Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

yeah, it's the hardest part about transitioning to the 2.0's for me, clubbing myself. i just have a hard time fathoming some of the distances i'm hitting certain clubs.

one of the things that i have noticed, and i will chalk it up to the "transitioning" of the set is that the lower/scoring clubs seem to be fairly true to what my old distances were. for example, i now hit a PW an avg of about 130-135, whereas before i was hitting my PW an avg. of 125-130, so not a huge gain, but from the 8 iron up is where i'm seeing a big jump in distance gain. for me to hit a 6 iron to a front pin location at 185 is crazy talk, but it's true.

i'll also say that this is a good problem to have and i'm having a blast getting use to the new found distances.

I can....and I will, thanks!!! :D

yeah yeah, rub it in....I still cant believe you tried to off a GPS on me for the divot mat. That thing goes NOWHERE! and stop hating on my divot mat.

yeah, it's the hardest part about transitioning to the 2.0's for me, clubbing myself. i just have a hard time fathoming some of the distances i'm hitting certain clubs.

one of the things that i have noticed, and i will chalk it up to the "transitioning" of the set is that the lower/scoring clubs seem to be fairly true to what my old distances were. for example, i now hit a PW an avg of about 130-135, whereas before i was hitting my PW an avg. of 125-130, so not a huge gain, but from the 8 iron up is where i'm seeing a big jump in distance gain. for me to hit a 6 iron to a front pin location at 185 is crazy talk, but it's true.

i'll also say that this is a good problem to have and i'm having a blast getting use to the new found distances.

You know what I would suggest, write down your new distances, hell I will give them to you, look at them before every shot til you have it down and just go with it. Trust the fact that you are hitting them well.

yeah, i've been utilizing the shot tracker on my onpar to get an idea of my distances. i've also been writing down what iron i hit into par 3's. i'll get it.

I know, I hit my 9I like 195 the other day. Damn hot irons. Im so confused now, 4I or 9I?? :confused2:

I know, I hit my 9I like 195 the other day. Damn hot irons. Im so confused now, 4I or 9I?? :confused2:

*feverishly shakes Kevin to wake him up*

Stay tuned at 7pm EST. New Contest Announcement! That darn birdie was right.

Stay tuned at 7pm EST. New Contest Announcement! That darn birdie was right.

nice! love that a thp'er gets a chance at these irons.

You said closest post to 7 pm wins right!

It took me at least 6 rounds or more to get used to the distances on the 09 Burner Irons .... nice problem to have though !

man, i would love a shot at winning these!

I tried these irons out the other day at Dick's. I thought they hit great, but I am still not sure if they would beat out the R9's. I think I would have to play a round or two with them to really see.

Perspective

Perspective

I love the look of these new Burner 2.0 Irons however to be a contrarian I have to point out that a lot of the hype about distance is a bit much in my opinion.

'These are our longest irons ever' seems to be the creed and while it is hard to argue I think we have to qualify that statement by acknowledging the extremely strong lofts on each of these clubs.

When people have claimed they have never hit a 6 iron as long as the TM Burner 2.0 you are probably right, however it is basically a 5 iron in most sets. Probably why most struggle with the 3 iron (19*!).

The Burner 6 Iron has a 27* loft!

Compared to most other sets, that is a 5 iron.

Titleist AP2 5 iron is 26* (6 iron 29*)

Ping i15 5 iron is 27* (6 iron 30*)

CG7 BP Tour 5 iron is 27* (6 iron 30.5*)

Mizuno MP58 5 iron is 27* (6 iron 31*)

And so on and so on.

Instead of putting the club # as 6 or 7 iron, TM should simply put the loft as to not confuse the general public into thinking there is some sort of magical distance dust on these beauties when it is really just a suped up loft that is causing these to go sooo long.

Saying that, I will definitely be trying out these things as most of the tour players play with suped up lofts as is.

Just wanted to point it out to avoid a misconception to potential buyers.

Great thread otherwise.

Now this is a set of irons I can game!
They look awesome.

Ironically, I'm seeing a two club increase in distance compared to my x22's. Perhaps it has something to do with inverted cone technology and the fact that these have the thinnest face materials....ever! I'm aware that they are stronger lofted and love the results.

Thanks for the info and specs though its cool to compare them with other clubs.

I love the look of these new Burner 2.0 Irons however to be a contrarian I have to point out that a lot of the hype about distance is a bit much in my opinion.

'These are our longest irons ever' seems to be the creed and while it is hard to argue I think we have to qualify that statement by acknowledging the extremely strong lofts on each of these clubs.

When people have claimed they have never hit a 6 iron as long as the TM Burner 2.0 you are probably right, however it is basically a 5 iron in most sets. Probably why most struggle with the 3 iron (19*!).

And so on and so on.

Instead of putting the club # as 6 or 7 iron, TM should simply put the loft as to not confuse the general public into thinking there is some sort of magical distance dust on these beauties when it is really just a suped up loft that is causing these to go sooo long.

Saying that, I will definitely be trying out these things as most of the tour players play with suped up lofts as is.

Great thread otherwise.

sent from my genius phone!

And so on and so on.

