Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

the 2.0's are hitting the course again today. i will also be playing with the bridgestone tour b330 ball!!! this will only be my 2nd round with these and i am excited to see if what i learned the first time out follows over into today. i will update this evening.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts, both on the Burners and the B330 ball. I think you'll love them both!

the 2.0's are hitting the course again today. i will also be playing with the bridgestone tour b330 ball!!! this will only be my 2nd round with these and i am excited to see if what i learned the first time out follows over into today. i will update this evening.

Look forward to your thoughts FLTC. I played Saturday in a hurricane with golf4life and when I have more time I'll be adding some thoughts myself. Real quick, I was again very impressed with the Burners, specifically how I could hold a line into the wind. The penetrating ball flight was evident and very helpful. Tried the 3I a couple times off the tee as the windy conditions were perfect for it but I kept pulling it way left. Distance was good though. More later.

hey TC, are you still backed away from the ball a bit? How is the ball flight?

How did you do OEM? Other than the errant 3i shots? Driver?

Played yesterday with the 2.0's and am still dialing in the distances but they are just so nice. Every time you play with these sticks you like them a little more.

hey TC, are you still backed away from the ball a bit? How is the ball flight?

How did you do OEM? Other than the errant 3i shots? Driver?

Dude the wind was worse then the Champions course in FL. It was terrible. But we took the attitude of shot making and being creative so it was fun. I shot a 91 which I was actually pretty happy with but my driver was terrible. Still struggling with it. The wind was so bad balls were moving on the greens and gof4life even had one fall off the tee mid swing. Never seen that before.

Dude the wind was worse then the Champions course in FL. It was terrible. But we took the attitude of shot making and being creative so it was fun. I shot a 91 which I was actually pretty happy with but my driver was terrible. Still struggling with it. The wind was so bad balls were moving on the greens and gof4life even had one fall off the tee mid swing. Never seen that before.

wow , that sucks about the wind being that bad, golf is hard enough, we dont need anything to make it harder. 91 is a good score in those conditions. Have you talked to Andy about your driver woes? Man, I hate that thing is beating you up

Played yesterday with the 2.0's and am still dialing in the distances but they are just so nice. Every time you play with these sticks you like them a little more.
That is a great way to put it cb! I learn something different each time I play with them, the hope is that sooner or later the learning stops and they become dialed in, but for now I can deal with a bit of learning.

I have some updated thoughts on the Burner 2.0s from a week where I played 54 holes.

1. My round last week Wednesday I was playing awful, I was missing every shot with all my clubs and really had a chance to experience the forgiveness of the 2.0s first hand. I can't imagine what sort of score I would have shot without having some sort of forgiveness in my irons. Even though I hit shots somewhat solid I was coming through with the blade way open, resulting in everything missing short and right. This was worse with my driver, fw wood, and hybrid than my irons, the iron shots would miss short and right but I'd still usually end up only about 10 to 15 yards short max, leaving myself with at least a chance to get up and down to save a score (I'd say to save par but there were times that my driver shots got me in so much trouble I'd be scrambling to save bogey). So in a round that I my ball striking was way off I still found that I wasn't punished nearly as much as I would have been with a less forgiving iron. I think this was a big reason I was still able to scrape out an 88 even with such awful ball striking.

2. Early in my round on Friday something clicked and I figured out what I had been doing the round prior and lucky for me it was an easy fix. The mistake was something that occasionally creeps into my game and I'm normally able to pin point it immediately, I think with new irons and a different driver in my bag I must have been a little fooled by what was going on. So after fixing the cause of my misery I was able to get back in the groove of nailing my irons. This was only the 2nd round I've played with my dad since getting the 2.0s in the bag, he knows my game and my typical shot shape more than anyone so his feedback was helpful as I ponder all the differences with the 2.0 irons. I again played with my dad on Saturday and we talked a lot about the differences in my ball flight between my Mizunos and the Burner 2.0s.

3. I'm reading other people say that the 2.0s are giving them a more penetrating ball flight, every time I hear this I think of a low boring type of flight and this is not the same for me. I am getting much more height on my iron shots now. I always hit low iron shots before and while it helped in the wind it made holding greens very difficult. For me the Burner 2.0s go HIGH, I mean REAL high and I'm loving it. I find that even though I'm hitting shots higher than I've ever hit before I'm still getting a lot more distance on the ball and even into a wind I am not worried if the ball goes slightly higher than before because I know a well struck shot will go. I'm holding greens with every iron in my bag now and this is something that I just love, prior to these I'd be lucky to be able to hold anything longer than an 8 iron.

