Staff Bags & Using Them

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As many on here know, I have a bit of an obsession with Staff bags. I have been known to have a few in the house as well. Recently I have been seeing more and more people using Staff Bags on the course and it got me thinking. Does one need to have a certain skill level to use a staff bag?

I have never thought that way and still don't, but I must say that when I see someone ride up to our group and he has a staff bag, I immediately assume the golfer will have a certain skill set. Could this be another one of those baffling unwritten rules that is finally dead (that would be great)?

What are your thoughts on these questions.
Do you have to be good to carry a staff bag?
When you see a golfer with one, do you think going in that they are a "player"?
Should your staff bag match your equipment?

I am actually thinking about pulling one from the collection and using it. Not sure which one, but definitely thinking about it.

I think it all falls down to preference... There is a reason why all this stuff is available to whomever wants it. That being said, if someone is going to fork over the cash to get a nice staff bag, logic would lead me to believe that it would match at least a couple of their clubs..

Then again, if someone has a better staff bag than they do clubs... hmm...

I don't think you have to be good (define good, <10 HC?) to carry a staff bag. That being said if I see someone with one I automatically think 'he's got some game' whether that's right or wrong. Unless you're being sponsored by a co. I don't think any or all of your equipment needs to be matchy matchy.

I used to carry staff bags, and I had no issues. I wouldnt play one that didnt match at lease one or two of my clubs though. I love staff bags. It is a natural assumption to assume skillset due to golf on tv, just like when you see someone with a college bag, you assume they played in college.

• Admin
I used to carry staff bags, and I had no issues. I wouldnt play one that didnt match at lease one or two of my clubs though. I love staff bags. It is a natural assumption to assume skillset due to golf on tv, just like when you see someone with a college bag, you assume they played in college.

What do you mean issues? What issues could arise from a staff bag rather than other bags?

You assume that with the college bags? I never really thought about that since people can buy bags with just about any college from so many brands now.

What do you mean issues? What issues could arise from a staff bag rather than other bags?

You assume that with the college bags? I never really thought about that since people can buy bags with just about any college from so many brands now.

I used them, and had no problem with them, they were just another bag. A little heavier, but you get used to it. I thought it was extremely handy. I liked how it stood straight up, you had a pocket for everything, you didn't have to throw everything in one pocket. I dont like carrying a bag full of stuff, so having a staff bag with many pockets and such large pockets where they didnt ever seem full, everything was kept to itself. Im kinda OCD when it comes to keeping stuff seperate. Just recently, Ive learned that my food touching other food on the same plate is okay

I believe my assumptions with the college bags comes from the fact that I am canadian, and college sports is no where in the vicinity of what it is here in the USA. So if you see a college bag, it was natural at most of the clubs I play[ed] at for them to be college players. Here at Aronimink, the only people with college bags are Dan Bedard [bucknell], Justin Martinson [Delaware], and a young bright female who plays for Notre Dame.

I actually had been thinking about this and was close to posting something similar. My company received some logoed staff bags from a supplier and I had been wondering if I was offered one, would I use it. I am still kind of on the fence about it, so maybe this thread will sway me one way or the other.

I used to think (10+ years ago) they were kind of dorky if someone used one. If you did, you had better be pretty good. e.g. If I saw someone with a staff bag, I would think they were good, and to flaunt their stuff like that, they better be. Not so much anymore. First of all, I think they are more common now, and easier to get than before, so anyone can get them. They don't cost much more (and maybe even less) than a good sized cart bag. Maybe not the special ones like JB has, but a standard version can be had from just about any manufacturer. Because of this, I don't place too much emphasis on someone's bag anymore. If you play enough, you will see several come and go. The 'player' stigma behind them has passed IMO. I used to judge people based on it, but now they are common enough, I just think of it as someone's preference.

My personal opinion is that my bag (along with any hat I have) should match some sort of gear in the bag, but that is just me. (I wouldn't ever wear Nike shoes with an Adidas shirt either, but that is another discussion) Some people don't agree to that, but I am a believer in it. Don't ask me why, just the way it is. I wouldn't use a Cleveland staff bag if I didn't have any Cleveland clubs. A guy a play with once or twice a year (who is really good BTW, not that it matters) uses one and his bag doesn't match any clubs. It is an older bag, but no clubs match. Doesn't seem to bother him, why should it bother me.

So I don't think they are a player if I see a staff bag. I used to, but not anymore. You don't even have to be kind of good. There are so many that use them that are not players, I don't think twice about it anymore.

I do think they should match some gear. Even if it is just a golf ball. But that is just me, what I would do.