Great thread otherwise.

There is one MAJOR problem with your entire post here. All the irons that you are comparing lofts to are GE irons and are not even in the same class. If you want to compare iron lofts, perhaps comparing them to irons that are in the same class might be more beneficial. Players cavities vs GI is going to be different every single time. It has for quite a few years and it is NOT company specific. If you do a proper comparison, you will see that the lofts are stronger than some and in line with others.

Burner 2.0 Testing Update

Burner 2.0 Testing Update

I wanted to drop an update on my Burner 2.0 testing up to this point. Since the fall THP Outing, where I first hit the new Burners, Ive been able to take them out on numerous range sessions and a few rounds of golf. I continue to be impressed with the Burners and gain more and more confidence with them each round. Here are a few random thoughts up to this point:

- Love the look, fit and finish of the clubs. They just look awesome and appear to hold onto that nice finish too. While the finish appears very durable they also did a great job with the color scheme and making the top line look smaller then it is. Genius on TM's part. They really did make a GI club look more like a players club.

- When it comes to shafts, grips, flex and lofts I have no real issues with the Burners. Cant say I love the grip but I do like it and the alignment aids on them help. I think if I did it over Id probably go with stiff shafts but its no deal breaker. Ive always played regular steel so I'm used to it. The lofts are strong. But no more then any other club in the GI realm so its to be expected. I love being able to hit my clubs longer but still high and penetrating. Whats not to like about that?

- On performance and value I think this set offers it all. When you buy this set you are going to get what Id say is arguably the most advanced set of clubs out there. They just flat out perform and do it very well. You know when you pure a shot because you don't feel much but you know you got it good. But when you miss, you know it too and I love that a set offering this much performance can also give good feedback. Misses let you know you missed but you still get good distance too. They're easy to hit, provide great feedback, go long and straight. BOOM. Great set for the money.

- Money clubs. I find the 4-5-6 irons to be money. They're just easy to hit and hit well. I think most people can grab any 7-8 or 9 iron from a set and hit it. But I was hitting the 6I just as well as the 9I on my first round with it. I hit 6I onto both par3 holes of the Bear Trap at PGA National. And now I'm experimenting with the 3I and it just might find its way into my bag. I cant remember the last time I even owned a 3I much less played it.

- And last I want to touch on the Callaway X-24's versus the Burner 2.0's. I was playing the X-24's before I was selected to test the Burners. I'm sure that had nothing to do with being selected...lol. So which would I buy right now? When I started this testing I kept 3 of the X-24's in my trunk to test head to head with the Burners. At this point the X-24's have been put away and I only keep the Burners with me. I think the X-24's are a great set that offer a lot but if you want more feedback and I think a much much better looking club the Burners are the one. They both offer a nice high ball fight, good distance with the Burners ahead by a nudge, but in feel and looks its really no contest as I love what the Burners offer. Testing continues but up to this point the Taylor Made Burner 2.0's get the full OEM Seal of Approval.

Cool OEM, thanks for the update. Man, I am glad your hitting them well and more importantly your confidence has been boosted. I hit both clubs at the outting and I have to agree 100% that the burners offer more feedback than the 24's. One major reason I think the feel is different would be due to the thin face on the Burners. Thanks for your thoughts

Cool OEM, thanks for the update. Man, I am glad your hitting them well and more importantly your confidence has been boosted. I hit both clubs at the outting and I have to agree 100% that the burners offer more feedback than the 24's. One major reason I think the feel is different would be due to the thin face on the Burners. Thanks for your thoughts

Thats a very good point because one thing the X-24's are not is thin. I agree with you there.

There is one MAJOR problem with your entire post here. All the irons that you are comparing lofts to are GE irons and are not even in the same class. If you want to compare iron lofts, perhaps comparing them to irons that are in the same class might be more beneficial. Players cavities vs GI is going to be different every single time. It has for quite a few years and it is NOT company specific. If you do a proper comparison, you will see that the lofts are stronger than some and in line with others.

Well, that sort of works into my point, most of the testers (and other reviews) have stated that these irons are for ALL level of golfers and don't offer quite as much forgiveness as a true GI or SGI iron for the most part but are being sold because of the distance.

That distance is manufactured IMO from the strong lofts, one could supe up any GE, GI or SGI lofts to gain the same level of distance with potentially more playability, forgiveness or feel depending on preference.

Burner 2.0 6-Iron - 27*

Mizuno MX300 6I - 29* (5 iron 26*)
Adams A7 6I - 29*
PING G15 - 29*
AP1 - 29*
X-22 - 30* (3* difference!)
X-24 HOT 6I 28*
SQ MACH - 29*

Just playing devil's advocate and looking at it from a different angle, not trying to be negative!

I wanted to drop an update on my Burner 2.0 testing up to this point. Since the fall THP Outing, where I first hit the new Burners, Ive been able to take them out on numerous range sessions and a few rounds of golf. I continue to be impressed with the Burners and gain more and more confidence with them each round. Here are a few random thoughts up to this point:

- Love the look, fit and finish of the clubs. They just look awesome and appear to hold onto that nice finish too. While the finish appears very durable they also did a great job with the color scheme and making the top line look smaller then it is. Genius on TM's part. They really did make a GI club look more like a players club.

