TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Yeaaah, buddy. Good stuff, glad things are coming together. Have you continued working on the holding of the lag with chips/pitches? If so, how is that working out?

I am getting the HiRev in my 62°, which I will likely be ordering within a week as well. If you get yours sooner, please please please get some thoughts up in here so I can hear a little something about it. I'm excited to try the shaft, if it's half as good as it is in my mind...it'll be all world.

Working great man. I just get my distances mixed up sometimes but Im getting close. I had two chips early in my round that I forgot my swing thought on and chunked them. After that it was 'stay aggressive' and I had no issues.

Yeaaah, buddy. Good stuff, glad things are coming together. Have you continued working on the holding of the lag with chips/pitches? If so, how is that working out?

I am getting the HiRev in my 62°, which I will likely be ordering within a week as well. If you get yours sooner, please please please get some thoughts up in here so I can hear a little something about it. I'm excited to try the shaft, if it's half as good as it is in my mind...it'll be all world.
I wont be ordering it till next friday so should have it sometime around 8-10th of Aug. Might do overnight or 2 day shipping though hehe.

Working great man. I just get my distances mixed up sometimes but Im getting close. I had two chips early in my round that I forgot my swing thought on and chunked them. After that it was 'stay aggressive' and I had no issues.

Good deal, bro...that is what I like to hear. My next shot I will be posting up is a pretty cool one, the pro at Firestone that I took lessons off of in high school taught me it. It's about the only thing I took away from my lessons with him...everything else I was stubborn and just continued to do it my own way (which is why I don't take lessons anymore, haha).

I wont be ordering it till next friday so should have it sometime around 8-10th of Aug. Might do overnight or 2 day shipping though hehe.

Right on. August 8th is my bday, which is my target for having the wedge in (I'm burning some bday money on it)...so we might be getting it around the same time.

Good deal, bro...that is what I like to hear. My next shot I will be posting up is a pretty cool one, the pro at Firestone that I took lessons off of in high school taught me it. It's about the only thing I took away from my lessons with him...everything else I was stubborn and just continued to do it my own way (which is why I don't take lessons anymore, haha).

Right on. August 8th is my bday, which is my target for having the wedge in (I'm burning some bday money on it)...so we might be getting it around the same time.
I will put my thoughts in here for sure as long as you testers dont mind. I promise I will make it short and sweet and not clog your thread lol.

I will put my thoughts in here for sure as long as you testers dont mind. I promise I will make it short and sweet and not clog your thread lol.

Clog away, man! The more info and the more sources the info comes from in this thread, the better. Look at the i20 thread, it was great because in addition to a great job by the testers, many many members stepped up and added their thoughts in as well.

Just getting caught up after being away on vacation this past weekend. Great job as usual guys and its awesome to see so many "ponders" turn into purchases.

I watched Hart's recent video and am going to try really hard to take some of that to the range, and hopefully to the course. My experience with the wedge has been, there is entirely too much good packed in to dwell on the small things holding me back. The main work I have put in with the wedge of late has centered around trying to get more consistent from tight, dead, hard lies. I struggle from here, and if you gave me 10 shots, I am hitting 3 fat, 4 thin, and 3 perfect. I can deal with the fatties, its those thin rockets over the green that make me want to pull my hair out. Some thin shots have worked out for me, as I have been able to get the ball to bite pretty hard on the green, before things get hairy. Where this wedge continues to stand out, and I keep going back to where the wedge stands out should perk up the eyes and ears of the mid to high handicap player, is from the rough, and around the greens. Face it, we miss greens, and we miss fairways, and it's nice to have a wedge that simply performs from the areas where we miss the most. Around the green, this wedge has saved me many of strokes, that in the past with other wedges, I have managed to throw away. When I am around the green, doing little touch and runs, or little chips, it's not a matter of "if I can make this", it's mostly, "I will make this", or "I am going to save this hole by putting it close enough to save par/bogey". It's a nice confidence to have.

I just want a break in the heat at this point. We got home on Sunday night and the plan was to go to the range around 7 PM. Well, it was still 102 degrees at 7 PM. And we have no relief until Thursday, at the earliest. 104 tomorrow, 105 on Wednesday. We MAY play on Wednesday, and if so, I will post my thoughts that evening or Thursday evening.

Keep up the great work, everyone.

This is the thing that I love about the ATV, i've been working on some swing changes since I got it as well as tempo-my backswing is way too slow that the club pro says I'm swinging like 50%-yet the ATV is adaptable to my swing and I have been able to get solid contact in many lies especially the deep rough that all of you have seen in my videos. The strange look of the ATV has really grown on me and this wedge is key to my short game. I also have been working on a correct chipping technique that Hart suggested and it has been a bit tough for me but the wedge has helped me tremendously. Before my chips were really low and now they go a bit higher and land softer so they don't run out as much but I know that I can manipulate the shot easily by opening the face or "delofting" the wedge without worrying about improper bounce for that shot.

