TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Those are some solid thoughts there Hart, nice! I'm still pondering these a bit from when I first hit them at the Outing and all the thoughts in here make me want to hit the ATV again

JR, Haggis, and leavitt - Just finished reading all of your thoughts, really good stuff guys.

JR, I'm glad that your full swings are coming around on this, I've been hoping they would all along since you like it so much greenside. This is looking promising for you, and you gotta love a good range session.
Haggis, you have me really wanting to give the Secret Grip a try (ya prick! hahah)...but I am going to let that review progress before I accept that they are awesome. They need to stan the test of time for you all before I drop the money they are asking for for them for a damn grip.
leavitt, great review, dude. Really good stuff there! I enjoyed reading that. What type of greenside shots do you normally use?

To me, the ATV seems like it has to be a very unique wedge in how it plays in comparison to all of our previous gamers. Why? Almost everyone has loved it from greenside initially, but not on full shots; or visa versa out of the gate. Then, once the person has time to grow into the wedge and adjust to the change, they love it all around. To me, it just seems like the wedge has to be a little different than what we were all playing before, so it's great in some areas out of the box (no adjustment needed) but will require a little adjustment elsewhere (where we initially struggle). I don't see this is a negative thing, I think all new clubs need an adjustment period, it's just a trend I have noticed throughout this thread.

Has anyone else loved it both long and short out of the box? OG maybe?

Played my first full round with the ATV in the bag. It was at Kananaskis Mt. Kidd. I don't care how well you play here you will end up in a bunker at some point. I think the most bunkers on one hole I counted was nine, and they are not small either.

As the breeze was up yesterday and blowing 10-30 mph and swirling in the corner of the valley I found plenty of bunkers.

Sand play with the ATV is awesome. I got out of every bunker in one shot, all day. I even hit one a little thin and thought it would clear the green but it stopped about 20' past where I wanted it to, still on the green.

There was nothing wrong with any full or half swings off the grass either. Especially out of the rough. The turf interaction is awesome. The worst of rough and it cuts through like butter. Like its been said before swing, ball flies to where you aimed, divot pops out, - any lie.

Chipping is coming along. It takes a while with almost any club to get your feel around the greens chipping. Chipping yesterday was good. We will see how it goes today.

JR, Haggis, and leavitt - Just finished reading all of your thoughts, really good stuff guys.

JR, I'm glad that your full swings are coming around on this, I've been hoping they would all along since you like it so much greenside. This is looking promising for you, and you gotta love a good range session.
Haggis, you have me really wanting to give the Secret Grip a try (ya prick! hahah)...but I am going to let that review progress before I accept that they are awesome. They need to stan the test of time for you all before I drop the money they are asking for for them for a damn grip.
leavitt, great review, dude. Really good stuff there! I enjoyed reading that. What type of greenside shots do you normally use?

To me, the ATV seems like it has to be a very unique wedge in how it plays in comparison to all of our previous gamers. Why? Almost everyone has loved it from greenside initially, but not on full shots; or visa versa out of the gate. Then, once the person has time to grow into the wedge and adjust to the change, they love it all around. To me, it just seems like the wedge has to be a little different than what we were all playing before, so it's great in some areas out of the box (no adjustment needed) but will require a little adjustment elsewhere (where we initially struggle). I don't see this is a negative thing, I think all new clubs need an adjustment period, it's just a trend I have noticed throughout this thread.

Has anyone else loved it both long and short out of the box? OG maybe?

Yeah, I was thrilled. Especially from the crappola I was hitting from. There wasn't any rhyme or reason for me hitting the ball that well out of dirt. LOL. I caught 1 or 2 fat out of the 20 or so balls that I hit. I didn't catch any thin. It was nice and felt good, for a change.

Ted, good stuff man...I am loving the ATV out of the sand, I have the confidence I had previously been lacking.

Those are some solid thoughts there Hart, nice! I'm still pondering these a bit from when I first hit them at the Outing and all the thoughts in here make me want to hit the ATV again

Never hurts to give it another shot, dude. I'd say you owe it to yourself to give 'em a chance to win the spot in the bag.

Yeah, I was thrilled. Especially from the crappola I was hitting from. There wasn't any rhyme or reason for me hitting the ball that well out of dirt. LOL. I caught 1 or 2 fat out of the 20 or so balls that I hit. I didn't catch any thin. It was nice and felt good, for a change.

It is always good to have a confidence building range session. Often times that is all you need to change the tide for your results. Looking forward to seeing if the new found success on more full swings carries forward and onto the course for you. If so...look out!

The sand performance I saw is what initially drew my interest to these wedges. I swear I may just get one to use as my 'go to SW'

Ted, good stuff man...I am loving the ATV out of the sand, I have the confidence I had previously been lacking.

Never hurts to give it another shot, dude. I'd say you owe it to yourself to give 'em a chance to win the spot in the bag.

It is always good to have a confidence building range session. Often times that is all you need to change the tide for your results. Looking forward to seeing if the new found success on more full swings carries forward and onto the course for you. If so...look out!

