T.P. Mills Center Shafted "Huey" - Demo Thread

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Well guys I have received the putter today. I will post a full review after spending some time with it, but I thought you would like to see some pics first. Can't wait to get out and give it a run.

My initial thoughts...Gorgeous. The black shaft really gives this putter a unique look, and the head cover is about the coolest I have ever seen.

box-1.jpg

cover-1.jpg

putter-4.jpg

putter-1.jpg

putter-3.jpg

putter-2.jpg

Very nice. The Huey headstyle is my absolute favorite of any out there, cannot wait to hear what you think.

(And the PVD shaft is SICK isn't it?)

Oooo I very much like this one. Head shape and the single alignment line are so clean.

Love the mid-mallets; looking forward to rolling this!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great looking putter. Looks like I need to add Mills to my short list for my next putter.

Really hoping the other one makes it to my house today!

Just remember, I got border patrol on the lookout for you.

Really hoping the other one makes it to my house today!

haha. If it's there, I'm heading straight the practice green.

fantastic looking putter. I am really interested in finally putting a center-shafted putter into play.

I can't believe I never got in on this. With a head style like that and a name like "Huey" it has to be made for me, haha. I really do love the style/look of this one.

It looks absolutely amazing. Another beauty by Mills. Enjoy!

Here's some eye candy. I'll post up my initial thoughts in just a little while.

DSC01333.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

Very nice pics buddy!

I freaking love the Huey (as I've said TWICE now in this thread). Such a damn good looking head-style and UNIQUE one too!

A CS may have to be the next Huey custom for me, very nice.

First, a little info on the putter from the TP Mills website

Specs:
Loft - 4*
Length - Cut to fit
Toe Hang - Face balanced to 3:15
Head Weight - 345g
Offset - Very little
Grip - Tour Tradition by Golf Pride
Headcover - Black ultraleather Anvil Series

The grip that is on the demo putter is actually the T.P. Mills Golf Pride Crosshairs Grip:

1.jpg

A little background about me as a putter:

I've struggled for a long time with finding a putter I'm comfortable with. Currently playing a slant neck, 1/2 shaft offest, milled face blade. Prior to that I played a face balanced, double bend offset, mid mallet with an insert. I have an arced stroke. My main problems with putting tend to be distance control and accuracy.

This is not the first TP Mills I've used. I have a blade style putter made by them that I've used on the real green a few times.

Thoughts on the looks:

Different for sure. The neck is just ever so slightly bent, which creates a small amount of offset. The center shaft is not something I'm really used to, so it took a bit of time to appreciate the look at address. The head itself is very clean with a single, blue alignment line. The stamping is classic TP Mills and looks very nice in the blue and red paint fill. Lastly, there is some very light face milling.

The shaft is a somewhat glossy black and is stepped and is something I haven't seen before. It's very, very cool looking. The grip is sweet looking with the crosshairs and feels very skinny to me for some reason. I like it quite a bit. It's smooth and comfortable in the hand. Finally, this putter feels light to me. I don't know why, but it does.

Today's testing:

I intended to go the practice green, but the course was empty, so I just loaded the push cart and took off. I actually took the plastic off on the first green. I wasn't playing a serious round, so I took some extra shots and putts over the nine holes I played.

Since the putter is basically face balanced, I elected to place the ball towards the center of my stance. I've been playing it a ball forward lately, so this and the size of the putter really took a little time to get used to visually.

Oddly, I had one of the better putting rounds I've had in a long time. I sunk a couple that I normally wouldn't, but more importantly, I lipped out or just barely missed a lot of them.

The first putt I took I left short and it took me a few tries to get used to the weight. After that I was dead on with my distance control. I leave MANY putts short and I wasn't having that problem with the Huey. I have to say that it felt very different and looked very different than I'm used to, but the ball really found the intended line and speed easily for me.

Feel/sound is not as plush as the Cleveland, but not as clicky as the TP Mills blade I have. I don't use clicky as a negative term, btw. It's just a good way to describe the sound. The Huey seemed to have a quiet, mid toned click and the putter was pretty expressive to my hands. I could feel the impact in my fingers and it was very nice. In all, I was impressed with this aspect, especially after I got used to the perceived lightness of the putter.

After the nine holes, I spent another ten minutes on the practice green working on lag putts and found the Huey very capable at getting the ball close to the hole.

Looking forward to spending more time with this one. Let me know if you have any questions.

Very nice Hawk! VERY!

I know exactly what you mean in how you are using the term "clicky" its what I always come back to with any Mills I have rolled, its a pleasing thing, not a bad thing. The best thing is its a true Mills trait as both the Carbon and the SS heads have it. Good stuff Hawk!!

Thanks Jman. I'm really surprised how well it performed because my eyes did not like the way it set up at all. Definitely has me really thinking right now. Playing 18 on Sunday, so I'll definitely know more then.

The blade I have definitely is firm and clicky and I like it. It also seems MUCH heavier than this putter. I really wonder how much the grip has to do with the feel.

Nice writ up hawk. The weight difference is likely they center shaft on a male giving you a different swing weight. Love the looks of this and sounds like it suits you well.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Great first review Hawk! I was going to avoid reading any posts about the Huey until after I had my time with and wrote my review, but I'm so excited about the chance to demo this one I wanted to see what people thought already.

Great looking putter. TP Mills does an awesome job and I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say on this one!

BulldogsGolf

I'm glad that I signed up for this. The opportunity to demo a putter over an extended period of time is quite valuable to everyone involved imo.

Great start Hawk!!

I was reading and waiting for how it worked for you in the lag department (after the comments in the SeeMore testing thread) and was glad to see that it sounds like it exceeded your expectations.

This makes me even more excited to get this one in my hands in a few months!!

I actually took some of the ideas from the videos you posted in that thread since it was a center shafted putter. My lag putting has improved a lot recently and I was glad to see that I was able to carry that over to this putter.

Nice feedback Hawk. Just like Jman said, clickly. Well put. The Nellie I have sounds just the same, and Jman can attest for that. It is a great sound, solid putter and I have decreases my putts per round too in only 2 rounds.

That's a pretty good start!

Nice feedback Hawk. Just like Jman said, clickly. Well put. The Nellie I have sounds just the same, and Jman can attest for that. It is a great sound, solid putter and I have decreases my putts per round too in only 2 rounds.

Glad you are digging it, the Anvil series is 1000% legit. So, so, good.

Back