Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

I have not seen your swing, so I am not sure, but I like a ball that is easier to compress. This one is nice like that. Not cotton ball like in terms of compression, because even on big swings, I did not overcompress it and see ballooning.

I'm jsut guessing from what I remember you talking about your distances. I know a lot goes into it.

Yeah they overly soft is what I was really concerned about.

I have not seen your swing, so I am not sure, but I like a ball that is easier to compress. This one is nice like that. Not cotton ball like in terms of compression, because even on big swings, I did not overcompress it and see ballooning.

JB, can you describe in slightly greater detail the spin you are getting? how much is it releasing?

I actually think it can. I find it very straight off the tee. I do think it has slightly more greenside spin than the e6 though.
As straight as an e6, but with more greenside spin? That sounds like a winner! I gotta get my hands on a dozen...

What if a bunch of thier Z-Star, (ummm...$3.50/ball), customers do question everything and decide that they don't need a premium tour ball and switch to this ball or worse even someone else's ball.

Exactly why I'm looking forward to giving these a try.
I know I really don't need a tour ball, but I use the Z-Stars because I love the yellow color and the price was right (I stocked up on the 2010 model when they were selling them at 2/$50).

Taaaaap-a-talk....tap tap taaap-a-talk....give it a little tap-a-rooonie...

with my wedge game improving where i can one hop and check the ball, i dont wanna play anything that releases too much, these sound in the middle so i will give them a try, plus for the price if they dont work, im not lossing much!

JB - I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the QStar compares to the B330RX once you've had a little more time with it. Or now if you want. Whatever. :)

Think I'll pick a dozen up when I run out of the Trispeed Tours. I stocked up when Srixon ran the buy-two-get-one sale. So glad these are in yellow. Respect the yellow!

This ball has caught my interest since I am in the group that it was designed for. The specs on the Srixon website gives the cover a hardness rating of "57 shore D". I had to google this to see what it meant and I found that it has the same cover hardness as a Pro V1 and the B330-s. Hope this helps everyone who is wondering this new cover might feel.
I am also wondering how is it better than my E5? For the same price I get a great feeling urethane ball. Also, doesn't the trispeeds already play to the same group?

Very different core specs.

E5 = "Large gradational compression core"
Q-star = "Energetic gradient growth core"

E5 = 70 compression
Q-star = 75 compression

am i missing something here?

E5 = "Large gradational compression core"
Q-star = "Energetic gradient growth core"

E5 = 70 compression
Q-star = 75 compression

am i missing something here?

Curious where your compression numbers came from?

I was under the impression that the e5 was pretty beefy as far as comp. goes, in the 90 range. What are the numbers JB, if you know?

Chatting with a Bridgestone fitter online and the Srixon spec page.

Chatting with a Bridgestone fitter online and the Srixon spec page.

Our numbers from our testing of compression show the e5 coming in higher than that. Since they dont make it public (according to them), I can only go by our tests.

Our numbers from our testing of compression show the e5 coming in higher than that. Since they dont make it public (according to them), I can only go by our tests.

Do you recall what it tested at in your tests? He did state that manufacturers do not rate compression anymore but was certain of the number when I questioned him on it. Was it the new E5 (2011) that was tested?

It does appear to me that Srixon is aiming to compete with the E-series balls with this new design. More choices to drive me crazy.

They do not rate compression anymore for quite a few reasons. But for us, it was slightly over 80. Ranging from 79-82.
And yes, it was the 2011 e5.

They do not rate compression anymore for quite a few reasons. But for us, it was slightly over 80. Ranging from 79-82.
And yes, it was the 2011 e5.

Thanks JB.

BTW, currently envious of you. Hitting this new ball with the new R11's. All the while bagging the Srixon clubs I'm coveting. Nice work if you can get it. :joy:

Played the new Q-Stars in yellow for 9 holes this afternoon and so far I like very much. They play alot like the E-6 but play alot softer around the greens. Didn't have the run out that I got with the E-6. And the Yellow is very nice, easy on the eyes and easy to see. So far they seem like a good find. We'll see how they do tommorrow an another course.

Where is everyone getting these at? I am looking for them.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Where is everyone getting these at? I am looking for them.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

I brought mine from Golf Galaxy.

Played the new Q-Stars in yellow for 9 holes this afternoon and so far I like very much. They play alot like the E-6 but play alot softer around the greens. Didn't have the run out that I got with the E-6. And the Yellow is very nice, easy on the eyes and easy to see. So far they seem like a good find. We'll see how they do tommorrow an another course.

Looking forward to hearing how they keep playing for you. Currently using the E6 but the Q-Star might be exactly what I need (more spin around the greens).

Played these today for the round at Reunion. I have to say that I really like them. I got really good distance off the tee (equal to the RX for me) and they stayed very straight. Around the green the ball has a nice soft tone to them that is not clicky or muted. The cover is definitely not urethane, and that works well for me as I am a high spin player, but the ball definitely checks more than the e6 and NXT Tour for me.

nice JB! I know everyone is different but how do you think the cover work work for a low spin player? a little more release or still some checkability? (it's now a word)

Played these today for the round at Reunion. I have to say that I really like them. I got really good distance off the tee (equal to the RX for me) and they stayed very straight. Around the green the ball has a nice soft tone to them that is not clicky or muted. The cover is definitely not urethane, and that works well for me as I am a high spin player, but the ball definitely checks more than the e6 and NXT Tour for me.

nice JB! I know everyone is different but how do you think the cover work work for a low spin player? a little more release or still some checkability? (it's now a word)

I think it can still check for people. Especially on full shots when they want it to.

Back