The 60 and over Thread

I have some stuff that I
Played this morning in fairly cool temps (40's). Played the course at 6,033 yards,par 71. At that length, and considering the temps,wind and spongy course, I am at my limit distancewise. First par-3 at 192 yards required a very well struck 3-wood. The last par-3 was 227 yards. I nutted a driver and ended up 4 feet from the hole (yes, I missed the putt). I have told myself that when I can't reach a par-3 with a driver, it is time to move up. It is getting close to that time with Hudson Mills.
The par 72s I play a couple leauges on are about that length. But I get an extra stroke!

I’m living vicariously through those all these rounds being posted. Seriously happy some of you are able to get out.
I had to pass on today due to rain. Now, temps will be in the upper 30s the next couple of days. That was OK in December and January as that is more than expected, but in March, nearly April? I think I'll pass on the next couple of days as well. :mad:

I’m living vicariously through those all these rounds being posted. Seriously happy some of you are able to get out.
I am too, about 3 weeks brfore I can play.

Sheesh, do you have the Nike Sasquatch in your spare Bag? :ROFLMAO:
About 20 years ago I had a Cobra driver in my bag that sounded like a tin can. It was just crazy loud, but I hit the crap out of it. Just about had to wear earplugs to hit it.

I got my Taylormade custom ball order last week. I’ve been playing the same ball from off the rack, so I haven’t touched my 48 logo balls yet. Today, I bought another dozen. My wife was like why? Well, I play 200+ rounds a year and I typically use a ball a round. Early or late season I may play a ball longer, but usually not. If I start playing the logo balls now, I won’t have any when I’ll want to play them in events. Maybe I should have gotten another 4 dozen. Ugh.

I spent the morning testing the Paradym driver against my G425 Max and a couple others (DarkSpeed, TSR2, and the two 430’s) let’s just say I’m a Ping guy? Nothing I hit was much better than my G425.
I’m going to hold off another season then decide whether I get the 430Max, the 10K or whatever the new GMax version is called.
I canceled the order, but in what was a completely unexpected development I might be hooking back up with an old friend… only this time with a different set of Recoils.
@1860VS might be the only one who remembers what I’m talking about. 😉

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I had a Cobra driver in my bag that sounded like a tin can. It was just crazy loud, but I hit the crap out of it. Just about had to wear earplugs to hit it.
I love when I hit one 225 and it sounds like I hit it 280 when I’m on the range. The Members here think I’m another DeChambeau. 😂

I spent the morning testing the Paradym driver against my G425 Max and a couple others (DarkSpeed, TSR2, and the two 430’s) let’s just say I’m a Ping guy? Nothing I hit was much better than my G425.
I’m going to hold off another season then decide whether I get the 430Max, the 10K or whatever the new GMax version is called.
I canceled the order, but in what was a completely unexpected development I might be hooking back up with an old friend… only this time with a different set of Recoils.
Recoils? DCB's? DO IT!!!!!

Wife and I were talking. I was telling her how much I love the new G425 hybrid.....and that I honestly couldn't think of even another addition to the rotation to improve the bags performance or all conditions versatility.
She looked at me and said deadpanned "Carls spring show is right around the corner, I am sure you will find something".

God I love her.

Sound was the only reason I swapped my G525 Max for a G430. They are back to kind of obnoxious with the 10K, but I don't care for it anyhow. I hit a lot of pushes with it with any shaft. Not a fade, just not getting the face closed so my in to out path went straight right, not the baby draw I have been hitting the last few years when I get the face squared up and the in to out path.. I think its because its so long heel to toe. Even shafts with different torques didn't help me alleviate the problem.
I hit it for the first time today, and it looked like it sat open at address as compared to the G425 & 430 Max.

Wife and I were talking. I was telling her how much I love the new G425 hybrid.....and that I honestly couldn't think of even another addition to the rotation to improve the bags performance or all conditions versatility.
She looked at me and said deadpanned "Carls spring show is right around the corner, I am sure you will find something".

God I love her.
Yup Carl’s Golfland is a dangerous place.