There is one hole that I fear at my home course. It's a dog leg left par 5 where that approach to the green slopes up really steep and it's easy to hit short and miss into a bunker or hit too far and miss into the deepest rough with the hardest ground. I tend to miss the green here but every time I have missed I have been able to hit close to the hole on one try with the ATV, wether it's in the sand bunker or the deep rough, I don't worry anymore about having to take multiple strokes to hit into the green like before.

Like I've mentioned before, I love the way the wedge looks-before it was kind of freaky for me but my opinion has really changed about the way it looks. Sure it's strange to see such a huge sole and but at address it has to be one of the cleanest top lines I've seen in a long time and I've played with Vokeys, Cleveland wedges as well as game improvement wedges from my burner 2.0 and 1.0 sets.

I must admit that I have never been as confident as now. This wedge has helped my game tremendously. Like I've said many times when I hit a nice tee shot and left myself about 100 yard from the green, I would be scared of the shot and hit it thin or fat or leave it where it was losing many strokes when I could have been on the green easily but now, with this wedge I don't worry about chunking the ball and I swing with confidence and the results are there. I have never been so accurate with this wedge and like I have shown in my videos, I have been closer to the hole every time.

I will try to play another round this week but may be stuck just practicing since the rain-yes rain in NM-has been un predictable this last month.

Played my first round with the 52 and 58. Didn't even take these to the range first. All I can say is wow! By far the easiest to hit and most control I've ever had with a wedge. The 52 was money from around 100 out, high trajectory and butter soft landing and little roll on the green. Hit a flop off a nasty downhill lie with the 58 with little margin for error on the green and landed it right where I was aiming. By far a huge upgrade with these over the Vokeys I used to play. These are seriously the most versatile wedges I've ever played. Only 18 holes with them and I have total confidence in taking a full rip with them. Amazing clubs. So happy they had them used when I went to buy the 588's. Not as good looking as the 588's but wow they perform.

Played my first round with the 52 and 58. Didn't even take these to the range first. All I can say is wow! By far the easiest to hit and most control I've ever had with a wedge. The 52 was money from around 100 out, high trajectory and butter soft landing and little roll on the green. Hit a flop off a nasty downhill lie with the 58 with little margin for error on the green and landed it right where I was aiming. By far a huge upgrade with these over the Vokeys I used to play. These are seriously the most versatile wedges I've ever played. Only 18 holes with them and I have total confidence in taking a full rip with them. Amazing clubs. So happy they had them used when I went to buy the 588's. Not as good looking as the 588's but wow they perform.

That's great! The last 56 that I had was a Vokey and I'm super glad that I switched over to the ATV. The ATV is really enjoyable to play with

Just a question, did you hit any fat or chunks at all with the wedge?

Uriel, glad to hear that your confidence in the wedge has improved your game. I'm in the same boat and feel the same way with the ATV.

I hope to get to the range in a couple of hours. The first day it stop raining for over a week but i've been dying to get more time with the ATV.

I didn't hit any flat. I bladed one badly when the ball was below my feet, that was just a case of a sore back and not wanting to get down on it. I got too far under one shot where the ball was propped up in the rough and sent it straight up about 10 yards when I needed to go 25. They smoke my 10 year old Vokeys. Like I said this was my first time out with no practice whatsoever and I have 3x the confidence with these than I ever had with the Vokeys.

I didn't hit any flat. I bladed one badly when the ball was below my feet, that was just a case of a sore back and not wanting to get down on it. I got too far under one shot where the ball was propped up in the rough and sent it straight up about 10 yards when I needed to go 25. They smoke my 10 year old Vokeys. Like I said this was my first time out with no practice whatsoever and I have 3x the confidence with these than I ever had with the Vokeys.

Very nice that you adapted so quickly. A few of us had to wear training wheels it seemed like, at least for the first few shots with the ATV. I know my first time out, I was sliding right under everything. Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Feelin' the ATV love in here grow stronger and wider each day. Love it.

Serious ATV love here, my stepdad was with me and after the 5th or sixth hole he started asking where I got it and how much!

When it's propped up, I've found setting up with the club about a ball behind the ball works best to avoid that dreaded high face shot, the sole of the ATV helps to bottom out and get you back to good position...this is a pretty common way to play these shots.

