other things right (takeaway, maintaining width, proper angles, etc.), then getting the shaft to parallel will aid in achieving power during the swing.

You are 100% correct.

Here is another video of Toms' swing with a driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb88dI4huDo

Again, he has wrist cock (more than "very little wrist set") from the top of his backswing all the way down to impact, where he releases his wrists. Toms' rotation again is the same as other touring pros; no more, no less.

Trust me when I tell you David has an early release and relies on getting through the zone with his rotation.

Agree DT has less wrist set and casts it a tad right at the start of the downswing.

To OP, bigger hip turn can help with getting bigger shoulder turn.

Thanks guys! Would releasing early be the reason I hit driver right and irons left? I'm not talking a lot left maybe 5 yards. It's a nice left.

Trust me when I tell you David has an early release and relies on getting through the zone with his rotation.

Maybe he does now as the videos I've cited were taken about 1 year ago.

But based on those videos, I don't see the early release (at least not any earlier than most other touring pros). All golfers use rotation, to varying degrees, to get through the zone.

Thanks guys! Would releasing early be the reason I hit driver right and irons left? I'm not talking a lot left maybe 5 yards. It's a nice left.

Early release would result in your pulling your shots left, all else being equal.

But based on those videos, I don't see the early release (at least not any earlier than most other touring pros). All golfers use rotation, to varying degrees, to get through the zone.
You are arguing with a golf pro about the golf swing. Just trust that he know what he is talking about.

Yes. Early release will leave the face open with the driver and may cause a slight over the top move causing shorter clubs to pull slightly

I'm not interested in the way David toms hits it. It works for him. My drivers not working for me.. Lol.

You are arguing with a golf pro about the golf swing. Just trust that he know what he is talking about.

Yes, that explains why there are countless number of teaching pros, each with their own thoughts about the golf swing. There must be only one correct answer with regards to the golf swing, right?

Fair enough

Yes. Early release will leave the face open with the driver and may cause a slight over the top move causing shorter clubs to pull slightly
Thanks! You have been very helpful. Maybe I can repay the help someday.

Yes, that explains why there are countless number of teaching pros, each with their own thoughts about the golf swing. There must be only one correct answer with regards to the golf swing, right?
You just seem to want to argue with everyone and I'm getting tired of it. Every thread, every topic.

You just seem to want to argue with everyone and I'm getting tired of it. Every thread, every topic.

You're entitled to your opinion. I assure you though that it's furthest from the truth.

Interesting that you have no comment regarding the validity of my reply to your comment though.

Thanks! You have been very helpful. Maybe I can repay the help someday.

Just have fun! Golf and all that goes with it is about enjoying oneself!

As a self taught golfer you have formulated your own thoughts on the golf swing. And you can keep the ball in front of you as evidence of the 9 hdcp you carry.
Each teaching pro had his or her own theories on the golf swing. Some very traditional and others not so traditional. But make no mistake that each and every theory is derived from a core set of principals. So golf pro A (generally speaking) gets to the same place as golf pro b but with different ideas.
The golf swing goes up and it comes down how it gets to these positions is unique to each teaching pro.
As a student of the game first and ex teaching pro second my eye picks up things yours don't. Butch picks up things mine dont. If he told me something, I'd believe it.

As a self taught golfer you have formulated your own thoughts on the golf swing. And you can keep the ball in front of you as evidence of the 9 hdcp you carry.
Each teaching pro had his or her own theories on the golf swing. Some very traditional and others not so traditional. But make no mistake that each and every theory is derived from a core set of principals. So golf pro A (generally speaking) gets to the same place as golf pro b but with different ideas.
The golf swing goes up and it comes down how it gets to these positions is unique to each teaching pro.
As a student of the game first and ex teaching pro second my eye picks up things yours don't. Butch picks up things mine dont. If he told me something, I'd believe it.

While I may not be a certified teaching pro, I've read many books on the golf swing. Just because my handicap is a 9 does not mean that I can't see things that you can. There are countless reasons why swing coaches, like yourself, and aficionados of the golf swing, like myself, aren't playing on the tour. Lack of knowledge regarding the golf swing isn't one of the reasons.

Suffice it to say that your, or Butch, telling me something does not mean that I will blindly accept your judgments or opinions at face value. I do have a mind after all and the right, and every expectation, to use it to qualify your judgments and opinions, as well as anyone else, for myself.

But that's just me. If others choose to take the path of least resistance and blindly follow the teachings of others more credentialed than they are, it is certainly their right to do so.

Back