The 60 and over Thread

It’s alway something with this game. If it’s not one thing it’s another. 🤷‍♂️
Indeed. But this new 4 hybrid looks like it might ease the pain when the big stick is misbehaving. At least on reasonably length courses. Dont know why I eschew the 5 and 7 wood off the tee unless its a long par 3, I need to fix that.

Crazy wind today, so much so golf balls were oscillating on the green. I did catch a good drive on 18, wind aided. I scribbled in the tree blocking half the fairway. The ideal shot is a draw around the tree; otherwise, the ball will not stay in the fairway. Blocked the approach though and left it short right. Another bogey, one of those days. I’ll have to exoand my book 1001 ways to screw up a good drive to 2001 ways.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 5
Indeed. But this new 4 hybrid looks like it might ease the pain when the big stick is misbehaving. At least on reasonably length courses. Dont know why I eschew the 5 and 7 wood off the tee unless it’s a long par 3, I need to fix that.
First it was the Paradym 6H, now it’s a 4 hybrid… Enough with those 28* FWs you like so much!
We gotta get you into a G425 5 hybrid, and you can join us on the dark side. 😜

First it was the Paradym 6H, now it’s a 4 hybrid… Enough with those 28* FWs you like so much!
We gotta get you into a G425 5 hybrid, and you can join us on the dark side. 😜
Oh, my 9 wood isn't fired, its just on vacation because I don't have room for a shovel to retrieve my ball after it lands on soft spring ground! With the workability of the 6 and 4 hybrids, I can cover the 5 with a turned over 6 or a cut 4. I need the room for that 64* wedge....... Another buddy bought one this week after I thinned his wallet with it. They are amazing, you guys really need to give them a try.

Oh, my 9 wood isn't fired, its just on vacation because I don't have room for a shovel to retrieve my ball after it lands on soft spring ground! With the workability of the 6 and 4 hybrids, I can cover the 5 with a turned over 6 or a cut 4. I need the room for that 64* wedge....... Another buddy bought one this week after I thinned his wallet with it. They are amazing, you guys really need to give them a try.
I was short sided right in front of a bunker today and I really could’ve used that 64*. I ended up lending a 58* 20 yard flop about 10’ past the pin that rolled out another 3-4’

I’m living vicariously through those all these rounds being posted. Seriously happy some of you are able to get out.
IMG_2077.jpeg

This was Saturday. It’s pretty much melted by today but has replaced by wet and mud.

I need to look at these next time I'm in PGASS. 64* is probably too much for me but you don't know until you try.

Ole injured boy has gotten a couple rounds in. But in 2 days we start the southern slide thru. Have Haig/Callawassie, Atlantic Dunes and Old South in Hilton Head. Then head to Hammock Dunes for a few, Then Karoo at Cabot and finish up with a day in Augusta walking around. Here we go. Ha

I need to look at these next time I'm in PGASS. 64* is probably too much for me but you don't know until you try.
I think they also make them in 58 or 60… they go super high the 58 probably launches higher than a standard 60* but will probably carry only 45 yards at our SS.
With his speed @1860VS can probably stand 5 feet in front of you and hit it over your head with his 64*

I need the room for that 64* wedge....... Another buddy bought one this week after I thinned his wallet with it. They are amazing, you guys really need to give them a try.

This is interesting- Books like 3 Releases say even a 60* Lob Wedge should come with a Health Warning....

But I've only got a small area to practice in at home (20mx40m) so it's either foam balls or wedges. So over the winter have been using a Jaws Raw 64*/10 with different length swings as well as chipping and I'm really starting to like it. Course is so wet that I haven't bothered taking it out yet but am seriously looking to move from 50/56/60 to 50/56/64. Part of my thinking is that distance is more controllable on a short pitch or floated chip as the dynamic launch angle is significantly greater than the 60* therefore the distance error with swing speed is less.... Time will tell and it may end up with a 50/58/64 as our bunkers are relatively compact and a 58/10 may be better than a 56/12...

Always interesting this game..

A

This is interesting- Books like 3 Releases say even a 60* Lob Wedge should come with a Health Warning....

But I've only got a small area to practice in at home (20mx40m) so it's either foam balls or wedges. So over the winter have been using a Jaws Raw 64*/10 with different length swings as well as chipping and I'm really starting to like it. Course is so wet that I haven't bothered taking it out yet but am seriously looking to move from 50/56/60 to 50/56/64. Part of my thinking is that distance is more controllable on a short pitch or floated chip as the dynamic launch angle is significantly greater than the 60* therefore the distance error with swing speed is less.... Time will tell and it may end up with a 50/58/64 as our bunkers are relatively compact and a 58/10 may be better than a 56/12...

Always interesting this game..

A
The Smart Sole takes the angst out of the angle. The 64 SS is as easy to hit as a 54⁰ conventional wedge.. Maybe easier.

I think they also make them in 58 or 60… they go super high the 58 probably launches higher than a standard 60* but will probably carry only 45 yards at our SS.
With his speed @1860VS can probably stand 5 feet in front of you and hit it over your head with his 64*
The 64 will readily carry 70% as far as my 58 with just a normal full wedge swing, no full wind up. (For me 70 yds vs 100, and I could even do the match without a calculator :D ) BUT, when I hit it 50 yards it is around the limit for drop and stop within a couple feet. After than the ball is really spinning and you know its coming back at you. Perfect for safety carries past tucked pins. Perfect for impressing the cocktail crew sitting on the veranda over the 18th with the pin tucked tight behind the pond. ( If you care. LOL ) Not so good for pinpoint accuracy because you are not sure when it will stop coming back. But I got lucky on a shot I pulled the string on last Round, flew it 10 yards deep, and it spun all the way back down the slope to 2'. After my shot he dumped his in the water trying to get close. Worth 6 $10.00 skins and a steak for the win. He called me later that day wanting a rematch, but warned me he bought a SS 64* at GG on his way home. LOL Rematch this weekend.

