TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Nice write up, 310 avg with a 107 SS is huge, i dont think i have heard that kind of distance with that SS, i may be wrong but i thought i saw Biggsy's (hope i spelled that correct lol) simulator screen shot and he was up in the 120's SS getting that distance and a little more

I wanted to film it but my iphone died. I also wanted a print out, but could not get one. My best today was 117. I also based this avg on brain calculations and those numbers may be a littel biased as they are from memory (we all remember the smokers we hit). However, 280 carry was not an issue at all today. It is important to note, that yes you would not expect to see all 310 with 107. There are goign to be faster and longer that skew the average. I wish I could have gotten the stats. I would have worked something out. If you hit this thing in the sweet spot it hums. As with all reviews, the limitations that many present are subjective. I wanted the raw data, so I could present accurate data.

I wanted to film it but my iphone died. I also wanted a print out, but could not get one. My best today was 117. I also based this avg on brain calculations and those numbers may be a littel biased as they are from memory (we all remember the smokers we hit). However, 280 carry was not an issue at all today. It is important to note, that yes you would not expect to see all 310 with 107. There are goign to be faster and longer that skew the average. I wish I could have gotten the stats. I would have worked something out. If you hit this thing in the sweet spot it hums. As with all reviews, the limitations that many present are subjective. I wanted the raw data, so I could present accurate data.

Gotcha, thats just some monster drives.

Hi 10 yard and all,
I just wanted to post more on this. When refelcting on my indoor sim sessions testing this druver (in the past and thursday) I hit a few drives with 105-6 SS. The monitor said my distance with roll was 220ish. I think I posted this earlier, but I NEEDED to hit it outside. Big difference, I would recommend hitting it outside. I understand that those are monsters, I am still living the golf high. Will it be that way everyday, probably not ( I can only hope). I am one of those folks who really hate launch monitors, albeit, they provide the most valid and reliable computer data (trackman today). I will go with my eyes and I had great numbers. I am not trying to sell this driver ether, I just find it to be fantastic. :) The one thing that really surprised me was that some of those monsters were with range balls, I cannot wait to test my pentas with this bad boy.

10 yard, I noticed that your using srixon and pentas. Are the srixons, yellow? Have your driver with these with quality balls. This is where I am really keen to see what is happening. I feel that with a quality ball and a worked out swing, you would see even more distance. I cannot wait till the snow leaves so I can post more.

BTW my averge drives are about 280-290 with my now gone supertri with some as long as 350-60 (very few and very far between). Thanks for the useful and honest questions, this site has really helped me with choosing a lot of my new equipment. I would not want to lead anyone astray.

Alright, so I played 18 today and got to use the r11 on 4 shots. R11 was set at higher loft, standard asp.

Shot 1: I wanted to find the fairway (dog leg left) just past the bend and hit this. The ball launched at a mid trajectory and worked from right to left. It came down about 215 yards later in the middle of the fairway.

2: dog leg right, hit this and it worked from right to left and landed at the 100 yard mark in the left side of the fairway - and took the bend out of play. Distance: roughly 210

3: I was going for the green in 2 on a par 5 and got really quick, came over the top and hit a pull hook that travelled about 150 yards. The shot wasn't struck well and had no chance.

4: I had another on in 2 attempt and kept the swing in tempo, but I thinned it into the water guarding the green. I was about 205 to the front of the green and the water was 190 to carry...my balled took a hop and skip, and made it's way to the bottom of the pond.

The club still feels awesome when hit purely, but I didn't hit it purely off of the deck. With the loft higher, I noticed I was hitting a draw instead of the standard straight ball. I lowered it again, and I want to make sure that's why the ball was drawing. The blur still felt fine for my swing and didn't seem to twist at all. I'm hoping to get out to the course soon, but we're expecting snow this week - so it will probably be the golf dome.

Tap before talk.

Hi WM,
Try opening the face up, set it to open. Maybe change the weights. I found that opening the face gives u a nice clear target I terms of sweet spot and Alingment aid. I had issues with neutral setting and find that weight in the toe just feels better. U can always try the tuner on TM website. She will be bombing soon :)

Thanks, Jake. I was thinking the 10.5* and then I would dial it down from there. Then i would have a mid-launch shaft with a more lofted club I could dial up or down to change the ball flight. I asked you a question in SF 2.0 thread too.