My quick pros and cons are this. Pro - have you seen the storage in those things? I play in a lot of different weather and it is nice to be able to just load the bag with what you need and go and not have to worry about it. Plenty of room for all the clubs, rarely do they get jumbled together and hard to get out. Did I mention the storage space for stuff? Con - size and weight. I have a big trunk so it isn't a big deal for one bag, but if I were to have to load in with others, I would probably need to swap bags. I don't ever walk anymore, but I do like carrying the bag to the range, and from the car to the cart. Also, every once in a while if the course is cart path only and I am on the opposite side of the path, I will just pull my bag off and walk up that side.

Good stuff and bad stuff either way, I guess I don't have to worry about it until I have one.

I have kicked around the idea of a staff bag. I really love the looks to be honest and since most places I get a cart with my green fee, I would like to have one in the future. The storage/organization space seems like a huge plus.

In the back of my mind I have always invisioned someone with a staff bag as a better player. Sometimes I think that is what has prevented me from buying one. I don't believe you have to be a good player to have one. Even with equipment, its a matter of personal preference. I'm not saying typical players irons/balls wont impact your play but people will buy what they like in most cases. A bag cant impact your play IMO unless you plan on walking with it (fatigue).

I would want my bag to match my irons. However, if I found a kick @ss Nike bag to match my 3 wood, I would get that if I liked it more than a Cleveland bag. Everytime I walk into PGA SS my walk downthe bag isle takes a little longer.

To be honest, I'd say you have to break 85 or so pretty consistently to use a staff bag. That's obviously my opinion, and I have nothing wrong with lesser skilled golfers (hell, I don't break 85 consistently, but I also don't use a Staff bag) using them, I just don't think it goes real well together.

If that made sense at all.

I have toyed with the idea of a staff bag before, but thought you had to be a real good player to game one. That and I walk alot, usually with a push cart, so a staff bag isn't exactly ideal for my golfing situation.

I don't know. I think people should play with whatever makes them happy, but that's just me. I have a big old cart bag that I use because of all the space it provides. I hate carrying stuff in my pockets, so I put my keys, wallet, phone, change, and whatever else I need in a cart bag. And I do take a cart most of the time--when I play with my father, at least. However, I do feel some stares and people thinking I'm a total toolbox for having one. They don't understand the space in these things, I think. So if I feel pretty self conscious with a cart bag, I'd be embarrassed to go out with a staff bag. Now, if I was awesome, I'd take that staff bag and shove it in their smug little faces. Sorry, but some young kids hang out at my course and they think they're god's gift to the golf world. Hopefully, I've provided something in this rant.

And I don't think you have to be good to use a staff bag either. Geez, my pal shoots in the 100's and tries to play with blades for goodness sakes!

I don't know. I think people should play with whatever makes them happy, but that's just me. I have a big old cart bag that I use because of all the space it provides. I hate carrying stuff in my pockets, so I put my keys, wallet, phone, change, and whatever else I need in a cart bag. And I do take a cart most of the time--when I play with my father, at least. However, I do feel some stares and people thinking I'm a total toolbox for having one. They don't understand the space in these things, I think. So if I feel pretty self conscious with a cart bag, I'd be embarrassed to go out with a staff bag. Now, if I was awesome, I'd take that staff bag and shove it in their smug little faces. Sorry, but some young kids hang out at my course and they think they're god's gift to the golf world. Hopefully, I've provided something in this rant.

And I don't think you have to be good to use a staff bag either. Geez, my pal shoots in the 100's and tries to play with blades for goodness sakes!

You get stares from using a cart bag? Most use stand bags there I guess.

If you want to use one then go for it. It makes me no never mind if one does or nor, or if they are a "player". Just don't ask me to carry it for you...them things is heavy...LOL

i used to have a nice ping staff bag that i won in a tournament closest to the pin contest. i sold it though, just b/c i found it to be far to cumbersome. i prefer to walk if i can so cart bags/staff bags aren't ideal for me. i didn't mind having one and never felt judged by having one but who knows. i see a lot of guys at the range i use with staff bags and i feel as though i'm a better golfer than most that i see there, but who knows until i actually tee it up with them. i'm sure i get judged by my little nike extreme sport stand bag but it has some sentimental meaning to me and really could care less about someone else's opinion of me as a golfer. i let my ball striking on the range and on the course speak for me.

i see a lot of guys at the range i use with staff bags and i feel as though i'm a better golfer than most that i see there, but who knows until i actually tee it up with them.

So does that mean you think that staff bags should be used by better golfers? Or that if not that, you believe someone with a staff bag is a better golfer before you see them play?

