Staff Bags & Using Them

I bought a staff bag on eBay to display some putters in the basement. It's the first staff bag I've owned in 30+ years.

%%Q1f5vzQyi5CzZrs95ulQ.jpgOtBjh%rZTq64uKYNcz2OZA.jpg

As many on here know, I have a bit of an obsession with Staff bags. I have been known to have a few in the house as well. Recently I have been seeing more and more people using Staff Bags on the course and it got me thinking. Does one need to have a certain skill level to use a staff bag?

I have never thought that way and still don't, but I must say that when I see someone ride up to our group and he has a staff bag, I immediately assume the golfer will have a certain skill set. Could this be another one of those baffling unwritten rules that is finally dead (that would be great)?

What are your thoughts on these questions.
Do you have to be good to carry a staff bag?
When you see a golfer with one, do you think going in that they are a "player"?
Should your staff bag match your equipment?

I am actually thinking about pulling one from the collection and using it. Not sure which one, but definitely thinking about it.

Most would assume a certain skill set but what I see more and more is that is not the case. Nor should it be.
I have 2. They are in my home office. Collection pieces, if you will. I have on occasion taken one on the course. My OCD doesn’t allow it often as I couldn’t stand any damage to them.
As far as the questions.
Skill set, nope none required IMO
Some expectations when I see one that the person may carry a single digit hndcp.
IMO, I do think the equipment should match, but that’s my OCD.
One other rule I have is I won’t put my name on a bag. That is reserved for professionals. Again just my opinion. Below is my pride and joy. Holds all my extra stuff. Also have the matching blade and mallet putter covers.
C81C9BB8-5424-4AC2-8CA6-C92D2886AA83.jpeg

Last edited:
Back when Wilson Staff was the hot ticket my Uncle who got me into the game had a leather Wilson staff bag. It had to be 30 lbs without any clubs. Ever since then I’ve avoided them like the plague. Thinking they must all be that heavy.

I’ve historically Tried to go with bags like Sun Mt since they do not make clubs.

I guess I’ve always thought that bags made by oems that made clubs too should have that brands clubs in them.

It doesn’t matter what type of bag you have as long as it’s not a garbage bag and you’re not an ass on the course.

I also have penchant for staff bags, I have had a few over the years and although i only have one right now, I look constantly. Mine were always used on the course

So your saying I can pull one of my staff bags out of the office?

@mmaynard11 i Like the Project X one for sure, and that Morgan Cup bag is choice

Back