TaylorMade BRNR Mini Driver

Yeah, it's like Phil putting that 2 wood or whatever in for certain places. And I'm not opposed to having specific use clubs, but this is a specific use that I just have not use for. Fairway woods are insanely good these days. So much so that I don't even carry any longer than a 5W. And if I can't hit driver off the tee that 5W is plenty long enough while staying short of whatever kept me from hitting driver. And I just never see any of these actually in play. I don't see the need for this to even be made really. I'm curious how much money they make on them by the time the R&D and production and marketing is all done. I talked to a couple places here about them because I remembered the last ones not selling. They basically said they have to put them out. I mostly just ignore these at this point.
I need mine to keep up with your 5W 😂

i thought a mini driver would be "easier" than a standard driver...it's not and i am just fine with a driver and 3W. but the internet in me always tells me "you should buy this club."

They are crazy for ever going away from this logo.

1681751871836.png

That's what .. actual drivers? are for.
I play most of my rounds at my home course so I'm tending to setup my bag for that. In solo rounds and in the club championship every year I play the black tees at 6900-7000. In all our other member tournaments and my weekly Fri/Sat game we play the yellow tees at 6500. From the black tees I hit 8 to 12 drivers and 0 to 5 3Ws off the tee depending on conditions. From the yellow tees I hit 3 to 8 drivers and 1 to 9 3Ws. Using your Driver and 5W numbers on the black tees I'd hit 6 to 7 Ds and 5 to 7 5Ws, and on the yellow tees I'd hit 3 Ds and 1 to 4 5Ws, and I agree a 3W/mini driver would be fairly pointless.

Shot Scope napkin math says I hit 3W for an approach shot 0.25-0.75 times per round. When I travel to play with friends we're typically playing in the 6400-6700 range and the club selection tends to work out similar to the yellow tees at home. I gamed an LTDx 3W for the Morgan Cup and it was slightly better off the deck, but was definitely less confident off the tee with it compared to a mini driver. I'd like to practice with a strong 3W off the tee for aesthetic reasons and to have something slightly better off the deck, but I feel like there are better things to spend my practice time on at the moment. I don't really feel like I'm leaving any functional forgiveness on the table with a 300cc 13.5° mini driver vs a 460cc 12-13° standard driver, and wouldn't be able to hit the 2nd driver as well the few times a year I have a 250 yard approach shot where 3 wood type shot will work with low consequences. In the past I've started the bag with a 4W/2h type club, and that is accurate for me off the tee, but on my home course I'm laying back an extra 15-20 yards of where I need to which adds up if I'm hitting less than driver a bunch in a round.

I play most of my rounds at my home course so I'm tending to setup my bag for that. In solo rounds and in the club championship every year I play the black tees at 6900-7000. In all our other member tournaments and my weekly Fri/Sat game we play the yellow tees at 6500. From the black tees I hit 8 to 12 drivers and 0 to 5 3Ws off the tee depending on conditions. From the yellow tees I hit 3 to 8 drivers and 1 to 9 3Ws. Using your Driver and 5W numbers on the black tees I'd hit 6 to 7 Ds and 5 to 7 5Ws, and on the yellow tees I'd hit 3 Ds and 1 to 4 5Ws, and I agree a 3W/mini driver would be fairly pointless.

Shot Scope napkin math says I hit 3W for an approach shot 0.25-0.75 times per round. When I travel to play with friends we're typically playing in the 6400-6700 range and the club selection tends to work out similar to the yellow tees at home. I gamed an LTDx 3W for the Morgan Cup and it was slightly better off the deck, but was definitely less confident off the tee with it compared to a mini driver. I'd like to practice with a strong 3W off the tee for aesthetic reasons and to have something slightly better off the deck, but I feel like there are better things to spend my practice time on at the moment. I don't really feel like I'm leaving any functional forgiveness on the table with a 300cc 13.5° mini driver vs a 460cc 12-13° standard driver, and wouldn't be able to hit the 2nd driver as well the few times a year I have a 250 yard approach shot where 3 wood type shot will work with low consequences. In the past I've started the bag with a 4W/2h type club, and that is accurate for me off the tee, but on my home course I'm laying back an extra 15-20 yards of where I need to which adds up if I'm hitting less than driver a bunch in a round.
What's the gap between your Driver and 3W?

The bubble shaft was my first proper driver so I’m all over that colour scheme. Mini drivers have no place in my bag, but my buddy has seen a massive improvement off the tee after swapping out his driver for a mini driver earlier in the year.

looks nice!!