The sand performance I saw is what initially drew my interest to these wedges. I swear I may just get one to use as my 'go to SW'

You currently play some wedges that I loved before the ATV, and honestly, they are the ones planned to purchase before catching wind of the ATV. That said, I think if you went 56° or 58° in the ATV to replace the 56° Cally Forged, you would love it. It would be a perfect compliment to your other wedges, and IMO would benefit you around the green were versatility of the sole is paramount.

Don't get me wrong with what I am about to say, I love my 50° ATV, but that is simply because I personally love the ATV's on full swings...mostly due to the turf interaction that mimics my i20's. Also, I am not very demanding of a 50° wedge as I play pretty straight forward shots with it (full swings and bump and runs). However, if I am being fully transparent, I think the ATV really shines in the higher lofts clubs that are used greenside...this can be witnessed by the differing soles between say a 50° and 56° ATV. The 56° just looks much more versatile than that of the 50°. I will be ordering my 62° in the coming days, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

If I were ever to stray from the ATV's to explore other options, my only allowable club option to replace would be the 50° as it is the "least outstanding of the bunch" - just simply because it is not as head-and-shoulders above it's competitors. It is primarily a full shot club for me, and I would never think of replacing a greenside ATV (56° or higher), so it would be the only one I could even fathom to consider replacing. It is a great club, but for me, if I were to get a strong desire to look elsewhere (I don't have one and probably won't for a while, just speaking in hypotheticals here) it would have to be for the 50°. It just isn't the type of club (for me) that allows the ATV to shine it's brightest seeing that it is really just used on full shots, with the occasional bump and run. I don't manipulate my 50° much at setup, or deviate from standard shots.

Honestly that's a thought I've had a few times...I think that 56* could be more versatile and give me that much more options around the greens like you say. I'm usually a fan of having all my wedges match up but this could be an exception. Do you see any issues with the shaft being different from the others? Especially if I'm thinking about putting Spinners in the Callys

You currently play some wedges that I loved before the ATV, and honestly, they are the ones planned to purchase before catching wind of the ATV. That said, I think if you went 56° or 58° in the ATV to replace the 56° Cally Forged, you would love it. It would be a perfect compliment to your other wedges, and IMO would benefit you around the green were versatility of the sole is paramount.

Don't get me wrong with what I am about to say, I love my 50° ATV, but that is simply because I personally love the ATV's on full swings...mostly due to the turf interaction that mimics my i20's. Also, I am not very demanding of a 50° wedge as I play pretty straight forward shots with it (full swings and bump and runs). However, if I am being fully transparent, I think the ATV really shines in the higher lofts clubs that are used greenside...this can be witnessed by the differing soles between say a 50° and 56° ATV. The 56° just looks much more versatile than that of the 50°. I will be ordering my 62° in the coming days, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

If I were ever to stray from the ATV's to explore other options, my only allowable club option to replace would be the 50° as it is the "least outstanding of the bunch" - just simply because it is not as head-and-shoulders above it's competitors. It is primarily a full shot club for me, and I would never think of replacing a greenside ATV (56° or higher), so it would be the only one I could even fathom to consider replacing. It is a great club, but for me, if I were to get a strong desire to look elsewhere (I don't have one and probably won't for a while, just speaking in hypotheticals here) it would have to be for the 50°. It just isn't the type of club (for me) that allows the ATV to shine it's brightest seeing that it is really just used on full shots, with the occasional bump and run. I don't manipulate my 50° much at setup, or deviate from standard shots.

Getting caught up here. I love my Titleist Vokey 56*. I understand everything it is going to do based upon how I swing and how hard I swing, but it took a summer of work to have that understanding of it. About 6 weeks ago, I hit a dozen or so shots on the range with a 52* ATV, and I loved how natural it felt. It felt like an extension of my body that would take no time to get used to or understand. I'm seeing several more comments in this thread about the club feeling so "natural" and an "extension of one's body or arms." This confirms my belief that the ATV is the real deal. I'm in need of a 52*, and it looks like the Vokey's are going to have some real stiff competition with the ATV on which one my next wedge will be.

Love the reviews everyone!

~Rock

Getting caught up here. I love my Titleist Vokey 56*. I understand everything it is going to do based upon how I swing and how hard I swing, but it took a summer of work to have that understanding of it. About 6 weeks ago, I hit a dozen or so shots on the range with a 52* ATV, and I loved how natural it felt. It felt like an extension of my body that would take no time to get used to or understand. I'm seeing several more comments in this thread about the club feeling so "natural" and an "extension of one's body or arms." This confirms my belief that the ATV is the real deal. I'm in need of a 52*, and it looks like the Vokey's are going to have some real stiff competition with the ATV on which one my next wedge will be.

~Rock

Rock -- I'd say go with the versatility the ATV provides! It's a jewel from all sorts of conditions so why not have a wedge that makes the game less aggravating .