Serious ATV love here, my stepdad was with me and after the 5th or sixth hole he started asking where I got it and how much!

haha, nice!

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a shot next time. So excited about these clubs.

It's the real deal so go ATV!

It's the real deal so go ATV!

Feelin' the ATV love in here grow stronger and wider each day. Love it.

Yep the ATV wedge is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol :thumb:. I'm hoping to get my 58 degree added to my bag by this weekend. :blob: I will say that although I love the stock grip, I will be replacing it with a mid size Golf Pride Tour Wrap. I have them on all of my clubs and the ATV wedge will have a new pair of pants by this weekend :D

I finally got some ATV love out of the sand today. And even got a save out of one of them. I have trouble when I open the face up so I just took normal type swings making sure to hit behind the ball into the sand. Popped right out each time except one where I had some sand issues. Shot my best score of this year, an 83 and the ATV was a huge part of that. I have the utmost confidence in it from around 60 yards and in. Its automatic from the rough and green side its as versatile as having your own Tmex to hit for you. I just cant put it into words just how good this wedge has been for me so far.

Yep the ATV wedge is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol :thumb:. I'm hoping to get my 58 degree added to my bag by this weekend. :blob: I will say that although I love the stock grip, I will be replacing it with a mid size Golf Pride Tour Wrap. I have them on all of my clubs and the ATV wedge will have a new pair of pants by this weekend :D

I finally got some ATV love out of the sand today. And even got a save out of one of them. I have trouble when I open the face up so I just took normal type swings making sure to hit behind the ball into the sand. Popped right out each time except one where I had some sand issues. Shot my best score of this year, an 83 and the ATV was a huge part of that. I have the utmost confidence in it from around 60 yards and in. Its automatic from the rough and green side its as versatile as having your own Tmex to hit for you. I just cant put it into words just how good this wedge has been for me so far.

Good stuff, guys! OG, I bet the ATV will love the new pair of pants since they will be more "normal" and comfortable for you. IMO, on a wedge, the comfort level of the grip is paramount as it is a very feel based club. Kmac, that is great man...congrats on the low round! It is such a sweet feeling knowing you have a wedge you are confident in to clean up the mess you create for it.

Had some super success with full shots tonight at the range. And I was purposely placing my ball, well, in dirt and I was flushing them out of there, no problems. They felt terrific. I could really feel myself compressing the ball and it had a nice, "THWACK" to it at impact (Sorry, that's the best way I can find to describe it). Shots were consistently going high with a slight fade and topping out between 100 and 110 yards. I am VERY encouraged after this, because I have struggled on full shots with the ATV pretty badly going into tonight. Also had some fun hitting half shots to a flag stick about 60 yards out. I always seem to flight these shots too low, but my distances were good and if it were an actual green I was shooting at, I think I would have had some pretty nice results. If I can begin to get more consistent with my full shots, this wedge is going to be a life saver. I already love it for around the greens, and if I can incorporate full shot consistency, I am going to be head over heels in love with this thing.

Had some super success with full shots tonight at the range. And I was purposely placing my ball, well, in dirt and I was flushing them out of there, no problems. They felt terrific. I could really feel myself compressing the ball and it had a nice, "THWACK" to it at impact (Sorry, that's the best way I can find to describe it). Shots were consistently going high with a slight fade and topping out between 100 and 110 yards. I am VERY encouraged after this, because I have struggled on full shots with the ATV pretty badly going into tonight. Also had some fun hitting half shots to a flag stick about 60 yards out. I always seem to flight these shots too low, but my distances were good and if it were an actual green I was shooting at, I think I would have had some pretty nice results. If I can begin to get more consistent with my full shots, this wedge is going to be a life saver. I already love it for around the greens, and if I can incorporate full shot consistency, I am going to be head over heels in love with this thing.

Wow, sounds like lots of success going down today. Great round Kmac, that says a ton all by itself!

Played my first round tonight with the ATV wedges with the secret grips on them. I didn't have a lot of opportunites to play short wedges; however, on the second hole I was 30 yards off the green to an uphill pin that was 10 yards on the green and I hit it great to 7 feet. Couple of holes later I had 40 yards to another front pin that was maybe 10 feet on and it sloped away and I put my 56 to 15 feet, which was good considering. I had greenside in rough with the 56 to a pin that was 15 feet on that I put to 8 feet (nothing stellar there). Bottom line is I liked how this combo played out for me tonight.

I've now had my ATV's for about 2 weeks, and now have 4 rounds on them, so I feel I can give them a fairly thorough talking about(I can't bring myself to call it a review in comparison to IHWT's reviews) :clapp: I will start from longest shot to shortest shot. I have a 50, 54, and 58*, standard length, lie, loft, and standard grips. If this is in the wrong section since I'm not an actual tester, please move as appropriate.