Interesting of ghem to do this. I tgought the mini driver was just going to fade away. I like the looks of this and sounds like some interesting updates tech wise. Not a fan of that headcover though.

What's the gap between your Driver and 3W?
35-40ish between driver and a 15° 3W off the tee. I hit my 13.5° mini about 10-15 yards longer than 3W off the the tee. Below is the 2022 comparison. The 272 P-avg seems a little higher than what I typically see

1681754955881.png

Did not see there was an option to pre-order this. I went ahead and placed a pre-order for the 11.5. Can't wait!

I’ll swing it but the club in itself is just confusing. Seems like it would be a nightmare for most off the deck.

35-40ish between driver and a 15° 3W off the tee. I hit my 13.5° mini about 10-15 yards longer than 3W off the the tee. Below is the 2022 comparison. The 272 P-avg seems a little higher than what I typically see

View attachment 9172144
Okay, I could see the benefit for you. That's a pretty big gap between driver and 3W, and it looks like you try to take advantage of the the in between yardage at your course. I think that would take familiarity to utilize too. I know when I can't use a driver, it's because I need to be well short of that number for some type of penalty reason. I can't afford to aim for a yardage between your 3W and driver and hope I don't get roll out, or accidentally juice one over a spot I don't know extremely well. It never works out. One mistake is too much. And I have zero use for a 3W or mini into a green.

I can't justify the price on it, but considering I only hit 12 clubs a round on average (almost never hit the fairway I carry.. 5 iron is way less than 50/50), I could find a spot in my bag. Even if it is only a 2nd driver.

How much stock do folks put in the CG location being closer to the shaft axis makes it easier to square up? Or is it mostly the shorter shaft?

I’ve been a mini fan in the past as long as there is an open slot in my bag. I’m not sure that’s the case right now but I love the color scheme they went with here esp the headcover. Similar to the 50th anniversary cobra driver headcover, it offers a good bit of nostalgia.

This is a great adaptation of retro looks in a modern package. I think it looks phenomenal. I always look at mini-drivers and think that would be so easy to use. But, there’s a little voice in my head that says, “hey, you have trouble hitting a golf ball with something twice as big, put it down.” I would love to try one at some point though. I like the head cover.
I think the smaller head actually helps me square the face much more consistently

I think the smaller head actually helps me square the face much more consistently
I definitely feel the smaller head allows me to close it to square. Previously, I was sending everything right, along with battling a slice since 1987. I feel this club gets back to square soooo much better for me. I also feel comfortable enough with it to give it a good strong swing, unlike my driver, where I half-swung it just to keep it out of the right rough/trouble.

Looks great... but, doubtful that I would ever purchase a “mini” driver.

Brought one home today. The head cover looks better in hand that in the photos. Have never been comfortable with the look of a 460 driver, and can’t keep a 3 wood down to save my life, even the 13 degree ones. This should be a match made in heaven.

Looks cool, but I already have a 13.5 degree 2nd driver. 12 degree Mizuno STX turned up to 13.5 degrees.
I'd have about the same success hitting either one off the deck.......... yea, none.

Looks cool, but I already have a 13.5 degree 2nd driver. 12 degree Mizuno STX turned up to 13.5 degrees.
I'd have about the same success hitting either one off the deck.......... yea, none.
I’ve hit my mini off the deck a handful of times with surprising success. That said I generally just use it off the tee but I’ve experimented a couple times and it went well

I wonder if I could hit this off the deck?

name is silly but the club looks nice. cover would have to be replaced instantly

I'm a registered Taylormade mini driver ho.

• Bought an Aeroburner mini, sold it
  • Bought an SLDR mini, gave it to my dad (he's once of those twice-a-year type golfers and loves it)
  • Bought another Aeroburner mini, sold it.
  • Bought a 300 mini, and gaming it right now.
For me, it comes down to being a short guy with no swing speed. :ROFLMAO: At 5'7", I play standard length shafts in everything, but taking an inch or two off the driver definitely doesn't hurt. And my optimal launch angle is so high that playing an 11* driver doesn't kill me on distance.

I am actually planning to book some GCQuad time this week for a driver war. See how the 300 Mini compares to my 9.5* M4 teed way up.

Anyway! That's the long way of saying that I love what Taylormade's doing with the BRNR and I'd like to see them keep fighting the good and short fight.

Also, these clubs are horrible to hit off the deck, don't even try it. The Aeroburner mini gave a little thought to being a FW, with a narrower face and a lower sweet spot, and it sucked to hit off the deck. I could never do it, and neither could a lot better players than me such as Rick Shiels. These newer models just straight gave up on it. They're tee clubs.

Last edited:
Back