Tendonitis - Golfers Elbow

It as been said I am sure but R.I.C.E. and therapy.. If not it will be a long haul back... Mine lasted a year, without it.. Yes, I have a hard time taking my own advice.

I agree that tape may just be a placebo. Cycling is fighting off the SpiderTech invasion...

It as been said I am sure but R.I.C.E. and therapy.. If not it will be a long haul back... Mine lasted a year, without it.. Yes, I have a hard time taking my own advice.

I agree that tape may just be a placebo. Cycling is fighting off the SpiderTech invasion...
I think the best therapy is to stop golfing for a month. I did it, but it wan't easy! Especially smack dab in the middle of prime golf season. But I knew I needed to or it would only get worse.

The stretching exercises are necessary too, but quitting for a while is the most important. You don't want this becoming chronic.

Should have a review up soon about a product that might help with this.

Should have a review up soon about a product that might help with this.

I am VERY interested in this review.

I think the best therapy is to stop golfing for a month. I did it, but it wan't easy! The stretching exercises are necessary too, but quitting for a while is the most important. You don't want this becoming chronic.
\

Thankfully my episode came at the end of the season here last year. You have it right though. Chronic is a nasty thing. Strengthening is vital too, keeping it from coming back is as important as getting rid of the pain. I made some swing changes to help out with the elbow as well - that was a huge help in not having it come back as well.

I've only played a couple of times the last month, and the elbow feels great. Still doing the stretching even though I haven't been playing.

I can't wait for the 2013 season to start so I can really go at improving in the new year.

I will book mark this thread too OG, I used to suffer from Tennis Elbow when I was an active bowler.

I am a bowler also, and I had a bout of it about 10 years ago that was miserable. Turning the doorknob to get in the house was absolute agony.

I found that it was the same in golf, in fact, I gave up the game for a year, because I would play 9 holes, come home, take four or five Advil, and my elbow would hurt for a week.

The cause of the problem was the same in both sports. I was squeezing the ball constantly in bowling, and putting the death grip on my clubs when I played golf. I got my clubs regripped with the fat grips, had the bowling ball redrilled and bought one of the Band-It elbow braces with the magnets. The pain went away in a week and has not reared it's ugly head again.

You can be sure I still have that Band-it though. Those things are great.

Last edited:
Kind of off topic as I have no problem with my elbow but both my wrists and right pinky finger both suffer greatly from some serious tendon pains. I know what's up with my wrists but I've got to get the pinky checked out soon.

First round in a month today and this was the first time since June that my elbow felt completely fine after my round (and 4-1/2 hours later, it still does). It hasn't hurt in a while, but was always "tight" after playing until today. Hopefully that means it's all good now.

Glad to hear that smalls. I hope it stays pain free for good.
I have been having this issue since Labor Day weekend. I had not played since June, due to work, and I had to charity events on back to back weekends coming up. Needed to get in some range time. I hurt the elbow on Sunday, but just tought it was from 3 hours of beating balls. Went back on Monday for 2 more hours and some putting and chipping. When OI got home I could barely move my arm. That is when I realised that this was not a muscle issue. I rested it until the 2 outings and then gave it a go. The first one was not thatbad, but the second one, 6 days later, it was next to impossible to swing the club. One of our foursome told me to take a few alieve to get through the round. It worked great after it kicked in. That was about hole 6. I did not touch another club until the Dallas get together back in October. THe first 7 holes it hurt like all get out. And I had on one of those cheap supports. The other players thought I should go head and pack it in for the day after see how much pain it was causing me. Well I get hard headed when it comes to golfing. I took off he support and said I was going to play on. The back 9 and then on Sunday, I played with minimal pain and had a great time with the THP members. I was not going to miss that. Today when I plan on going to the course to play or for range time, I always grab a couple of alieve at least 2 hours before and try to warm up slowly. It really seems to help me.

I had "tennis elbow" a few years ago. I also don't play tennis, but that's what the injury is called. "Tennis elbow is soreness or pain on the outside (lateral) side of the upper arm near the elbow." Golfer's elbow is the same injury but on the medial/inside of the elbow joint.
I also work in healthcare and tried rest, ice, local heat, NSAIDS, and the arm brace. It wasn't getting better.
I ran into a lady I didn't even know and she saw the brace in my arm. She asked me if I had "tennis elbow from playing golf?" She told me to try the following stretching exercise and it WORKED! Every now and then if it flairs up, I do the exercise and it quickly resolves. It sounds weird but here it is:
Hold your palms together with your elbows out to the side. Your plams should be right in front of your sternum and next to your chest. Push your palms together until you feel the outer part of your elbow under a little stretch. Hold it for several seconds, and repeat several times a day until the pain stops. Repeat as needed when symptoms recur. Like I said, sounds wierd but it worke dfor me after all the other stuff failed.

Stretching helps, but to eliminate completely you have to rest it. Tendonitis is an overuse injury, so at some point you have to stop using for it to go away. You can stretch and use advil, etc. but it should disappear completely after a few weeks.

I get it a lot in running, but my left wrist ended up in pain a couple months ago. Wrist braces helped (tried to play with a brace on once), but ignored the clubs for a few weeks and it's now gone completely. Same thing always happens with the running injuries.

Think I might give that a try next timeI get that pain. Sounds simple enough, and if the pain persists, More as alieve.
I do believe as stretching and getting back into a work out program this winter will really help.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I've had it pretty bad this year. Mainly "tennis elbow". Fought through it. Finally went to the doctor here in town and gave me some strength and stretching exercises to do, but told me that I could keep on playing and that it should heal on its own. Well it didn't. So I took a month off. It's almost been 4 weeks now and the pain is about 95% gone. Use to hurt real bad while doing the stretching but not now. Can't wait to get back out and try my new irons. Switched to graphite shafts in my irons. Hopefully that will relieve some the stress on my joints.

