ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Game improvement irons are specifically designed to assist mid-to-high handicap golfers in making the game easier. Generally speaking, they are built to provide additional forgiveness, launch, and speed, allowing weekend warriors to enjoy the game more even when their swings are not finely tuned. Surprisingly, some of these designs have a fade bias in the long irons. TaylorMade has identified this issue, and they have devised a solution to it with their all-new Qi irons.

Continue reading...

I like the clean badging on these. It's a good looking GI iron. The fixes for fade bias they are going for in long irons is very interesting. I know that can tend to be my miss with the longer irons.

I’ve always hated the crimped looking hosel. These don’t do it for me, but curious how they do in the market vs the other OEM’s.

Actually not a bad looking GI iron. Also I liked in the article by @ddec how it pointed out that people have trouble turning over (or fade bias) if you will in the longer GI irons. I have battled my G425 6i for 2 seasons now and consistently miss right with it. Usually a push or push fade. Neat that TM is thinking about this and putting in some tech to try and mitigate this.

Do these replace the Stealth and Stealth HD irons?

1000053595.jpg

Obviously not my kind of iron, but the optimized face thicknesses is interesting. Combo with the flighted CG and people should see some good benefit. The Stealth irons were ridiculously popular and these probably look a little better so I imagine they'll do well.

Last edited:
Quite the story there with the face... Due to the fact that I don't play GI irons I wasn't aware there was a fade bias on that type of iron so that is quite interesting. They don't look bad either, better than the stealth irons to me.

Really, really solid looks on this line. I like them a lot.

Interesting to note the fade bias in the longer irons - I wonder how many higher caps have hybrids in those slots and might opt back for irons if they offer the forgiveness and "anti-right" shots that hybrids traditionally do.

I like the look of these.

Actually not a bad looking GI iron. Also I liked in the article by @ddec how it pointed out that people have trouble turning over (or fade bias) if you will in the longer GI irons. I have battled my G425 6i for 2 seasons now and consistently miss right with it. Usually a push or push fade. Neat that TM is thinking about this and putting in some tech to try and mitigate this.

Do these replace the Stealth and Stealth HD irons?
Stealth definitely. HD…I think those still stand on their own a bit. But there is some overlap.

I really really like the looks of these, and seems as if they pack everything in an iron that I like.

Gives me Speedbladez feels but with improved face tech.

I bet they are a lot of fun. Love the clean look.

Quite the story there with the face... Due to the fact that I don't play GI irons I wasn't aware there was a fade bias on that type of iron so that is quite interesting. They don't look bad either, better than the stealth irons to me.
Same here. I didn't realize that.

"delivering a combination of distance and accuracy with a solid feel unexpected of game improvement irons"

This feels like a weird take, as I think a lot of options out there today are solving the sound to forgiveness ratio equation pretty comfortably. I am thrilled to hear that TaylorMade has this piece as part of their equation as well though.

Same here. I didn't realize that.
Seems a bit counter intuitive doesn't it? I always thought GI irons were designed to be draw biased

Seems a bit counter intuitive doesn't it? I always thought GI irons were designed to be draw biased
With the offset most have, so did I...

That was my operating assumption too. Very, very interesting.

I'm wondering if we won't see some more GI technology creep into the highest levels at some point. Guys are no longer trying to shape shots and that was the big knock on the gi stuff.

Obviously need to see them in person but not in love with the looks of these at first blush. If they perform though I expect they'll sell quite well. I had no idea fade bias was a thing in GI irons either. TIL.

I found it odd as well. They did show a fancy chart in the media info that had 4 of the leading GI irons out there and where Qi is much more neutral. Kind of interesting.

Those are pretty clean looking irons. Nice write up @ddec

Agreed. I didn't know that either. I like the looks from the back of the iron, but looking down....Holy offset! Obviously not my type of iron, but glad their are options for people out there.

Also take note of the changes to the speed pocket shown above.

Great Write up James… Increased speed pocket and a face tech story, very interesting.

Not feeling the look. The Stealth irons that I have are beautiful.

This feels like the first TM release in a while where TM is actually trying to do something themselves instead of just borrowing from other OEMs. That’s good. I kind of roll my eyes at the marketing line they’ve come up about all the pieces working together. That’s something new and worthy of calling out, and not just a normal practice in design and development? Back to the good…the irons like nice.

Back