4. The long irons are ridiculously awesome. I am in love with the 4, 5, and 6 iron in this set. I still haven't taken the 3 iron out yet but I do plan on it very soon. This weekend I was playing a dog leg left par 5 into the wind, I was set to lay up and it called for a shot over top of a very tall tree if I was going to be able to get the ball to my desired lay up distance, my options were grab a 7 iron and go to the 150 yd point and not tangle with the tree or grab a 5 iron and go right over the tree to the 100 yd markers. I did just that and hit this towering 5 iron shot that I nailed flush and it just kept going up until it cleared the tree and landed middle of the fairway right at 100 yds out. My 5 iron used to go HALF that high!

So that's an update of how things are going with the Burner 2.0s, high and far is what I'm finding and I couldn't be happier with them!

Looks like another Love Ocnnection is made between man and club. Great summary P4B!!!
I have some updated thoughts on the Burner 2.0s from a week where I played 54 holes.

1. My round last week Wednesday I was playing awful, I was missing every shot with all my clubs and really had a chance to experience the forgiveness of the 2.0s first hand. I can't imagine what sort of score I would have shot without having some sort of forgiveness in my irons. Even though I hit shots somewhat solid I was coming through with the blade way open, resulting in everything missing short and right. This was worse with my driver, fw wood, and hybrid than my irons, the iron shots would miss short and right but I'd still usually end up only about 10 to 15 yards short max, leaving myself with at least a chance to get up and down to save a score (I'd say to save par but there were times that my driver shots got me in so much trouble I'd be scrambling to save bogey). So in a round that I my ball striking was way off I still found that I wasn't punished nearly as much as I would have been with a less forgiving iron. I think this was a big reason I was still able to scrape out an 88 even with such awful ball striking.

2. Early in my round on Friday something clicked and I figured out what I had been doing the round prior and lucky for me it was an easy fix. The mistake was something that occasionally creeps into my game and I'm normally able to pin point it immediately, I think with new irons and a different driver in my bag I must have been a little fooled by what was going on. So after fixing the cause of my misery I was able to get back in the groove of nailing my irons. This was only the 2nd round I've played with my dad since getting the 2.0s in the bag, he knows my game and my typical shot shape more than anyone so his feedback was helpful as I ponder all the differences with the 2.0 irons. I again played with my dad on Saturday and we talked a lot about the differences in my ball flight between my Mizunos and the Burner 2.0s.

3. I'm reading other people say that the 2.0s are giving them a more penetrating ball flight, every time I hear this I think of a low boring type of flight and this is not the same for me. I am getting much more height on my iron shots now. I always hit low iron shots before and while it helped in the wind it made holding greens very difficult. For me the Burner 2.0s go HIGH, I mean REAL high and I'm loving it. I find that even though I'm hitting shots higher than I've ever hit before I'm still getting a lot more distance on the ball and even into a wind I am not worried if the ball goes slightly higher than before because I know a well struck shot will go. I'm holding greens with every iron in my bag now and this is something that I just love, prior to these I'd be lucky to be able to hold anything longer than an 8 iron.

4. The long irons are ridiculously awesome. I am in love with the 4, 5, and 6 iron in this set. I still haven't taken the 3 iron out yet but I do plan on it very soon. This weekend I was playing a dog leg left par 5 into the wind, I was set to lay up and it called for a shot over top of a very tall tree if I was going to be able to get the ball to my desired lay up distance, my options were grab a 7 iron and go to the 150 yd point and not tangle with the tree or grab a 5 iron and go right over the tree to the 100 yd markers. I did just that and hit this towering 5 iron shot that I nailed flush and it just kept going up until it cleared the tree and landed middle of the fairway right at 100 yds out. My 5 iron used to go HALF that high!

So that's an update of how things are going with the Burner 2.0s, high and far is what I'm finding and I couldn't be happier with them!

P4B, that was an awesome read! I liked the breakdown and images you created. I am very happy to hear these clubs are working out for you. I am stoked you worked some kinks out. Oh, and a penetrating ball flight does not always mean a low ball flight. I had a 3wood that did just that, it started out low and REAL hot and slowly rose, man, I loved that club.