So does that mean you think that staff bags should be used by better golfers? Or that if not that, you believe someone with a staff bag is a better golfer before you see them play?

i wouldn't say that they should be used by better golfers nor would i say that my first impression is that they are better, mostly b/c of my experiences seeing so many hit balls that have them, but i would say that it means that that person typically takes their golf a little more seriously. i think it shows pride in what you have invested in your gear and ultimately your game...and honestly, i respect those sort of golfers no matter how good or bad they may be.

I have played a staff bag since I left college golf. It doesn't have anything to do with a players ability. I use 1 because of the layout of pockets, storage space, and plenty of room for the clubs. I do go to a stand bag when I travel, but I love staff bags.

In Florida we are forced to ride on almost every course so why not play the bigger bag.

The bag doesn't need to match the gear. It is nice when it does, but if you find a staff bag that looks good and is functional go for it.

As a side note if the players name is on the bag is when my expectations of them as a golfer goes up.

Staff Bags & Using Them

I have played a staff bag since I left college golf. It doesn't have anything to do with a players ability. I use 1 because of the layout of pockets, storage space, and plenty of room for the clubs. I do go to a stand bag when I travel, but I love staff bags.

In Florida we are forced to ride on almost every course so why not play the bigger bag.

The bag doesn't need to match the gear. It is nice when it does, but if you find a staff bag that looks good and is functional go for it.

As a side note if the players name is on the bag is when my expectations of them as a golfer goes up.

Great post and awesome perspective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm taking a seem ripper to my embroidery as you read this! haha.

very good points you make here. they are more functional bags for sure, at least when it comes to space.

I caddied as a teenager. Most members that stored their clubs onsite had a big staff bag. I would love to use one because it is roomer for your clubs, you can carry lots of stuff, rain gear, extra socks, balls, etc.

Some members carried 40 - 60 old balls, 15 - 20 clubs making looping for them a pain. These pack rats were the worst tippers too.

If I win the lotto I am joining a few clubs and am keeping a Rodney Dangerfield staff bag at each clubhouse.

You get stares from using a cart bag? Most use stand bags there I guess.

Yep, I do. But to be honest, the course I frequent the most has four working motorized carts, no pro shop, and the most ignorant staff you'd ever want to know. Not only that, most of the people who show up do so in wife beaters and sneakers. It really hurts me to see people show no respect for the golf course. At least wear a tee shirt or something. But it's only nine bucks for 18 holes, so who am I to complain? But yeah, a cart bag is somewhat foreign to some of the people who are members. Most show up in non-descript, generic-looking, skinny bags from like the 1920's. So when I show up with my bigger than usual, flashy Taylormade cart bag, they don't know what to make of me. Maybe I'm compensating for something, I don't know.

Yep, I do. But to be honest, the course I frequent the most has four working motorized carts, no pro shop, and the most ignorant staff you'd ever want to know. Not only that, most of the people who show up do so in wife beaters and sneakers. It really hurts me to see people show no respect for the golf course. At least wear a tee shirt or something. But it's only nine bucks for 18 holes, so who am I to complain? But yeah, a cart bag is somewhat foreign to some of the people who are members. Most show up in non-descript, generic-looking, skinny bags from like the 1920's. So when I show up with my bigger than usual, flashy Taylormade cart bag, they don't know what to make of me. Maybe I'm compensating for something, I don't know.

Doesn't sound like you need to worry about the stares. I wouldn't.

i play a staff bag and love it. I play a single digit H.C and i didn't really use one until i was around that area just didnt seem to think it was necessary. however now that i play in a lot of local and state tournaments god is it nice i never have to take anything out because of compromising space so i never forget anything. i always either put it on a cart or the place my parents play you can still get a caddy so it doesn't really affect my play i just know that if i use a caddy i tip twice the normal amount for their trouble with it.

I have a couple of friends with staff bags. One bought a huge TM staff bag that barely fits on a cart and he plays to a 20 probably. I think it looks ridiculous on him, its just too big and cumbersome. I have another friend who is 76, plays to a 20, and owns a Callaway Staff Bag with his name embroidered on it. It looks fine on him. At his age, he is not going to start walking, it is not overly large, and it is obvious that when Callaway gave him the bag, he was a much better player.

I walk and haven't owned anything but a stand bag in the last 8 years. I owned one cart bag when I used a pull cart, but eventually got rid of it.

I do think that carrying a staff bag says one of two things. First, it could be saying I am a low cap, bu the other thing it could be saying is I am a wanna be. I know that isn't the only reasons to have one, but it seems to be some of the primaries.

Could not have said it better myself.

If you put your name on your staff bag, you better have game.

As far as using a staff bag, if you don't have to carry it, go for it. They are functional and beautiful pieces of golf equipment.

JB...pick one of those gorgeous bags in your collection and start using it!

Back