TESTED! Graphite Design Tour AD Shafts

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
There is little doubt that the Graphite Design Tour AD line of shafts are known for performance and quality. With their vast lineup of offerings, we get a lot of questions asking about the differences between models. It is time for another TESTED! where we put the gear to the test and show the swings and data and then break it down for you.

We took out the variables of grip, length and club head and hit them all against each other and break down the data to show you what the differences are between the different lines. Six different Graphite Design Tour AD shafts as well as two more from the MAD lineup made this a fun one to tackle.

Tour AD DI
Tour AD IZ
Tour AD MJ
Tour AD VR
Tour AD HDT
our AD XC
MAD
MAD Pro

Each shaft was put to the test with the brand new Callaway Epic Speed driver head. We rotated the head around the different shafts rather than use different heads. Each shaft was gripped with a Golf Pride Tour Velvet, as well as cut to play at exactly 45 inches in length.

Lots of swings were taken and every data point recorded on the Foresight GCQuad in the THP Tech Studio. The video below features a break down of the different shafts as well as all of the data averages taken from the swings.

Do you play Graphite Design Tour AD shafts now? If so which one? If not, which model do you think will best suit you based on the information above? If you like the content above, do not forget to subscribe to THP TV so you never miss a new episode of TESTED! or any of our other videos that come out.

For more information on their entire lineup of shafts, check out their at www.proschoicegolfshafts.com

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a fun and interesting test, hopefully people find it useful

Fun review. Really good numbers from that AD HD for @jdtox.

The HD and IZ have always been a big interest for me, but have not been able to hit them really. Did hit the IZ briefly about a year ago and it felt great, but did get to get any numbers or anything.

great video guys and the info was top notch

That's actually really helpful. Was there a big feel difference between shaft profiles?

Still think their naming of shafts is unnecessarily abstract and easily confused.

That's actually really helpful. Was there a big feel difference between shaft profiles?

Still think their naming of shafts is unnecessarily abstract and easily confused.
Absolutely. Not necessarily when in hand but could tell the difference when swinging. Some of the profiles worked instantly and some just didn't feel right at all for my swing.

This is an interesting analysis and discussion about it. It's something I really crave as I try to become more knowledgeable with shafts. Like was mentioned in the video, just speaks to the importance of fitting, something I have yet to do.

Would love to see more of this with different, including dispersion, and talk about which shaft would be the choice, and why. Across all clubs too, Driver, irons, etc. But a great video, thanks guys!

• Staff
That and the MAD pro really clicked with me
It was fun to see, I remember first swings with both of those drew a silent (because we were recording) wow from me. The fit was undeniable.

This is a great video and review. Really useful information. Well done! :cool:

The nice thing is, they put all the info out there to differentiate the profiles for everyone to digest. Also, it’s nice knowing they never add to the line for the sake of it, a new shaft will always be filling what they feel to be a void in their matrix.

this was cool info. capt @jdtox was putting a good move on the ball! just goes to show how shafts of varying profiles much subtle differences, not wholesale changes when the swings are pretty consistent in testing. nicely done here. enjoyed this very much.

This is an interesting analysis and discussion about it. It's something I really crave as I try to become more knowledgeable with shafts. Like was mentioned in the video, just speaks to the importance of fitting, something I have yet to do.

Would love to see more of this with different, including dispersion, and talk about which shaft would be the choice, and why. Across all clubs too, Driver, irons, etc. But a great video, thanks guys!
What I love doing this is also that it shows the spin differences in shafts aren’t what the internet thinks it is. 422 RPM is a number, yes, but it’s not as drastic as those thinking a shaft can make 1,000’s of RPM’s difference, it’s much more nuanced than that.

Just finished watching the video and thought it provided a great breakdown of the various GD offerings. AD-DI is the only one I have tried and it was not a good fit for me. Launched lower for me like it did for Jeremy.

What I love doing this is also that it shows the spin differences in shafts aren’t what the internet thinks it is. 422 RPM is a number, yes, but it’s not as drastic as those thinking a shaft can make 1,000’s of RPM’s difference, it’s much more nuanced than that.
It is more nuanced, which as a numbers guy I love looking at. It's interesting to see how launch, ball speed, and spin all factor in to create distance. And at what point on the dispersion scale does your requirement for distance cross your threshold for straight drives.

Just finished watching the video and thought it provided a great breakdown of the various GD offerings. AD-DI is the only one I have tried and it was not a good fit for me. Launched lower for me like it did for Jeremy.
It’s got a super stiff tip, and that softer profile in the rest of the shaft makes for a really interesting fit. It’s ultra popular, but it’s also very unique to this day imo.

It is more nuanced, which as a numbers guy I love looking at. It's interesting to see how launch, ball speed, and spin all factor in to create distance. And at what point on the dispersion scale does your requirement for distance cross your threshold for straight drives.
I adore that we get to tell the story here about profile and how it’s more than just high or low launch, spin, or torque even. Profile matters. It’s critical in fit for sure.

Have to watch this tonight, I play an IZ5. Great shaft.

this was cool info. capt @jdtox was putting a good move on the ball! just goes to show how shafts of varying profiles much subtle differences, not wholesale changes when the swings are pretty consistent in testing. nicely done here. enjoyed this very much.
Thanks! It was very interesting to see the subtle differences for sure. Also very interesting that the spin really didn't change all that much but the difference in profile was noticeable for my swing.

Great review and video, numbers were surprisingly close IMOwuth only 7 yards between shortest and longest. Was dispersion pretty consistent?

@jdtox, Without looking at the numbers was there 1 or 2 shafts that just felt right to you? With the number so close I think it would just come down to what felt the best and what you could load most efficiently. Thoughts?

Great review and video, numbers were surprisingly close IMOwuth only 7 yards between shortest and longest. Was dispersion pretty consistent?

@jdtox, Without looking at the numbers was there 1 or 2 shafts that just felt right to you? With the number so close I think it would just come down to what felt the best and what you could load most efficiently. Thoughts?
Yes the AD-HD and MAD-Pro really clicked for me. They also produced the best ball speed of the bunch.

Awesome test!! Thanks.

As a tour AD-IZ user in my Mavrik SZ TD and absolutely love that combo, so was very interested in this video and the differences between the shafts. The only other GD shaft I've used are the older YS-6 and YS-7 from years ago, and loved those shafts as well. Another important differentiator is dispersion and it seems sometimes the shafts that aren't as long may be much better from that perspective. Any chance you can share that data?

I have the TP which i play in the Ping 410 LST, which was not included unfortunately, however i also have the Tensi Orange which is counterbalanced. I have been testing the two without launch monitors. Your review is good because it validates the results the counterbalanced shaft is giving me better overall results than the TP. Comments welcome

As a tour AD-IZ user in my Mavrik SZ TD and absolutely love that combo, so was very interested in this video and the differences between the shafts. The only other GD shaft I've used are the older YS-6 and YS-7 from years ago, and loved those shafts as well. Another important differentiator is dispersion and it seems sometimes the shafts that aren't as long may be much better from that perspective. Any chance you can share that data?

Dispersion was similar across the board, which had just about every shaft around 5-7 yards either side of the center line.

Great video guys! I have always gotten along well with GD shafts, but have struggled with interpreting how their lineup and descriptions may work for my swing and at their higher price points I don't want to gamble with a purchase. This is very helpful!

@jdtox - will either of those shafts make it as your new gamer?

Back