Good writeup P4B! Sounds like you and the TM's are working like a fine oiled machine dude :cowboy:.. I just had to stick a smilie of you and your cowboy hat in here :O)..

Little birdie just came into my office.

He said "I think we should give away a set of 2.0's"

Do you guys agree with him?

hmmmmmmm let me think about this for a day or two..... well on the other hand yup!

ahhhhh man! That is in-freaken-credible!

unless they're LH, yes!

tweet tweet!

I always listen to the birdie....(or is that my wife in my ear)...Whatever.... heck yeah.

Looks like I'm gonna have to stay glued to the birdie update with my phone all this week at work!

That Birdie is officially Roadhouse.

Yeah, he is full of information. I thought a few more would be excited about this one (haha), but we think we should do it anyway...HAHA

first off, i think it's awesome that a THP'er has the chance to win these irons and here's why:

they are, hands down, the most wonderful iron i've ever hit. i've hit a bunch but these just stand out to me as the best for a few reasons. they flat out perform, they are attractive, the feel phenomenal, and they are stupid long. i've now logged 2 rounds of golf and at least 10 range sessions with them and i love them more and more every time out. some may think that i am in awe b/c i am a guy who previously gamed the X22's, and that surely, the burner 2.0's are better than those and surely they feel better than those. well, the three sets of irons i gamed previously were all forged irons (nike cci forged, mizuno mx 25, and the ping i3 forged) so i know what forged irons feel like, how they perform, how to work the ball left, right, high, low with them and the burner 2.0's blow them all out of the water. as a 5.1 hcp'er i take my game somewhat seriously. of course the back 9 at the palmer course would dispute that, but that was just a shocking 9 holes for me, but hey, that's golf.

i can undisputably say that the 2.0's are in the bag for a long, long time. i'm still adjusting to the actual length of the club as well as the yardage increase i'm seeing per club but that's to be expected. i've played 2 rounds with them and shot a 77 and an 80 and am still struggling to know what to hit from 150 yards!!! i also love the 3 iron, so much that it kicked my hybrid out of the bag and is seriously threatening my 3wood. if taylormade had a 2 iron available, i'd have it! it's a freaking missile launcher. i swear, any par 4 that's 400 yards or shorter i'll be hitting the 3 iron off the tee. according to my gps i'm averaging a ridiculous 233 yards with a 3 iron!!!!

point is, i'm a believer, and fortunately, taylormade has made an iron that looks awesome at address, feels wonderful at contact, and literally inspires confidence. i am in love!

That birdie knows that one less set of clubs to move is a smart birdie. Way to go bird!

great stuff TC! you may have to track down a 3 iron and just bend it to a 2 iron?
first off, i think it's awesome that a THP'er has the chance to win these irons and here's why:

they are, hands down, the most wonderful iron i've ever hit. i've hit a bunch but these just stand out to me as the best for a few reasons. they flat out perform, they are attractive, the feel phenomenal, and they are stupid long. i've now logged 2 rounds of golf and at least 10 range sessions with them and i love them more and more every time out. some may think that i am in awe b/c i am a guy who previously gamed the X22's, and that surely, the burner 2.0's are better than those and surely they feel better than those. well, the three sets of irons i gamed previously were all forged irons (nike cci forged, mizuno mx 25, and the ping i3 forged) so i know what forged irons feel like, how they perform, how to work the ball left, right, high, low with them and the burner 2.0's blow them all out of the water. as a 5.1 hcp'er i take my game somewhat seriously. of course the back 9 at the palmer course would dispute that, but that was just a shocking 9 holes for me, but hey, that's golf.

i can undisputably say that the 2.0's are in the bag for a long, long time. i'm still adjusting to the actual length of the club as well as the yardage increase i'm seeing per club but that's to be expected. i've played 2 rounds with them and shot a 77 and an 80 and am still struggling to know what to hit from 150 yards!!! i also love the 3 iron, so much that it kicked my hybrid out of the bag and is seriously threatening my 3wood. if taylormade had a 2 iron available, i'd have it! it's a freaking missile launcher. i swear, any par 4 that's 400 yards or shorter i'll be hitting the 3 iron off the tee. according to my gps i'm averaging a ridiculous 233 yards with a 3 iron!!!!

point is, i'm a believer, and fortunately, taylormade has made an iron that looks awesome at address, feels wonderful at contact, and literally inspires confidence. i am in love!

Back