That's what my yard and driveway looked like the other day. The one good thing about March and April snow is that it doesn't stay long.
I ended up not having power for 43 hours because this snow was accompanied by freezing rain and ice. It’s practically all melted by this morning.

I ended up not having power for 43 hours because this snow was accompanied by freezing rain and ice. It’s practically all melted by this morning.
I’m sorry to hear that, @Bernoulli. Hope everything is back to normal.

That scenario scares the hell out of me as I don’t have a generator. We do have a wood burning stove that’ll keep our pipes from freezing, however. Whenever we’ve lost power in the past it has only been for a few hours. But I have friends up here who have been without electricity for several days. I can’t imagine what kind of mood my wife and I would be in after a being stuck in the house together for a week without power. :cautious:

Makes not playing golf a first-world problem.

I have a 60* wedge but with my slow swing speed it is only useful on short sided shots.
My slow swing speed means I don't need a lot of long clubs and carry two 58s instead!

I think your normal shot shape is a factor. If you hit a draw you need more loft than someone like me who normally hits a high fade.

I’m sorry to hear that, @Bernoulli. Hope everything is back to normal.

That scenario scares the hell out of me as I don’t have a generator. We do have a wood burning stove that’ll keep our pipes from freezing, however. Whenever we’ve lost power in the past it has only been for a few hours. But I have friends up here who have been without electricity for several days. I can’t imagine what kind of mood my wife and I would be in after a being stuck in the house together for a week without power. :cautious:

Makes not playing golf a first-world problem.
Thanks. All is well. Fortunately, we have family that lives 10 minutes away that had power the entire time. We stayed there. I just had to throw some food out from the fridge. I don't have a generator. I would like one but my next door neighbor had one of the natural gas generators outside their house close to our house. It caught fire during one of it's periodic tests. Ever since that happened, my wife is completely against the idea of a generator.

We were fortunate that it was in March and the temperatures during the time we were without power were such that freezing pipes were not a concern. The temperature in the house got down to 49 but it was sunny and in the 40s outside both days we were without power.

I had a 58* SS for a short time. Just never got used to it. In compacted sand the bounce was too much and hard to manipulate the face open and have success. But I also know the SS 58* was intended to be hit straight on from the sand. Bunker play has never been a problem for me.

Thanks. All is well. Fortunately, we have family that lives 10 minutes away that had power the entire time. We stayed there. I just had to throw some food out from the fridge. I don't have a generator. I would like one but my next door neighbor had one of the natural gas generators outside their house close to our house. It caught fire during one of it's periodic tests. Ever since that happened, my wife is completely against the idea of a generator.

We were fortunate that it was in March and the temperatures during the time we were without power were such that freezing pipes were not a concern. The temperature in the house got down to 49 but it was sunny and in the 40s outside both days we were without power.
Yes, the old "get a generator or not" question. I like the idea of a generator tied into our natural gas line. We have never had the gas quit on us. The downside is the expense to purchase and install a generator as well as the noise. The guy across the street has a generator and if we lose power in the Summer, the noise is a real problem for us sleeping at night. Also, it is one more thing to pay annual maintenance fees and replace every 15-20 years. We would probably just try to travel to a hotel with power if we had an extended outage. Leave the water trickling or drain the pipes.

The nice thing is we have a gas water heater so we can still take a hot shower with the power off. An outage of a day or two is livable with hot water and a fireplace.

I ordered new irons recently and one of the things that helped make the decision is that Srixon said they could build the clubs with a "normal" swing weight. I contacted other manufacturers and they really couldn't get it down that much. My current irons are at E3 (pro golfers like McIlroy and DJ come in at D5). The new irons were delivered yesterday and the swing weight is D2. I took them for a spin at our simulator today. I picked up some yardage, which was a real surprise. I then hit my old 7-iron and it felt like swinging a sledge hammer. For example, my old 7-iron carried around 135ish, I carried the Srixon 6-iron (same loft as my old 7-iron) over 150 yards a couple of time.

Here is what I purchased:

ZX4: 6-iron, 1º weak
ZX5: 7,8-irons, standard loft
ZX7: 9-iron, PW, AW 1º strong

KBS Max 55 shaft

I ordered new irons recently and one of the things that helped make the decision is that Srixon said they could build the clubs with a "normal" swing weight. I contacted other manufacturers and they really couldn't get it down that much. My current irons are at E3 (pro golfers like McIlroy and DJ come in at D5). The new irons were delivered yesterday and the swing weight is D2. I took them for a spin at our simulator today. I picked up some yardage, which was a real surprise. I then hit my old 7-iron and it felt like swinging a sledge hammer. For example, my old 7-iron carried around 135ish, I carried the Srixon 6-iron (same loft as my old 7-iron) over 150 yards a couple of time.

Here is what I purchased:

ZX4: 6-iron, 1º weak
ZX5: 7,8-irons, standard loft
ZX7: 9-iron, PW, AW 1º strong

KBS Max 55 shaft
Nice!

Back