Sybase Classic (with spoilers)

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
I got my walking scorer assignments. On Thursday, May 14, I'll be with the 8:10 am group teeing off on the first hole. On Friday, I'll be with the 1:39 pm group teeing off on the first hole. Saturday assignments get made after the cut.

Last year, scorers were still using clip boards and pressure paper. It would be nice to join the 21st century, but we'll see. I'll just be happy if it stays dry.

What fun! Hope you have some good groups. I wish I wasn't so far from the location of any pro golf events this year. If I ever move back to Austin I will definitely try to hit the various Texas events.

What fun! Hope you have some good groups. I wish I wasn't so far from the location of any pro golf events this year. If I ever move back to Austin I will definitely try to hit the various Texas events.

You're not that far from Williamsburg, though your daughter is a little young for it all.

Very fun, Claire. We hope to be there all 4 days - I'll look for you to say hello.

Very fun, Claire. We hope to be there all 4 days - I'll look for you to say hello.

A couple of days before, when they post the pairings, I'll know who I'll be with. Even if it's non-superstars, you learn so much this way.

I'm not going to post a press release, but I saw two today. First, the top 10 players in the Rolex Rankings have all committed to this tourney. That would be:

Lorena Ochoa
Yani Tseng
Jiyai Shin
Paula Creamer
Suzann Pettersen
Cristie Kerr
Angela Stanford
Karrie Webb
Helen Alfredsson
Katherine Hull

Michelle Wie has also committed. Players have until May 5 to sign on.

This evening was uniform pickup and "training." We'll all be looking like we belong in preschool--yellow polos (with khaki pants? Who dreamt that one up?), blue hats, and red jackets. Cutter & Buck. I like the feminine placket on the polo, but can't imagine I'll get much use out of one that color.

The LPGA is still using clipboard and pressure paper, darn it all. The LPGA rep there mentioned something I hadn't quite realized--they try to have two drivable par 5s in every tournament. This year, it will be 11 and 18 (a change from last year). They will also be teeing off from 1 and 10 on the weekend--television coverage drives everything, and it ends at noon.

Last year was such a washout; we deserve good weather this year.

As opposed to what?

The PGA uses PDAs. A much more efficient way to get statistics into the system. With paper, the walking scorer hands a tear-off strip from each hole to the greens reporter, who radios it into the scoring tent, where someone else enters it into the system. That many people touching the information is just too many opportunities for a mistake. Also, last year in all the rain, the scoresheets were a total disaster. The walking scorers get zip-lock bags to put over the clipboards, and it doesn't do the job.

The PGA uses PDAs. A much more efficient way to get statistics into the system. With paper, the walking scorer hands a tear-off strip from each hole to the greens reporter, who radios it into the scoring tent, where someone else enters it into the system. That many people touching the information is just too many opportunities for a mistake. Also, last year in all the rain, the scoresheets were a total disaster. The walking scorers get zip-lock bags to put over the clipboards, and it doesn't do the job.

That's ridiculous.

Anyone have enough money to buy the LPGA so we can fix all of this stuff we always complain about?

Anyone have enough money to buy the LPGA so we can fix all of this stuff we always complain about?

Or at least enough so they can hire Harry and he can whip them into shape?

I've got $20 I can throw in. What % of ownership does that get me??

I've got $20 I can throw in. What % of ownership does that get me??

69%

Spoiler
Oh, no, wait. That's something completely different.

Daaa-aaad! He started it!

When does this tourny start??

Next week:

May 15 1:30-3:30 PM ET ESPN2
May 16 2:00-4:00 PM ET ESPN2
May 17 2:00-4:00 PM ET ESPN2

Cool. I'll have to tune in while I'm off on Friday.

Look for me! Yellow polo shirt, blue cap (just like the hundred of other volunteers).

Look for me! Yellow polo shirt, blue cap (just like the hundred of other volunteers).

Yeah but how many 14 year old boys will be out on the course. :wink: You should be easy to spot.

I'll DVR it, maybe you'll be on camera in that two hour window they alloted for the day. Hopefully we'll be at the Leawood Country Club for the Duramed event.

Yeah but how many 14 year old boys will be out on the course. :wink: You should be easy to spot.

I have a 1:10 or something group on Friday. That might be broadcast.

They're predicting rain for Thursday. Rats, rats, rats.

Back