TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

Even though the TP line was a great product I don't think they had enough marketing behind the line. I also think the line is specifically for a niche group of players, where the 2.0's really branch out to just about every player, depending on whatever club they want to play.

JB do you get any sales numbers from TM or is this just what you hear from reps?

I dont get any information from reps.
I disagree on the marketing. I think they were marketed quite heavily. I just feel as though it shows how little most consumers care about forged vs cast since the proper information has been available for so long.

I still need to hit these...my course never got a demo iron in the R11's :sad:

Every company, every year has their new equipment as "game changing". The 2.0s were no different. They are not producing new products any faster than Adams, Mizuno, or a host of other companies. For the last few years, Taylormade has this rap as being the company that produces 46 drivers a year. Yet look at the timeline. R11 and SuperFast 2.0 are still the only driver released and we are 3 quarters of the way through 2011.

Then people say they release too many irons. But in reality they have always had the two lines (last few years anyway). Burner and R series. Both have different versions and both are separate releases. No different than Ping lets say with the S line and G line being released at different times.

The demand by some to release a forged product (for whatever the reason), let TaylorMade re-release the Tour Preferred irons. This was an iron set that was popular a few years ago and then was rolled into the R9 TPs rather than having 3 lines. The Tour Preferred set is not 3 different iron sets. It is one iron set that people can mix and match to choose what they want. Its the Tour Preferred line.

To me its no different than Mizuno having 5 sets of irons in their line at a given time and yet nobody ever says a thing about that for some reason. I do find it incredibly odd that nobody ever mentions Mizuno and Adams when it comes to product releases and yet always mention TaylorMade. Every company is guilty of this and its only going to get worse. Why? Because as this game as always been a game of social credit, people must have the latest and the greatest for some reason more so what works for their game. And while the two can be one and the same, they are not always.
Very well said JB. I agree about Mizuno. They have a lot of of irons out there, and no one ever says a word about them.

Took my R11's on the course today after only being able to hit them on the range once. Really awesome feel, but I need to get my distances sorted out. With my R9's I used to take an easy 9 iron to the green from 130m away... did that today and ended up well over the green. Feel is superb though and the forgiveness on miss hits was something awesome. Saved me on at least two occasions where I hit it on the toe. Overall very very happy with the purchase, and it definitely feels like an upgrade from the R9's.

Three others in my fourball also wanted to try a shot with them, of which there was a 7,9 and 12 handicapper respectively. The 7 handicapper is ordering tomorrow. The other two want to demo.

I went into Golfers Warehouse today and they only have sold 1 set so far. I was shocked as well to hear that. maybe with the 2.0 line only 9 months old and the forged line even newer than that, maybe it will be tough to justify new ones for people with all the new product just being released in less than 1 year. I however, can't wait to get my new R11 irons in!
While I was in GG today I ask one of the sales guys how the R11 irons were selling and he said this: I havent sold a set nor have I seen a set sold. Then be ask the guy at the register if he'd seen any sell yet and he said no too. Then he told me how awesome the JPX-800's were and I was done at the point. To say I was shocked is an understatement. How accurate this is I don't know but surprising still.

Tapatalk: even romosexuals use it

great thread, im looking at ordering the R11s in the next few months i have no reason to rush since im deployed but have the itch to buy and have to delete it from my cart often and resist just incase. Im glad these come with the GP grips as i have been reading good things about them, it seems like the KBS shafts are the way to go for me or custom shaft.

great thread, im looking at ordering the R11s in the next few months i have no reason to rush since im deployed but have the itch to buy and have to delete it from my cart often and resist just incase. Im glad these come with the GP grips as i have been reading good things about them, it seems like the KBS shafts are the way to go for me or custom shaft.

If you can wait, do a fitting when you get home to make sure you get the right shaft. Easy for me to say, I didn't have to wait.

Welcome to THP, and thanks for your service.

If you can wait, do a fitting when you get home to make sure you get the right shaft. Easy for me to say, I didn't have to wait.

lol, only thing is i get can get them tax free thru the military but can only choose the standard options, i plan on getting them fitted when i get back but will try and hold out until i get back...honestly i will probably end up buying them in the next few days because i cant control myself.lol

oh snap your from lakeland. I lived in Plant City for many years and visit often since my parents still live there. what the best course in the area, so when i go down i can try it out.

lol, only thing is i get can get them tax free thru the military but can only choose the standard options, i plan on getting them fitted when i get back but will try and hold out until i get back...honestly i will probably end up buying them in the next few days because i cant control myself.lol

While that is tempting, when you are paying that much money, 60-70 dollars to have something that fits seems like a no brainer rather than spending this kind of money and getting something you have to adjust to or that has the wrong shafts.

I agree. I was a big skeptic of fitting! But I struggled and found out I need 1" long and 2* upright, and my ball striking is so much better now. Getting fitted will save you a lot of headaches down the road

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I went into Golfers Warehouse today and they only have sold 1 set so far. I was shocked as well to hear that. maybe with the 2.0 line only 9 months old and the forged line even newer than that, maybe it will be tough to justify new ones for people with all the new product just being released in less than 1 year. I however, can't wait to get my new R11 irons in!

This may be inaccurate, but I'd imagine that golf sales in general slow down this time of year for retailers in NE as the season wraps up.

This may be inaccurate, but I'd imagine that golf sales in general slow down this time of year for retailers in NE as the season wraps up.