Honestly that's a thought I've had a few times...I think that 56* could be more versatile and give me that much more options around the greens like you say. I'm usually a fan of having all my wedges match up but this could be an exception. Do you see any issues with the shaft being different from the others? Especially if I'm thinking about putting Spinners in the Callys

Go with the KBS HiRev, there is no upcharge for it. I've heard great things about both Spinners and HiRev's, and when asking those who have used both to pick one, they said HiRev.

Maybe go HiRev across the board? Just a thought. Have you used the HiRev in the past?

~Rock

The head weight really helps in this area for making it feel natural. Let us know what shakes out from your current ponder!

I have used both and love both. Ball flight isn't so much of a concern for me since I can 'get it up' easily. the issue for me becomes spin to hold a green if the ball flight isn't just right. I seem to get more spin from the Spinners but the HiRevs feel so damn good.

Go with the KBS HiRev, there is no upcharge for it. I've heard great things about both Spinners and HiRev's, and when asking those who have used both to pick one, they said HiRev.

Maybe go HiRev across the board? Just a thought. Have you used the HiRev in the past?

The head weight really helps in this area for making it feel natural. Let us know what shakes out from your current ponder!

I have used both and love both. Ball flight isn't so much of a concern for me since I can 'get it up' easily. the issue for me becomes spin to hold a green if the ball flight isn't just right. I seem to get more spin from the Spinners but the HiRevs feel so damn good.

You almost have me wishing we had some sand to play out of, lol. I would almost be afraid to go with the spinner shafts, these things spin crazy well right now.

Picked up my 52* w/high rev yesterday to match my 56. Only problem is, it is a bazillion degrees here so it may be a while before I get to put it in play. Coming from cg15's, the 56* ATV is significantly better for me on full shots (which I prefer to take when possible). With that said, I am considering the 60* as well.

Congrats on the pickup, DTL.

If it were me, since you like the HiRev's, I would go with those (order that was for the ATV, then add to the Cally') to stay as uniform as possible across the board on wedges. But then again, I am a homer for KBS as I love their shafts, sooo...

Picked up my 52* w/high rev yesterday to match my 56. Only problem is, it is a bazillion degrees here so it may be a while before I get to put it in play. Coming from cg15's, the 56* ATV is significantly better for me on full shots (which I prefer to take when possible). With that said, I am considering the 60* as well.

That's awesome, I may be doing the same as you soon, the ATV is such a great wedge for me! Enjoy it!

Rock -- I'd say go with the versatility the ATV provides! It's a jewel from all sorts of conditions so why not have a wedge that makes the game less aggravating .

Yes, I am leaning towards the ATV for sure. Everything I've been reading here confirms that the 'no bounce' concept is as versatile as they claim it to be, plus that all natural I feel while swinging it. While I lean towards ATV, I'd have to swing both side by side to know for sure.

~Rock

You almost have me wishing we had some sand to play out of, lol. I would almost be afraid to go with the spinner shafts, these things spin crazy well right now.

Really? So you think these would
Spin too much with a Spinner in it? Mind you I'm not a big spinner of the ball as it is so maybe the HiRev would be fine for me

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Congrats on the pickup, DTL.

If it were me, since you like the HiRev's, I would go with those (order that was for the ATV, then add to the Cally') to stay as uniform as possible across the board on wedges. But then again, I am a homer for KBS as I love their shafts, sooo...

You've Got me leaning towards HiRevs again...darn you!

About to head out for 9 holes. Hopefully this club does me better than last time out...

Based on what I've seen out of the ATVs over the past couple of weeks, I've decided to sell my 50 & 56 degree Cleveland 588s. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Go with the Hi Revs dude, they rock! That is what is in my 56* im getting.

TrollFaceDancing.gif

About to head out for 9 holes. Hopefully this club does me better than last time out...

Let us know how it goes, DK!

Based on what I've seen out of the ATVs over the past couple of weeks, I've decided to sell my 50 & 56 degree Cleveland 588s. Never thought I'd be saying that.

Another one bites the dust, good stuff Haggis. 588's are very solid wedges, so I think this says a lot.

No kidding, in two rounds from just getting out to0 planning where to land it..... Today was good, played the Mt. Lorette course and missed getting out of one bunker.

As for the rest, I used my well loved 60 once today and the 56 carried the rest of the load from about 90 yds. in. I think I might be going back to two (three with pitching) wedges.

Posted my best round of the year so far too...(86)

No kidding, in two rounds from just getting out to0 planning where to land it..... Today was good, played the Mt. Lorette course and missed getting out of one bunker.

As for the rest, I used my well loved 60 once today and the 56 carried the rest of the load from about 90 yds. in. I think I might be going back to two (three with pitching) wedges.

Posted my best round of the year so far too...(86)

Dang Ted! You rocking you some ATV wedges and bringing the scores down too :bananadance:

Really? So you think these would
Spin too much with a Spinner in it? Mind you I'm not a big spinner of the ball as it is so maybe the HiRev would be fine for me

Is hate to say for someone else's game, but I get plenty it seems with these.

Back