TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Hi WM,
Try opening the face up, set it to open. Maybe change the weights. I found that opening the face gives u a nice clear target I terms of sweet spot and Alingment aid. I had issues with neutral setting and find that weight in the toe just feels better. U can always try the tuner on TM website. She will be bombing soon :)

Im pretty sure he is reffering to a FW so there are no weights to adjust.

Yea, I'm testing the 17* 4 wood for THP. I am going to open the ASP and see what the does. If worst comes to worse, I can go back to neutral and normal.

Tap before talk.

Well, how did it go broski?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I went for the fitting today and it was awesome! What an eye opening experience to get to see some numbers and I loved seeing the ball flight too. I know some people say you can do the same in a booth, but I think I will try and do a range fitting from now on. My hits where dead on today, so it made it a day for fitting. I did have a few off hits, but most of my shots were busting it right down the line. The pro said he was going to email me my numbers today or tomorrow, so I will post those as soon as I get them. I was able to try a few different shafts out; the Blur 60, Blur 70 and one other one that was way to light. The end result is that I stayed with the Fubuki Alpha 60. The Blur 60 was almost the same as the Fubuki, but since I already had it. We decide to just stick with it. My numbers with the Blur 70 were a little bit lower with it, I think I just could not get the heavier shaft through on the ball. The lighter shaft I tried didn't work out either. I hooked three balls in a row and called it quits on that one. The only setting change we did was to boost the loft to 11*. Once we did that my numbers went right on and I was getting what the launch monitor recommended. As soon as he emails me my numbers I will post those. One cool thing that happened, is he invited be back to a demo day next Friday at the course. He said the TM TP line was going to be there. I am so pumped to hit the CBs out there. I might be buying a new set of clubs if they hit good. I didn't think the R9s would every go out of the bag. I can't wait for Friday now!

Can't wait to see your numbers dude. Sounds like you had a great day out there. That's what it's all about. Interesting that the only thing you tweaked was the loft, as that's the only thing that I tweaked. Good stuff dmb, and again, looking forward to seeing those numbers.

btw, nothing like having that piece of mind that your setup is perfect for you huh?

I went for the fitting today and it was awesome! What an eye opening experience to get to see some numbers and I loved seeing the ball flight too. I know some people say you can do the same in a booth, but I think I will try and do a range fitting from now on. My hits where dead on today, so it made it a day for fitting. I did have a few off hits, but most of my shots were busting it right down the line. The pro said he was going to email me my numbers today or tomorrow, so I will post those as soon as I get them. I was able to try a few different shafts out; the Blur 60, Blur 70 and one other one that was way to light. The end result is that I stayed with the Fubuki Alpha 60. The Blur 60 was almost the same as the Fubuki, but since I already had it. We decide to just stick with it. My numbers with the Blur 70 were a little bit lower with it, I think I just could not get the heavier shaft through on the ball. The lighter shaft I tried didn't work out either. I hooked three balls in a row and called it quits on that one. The only setting change we did was to boost the loft to 11*. Once we did that my numbers went right on and I was getting what the launch monitor recommended. As soon as he emails me my numbers I will post those. One cool thing that happened, is he invited be back to a demo day next Friday at the course. He said the TM TP line was going to be there. I am so pumped to hit the CBs out there. I might be buying a new set of clubs if they hit good. I didn't think the R9s would every go out of the bag. I can't wait for Friday now!

Sounds like a very good day at the range, if you dont mind saying what did the fitting cost ya

Can't wait to see your numbers dude. Sounds like you had a great day out there. That's what it's all about. Interesting that the only thing you tweaked was the loft, as that's the only thing that I tweaked. Good stuff dmb, and again, looking forward to seeing those numbers.

btw, nothing like having that piece of mind that your setup is perfect for you huh?

That is what it is all about. I can't wait to head to the course tomorrow and put it in to play.

Edit: I really enjoyed the experience and hope to let this pro fit me to some irons down the road.

Sounds like a very good day at the range, if you dont mind saying what did the fitting cost ya

He charged me $75. I was was to buy a driver from him, that would go towards the driver.

How about that, TC? The Fubuki Alpha 60 just like you mentioned to me.

Kevin

Kevin

Yeah great shaft. I do say try out the Blur first. I could have gone with that shaft too. The numbers were so close it was hard to tell. That could save you a $100 to.

The Fubuki alpha seems to be getting some serious play with this head. I redid the R11 fitting early this morning and this time there was about 10 shafts to try instead of 4 like previous. Better results the second time around then the first but we still couldn't quite get the right shaft. The fitter things the Alpha is also the way to go but I'm a bit hesitant ordering it until I get to try it out. Thus the R11 driver is on holding pattern.

We did have some pretty good success with the R11 TP fairway with a Kai'li in it but it wasn't better enough then the S2/Xcon combo to pull the trigger. I am however excited about getting to try out a titanium version.

