TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

I feel like I have been really grooving with the MCs lately. I feel like these things are very accurate and the distances are right on. I am very happy, however, that I decided to go with the CBin the 5 iron. It offers a little bit moe forgiveness and is easier to get in the air than the MC 5 iron. However, when it comes down to the scoring irons (7-PW) I am really glad that I have them in the MCs. It is easier for me to control the trajectory of the MCs over the CBs and the weighting and the turf interaction is just so nice with the MCs. I do love these irons so much!

What exactly is a bad day to you? Not being smart or talking bad about your game, just asking because I feel like the stability/forgiveness of these irons noticeably surpasses what testers and other people who own these have been posting.

I'll elaborate a little with on course findings.

I hit several shots the other day that I thought I had struck extremely well (beautiful flight stopped dead in it's pitch mark or rolled back a bit) and when I looked at the face there was the true story of what happened. A couple a little high on the face *no noticeable difference*, one that was a couple of grooves too low *okay, I definately felt and heard this one but it still flew true to distance. just a little lower ballflight but still stopped only a few feet from it's pitch mark when I thought for sure it was rolling off the back of the green*, and even one a bit toward the toe but still in the grooves *I could feel the ball on this one and got just a few more yards of right to left movement than usual, but no noticeable loss in distance*. I didn't see any difference in flight that would be remarkable to the non-trained eye if I just kept the ball in a spot about the size of a fifty cent piece.
Actually, when I pick up a dry erase marker I'll draw a circle around what I feel is the playable hitting area on the face of these. Totally subjective of course, but it'll just be MY thoughts on the sweet...ish spot.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

A bad day for me is a day when I don't have good distance control and I don't have any consistency. When I first started out testing these irons, I thought there was some good forgiveness there, but after changing to a more forgiving iron it became apparent that these just aren't forgiving for me. My swing is somewhat consistent but like every other golfer I have good days and bad. Bad days are days when I miss more out towards the toe or I catch balls thin. To me there is a clear difference in the results on these irons when I miss out on the toe, thin, or high on the face. I'm glad they are working for you in your few rounds that you've had them in play. I won't lie, I felt just like you did when I first started to play them. But things definitely changed along the way for me and I think I am a noticeably better player right now than I was at the beginning of the year.

I am back to playing these irons well again! For the longest time, I have been struggling with my ball striking, but I finally got that sorted out and I am back to hitting these very well. It took me a long time to realize the lack of forgiveness because I was simply hitting the ball very well for several months with these. My ball striking has always been the strength of my game and my weakness tends to come from the driver and wedges. I definitely strike the ball at a single digit HI rate with my loss of strokes coming from putting myself in jail off the tee or not hitting the ball well from 125 and in (GW to LW). I have actually put the 3 iron back in my bag and have taken my 3 H out. I guess you truly find out how forgiving something is when you are struggling and not when you are hitting the ball well.

My biggest praise about these irons is the distance control. The ball always seems to go the exact distance that I want it to go. I was pondering new irons for a while, but now that my swing is grooving again, I just can't bring myself to part with these.

I am back to playing these irons well again! For the longest time, I have been struggling with my ball striking, but I finally got that sorted out and I am back to hitting these very well. It took me a long time to realize the lack of forgiveness because I was simply hitting the ball very well for several months with these. My ball striking has always been the strength of my game and my weakness tends to come from the driver and wedges. I definitely strike the ball at a single digit HI rate with my loss of strokes coming from putting myself in jail off the tee or not hitting the ball well from 125 and in (GW to LW). I have actually put the 3 iron back in my bag and have taken my 3 H out. I guess you truly find out how forgiving something is when you are struggling and not when you are hitting the ball well.

My biggest praise about these irons is the distance control. The ball always seems to go the exact distance that I want it to go. I was pondering new irons for a while, but now that my swing is grooving again, I just can't bring myself to part with these.

You Beast! The 3 iron is no joke! I completely agree with you about the distance control. They are super consistent in that department!

A bad day for me is a day when I don't have good distance control and I don't have any consistency. When I first started out testing these irons, I thought there was some good forgiveness there, but after changing to a more forgiving iron it became apparent that these just aren't forgiving for me. My swing is somewhat consistent but like every other golfer I have good days and bad. Bad days are days when I miss more out towards the toe or I catch balls thin. To me there is a clear difference in the results on these irons when I miss out on the toe, thin, or high on the face. I'm glad they are working for you in your few rounds that you've had them in play. I won't lie, I felt just like you did when I first started to play them. But things definitely changed along the way for me and I think I am a noticeably better player right now than I was at the beginning of the year.

When you say on the toe are we talking the shiny pretty toe, still in the grooves, or kinda ball half in half out? Do you lose distance high on the face due to ballooning or just a generally weaker ball flight?

Tempo, timing, tapping.

When you say on the toe are we talking the shiny pretty toe, still in the grooves, or kinda ball half in half out? Do you lose distance high on the face due to ballooning or just a generally weaker ball flight?

Tempo, timing, tapping.