Kevin

Try the R11, 10.5* head, Fubuki Alpha shaft esox. I think you will like the combination. I love the flight I'm getting from the Fubuki. Not too high, not too low......just right.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I went and played a quick nine after work yesterday. I played the R11 as much as possible. It did really great off the tee. I did have two hooks with it and the rest were small fades. The distance I had with it was great. I think I was averaging about 10 to 15 yds more than the old R9. I am going today to a certified TM professional to day to dial it in with a launch monitor. I am really interested to see what numbers are going to show up. I have been just hitting it and enjoying the ball flight so far. I can't wait to perfect it and maybe I can be a bit more consistent with it. I hope dialing it in will help with that too. It seemed like the Kingdom guys had better results after they finished their fittings. I will let everybody know how it goes and post my low numbers if I get a chance to print them out. HAHA.

Well, how did it go broski?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Hi 10 yard and all,
I just wanted to post more on this. When refelcting on my indoor sim sessions testing this druver (in the past and thursday) I hit a few drives with 105-6 SS. The monitor said my distance with roll was 220ish. I think I posted this earlier, but I NEEDED to hit it outside. Big difference, I would recommend hitting it outside. I understand that those are monsters, I am still living the golf high. Will it be that way everyday, probably not ( I can only hope). I am one of those folks who really hate launch monitors, albeit, they provide the most valid and reliable computer data (trackman today). I will go with my eyes and I had great numbers. I am not trying to sell this driver ether, I just find it to be fantastic. :) The one thing that really surprised me was that some of those monsters were with range balls, I cannot wait to test my pentas with this bad boy.

10 yard, I noticed that your using srixon and pentas. Are the srixons, yellow? Have your driver with these with quality balls. This is where I am really keen to see what is happening. I feel that with a quality ball and a worked out swing, you would see even more distance. I cannot wait till the snow leaves so I can post more.

BTW my averge drives are about 280-290 with my now gone supertri with some as long as 350-60 (very few and very far between). Thanks for the useful and honest questions, this site has really helped me with choosing a lot of my new equipment. I would not want to lead anyone astray.

I believe ya, i wasnt questioning ya or anything thats just some really big drives for that SS, after you said you were up in the high teens when you went after it it made more sense lol. Ya i use both the Yellow (LOVE IT) and white zstar, also penta and callaway tour i(s)/i(z), im also seeing a distance increase compared to my Supertri/RIP combo. My swing has been really funky so far this year but im sure its just from not playing all winter and it will get worked out but the R11 has worked great, my favorite driver i have ever owned or hit actually. Im playing tomorrow morning so i will update how my day goes with the R11 and will also update the Rescue11 testing thread. Cant wait for the morning to get here lol.

Alright, so I played 18 today and got to use the r11 on 4 shots. R11 was set at higher loft, standard asp.

Shot 1: I wanted to find the fairway (dog leg left) just past the bend and hit this. The ball launched at a mid trajectory and worked from right to left. It came down about 215 yards later in the middle of the fairway.

2: dog leg right, hit this and it worked from right to left and landed at the 100 yard mark in the left side of the fairway - and took the bend out of play. Distance: roughly 210

3: I was going for the green in 2 on a par 5 and got really quick, came over the top and hit a pull hook that travelled about 150 yards. The shot wasn't struck well and had no chance.

4: I had another on in 2 attempt and kept the swing in tempo, but I thinned it into the water guarding the green. I was about 205 to the front of the green and the water was 190 to carry...my balled took a hop and skip, and made it's way to the bottom of the pond.

The club still feels awesome when hit purely, but I didn't hit it purely off of the deck. With the loft higher, I noticed I was hitting a draw instead of the standard straight ball. I lowered it again, and I want to make sure that's why the ball was drawing. The blur still felt fine for my swing and didn't seem to twist at all. I'm hoping to get out to the course soon, but we're expecting snow this week - so it will probably be the golf dome.

Tap before talk.