I will preface all of this by saying, I love that these come standard with KBS tour wedge flex shafts. My biggest problem with my old wedges was they were standard flex, and they just whipped around on me (my SS is 109). I have KBS Tour X-flex on my irons, so having the KBS shafts on the wedges adds a level of confidence.

Full-Shot - 10/10 - The full shot is what I have been using the most, my 50 range is about 120-130, 54 is about 110-120, and 58 is about 100-110. Out of the fairway, these feel like...well, I can't start to describe how great these feel. It's almost like the club is part of my body, it really is almost as simple as point and click. I line up, and just know that I'm going to hit it solid. As long as I don't change my swing form, it is going exactly where I'm pointed. Full shot high loft, full shot knock down they both do great. The high loft swing spins my ball back between 1-10 feet depending on the ball I'm using. With my knock-down shot, It runs out maybe 2 feet and stops. These distances and shots are my go to's on most par 4's. My course averages 380-450 yard par 4's, and my average drive is 290-330, so the majority of my approaches are with the ATV and full shot. These give me the utmost confidence, and my scores have showed it. I have been 1 putting more in these 4 rounds than I have my entire life. Rarely am I left with more than 10 feet from the pin. And that's from the fairway. Where these ATV's really shine, is in the thick stuff. I don't lose any distance, I have nearly as much spin, and the feel is just as good from the rough. These clubs really shine in the rough. The absolute best all-around, everywhere club I have in the bag.

Partial swing - 9/10 - These are my shots that I enjoy the most, the ones that require the most thought and finesse. The standard grips on these clubs makes it a whole bunch easier to gauge your distances. There are 2 dots to align your low hand thumb on, and it averages 1 - 1 1/2 inches choked down on the grip, effectively dropping 5 yards off your shot. My biggest "problem" I have, is whether to choke down and swing full, or to keep full length grip and not swing as big...ya, I know, what a problem to have :egyptian:. The reason I only give this a 9 is because I haven't been able to dial my distances in very well with this swing style. I am usually a little short or long of my target, and I don't know if it's because I'm changing my swing due to choking down, or not having my hands in the same spot, or just not knowing exactly how far they will fly.

Sand - Undetermined - I have an awful sand game, and have only ended up in the sand once over the past 4 rounds :blob:. That one time I ended up in the sand, I was beyond buried, and it took me 3 shots to get out. I blame that on me and my awful sand game, not the club.

Greenside - 6.5/10 - This is the one area I am not completely impressed with by these clubs. With my old clubs, I would take a little 10 yard chip, or a fringe chip, and put it within 5 feet of the pin. With the ATV's I'm having quite a bit of trouble. With having such a small/shortened swing, I'm either getting too far under these if they are in the rough just off the green, and they are going maybe 5 feet, or I'm thinning them, and they are going off the other edge of the green. I've tried both the 54 and the 58 for these shots, and the 58 is a little better, but by no means is it like my old wedges.

I will gladly take any advice for my greenside game with the ATV's. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask.

Dan

JR, Haggis, and leavitt - Just finished reading all of your thoughts, really good stuff guys.

JR, I'm glad that your full swings are coming around on this, I've been hoping they would all along since you like it so much greenside. This is looking promising for you, and you gotta love a good range session.
Haggis, you have me really wanting to give the Secret Grip a try (ya prick! hahah)...but I am going to let that review progress before I accept that they are awesome. They need to stan the test of time for you all before I drop the money they are asking for for them for a damn grip.
leavitt, great review, dude. Really good stuff there! I enjoyed reading that. What type of greenside shots do you normally use?

To me, the ATV seems like it has to be a very unique wedge in how it plays in comparison to all of our previous gamers. Why? Almost everyone has loved it from greenside initially, but not on full shots; or visa versa out of the gate. Then, once the person has time to grow into the wedge and adjust to the change, they love it all around. To me, it just seems like the wedge has to be a little different than what we were all playing before, so it's great in some areas out of the box (no adjustment needed) but will require a little adjustment elsewhere (where we initially struggle). I don't see this is a negative thing, I think all new clubs need an adjustment period, it's just a trend I have noticed throughout this thread.

Has anyone else loved it both long and short out of the box? OG maybe?

OG, thanks buddy.

IHWT, I dont think so. Seems everyone loves one or the other and then it takes some practice time to work it out. Im in the love the green side shots with it and Im good up to about 3/4 swings and still working on the full swings. And Id say "working" as in using that word lightly because I dont always take a big, full swing with my wedges.

Back