The Fubuki alpha seems to be getting some serious play with this head. I redid the R11 fitting early this morning and this time there was about 10 shafts to try instead of 4 like previous. Better results the second time around then the first but we still couldn't quite get the right shaft. The fitter things the Alpha is also the way to go but I'm a bit hesitant ordering it until I get to try it out. Thus the R11 driver is on holding pattern.

We did have some pretty good success with the R11 TP fairway with a Kai'li in it but it wasn't better enough then the S2/Xcon combo to pull the trigger. I am however excited about getting to try out a titanium version.

Yeah that should be cool. Its smart to hold off until your comfortable dude. No point in rushing into something before your condifent in it.

I've been getting in a lot of time with the R11 at the range and on course over the last few days and I have to say that I'm impressed. The Blueboard has brought the flight down considerably from where the Blur was at. It could also be that the Blur was an R and the Blueboard is an S. The normal shot with the Blur before was a nice mid/high launch that would then balloon up into the sky about 175 out and come straight down with zero roll at about 220 (so the GPS said). With the Blueboard I'm now looking at a mid trajectory at launch and a steady climb with a shallow angle of decent and nice roll. I'm now looking at about 255-60 after roll (so the GPS says) and I'm keeping it in the straight and narrow much more often w/ my occasional miss being a mean snap hook. This club doesn't feel especially "hot" off the face, but it does feel like you really hammered the ball when you make solid contact. I would call the feel of the club solid and sturdy. I've got the ASP set open with 10 toe and 6 in the heel. This really seems to help combat the pulls and hooks and has dropped my spin numbers down pretty low. I know that higher launch and some spin help most swingers get good distance, but this club is set up to combat Hawaiian Tradewinds that can leave you staring at your ball in disbelief as the winds carry it away like they own it.

Kevin

It's a shaft that is slowly winning me over. It just flat out performs. I have my R11 set on 10* via FCT and paired with the Fubuki, I'm seeing an awesome, penetrating, mid launch flight. Compared to my R9, which is set on 9.5* via FCT and paired with the Kusala Black, the R11 is just giving me a much better flight and I'm not even close to losing shots to my left.

Seek out that Taylormade fitter you were telling me about, I'm sure he has a fitting cart with tons of shaft options.

So he didn't have the Fubuki for you to try? Yeah, it would be worth waiting for to try it out. Why does he think it's the way to go?

Getting ready for my round, ill report back how the R11 does today

Well i went out and played yesterday and used the R11 5 Wood every chance I got and I am really liking this club! Just a few quick notes and then I am off to play again. I was getting about 10 more yards than with my previous 5 wood off the tee. I hit it several times off the deck and I really liked how it felt, even hitting off hard pan. My distance seemed a bit longer but I wasn't able to get accurate numbers. The one thing I really noticed is my shots were much straighter than before. I will write up a detailed report later tonight after todays round.

Well i went out and played yesterday and used the R11 5 Wood every chance I got and I am really liking this club! Just a few quick notes and then I am off to play again. I was getting about 10 more yards than with my previous 5 wood off the tee. I hit it several times off the deck and I really liked how it felt, even hitting off hard pan. My distance seemed a bit longer but I wasn't able to get accurate numbers. The one thing I really noticed is my shots were much straighter than before. I will write up a detailed report later tonight after todays round.

If you get around to it: could you adjust the ASP to higher loft, and FCT to standard - document your ball fight and see if the ball consistently loves right to left?

Tap before talk.

If you get around to it: could you adjust the ASP to higher loft, and FCT to standard - document your ball fight and see if the ball consistently loves right to left?

Tap before talk.

ASP doesn't effect loft. Its just open, neutral or closed. You wont notice any difference in ball flight by adjusting the ASP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASP doesn't effect loft. Its just open, neutral or closed. You wont notice any difference in ball flight by adjusting the ASP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually bridges, I think it would affect loft. I think It would decrease loft on the "left" setting because it's lifting the back of the club off the ground. It's closing the face.

From the iPhone.

Actually bridges, I think it would affect loft. I think It would decrease loft on the "left" setting because it's lifting the back of the club off the ground. It's closing the face.

From the iPhone.
The ASP does not affect loft, only the FCT does, thats straight from Taylormade and others who have tested it

From the iPhone.

The ASP does not affect loft, only the FCT does, thats straight from Taylormade and others who have tested it

Ya, what he said.

When I had mine I thought it effected draw or fade but found out it doesnt. For visual only. I dont like an open face at address so I put mine to close. I guess you could say a "confidence booster" Just one less thing to worry about when you get it setup at address like you want.

Ya, what he said.

When I had mine I thought it effected draw or fade but found out it doesnt. Just for visual. I dont like an open face at address so I put mine to close. Just I guess you could say a "confidence booster" Just one less thing to worry about when you get it setup at address like you want.

exactly, only affects face angle which is the way it looks at address, its a huge confidence booster being able to add loft without having a shut face or vice versa

Actually, the ASP effects the results plenty, at least based on the data that I gathered this past week. While it does only open and close the face of the club at address, it made a noticeable difference to my results when setting the ASP to the closed position. It could be purely a mental thing but whatever it was, I didn't like it at all.

Back