I was watching some driver testing on YouTube, Elite Performance or something like that. One thing I saw was, in the hands of a human, the swing speed with the Paradigm AI Smoke was 2-3 mph slower than the TM, Ping, etc. I think maybe it’s a failing of a robot that it always swings the club at the same speed no matter what because it doesn’t feel different aero drag. OTOH, we swing so slow it might not matter.

I was watching some driver testing on YouTube, Elite Performance or something like that. One thing I saw was, in the hands of a human, the swing speed with the Paradigm AI Smoke was 2-3 mph slower than the TM, Ping, etc. I think maybe it’s a failing of a robot that it always swings the club at the same speed no matter what because it doesn’t feel different aero drag. OTOH, we swing so slow it might not matter.
Your last sentence sums up my thinking vis a vis drivers.
At the speed I’m swing now, what gains am I really going to get distance wise with a new driver? Especially when mine is pretty much optimized? Ping G drivers might not be the longest, but they in the conversation for sure, and they’re at the top when it comes to forgiveness, imo.
When I’m playing in a comp, it’s a nice feeling to know my drive is usually going to be in play. That’s not always the case with others in the flight I play. (on the other hand, I give that advantage right back if I miss a green and my short game rears it‘s ugly head)

Last edited:
Your last sentence sums up my thinking vis a vis drivers.
At the speed I’m swing now, what gains am I really going to get distance wise with a new driver? Especially when mine is pretty much optimized? Ping G drivers might not be the longest, but they in the conversation for sure, and they’re at the top when it comes to forgiveness, imo.
When I’m playing in a comp, it’s a nice feeling to know my drive is usually going to be in play. That’s not always the case with others in the flight I play. (on the other hand, I give that advantage right back if I miss a green and my short game rears it‘s ugly head)
At this point, I think finding more forgiveness is kind of a thing. As Father Time catches up to us, I figure we’re going to eventually need more loft and softer shafts. If you have something that’s working for you now, then stick with it. But when it’s turns on you …. You know what to do.

The recent cooler weather created some interesting situations. Casual “water.”

View attachment 9251518
When my son was younger, he loved playing when there was a bit of snow on the ground. We'd be on the course and it's like he was trying to find snow to hit his ball into, lol.

That new Paradym is nice. Very nice. Just not nice enough to justify firing my G430 Max.

I was watching some driver testing on YouTube, Elite Performance or something like that. One thing I saw was, in the hands of a human, the swing speed with the Paradigm AI Smoke was 2-3 mph slower than the TM, Ping, etc.

I think maybe it’s a failing of a robot that it always swings the club at the same speed no matter what because it doesn’t feel different aero drag. OTOH, we swing so slow it might not matter.

Was it this one?

I played our Norman Course today, and I hit the ball very well. Unfortunately I putted worse than I can ever remember. On the front 9 alone I missed 4 par putts from inside 5 feet and a 4 foot birdie putt on a par 5. My partner shot a 40, and I had 44. When he added up our scores on the front he said “that’s crazy… you hit the ball way better than me tee to green”. Uh, yeah, I know… I was in the cart with you.
It didn’t get much better on the back 9 either. I turned what could’ve been a very good score into an 86.
I’ve been concentrating so much on my full swing lately that I’ve completely ignored my putting (it’s usually very good) and I should know better. I’m not good enough to take anything in golf for granted.

Last edited:
I played our Norman Course today, and I hit the ball very well. Unfortunately I putted worse than I can ever remember. On the front 9 alone I missed 4 par putts from inside 5 feet and a 4 foot birdie putt on a par 5. My partner shot a 40, and I had 44. When he added up our scores on the front he said “that’s crazy… you hit the ball way better than me tee to green”. Uh, yeah, I know… I was in the cart with you.
It didn’t get much better on the back 9 either. I turned what could’ve been a very good score into an 86.
I’ve been concentrating so much on my full swing lately that I’ve completely ignored my putting (it’s usually very good) and I should know better. I’m not good enough to take anything in golf for granted.
Been there, done that. Lately poor driving has been my nemisis, reaching the greens in 1 over regulation puts a lot of pressure on the wedges........

Been there, done that. Lately poor driving has been my nemisis, reaching the greens in 1 over regulation puts a lot of pressure on the wedges........
It’s alway something with this game. If it’s not one thing it’s another. 🤷‍♂️

Back