- When it comes to shafts, grips, flex and lofts I have no real issues with the Burners. Cant say I love the grip but I do like it and the alignment aids on them help. I think if I did it over Id probably go with stiff shafts but its no deal breaker. Ive always played regular steel so I'm used to it. The lofts are strong. But no more then any other club in the GI realm so its to be expected. I love being able to hit my clubs longer but still high and penetrating. Whats not to like about that?

- On performance and value I think this set offers it all. When you buy this set you are going to get what Id say is arguably the most advanced set of clubs out there. They just flat out perform and do it very well. You know when you pure a shot because you don't feel much but you know you got it good. But when you miss, you know it too and I love that a set offering this much performance can also give good feedback. Misses let you know you missed but you still get good distance too. They're easy to hit, provide great feedback, go long and straight. BOOM. Great set for the money.

- Money clubs. I find the 4-5-6 irons to be money. They're just easy to hit and hit well. I think most people can grab any 7-8 or 9 iron from a set and hit it. But I was hitting the 6I just as well as the 9I on my first round with it. I hit 6I onto both par3 holes of the Bear Trap at PGA National. And now I'm experimenting with the 3I and it just might find its way into my bag. I cant remember the last time I even owned a 3I much less played it.

- And last I want to touch on the Callaway X-24's versus the Burner 2.0's. I was playing the X-24's before I was selected to test the Burners. I'm sure that had nothing to do with being selected...lol. So which would I buy right now? When I started this testing I kept 3 of the X-24's in my trunk to test head to head with the Burners. At this point the X-24's have been put away and I only keep the Burners with me. I think the X-24's are a great set that offer a lot but if you want more feedback and I think a much much better looking club the Burners are the one. They both offer a nice high ball fight, good distance with the Burners ahead by a nudge, but in feel and looks its really no contest as I love what the Burners offer. Testing continues but up to this point the Taylor Made Burner 2.0's get the full OEM Seal of Approval.

Great update. One thing you touched on is the feedback and I wanted to mention that whats great about the 2.0's is that when you miss you know exactly where on the face you missed. The sound and feel of a little off the toe is much different that the heel and you can feel when you hit it a groove or two too low. Glad you are liking the irons so much, they are very nice looking sticks.

Don't the lofts need to be stronger on many GI irons due to a lower CG?

Well, that sort of works into my point, most of the testers (and other reviews) have stated that these irons are for ALL level of golfers and don't offer quite as much forgiveness as a true GI or SGI iron for the most part but are being sold because of the distance.

That distance is manufactured IMO from the strong lofts, one could supe up any GE, GI or SGI lofts to gain the same level of distance with potentially more playability, forgiveness or feel depending on preference.

Im not sure what strong lofts have to do with a golfers skill level. All distance is manufactured whether it is shorter or longer based on the lofts one is given. Just because one is used to traditional lofts does not make it correct or incorrect. I have not seen a tester say that they dont offer as much forgiveness. Can you show me that, because I might have missed it. I have been testing them and find them to be super forgiving and definitely as forgiving as most of the other GI irons on the market. Shaft length, face technology and other things all play a role in adding forgiveness on misses and increasing ball speed.

Im always baffled when golfers (not you, just in general) knock length based on loft. Its the same golfers that look for many different things in an iron that I dont understand, but that is for a different thread. Distance is only created by ball speed and angle. That is it, nothing more. The same reason they offer different lofts in drivers. In the end, what is the difference.

Don't the lofts need to be stronger on many GI irons due to a lower CG?

Yes. As well as offset adding to increase playable loft. That is another misnomer in that most think offset in a golf iron is there to correct a slice. It is actually there to assist the ball in the air due to changes in playable loft. While it can correct the other, that is not the initial intent.

It sounds as though these aren't your typical GI iron (in terms of feedback) which is exciting and brings me to a question regarding these gorgeous clubs.

A lot of people talk about workability and I take that to mean being able to draw/fade/punch etc and I was wondering if these feel like a 'shot improvement' club where in the contact, ball flight feels "pre-programmed" or if you feel you are still the one doing the work?

Does it work with your swing, forcing you to improve or does it feel like you are on auto-pilot a bit? If this makes any sense?

I don't like the phrase 'game-improvement' when that also is synonymous with "forgiveness" thus not forcing you to really work on your game at all, it should be 'shot-improvement' irons as it is helping you not mis shots but not really improving your overall game (like a blade would force you to).

I have stayed away from a GI in the past for this reason but if the Burner 2.0 don't give any of you guys that impression (and I respect the opinions here greatly) than THAT would be most exciting for me.

I play a draw (sometimes a strong draw) and I don't feel there is a club alive that could negate that but if these would help me in that regard (playing a more controlled draw) that could be a postitive as well, ONLY as long as it isn't a false or forced action and the second I return to a blade or GE iron I might have picked up a bad swing habit along the way?

Sorry for the very long winded and rambling question(s), just trying to get as much info from you guys! Hope it made some sense and can be answered...

Back