TaylorMade Rescue 11 Hybrid Review Thread

I boxed my irons and driver up to be shipped and the buyer backed out, but I don't want to unpack them. So if I do go play all I'll have in the bag is M2, M3, Rescue 11 18*, 52*, 58*, and putter. After I typed this and read it, I started thinking this might actually be a bunch of fun. I think I could still shoot 80. Might just have to give it a shot.

did you sell your irons just because you got picked for the VR Pro Combo testing? just curious as i would at least wait awhile to make sure they work out good for ya, just my opinion though lol, would hate to see you be stuck with a set that doesnt work well. I also think that round would be fun, M2 off the tee, Rescue11 for chipping/bump and runs, wedge and putter for well ya know lol

So here we are, where did that three months go?! I have really enjoyed testing the R11 rescue with my fellow THPers and I hope the info I have given has helped other THPers confident in their choice for a new hybrid this year. I have definitely had my ups and downs with this club. I have really enjoyed being able to compared this club with some other hybrids thanks to my local course providing me with some demo clubs to compare in order to give the best and more comprehensive comparison I could give. Now, on to my final thoughts of the Taylormade R11 Rescue.

My first hybrid I ever bought was 2 years ago, and it was the Nike Slingshot Tour 18*. It was my go-to club any time I wanted to make sure I hit it straight. At the time I bought it I thought it was just an amazing club all around, but I must say that compared to many of this years hybrids it just does not hold a candle to them. Hybrids have come a long way just in these 2 short years, and I had the priveledge of trying the R11, the Mashie, the VR Pro, and the 910h.

I must say I see where all the hype comes from for the Mashie. If the Mashie had a nicer look to it, or even a black finish for that matter, it would probably be in my bag this year. However, the Mashie is too ugly for my taste, and the R11 is the most beautiful hybrid I have ever seen. That is the first thing I noticed about this club is how nice it looks, and how the black face contrasts with the head perfectly for easy alignment. I have heard some people say TM just says that as a marketing strategy, but it really does work! This is not the most forgiving club. For me it works well because I strike the ball well. My misses are just closing the face a little bit too much sometimes on my long irons, as well as my hybrid, but I hit the center of the club face very consistently. So for me the lack of forgiveness on this club was not an issue, but I will say that for those who aren't confident in their ball striking they may want to compare this with others before rushing out and buying one. If you do hit this in the center of the club face, you will be AMAZED at the results. I just get a little smile on my face every time I hit a nice shot with this club. Well struck shots get started on a nice higher trajectory. I was able to cut some corners on some doglegs because if I hit my ball in the right spot of the fairway I could hit it over the trees at the corner because of the flight of the ball. I could not do this before, and the Mashie was the only other club I could do this with this year as well. If you want a hybrid that really helps get the ball off the ground, this or the Mashie is it! Anyhow, impact feels very nice and soft, and the sound is very pleasing as well. Not too loud, and a nice "ting" to let you know you struck it well. Hitting this club out of any lie, and I mean ANY lie, is fairly easy. I was able to hit it well from the tee, fairway, rough, this rough, and yes, even foot-long grass. Some of my friends were amazed when I didn't take a drop after hitting in some long grass a few weeks ago. They thought it was too buried to get out and I should just take the stroke and drop. But no, I struck it cleanly and it went nice and straight up the fairway and was able to save my par. The weight of this club head really helps it move through the grass nicely, and this was one area where I really felt it outshined the Mashie. I just didn't feel the Mashie moved through the rough as well. My favorite place to use this club is the tee. The confidence I got with this club off the tee is second to none. I am able to shape my shot any way I want, and even hit it lower if I need to as well. Working the ball on any shot with this club is pretty easy on the tee or out of the fairway. Feeling the clubhead through the whole swing is an advantage because it helps me know where the head it and it makes it easier to control my tempo and swing to produce the shot I want when I know where the clubhead is at all times. So overall performance is a 9/10, only losing a point because of the lack of forgiveness.

I am really excited to have been selected for this opportunity. Thank you SOOOO much THP and Taylormade for this opportunity. I hope my feedback is what you were looking for throughout these last 3 months because I really enjoyed it and I hope others can benefit from my feedback. I tip my hat to you, thanks again!

Lastly, I will post some pics of the club, just as I did when I unboxed it. Now at the end of the 3 months you can see how much the face does get worn like myself and others have mentioned through the testing period. You will notice the silver slivers on the face, and a couple of chips in the white paint right where the face meets the head. This is really my only complaint about the club, but you do not notice the wear when it is in playing position.

Here you can see the slivers on the face, and even the small chips off the white paint where it meets the top of the club head. (Let me just clarify because some THP members are good at picking things out from the background...I am NOT a Tennessee fan, I just have a Peyton Manning fathead of him in college and it came with the Vols sticker, lol)
IMG_0110.jpg

Closer up you can see the chips of white paint that have come off
IMG_0112.jpg

At playing position you cannot see the slivers or chips. Looks brand new!
IMG_0114.jpg

good stuff IN, mine also shows some of the silver specs, not very noticable unless the light hits it just right

Yeah in the sunlight they show a little more, I had to try and catch it in the right light indoors in order for them to show in a photo. Again, I don't want people to think that this is not a huge distraction when playing, but for people who are really picky about making sure their clubs don't get a scratch on them and want them to look new all the time then this might bother them. The only thing I hope is that the white chips don't break off even further back on the head as time goes by. I don't imagine they will, but I hope not.

did you sell your irons just because you got picked for the VR Pro Combo testing? just curious as i would at least wait awhile to make sure they work out good for ya, just my opinion though lol, would hate to see you be stuck with a set that doesnt work well. I also think that round would be fun, M2 off the tee, Rescue11 for chipping/bump and runs, wedge and putter for well ya know lol

I have my irons all boxed up and ready to sell and don't feel like having to unpack, reclean, and repack them. Haha. Also, regardless of whether the VR Pro Combos work for me or not I was selected to test them for 3 months so I don't need to hold onto my Adams since I wouldn't be using them for 3 months. Another thing is that now I've been fit for irons so from here on out I'll always get irons to my specs, which the Adams were not.

