The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recruit talent pool in SC is much different than FL.

That's a compete cop out to me. What that reasoning implies is that a school can only recruit within state or that only schools from recruit rich areas have a chance to win a NC.

I don't buy it.

That's a compete cop out to me. What that reasoning implies is that a school can only recruit within state or that only schools from recruit rich areas have a chance to win a NC.

I don't buy it.

No. Doesn't imply that they can only recruit in state. But some states are certainly richer than others. Spurrier is more successful recruiting out of the state of SC than any other coach there has ever been. Several GA and FL players on his roster. However, most schools largest number of recruits come from within state, hence, FL, TX and Cal schools have a inherent recruiting advantage. Fact.

No. Doesn't imply that they can only recruit in state. But some states are certainly richer than others. Spurrier is more successful recruiting out of the state of SC than any other coach there has ever been. Several GA and FL players on his roster. However, most schools largest number of recruits come from within state, hence, FL, TX and Cal schools have a inherent recruiting advantage. Fact.

I agree. You can count in Pennsylvania and Ohio in that bunch. But it is a cop out for any coach to say that they have no chance for a NC because of their state.

I don't buy it.

That's actually a true statement. Not a cop out at all.

Clemson and SCar couldn't sustain their programs by solely (or primarily) focused on SC recruits. There just aren't enough of them. Most of Clemson's roster is made up of players from GA, NC and FL.

That's actually a true statement. Not a cop out at all.

Clemson and SCar couldn't sustain their programs by solely (or primarily) focused on SC recruits. There just aren't enough of them. Most of Clemson's roster is made up of players from GA, NC and FL.

I understand that. Wisconsin's roster is filled with players from out of state. But to accept 3rd and 4th place finishes because the school isn't in Florida is a joke

Headed up to Penn St for UCF game. Excited to watch a game in that stadium/atmosphere. Had a blast last year when UCF played at Ohio St, hopefully this year the result is on our favor.

Also speaking of Spurrier, USCe comes to Orlando and plays at UCF in two weeks. Looking forward to that too! Goal is to only have one highlight in Clowney's draft video come from that game haha.

Everyone should have listened to me 3 years ago. We wouldnt have this problem right now.

I love this picture of him at the BCG Championship Game, just giving Cam the stare down like a butthurt spoiled brat that knows his smear campaign to make him and his awful "journalism" relevant, just didnt work without facts...

(Cam in the Auburn jersey, Thayer Evans on the right with a sourpuss face)

So, so great.

I understand that. Wisconsin's roster is filled with players from out of state. But to accept 3rd and 4th place finishes because the school isn't in Florida is a joke

You're looking at it the wrong way (per the usual).

A school doesn't have to be located in the states of Florida, California, or Texas to be considered a national championship contender. But, if the school is not located in one of these talent-rich areas, the school needs to plan on recruiting out-of-state players if it wants to be a national championship contender.

Clemson is a perfect example. If it only recruited players from SC (or even strongly relied on SC as its primary talent pool), it would not be able to compete for a national championship, and it wouldn't be close.

Past Clemson coaches focused way too much on "closing the border" of SC to out of state schools. In reality, the focus should be more on spreading the school's recruiting base to as many states as possible. Dabs has done that, and the results have been pretty fantastic.

I'll also add that if a coach ever says that his school can't compete because his state is not filled with top-level talent, the coach should be fired immediately.

Whoop......I mean Whoops.

BUDT9omCQAAF2mM.jpg

Hook Em Johnny Football?

I'll also add that if a coach ever says that his school can't compete because his state is not filled with top-level talent, the coach should be fired immediately.
Agreed that is why I think Pinkel will not last long in Columbia with the way recruiting is going.

Well the smoke and turned into fire down in Austin.

"DeLoss Dodds, who has guided the Texas athletic department for 32 years, including its growth into the top revenue producer in college athletics, will step down as athletic director by the end of the calendar year, two well-placed sources close to the situation told Orangebloods.com."

Well the smoke and turned into fire down in Austin.

"DeLoss Dodds, who has guided the Texas athletic department for 32 years, including its growth into the top revenue producer in college athletics, will step down as athletic director by the end of the calendar year, two well-placed sources close to the situation told Orangebloods.com."
What does this mean, if anything, for Mack?

What does this mean, if anything, for Mack?

It was big. It has long been rumored that Dodds and Mack had an exit plan and it revolved around both of them together. Dodds contract was only for another year and he's been on record as saying he wanted no part in trying to fill another football head coaching position. Powers the President has never been as big a backer for Mack as Dodds has been. So with Dodds stepping down by years end gives speculation that he wants to give the new AD time to fill what head coaching rolls might be needed then. Guesses would be that the new AD would want to bring in a new guy, his guy, to rebuild. Rumor is circulating around the Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, a Stanford product.

It was big. It has long been rumored that Dodds and Mack had an exit plan and it revolved around both of them together. Dodds contract was only for another year and he's been on record as saying he wanted no part in trying to fill another football head coaching position. Powers the President has never been as big a backer for Mack as Dodds has been. So with Dodds stepping down by years end gives speculation that he wants to give the new AD time to fill what head coaching rolls might be needed then. Guesses would be that the new AD would want to bring in a new guy, his guy, to rebuild. Rumor is circulating around the Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, a Stanford product.
Wow. That's cray.

Wow. That's cray.

Something happened, whether Mack went in and told him what he's planning on doing at the end of the season or Dodds is helping Mack make the decision if he hasn't already. Crazy to think.

The kid from Boise drinking pickle juice makes me want a witch doctor.

I hate the Smurf Turf.

I am glad Boise is irrelevant again.

Good morning from Auburn! Big game in the SEC West today and it's not in College Station! Expect pictures from the grill in a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back