The Blur feels decent for me also, its a improvement over the stock Motore that came in the Supertri IMO. Im starting to save some money so i can get a shaft fitting, also waiting until the Miyazaki Dromos will be readily available, really want to hit that shaft

I put my TayloMade 7 - wood back in play today. I moved the setting back to normal loft and regular on the lie setting. I hit some really nice high draws fairway shots with this setting. If anyone is looking for a really cool 7 - wood that you can modify your loft/lie setting on. I have hit seven woods in the past however never one I could control my ball flight, from straight to fade or to a draw. It's so cool and if you are having problems hooking or pushing a hybrid, why not try a 7 - wood that has this adjustability? It has all the versatility you could possibly need. Take it from ole gray, you need this 7 - wood in your bag! It really works :golf2:.

Thanks, I will not be getting out on a course for awhile, expecting almost a foot of snow. The yellow ball and white head have me spellbound as it looks even easier to align. That's what I was getting at, as I am going to get some yellows when I go get the rescue and mc's. The contrast that this club has on green is really nice. If you were or anyone else were to fault anything, what would it be? My gripe is the grips, but some shops will swap em out for free. Have u noticed any dirt problems on the crown or getting caught in the asp?
This site rocks!

I put my TayloMade 7 - wood back in play today. I moved the setting back to normal loft and regular on the lie setting. I hit some really nice high draws fairway shots with this setting. If anyone is looking for a really cool 7 - wood that you can modify your loft/lie setting on. I have hit seven woods in the past however never one I could control my ball flight, from straight to fade or to a draw. It's so cool and if you are having problems hooking or pushing a hybrid, why not try a 7 - wood that has this adjustability? It has all the versatility you could possibly need. Take it from ole gray, you need this 7 - wood in your bag! It really works :golf2:.

This R11 line seems to come up long and accurate, the way it should be. TM is coming out with a larger titanium head for the FW in April as confirmed on their facebook page. I am pleased with the current size, was concerned at first as compared to the R9.

I will write a better write up tomorrow or Monday but just wanted to say I got out and played 18 today. Used the R11 on probably 5-6 holes. Club is deadly accurate. Really just wants to go straight. I am losing at least 10 yards though with the R11 as compared to the 910. Pretty sure I was in the middle of the fairway for each of my drives with the R11 though which is very nice for me. I am not known for my accuracy. Very penetrating flight for me as well. I really enjoyed it today.

I will write a better write up tomorrow or Monday but just wanted to say I got out and played 18 today. Used the R11 on probably 5-6 holes. Club is deadly accurate. Really just wants to go straight. I am losing at least 10 yards though with the R11 as compared to the 910. Pretty sure I was in the middle of the fairway for each of my drives with the R11 though which is very nice for me. I am not known for my accuracy. Very penetrating flight for me as well. I really enjoyed it today.

Did you get your R11 sorted out CL? I mean, doesn't it have a crack in it?

I am not sure I've ever had confidence in a driver like I have in this one. Is it just a honeymoon period?

Thanks, I will not be getting out on a course for awhile, expecting almost a foot of snow. The yellow ball and white head have me spellbound as it looks even easier to align. That's what I was getting at, as I am going to get some yellows when I go get the rescue and mc's. The contrast that this club has on green is really nice. If you were or anyone else were to fault anything, what would it be? My gripe is the grips, but some shops will swap em out for free. Have u noticed any dirt problems on the crown or getting caught in the asp?
This site rocks!

The yellow ball really looks good infront of the white driver and hybrid, its very very easy to line up. I also hate the stock grips, have swapped all mine out for midsize NDMC. No dirt problems getting caught in the ASP, just some blades of grass at the most, its very easy to just take the ASP plate off and clean it. Crown gets a little dirty but it cleans up very easy, just water and a towel and it looks new again.

Did you get your R11 sorted out CL? I mean, doesn't it have a crack in it?

I am not sure I've ever had confidence in a driver like I have in this one. Is it just a honeymoon period?

TC I am starting to think it's not a crack. I have been able to get most of the smudge off just by giving it a good bath. Plus the way I hit it today I don't think it could possibly have a crack and still perform well. I think I was thrown off mostly by the sound of this bad boy. It's like a loud thud when hit square and my 910 is more like a traditional metal wood sound. I'm thinking perhaps the shaft is not perfect for me but I do think that I have the driver on the proper settings. I was hitting every shot that I tried today. Tried one knuckle fade and it came off perfectly(well if you don't count the bunker that I landed in). Tried a few draws and it drew perfectly. Tried some straight shots and it flew straight. For me it seems this driver really just wants to be aimed down the middle and hit. It's a very accurate driver. I'm beginning to think that the contrast between the white crown and the black face is making a big difference for me in terms of aligning my shots which is a problem sometimes for me. I'm definitely honeymooning it right now with my lowest score of the year today and from looking at the scores you are posting I would say you are honeymooning as well. I think at the Demo Day I am going to try all the different shafts and find one better suited for me. My guess is that the Kai'li 70S is going to be the one.