James

I have the same problem, didn't go balls for a month. Luckily it's been crappy weather. I've been stretching it and swinging a training club, slow motion swings. Hit balls the other day, pain is 95% gone. Swing felt good, solid irons.

Tap

By the way, it is spelled tendinitis even though there are tendons involved. The pain is caused by inflammation and stretching indeed does help, as does rest. If you can get the inflammation to subside by any of the many remedies available, there is a chance it may not return if you are able to go easy and not push it too hard. I had inflamed tendons in my right foot due to bone spurs and limped for seven months before the inflammation subsided last December. I was walking 18 holes many days and even 27 a lot of days when the inflammation developed in May of 2011. I cut back on all my walking and used a cart for most of my golf over the seven months of limping. Now, I walk 1 1/2 hilly miles around the perimeter of my course every morning and ride a cart when I play later in the day. The inflammation has not returned. In an effort to reduce my elevated blood sugar level on the advice of my doctor, I adopted a more regular exercise pattern and a better diet and do not take any medication. She noted that my decreased blood sugar level likely has helped in preventing the foot pain from returning. Lower blood sugar helps minimize inflammation, she says.

By the way, it is spelled tendinitis even though there are tendons involved. The pain is caused by inflammation and stretching indeed does help, as does rest. If you can get the inflammation to subside by any of the many remedies available, there is a chance it may not return if you are able to go easy and not push it too hard. I had inflamed tendons in my right foot due to bone spurs and limped for seven months before the inflammation subsided last December. I was walking 18 holes many days and even 27 a lot of days when the inflammation developed in May of 2011. I cut back on all my walking and used a cart for most of my golf over the seven months of limping. Now, I walk 1 1/2 hilly miles around the perimeter of my course every morning and ride a cart when I play later in the day. The inflammation has not returned. In an effort to reduce my elevated blood sugar level on the advice of my doctor, I adopted a more regular exercise pattern and a better diet and do not take any medication. She noted that my decreased blood sugar level likely has helped in preventing the foot pain from returning. Lower blood sugar helps minimize inflammation, she says.
It's actually spelled both ways.

I havn't touched a club since March 10th & I finally am feeling better. We played 27 holes on the 10th and while it hurt after that week, the next weekend I did some yard work and really over-exerted the elbow. I was following a little different routine trying massage & stretching but that seemed to hurt as well... Frustrating. I went off the pain killers for a week then took a couple on Saturday. There shouldn't be any temptations to play for nearly two more weeks so I'm hoping that will do it. My grip strength has seemingly returned and the only discomfort is straightening my arm and turning my wrist back, palm out at the same time. Even then its a 1 or 2 compared to the 7 or 8 I was experiencing just a week ago.

I must say the late winter has been a blessing in disguise. I had a dozen rounds in by now last year...

I'm really debating whether to switch to graphite or not. After some physical therapy, my elbow is feeling better, so I think my bout with it may have just been a temporary issue. Having played steel all my life, I'm nervous about just up and switching to graphite for an elbow problem which may or may not exist.

Late arrival to this thread here. I had the same problem last year until I changed my swing. I mainly dealt with it by icing my elbow after range time.

We should start a support group lol. I tore mine up almost 2 months ago and it will get close to going away and something stupid will re-agrivate it like shaking a can of glass cleaner trying to lift something too heavy. I've gotten back some strength but still only at 60%. I'm guessing the only thing to do is be patient? My trainer said ice the muscle and not the bone and do push exercises only no pulling. It's a terrible and stupid injury, I haven't touched a club since Orlando with the exception of a couple chips and putts.

We should start a support group lol. I tore mine up almost 2 months ago and it will get close to going away and something stupid will re-agrivate it like shaking a can of glass cleaner trying to lift something too heavy. I've gotten back some strength but still only at 60%. I'm guessing the only thing to do is be patient? My trainer said ice the muscle and not the bone and do push exercises only no pulling. It's a terrible and stupid injury, I haven't touched a club since Orlando with the exception of a couple chips and putts.

Take a month of golf and you should be fine. Stretching exercises for the elbow help a ton.

I'm really debating whether to switch to graphite or not. After some physical therapy, my elbow is feeling better, so I think my bout with it may have just been a temporary issue. Having played steel all my life, I'm nervous about just up and switching to graphite for an elbow problem which may or may not exist.

Consider the Dynamic Gold w/ sensicore inserts. They took my pain away late last year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Have an old elbow injury which has been getting sore in recent years so I bought a cheap iron set w/graphite this winter to see if it would help. Only have one round in with them do to weather, but when I finished that one round I was thrilled. No pain and given the temps were cold and ground froze I am feeling confident this will extend my golfing years where I can play regularly pain free.

Only downside so far is the cranked lofts of the irons brought about some gap issues, end result whole bag has turned over, I know some would see this as a plus. Plus side for me is the top of my bag is now what I always wanted, if everything works on course the way I anticipate gap wise.

A couple of Q's... Are you guys switching to graphite for a lighter weight shaft? Or a softer feel?

A few posts have mentioned changing swings to avoid pain or that have led to pain? Anyone care to elaborate there?

In the two rounds on the simulator that led to my elbow pain back in early February I was really focusing in setting my wrists, getting a good shoulder turn on my backswing & siwnging from the inside. The results were great but I wonder if something there is what triggered the tendon strain? Also, I have been absolutely chained to my computer at work for 6 months which really doesn't help.

Back