Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
TaylorMade golf is in an interesting place right now, while they certainly still push innovation, there is also a definite affinity for sequels and throwback homage designs in recent years. The latest is a tip of the cap to the TiBubble 2 driver that was among the most successful designs ever during early era of metalwoods. How are they honoring that legacy? With a mini driver of course, the all new TaylorMade BRNR Mini Driver to be exact.

Continue reading...

Looks really nice. Not my thing, but the design and color scheme is right there.

It's an interesting club with around a 3 wood length shaft and smaller clubhead than driver so maybe easier to turn over, but more forgiveness than a traditional 3 wood.

As a person that has played two drivers in the bag for many many years, the mini segment is always intriguing. Easier to turn over in some cases, but still not as versatile as a fairway wood and not as forgiving, generally speaking, as a driver head.

I like the looks of this one quite a bit.

I remember when a 305cc head was considered to be gigantic. But with a “traditional” 43.5” shaft this could be very effective.

as someone who hasn't used a 3w in years, the mini driver is such a perfect fit in my bag. About 25 yards shorter than driver and way easier to control. Since the Original One I've found the mini drivers to be way more accurate and forgiving than driver

Interesting choice on only a 2g difference between the weights. I would rather have 20g in back and maybe 8 - 10g in front

Great review. This cracked me up:

"The BRNR Mini Driver may have lost all of its vowels, but it didn’t lose track of the main goals of this type of club. "

• Staff
I enjoy mini drivers, then again, I don’t have any issues hitting them off the deck so I don’t lose much versatility.

I love the look. I played a Burner for a long time, and having a more accurate 2nd driver in the bag is appealing to me. Never had a mini driver though.

I still play my Original One from time to time. I didn’t really like the 300 Mini all that much. But as an older style Burner fan this looks like a possible upgrade. Maybe next year they will take the plunge and make a blacked out Stealth Mini. Because that would get my attention for sure. Well done TM. For now!

I like this offering a lot. It looks great and is real nostalgic

Great review. This cracked me up:

"The BRNR Mini Driver may have lost all of its vowels, but it didn’t lose track of the main goals of this type of club. "
That was also my first giggle of the morning.

Who needs vowels when you have goals.

I enjoy mini drivers, then again, I don’t have any issues hitting them off the deck so I don’t lose much versatility.
That was my actual question here.

I know JB and a some others have toyed with it or actually done it but what is the absolute advantage of this over a 3w for example? If it's harder to hit off the deck it really limits the potential and I don't know many that would replace their only driver in the bag with one of these unless maybe they are playing a course they really overpower.

I could also have missed the loft, but who is the market to get sold on this instead of a 3/5w? What does it deliver that those clubs do not or would not do for the average hacker?

That was my actual question here.

I know JB and a some others have toyed with it or actually done it but what is the absolute advantage of this over a 3w for example? If it's harder to hit off the deck it really limits the potential and I don't know many that would replace their only driver in the bag with one of these unless maybe they are playing a course they really overpower.

I could also have missed the loft, but who is the market to get sold on this instead of a 3/5w? What does it deliver that those clubs do not or would not do for the average hacker?
Fairway wood off the deck for many golfers is a very low percentage shot. If someone it using this primarily they can have something more forgiving and faster.

I am in the camp you mentioned that feels a traditional driver head is just too big and harder for me to control. I started using the 300 mini a year and a half ago or so with game changing results. I still had bad days with it, but for the most part I hit it really well and the confidence it gave me off the tee was nothing I had ever felt

Before I actually read the article, I looked at the pretty pictures.

That is without a doubt one of the dumbest looking headcovers I've seen in a while.
It definitely gave me a double take.

Mini drivers are an interesting concept to me. If there wasn't a club limit I would definitely bag one but have a hard time seeing how it could fit in otherwise.

Fairway wood off the deck for many golfers is a very low percentage shot. If someone it using this primarily they can have something more forgiving and faster.
I know I can't hit mine to save my soul - the hybrid has been my solution for that.

Good to know that this could help support that spot in the bag and potentially give me another off the tee on a long par 3 option.

I find it kind of funny that of all things to give a nod to the past, TaylorMade went mini driver with the look of a driver that probably shared a similar CC back in the day. I think that's a very smart connection to make, considering how crazy it'd look at 460cc to our nostalgic brains.

It looks pretty fantastic, for what it's worth.

Also to add, I love the look of this one. It will likely find it's way to my bag eventually for the tighter holes as a 2nd driver

I am getting that spot of my bag dialed in so it likely won't find it's way to me but I really enjoy the look and coloring of this one.

Digging the throwback, minus the headcover, that should be burned on the first tee to warm your hands during a winter round.

This is a great adaptation of retro looks in a modern package. I think it looks phenomenal. I always look at mini-drivers and think that would be so easy to use. But, there’s a little voice in my head that says, “hey, you have trouble hitting a golf ball with something twice as big, put it down.” I would love to try one at some point though. I like the head cover.

Back