Yeah in the sunlight they show a little more, I had to try and catch it in the right light indoors in order for them to show in a photo. Again, I don't want people to think that this is not a huge distraction when playing, but for people who are really picky about making sure their clubs don't get a scratch on them and want them to look new all the time then this might bother them. The only thing I hope is that the white chips don't break off even further back on the head as time goes by. I don't imagine they will, but I hope not.

That's so crazy with the chips. (ok total skim shady) Did all the testers find this happening? Is it the actual paint from the crown?!?!

Great reviews btw. I can't remember if I offered, but if any THPers are interested in buying, lemme know and I can give you a price quote.

Thanks Testers for working so hard these last three months.

That's so crazy with the chips. (ok total skim shady) Did all the testers find this happening? Is it the actual paint from the crown?!?!

Great reviews btw. I can't remember if I offered, but if any THPers are interested in buying, lemme know and I can give you a price quote.

I found no chipping. I was actually extremely surprised how well the white paint held up on the top of the club head and where it meets the face. I know I chunked and skied a few with the Rescue 11 and where the white from the club head meets the black of the club face it is still a clean line with maybe a couple minor imperfections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke

I found no chipping. I was actually extremely surprised how well the white paint held up on the top of the club head and where it meets the face. I know I chunked and skied a few with the Rescue 11 and where the white from the club head meets the black of the club face it is still a clean line with maybe a couple minor imperfections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke

Interesting. I remember on the driver thread (I think) that someone asked about chipping and someone who had an r11 mentioned there was none at all and that he had never heard if the ghosted stuff chipping.

I have not had any problems with chipping or anything like that with the R11 driver, just with the hybrid.

Sorry for the skim, but at work and try to keep it as short as possible.

Anyone of the testers with a 4H 21* that have changed the loft to 22* and if so how much did it affect the length of your shot?

Tappin' for world peace!

Sorry for the skim, but at work and try to keep it as short as possible.

Anyone of the testers with a 4H 21* that have changed the loft to 22* and if so how much did it affect the length of your shot?

Tappin' for world peace!

Yes i have the 4h and raised it up to 22* on the range a couple times and the ball flight was def higher and more left for me, distance loss wasnt much. probably 5 yards

Patty, mine only chipped the first range session, as soon as i got mine for testing i wanted to test how durable the white paint was to shots high on the face/sky shot and so i teed a couple balls up on and skyed them on purpose, only thing that happened was a little chip where the white paint meets the black face, no dummy mark or anything though, the white is so durable!!!

Yes i have the 4h and raised it up to 22* on the range a couple times and the ball flight was def higher and more left for me, distance loss wasnt much. probably 5 yards

That wasn't a big distance loss. What is your average SS 10YD? And how far do you generally reach? 190-200 yards?

Tappin' for world peace!

That wasn't a big distance loss. What is your average SS 10YD? And how far do you generally reach? 190-200 yards?

Tappin' for world peace!

no sure on my SS but i usually use my 6iron for 190-200, if there is wind in my face i will use the rescue11 for that shot though. The distance loss for me wasnt much like i said, it was more left and higher though.

no sure on my SS but i usually use my 6iron for 190-200, if there is wind in my face i will use the rescue11 for that shot though. The distance loss for me wasnt much like i said, it was more left and higher though.

Holy moly you pack some punch there when using 6iron for 190-200yard shots :)

Tappin' for world peace!

Wow I use my 6 iron for about 170-175!

its a hard 6 iron, we have a par 3 thats 200 exactly and when there is no wind i use my 6 iron and have actually put it over the green a couple times when i hit it a litle thin, im hitting my irons allot farther this year than last year for some reason, could be all the lifting stuff at work lol

it seems as if I can't hit this bad off a tee! Man the ball just flys!! I love my 200-210 club!!!

it seems as if I can't hit this bad off a tee! Man the ball just flys!! I love my 200-210 club!!!

i know what ya mean bullfrog, the Rescue11 is MONEY off the tee

i know what ya mean bullfrog, the Rescue11 is MONEY off the tee

Diddo to that! For some reason the ball just comes off even hotter than usual off the tee.

Patty, mine only chipped the first range session, as soon as i got mine for testing i wanted to test how durable the white paint was to shots high on the face/sky shot and so i teed a couple balls up on and skyed them on purpose, only thing that happened was a little chip where the white paint meets the black face, no dummy mark or anything though, the white is so durable!!!

Hm. Interesting. Still good to know that that's how the club reacts if you sky the ball on accident or on purpose (ah-hem ... again probably a skimming problem there and that's why I missed that).

Ya this club in the right hands is a fariway finding bomber! Easily the most versatile club in my bag as I can work it different distances if my irons are off and I can punch, bump, and just flat out kill the ball. I spent the better part of the afternoon hitting various comeptitors clubs, and this one came out on top over and over again. (Adams V3 then Mashie for yesterdays tests).

Now if they made a white Raylor???

This club is a monster off the tee, no doubt about it.

It seems as if I hit every green on 200 yd par 3's with this. I lub it!

Back