TC I am starting to think it's not a crack. I have been able to get most of the smudge off just by giving it a good bath. Plus the way I hit it today I don't think it could possibly have a crack and still perform well. I think I was thrown off mostly by the sound of this bad boy. It's like a loud thud when hit square and my 910 is more like a traditional metal wood sound. I'm thinking perhaps the shaft is not perfect for me but I do think that I have the driver on the proper settings. I was hitting every shot that I tried today. Tried one knuckle fade and it came off perfectly(well if you don't count the bunker that I landed in). Tried a few draws and it drew perfectly. Tried some straight shots and it flew straight. For me it seems this driver really just wants to be aimed down the middle and hit. It's a very accurate driver. I'm beginning to think that the contrast between the white crown and the black face is making a big difference for me in terms of aligning my shots which is a problem sometimes for me. I'm definitely honeymooning it right now with my lowest score of the year today and from looking at the scores you are posting I would say you are honeymooning as well. I think at the Demo Day I am going to try all the different shafts and find one better suited for me. My guess is that the Kai'li 70S is going to be the one.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with me and this club. Perhaps b/c I spent some time with it on the monitor and with my fitter and now that I know I have it set up perfectly for me, maybe I just have incredible confidence in it. I don't like to over hype anything b/c I think we're all different, and we all inherently have our likes/dislikes about clubs before we ever even hit them, but this club is far superior for me than my R9/Kusala black combination. It's longer, it doesn't cut as much, the ball flight is better, and I'm just finding more fairways. In my 3 rounds with this driver I've hit 10, 9, & 11 fairways and when I miss, I don't miss by a lot.

The sound is very different for a Taylormade driver. I can see why you may have thought something was wrong with it. I love the sound of the R9 but I love the sound of the R11 as well, it's a good different to be honest.

I completely agree with you TC. I have a ton of confidence with this club and the sound has completely grown on me. It is definitely a meaty sound. Awesome feedback from this driver also. You can tell exactly where you hit it. Boy my Titleist is crying in the garage as I type this. May have to do a late afternoon driver face off next week. Just go to a local course and pick a hole and maybe do 5 shots a piece side by side.

I completely agree with you TC. I have a ton of confidence with this club and the sound has completely grown on me. It is definitely a meaty sound. Awesome feedback from this driver also. You can tell exactly where you hit it. Boy my Titleist is crying in the garage as I type this. May have to do a late afternoon driver face off next week. Just go to a local course and pick a hole and maybe do 5 shots a piece side by side.

Well, there's no reason to off one of them now. Might as well give each of them ample time. My biggest conundrum right now: what to do with my Miyazaki? I don't think it's going in the R11.

No no no. Not going to sell them. They will both be coming with me to the outing as I would like to get a shaft picked out for the R11 and then do a quick shootout with the 910.

No no no. Not going to sell them. They will both be coming with me to the outing as I would like to get a shaft picked out for the R11 and then do a quick shootout with the 910.

Look at you embracing the outing! I like it CL!!!!! I'll spend your time on the monitor with you dude, it'll be good, we'll get you dialed right in.

Look at you embracing the outing! I like it CL!!!!! I'll spend your time on the monitor with you dude, it'll be good, we'll get you dialed right in.

We will get you on the monitor and get you all dialed in with it.

We will get you on the monitor and get you all dialed in with it.

Im so jealous of everybody that is going to be there, sounds like a great time with great people

Well i just got my R11 setup for tomorrows round(9 holes not 18 but still call it a round). Im trying some new settings, FCT increased loft by +.5 (9.5 now) ASP set to OPEN and MWT 8 heel and 6 toe. Im also kinda liking the weight with the 8-6 combo.

Saw these in person at Dick's today. I loved the way the fairway looked from address. Can't wait to give it some swings.

Back