This may be true if taken as a percentage of yearly sales, but I imagine the OEMs base success based on year ago sales or sales of similar launches during the same time of year (and location).

This may be true if taken as a percentage of yearly sales, but I imagine the OEMs base success based on year ago sales or sales of similar launches during the same time of year (and location).

I don't disagree with that, I guess I was making more of a comment that one store selling one set (particularly with salesperson biases) isn't really an indictment about the release as a whole a week after release.

You mean you didn't read all that deeper thinking in the one sentence I posted :act-up:

While that is tempting, when you are paying that much money, 60-70 dollars to have something that fits seems like a no brainer rather than spending this kind of money and getting something you have to adjust to or that has the wrong shafts.

i agree 100% but the purchase thru the military comes from a different pot of money for me. so i was defeated by the urge and bought them today, just knowing they will be waitin for me at home means i can rest easy.

Well after hitting these alongside Mizuno MP-59s, Callaway Razr X Tours & TaylorMade TP CBs I have pulled the trigger and ordered the R11s. There wasn't a lot in it between the R11s and CBs but I was hitting the R11s slightly better.

The Mizunos were only fractionally longer than my current irons and not as forgiving as the others. The Callways were a big disappointment for me. They didn't have as nice a feel or sound as the TaylorMades. In fact I hit one with the RXTs that felt and flew like it came from the toe but the mark was on the center of the club face.

I have ordered 5-PW,AW & SW to replace the Ping i3s and my 25* rescue club. I will post some pics once I receive them.

Well after hitting these alongside Mizuno MP-59s, Callaway Razr X Tours & TaylorMade TP CBs I have pulled the trigger and ordered the R11s. There wasn't a lot in it between the R11s and CBs but I was hitting the R11s slightly better.

The Mizunos were only fractionally longer than my current irons and not as forgiving as the others. The Callways were a big disappointment for me. They didn't have as nice a feel or sound as the TaylorMades. In fact I hit one with the RXTs that felt and flew like it came from the toe but the mark was on the center of the club face.

I have ordered 5-PW,AW & SW to replace the Ping i3s and my 25* rescue club. I will post some pics once I receive them.

Congrats on your purchase Gillesam...obviously I'm biased, but I think you will really enjoy these. Should be a nice upgrade from the i3s.

Congrats guys on buying them, I am dying waiting on mine.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I haven't touched a golf club in 4 days and I miss my R11 irons most of all. I'm playing tomorrow and will have a lot more to say about them after that round.

I was fortunate to play a demo set at our club on Sunday so it's hard to truly comment on pro's and con's as they were not fit for me but I came away with enough to intrique me. The set was 4-AW with KBS Steel Reg Flex - Standard lie, length, loft. Ideally I'm +1 inch on the length and 2 up. Out of 16 strikes on the course I can chart 11 good to great results and 6 strikes that "felt" better than anything I've hit all year. Now the 5 shots that didn't make the list were probably 5 of the worst strikes of the year and the club let me know it. These are certainly not an SGI club but offer enough forgiveness and feedback to keep you honest and happy. I found that I really have to stay down and through the ball, something that my Razr's reward me for on good shots but also let me get away with when I'm lazy. The R11's don't allow me to be lazy, which is a good thing if you want to improve in all aspects of your game. If I wasn't traveling the fruited plain for work this week I'd sneak over and take them out again.

R11 Irons:

I played my first rounds with the R11 irons post Morgan Cup this weekend. It felt great to get them on the course and get some quality swings with them. I love these irons and they will be in the bag for a loooooong time. Ihave definitely picked up a few yards of carry with these compared to my old Tour Burners. I had an approach shot on a par 5 Saturday that I lasered 194 to pin and ended up flying the pin by 25' or so with a 4i. The R11 4i is so much easier to hit from my old iron. I used to cringe when I had to hit my 4i from anywhere but the tee. I had a tough time making solid contact with the TB 4i and would end up hitting them thin or weak slices. I think that has changed now.
I did have a few pulls Saturday that cost me a few strokes, but Sunday I had the swing in check and hit some really nice shots. Most were high and straight or with a very slight draw. The irons caught some eyes on the course as well. One guy on the range asked me a bunch of questions about them and is in severe ponder mode right now he said. He actually had the 2.0's and is planning on trading them in the for the R11's.

Excellent recap DJ! Nothing like being able to stripe a long iron with confidence and comfort. I know you've been itching to get back out there with them.

As for me, call me intrigued still. After seeing some comparison pictures, compliments of DD, aka DJ, the R11's possess some lovely profiles that I like. It's no secret how I feel about the R9's and these imo, offer a sleeker package with similar performance, and longer distance. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

I am dying for some more feedback on these.

Excellent recap DJ! Nothing like being able to stripe a long iron with confidence and comfort. I know you've been itching to get back out there with them.

As for me, call me intrigued still. After seeing some comparison pictures, compliments of DD, aka DJ, the R11's possess some lovely profiles that I like. It's no secret how I feel about the R9's and these imo, offer a sleeker package with similar performance, and longer distance. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

I am dying for some more feedback on these.

I checked these out at Dick's yesterday and I will say that I liked the looks of them MUCH better in person.

I checked these out at Dick's yesterday and I will say that I liked the looks of them MUCH better in person.

They look pretty sweet in the flesh don't they?

Back