I lose a lot of distance when I hit the ball high on the face. I had a 6 iron to a pin that was 190 yards away and my distance with a 6 iron is 185 so I was trying to hit the middle of the green. The ball was in the rough and I hit it high on the club face. I ended up only hitting it about 165 yards. I lost about 20 yards by missing the sweet spot high.

Still on the grooves. I lose distance on the face due to a weak ball flight.

I lose a lot of distance when I hit the ball high on the face. I had a 6 iron to a pin that was 190 yards away and my distance with a 6 iron is 185 so I was trying to hit the middle of the green. The ball was in the rough and I hit it high on the club face. I ended up only hitting it about 165 yards. I lost about 20 yards by missing the sweet spot high.

Pretty much what I have seen Seth. For a club that I once thought had enough forgiveness for me, I now know that it doesn't. It's the reason that I need to play them by taking an extra club and take less of a swing.

So it has been a long time between posts. I have now had three months of my mc/mb split set. Started of with 4-5mc and 6-9mb but loved them so much especially the 4 iron to start off with that I decided that I would get the 3 mc and pwmc, best decision I have made in ages. I like all irons in the set mb and mc are totally amazing. The 3 iron is so good, removed the 3 hybrid and havn't looked back, lost two and a half strokes off my handicap, and playing to it every week. Only issues I have are the same as any golf club miss hit and it goes not as far (but thats golf really, hit a bad shot and what do you expect). I have taken a long time to get use to the fact that they go so much straighter than my old clubs, so I end up allowing for a draw and miss the green by 5 meters. Totally totally love these clubs, cant wait for the next weekend so I can play again!

Glad you are liking them Alex! I keep on wanting to stray from them, but I keep on keeping them in the bag. I love the 3 iron in this set because my misses with it are more manageable than my misses with a 3 H.

I'm not in the market for irons, but man-oh-man these are good looking irons. I have to stop and check them out any time I run across them. However, I refuse to swing these because I don't wanna tempt myself.

I'm not in the market for irons, but man-oh-man these are good looking irons. I have to stop and check them out any time I run across them. However, I refuse to swing these because I don't wanna tempt myself.

They do feel oh so good.

I happened to be in the pro shop today. And the pro walked me over to his bag and said. I know you been looking at upgrading. Want these? Pointing to his set of MC's. Looks like I got a new set of irons for very little. Sorry burners you need to make room. Love the feel. And impressed at how they stop on the green.

It took me a long time to realize the lack of forgiveness because I was simply hitting the ball very well for several months with these.
This has been the biggest thing for me. With my old Callaway's I use to play a nice 10 yard cut. Now, with these irons, I try and play the same cut, it just goes straight! I have to align myself more to the hole or position on the green I'm hitting to because it just doesn't move that much anymore. Nice problem to have!!!

For my first full round with these today. Really love them. Ball just lands so soft. I was worried about distance coming from the burner 2.0s but these are only a half club shorter.
I had an A wedge in my burners. Not sure what I should bag since the MCs did not come with one. MB, MC or different model?

For my first full round with these today. Really love them. Ball just lands so soft. I was worried about distance coming from the burner 2.0s but these are only a half club shorter.
I had an A wedge in my burners. Not sure what I should bag since the MCs did not come with one. MB, MC or different model?

I just use a 50* xFT wedge as my aw/gw. Seems to works well.
In other news my MCs are now put away for the winter. Booo

Living in rhode island I am on borrowed time. However weather today was shirt only even on a course on the water. Got to play rhode island country club today. Crazy pretty.

I know this is a discussion of the TM MCs...but can someone who has played the MC's and Ping S56 share some insights?? Preferably who tried the S56 with KBS C-tapers.....thanks...I have the S56 on ebay but don't know if I should put some KBS on and would be happier than MC's.....thanks....a quick help would be appreciated.....

Sorry if this is wrong place to ask this....just in a bind!!!

I use a 52º wedge because the PW is 47º and that gives me 5º difference.

I use a 50* xFT because I feel like the MCs are a little longer than the xFTs, also I generally dont hit full shots with my xFTs.

SethO......dmb012 posted in the R11 iron thread that you guys might of tried and compared the R11 irons to the MC's this last weekend when you played. I'm curious as to what you think the comparision is between the 2 irons and how they are different. What about feel between the 2? Did you 2 get to compare?

SethO......dmb012 posted in the R11 iron thread that you guys might of tried and compared the R11 irons to the MC's this last weekend when you played. I'm curious as to what you think the comparision is between the 2 irons and how they are different. What about feel between the 2? Did you 2 get to compare?

We forgot to do that. HAHA Sorry. We will get together next week on the range and do a comparison. Sorry about that Nate.

We forgot to do that. HAHA Sorry. We will get together next week on the range and do a comparison. Sorry about that Nate.
Damn you all to................

Now worries! Not looking to get the R11's but it's just curiosity of the mind since they seem to be the closest match.

I'll be looking forward to your 2 hour review once it's completed! :D

Back